New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Dowrenland: Emeralds & Roses {IC}

After hearing his explanation, Kayquin is satisfied that the threat has been neutralized, for now, at least, and sheaths her rapier. "Well, we've already followed our furry friend this far, what's a little further? The ropes should slip off when he shrinks back down to size!" As she turns to follow the smaller rabbit, she begins to dig through her satchel.
    Notes for my coding challenged self
    Spoiler:
    Show
    [roll]1d?+?[/roll]

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Gisela nods at Kayquin, satisfied at her job. She picks up her Glaive, and pauses at the Hatta's morphing form. She searches for the right words from her training, but few come to her. Gods bless you, Hatta. You have a kindly soul beneath the raging form that you are said to have. May your wrath be short and may we not have to see each other as enemies.

She turns to enter the maze with the others. These camel tracks must be Bandy's, right? She points to the tracks with the tip of her spear, and waits for the others to follow before following the tracks cautiously. Being out of sight of the others makes me uncomfortable.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

"Do you think we're near the entrance?"

Cachimba has been growing more worrisome by the minute. "Ugh! My feet are tired." He has renewed the tobacco in his hookah twice since setting out. "Did you hear that? Gods above I tell you there's something over there! Oh. Just a butterfly. Haha..."

Heedless as usual, Cachimba rounds a corner and topples into Gisela. "Oh!" He bounces off of her sturdy form, juggles his hookah with frantic energy, and falls to the earth. "Gisela! My rock amid the storm. You've no idea the terrors we've faced!"
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Run out of your hookah-weed again?" Ghairen, shrugging her pack and the satchel Enya left behind back onto her person, steps out from behind Gisela's shadow. "Well, let us be a bit more co-ordinated in future. Kayquin dealt with the threat of the moment without issue, but it seems we are in a fairly dangerous location and scattering to the winds at the first sign of trouble may prove a less than optimal strategy."

Her eyes, still seething with the profane glow of the necromancy spell, search the bushes behind them. "No sign of Sunny?"

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Her eyes, still seething with the profane glow of the necromancy spell, search the bushes behind them. "No sign of Sunny?"
    She was right behind us a minute ago, she says. But she's been so quiet, I've barely been able to keep track of her. I fear her adventuresome spirit is waning. If nothing else, we should find a place for our esteemed sorceress to work out a living.

She turns to Cachimba, whom is making the most ridiculous fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Heedless as usual, Cachimba rounds a corner and topples into Gisela. "Oh!" He bounces off of her sturdy form, juggles his hookah with frantic energy, and falls to the earth. "Gisela! My rock amid the storm. You've no idea the terrors we've faced!"
    She kindly offers a hand up to the wizard, whom is now both wet and muddy. She laughs goodheartedly, asking What sort of terrors? By the way, shall we exit this maze that the enraged Hatta likes to roam around in?

more

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Cachimba opens his mouth to speak--

"Run out of your hookah-weed again? Well, let us be a bit more co-ordinated in future. Kayquin dealt with the threat of the moment without issue, but it seems we are in a fairly dangerous location and scattering to the winds at the first sign of trouble may prove a less than optimal strategy."
    "Why else would we come looking for you? Help us!" He throws himself between Ghairen and Gisela, as if they alone could shield him from the hedge walls. "It was awful, Gisela. We were trapped in the maze for what felt like days. We emerged, only to find ourselves in the middle of a vast lake! These brambles have scratched my hands so many times, and--" ACHOO! SNNNIIIIFFFF. "My robes are giving me my death of cold."
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

There, there, Cachimba, it wasn't all that bad.. By the way, everyone, I think we're on an island! Arisilde is consoling to Cachimba, whose nerves appear to be shot, but brightens on announcing the geographical discovery he's made. I think we're in the middle of a lake.

8. - Top - End - #218

"Indeed. We ourselves were forced to watch as numerous nameless civilians were savagely devoured by a numberless horde of cotton-tailed fiends. They were family. I was devastated." says Ghairen in the expressionless tones of one for whom "Bluff check" means "Watching out for cliffs". "Fortunately, Gisela and myself were able to make a stand in the shrubbery while Kayquin surrounded them. An island in a lake, you say? A maze on an island in a lake. How very landscaped. I do not suppose you found a boat?"

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Gisela watches Cachimba as Ghairen is telling her story. She starts chuckling halfway through, and is laughing by the end. She can't bring herself to lie despite the circumstances, but she does add matter-of-factly Kayquin managed to snag a big rabbit. She knocked it out all by herself, and then bound its hands with rope that Ghairen gave her. The paladin looms over the addict, and looks scary as she speaks. She stopa herself and turns to Ghairen, adding If Sunny is lost we will have to save her. She looks quire serious about the sorceress, all jokes aside.

more

10. - Top - End - #220

"No Sunny and no boat. And the gentlerabbit has wandered off as well." Ghairen looks thoughtful. It's the glowing red eyes that does it. "Quite. Since we must need find the one or the other, and preferably both, let us proceed. Kayquin, perhaps you could take the lead? Ari, Muttonchop, I presume you marked your trail as you went? It is what we carry chalk for."

She gives the two an expectant look, as the wind blows soft and tumbleweeds blow by.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

"Where did the civilians--" Slowly, realization dawns on Cachimba. "Oh, ha ha."

The fop inches closer to Kayquin as Gisela relates the halfling's part of the tale. "Well done!" He sees her in quite a new light. No longer merely dirty, but dirty and fierce. That will be important sometime, no doubt.

"Ari, Muttonchop, I presume you marked your trail as you went? It is what we carry chalk for."

She gives the two an expectant look, as the wind blows soft and tumbleweeds blow by.
    Cachimba throws a panicked look at Arisilde. "Erm, well..." the hookah bubbles. "It was such a trying time... But I assure you we left tracks! It's how we made our way back here."
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Would you like for us to have chalked the bushes, or the grass, Arisilde asks innocently? I would imagine the Bandy-tracks will make it easy to find our way back through. And, he adds thoughtfully, there was a small dock, but no boat was in evidence. He clicks his tongue in mock-exasperation at Kayquin.. Tsk, tsk, Kayquin! Knocking your host unconscious at a tea party is most.. unconscionable.. He snickers to himself briefly, and looks about at his companions for any sign of mirth, but finds that Bandy is by far the most amused at his words. Clearing his throat, his cheeks turning slightly pink, he adds, Of course, it's quite common for the goblins of Del'ga'Nauth.. In fact, any sort of get-together without at least three deaths is considered quite the boring affair. Concubine-binding ceremonies without bloodshed are actually annulled on the spot by the tribal shaman, which is made more complicated by the fact that tradition dictates they all carry cages full of mountain squirrels to the ceremony, even the shaman!.. If a single squirrel touches the ground, the goblin whose cage it fell out of is sacrificed to the Squirrel God of Mount Eichhornchen. Which then, of course, satisfies the requirement for bloodshed, at which point the ceremony is complete, and the celebrating can begin. They make a fabulous roast squirrel soup, though it's terribly spicy! I wrote a song about it, I'd be happy to sing it for you if you like!?!? Arisilde thinks for a moment.. Eeeeexcept when it's the shaman's squirrel that touches the ground, he recalls. In that case, the squirrels are all released, and they eat the concubine. Very strange. I've been meaning to add that verse to the song, but.. I'm having trouble finding a way to make it funny.
    Last edited by pife; 2014-09-29 at 09:42 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223

In all of the insanity and panic, Sunny indeed had seemed to disappear... though it did look like she had taken her satchel with her, wherever she had gotten off to. Recalling the past, she had done this once before, when tempers had flared - running off to some place where she could be alone for a while before catching back up to your party. Perhaps she had decided that this whole Dowrenland business was just simply too much to take and had retreated back through the mirror. The truth is, none of you had any real clue and it would likely be very difficult to discover if that was indeed the case.

As the second portion of the group enters the maze, trying to follow the white rabbit, Cachimba and Arisilde stumbled into them on their return. Enya, narrowly dodging the flabbergasted hookah-carrying man, now finds himself face-to-face with Bandy the camel... much to his dismay. After a curt and kneejerk apology, he squeaks by the beast and continues on. As the exchange is taking place, and everyone is getting their bearings as to which way the lot of you will actually be traveling in next, Kayquin rummages through the satchel that had been laid on the table before her.

Your group, deciding to follow Enya and investigate the claims of your bard and your... Cachimba, makes its way through the many turns and passes of the hedge maze. Before too long, you breach the maze and find yourselves on a small shoreline, looking out over a lake. There is a small dock, but you see no boat. The white rabbit looks suddenly saddened. "Well... the Pool seems to be a little more full than I expected to find it at this point. It looks like we may have to swim."

He then begins to secure all of his belongings, placing the hourglass around his neck within his shirt and vest, and so forth. It looked as though he was quite serious about having to get into the water here.

Spoiler: Kayquin Only!
    Show

Inside of your satchel, you find two different kinds of items - four small glass vials that appear to contain a watery mauve-colored liquid that bubbles slightly when agitated... each with a small golden tag which reads "Drink Me" attached to its neck.

In addition, wrapped in a piece of fine light-blue linen, you find two slightly hardened biscuits containing bits of what looks like dried fruit mixed in with the dough. These yet still seem to hold some warmth, despite how long they must have been out of the oven that baked them.
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2014-09-29 at 01:46 PM.
    "There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont
    "I fight... so that you don't have to."
    - Templar Thomas Marshall
    "I am not a warrior." "Very soon... you will be."
    - Conversation between Ahmad ibn Fadlan and Herger the Joyous

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

By the time he reaches the end of his third trek through the maze Cachimba has quite given up hope. He plops onto the shore near the others, cradling his hookah and barely managing enough energy to take a few puffs.

Then he hears Enya.

"Ha!" A more genuine smile has never been seen on Cachimba's face. "Hahaha!"

"And why on earth would you think I, a gentleman," there is no irony in his voice, "know how to swim?"
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Don't worry, Cachimba, Arisilde commiserates. I can't swim either, at least, not that far... Arisilde shades his eyes and looks to the far bank. Don't worry though, he pipes in happily. Bandy is a great swimmer. We'll just tie a rope to him and have him pull us behind him! Iddn't that right Bandy, you love a good swim, don'tcha? the bard happily rubs the camels nose, and hugs his big furry neck.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Kayquin peers inside her satchel, but before she can fully investigate, they rejoin the group returning from the shore. Once the entire group reaches the dock, and confirms that there is no obvious way across the water, Kayquin will plop herself down "Indian-style" on the ground and thoroughly explore the satchel. She pulls out a bottle of purplish liquid and what appears to be two hard biscuits. Anyone watching her would see her eyes light up and hear her excitedly exclaim, "FINALLY, food!, as she took a large bite of the biscuit. "I am starving!"
    Spoiler:
    Show
    [roll]1d?+?[/roll]

17. - Top - End - #227

Ghairen has been scanning the horizon for a sight of the shore, but her eyes widen as Kayquin sits and breaks out the mysterious rations. "Strange, we had bacon only an hour or so ago...oh wait. Halfling." She turns to Enya. "The pool. Is that a surreal metaphor, or do you expect this body of water to alter in depth?"

18. - Top - End - #228

As you debated about what you were going to do next, the white rabbit begins to wade out into the water. When only ankle-deep, Ghairen poses a question to him.

"It is the Pool of Tears, my dear. It is fed by the wellspring of Downrenland's sadness; of her collective peoples' worries and woes. I do not expect that it alters in depth... it does. And it brings me great despair that it is already so full. At this rate, we might all simply drown.", he explained. He then turned about as if to get his bearings, facing the southwest bank in what appeared to be the shortest distance to swim.

As Kayquin chomped down on the biscuit, it tasted quite good... though it seemed to swell somewhat in the mouth. It was a very light and airy treat, despite how dense and hard it seemed upon first inspection. In addition, it was warm and fresh - as if it had indeed just come from the oven! And it was quite delicious, really. So delicious, in fact, that before she had realized it... she had finished the entire biscuit! When the cleric mentioned something about only having ate not that long before, Enya turned back one last time. And his eyes went first to the satchel, and then to the last bite as the halfling stuffed it into her mouth. And then his eyes went wide and his ears laid back flat against his head.

With a twitch of his nose and whiskers, he stepped back a bit into slightly deeper water. "Oh no... you... you might want to give her a bit of space."

And with that, you all watched in absolute amazement as Kayquin quite suddenly grew! Before you knew it, there stood your halfling compatriot, but now she was roughly eight and a half feet tall!
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Wow, Kayquin! Now you're a two-and-a-Halfling!! How did you do that!?!? Wait, tears? Arisilde can't decide whether to watch to see what Kayquin does next or to look at Enya, so he does both, his head on a swivel, turning back and forth between them. That's why you didn't like the water, isn't it Bandy, Arisilde commiserates with a smile. I bet it was salty! Then Arisilde realizes that Enya doesn't appear to be joking, nor does he appear to be crazy. Arisilde's countenance becomes more serious for a moment. Master Enya, are Dowrenlands citizens sad because of the Red Queen's rule? Surely all is not as bad as that? And, the lake of tears is a metaphor, right? You don't actually mean that those are people's tears you're wading through, do you?

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Gisela looks in wonder at Kayquin's rather tall form, ostensibly from the bite of the cookie she took. You look marvelous, Kayquin! I bet it would be difficult to sneak around in that form, though, she says with an amused chuckle.

Okay, she thinks, Now I want to know what I received, too! and looks in her own present-box. As she is unwrapping her present, she listens to the exchange between Arisilde and Enya. Before Enya replies, she chimes in, If Dowrenland is so sad, what can we do to help? We are, after all, adventurers...

more

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Towed through a lake of tears by a camel? Giant halflings? For the first time, Cachimba puts his hookah aside.

"That's quite enough nonsense for one day." He closes his eyes and takes a deep, centering breath. "Rabbit, you have some explaining to do."
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

22. - Top - End - #232

Ghairen decides she might as well take what comes as the facts until proven otherwise. "A lake of tears that might rise and drown us all. A food that makes us larger. No boat. Sunny adrift and on her own, being randomly impolite to innocent wildlife." She gives a little shudder. "A dreadful impression she will make for us. Mr Rabbit. How deep is the lake? Would be be possible for us to wade across in an enlarged form?"

23. - Top - End - #233

At the barrage of questions being fired at him, Enya relents and comes back ashore, holding up his paw-like hands for a reprieve, that he may answer.

"First of all, my name is not 'Rabbit' anymore than your name is 'Man'. I am called Enya, as you well know. Master Enya certainly has a nice ring to it...", he says with a thankful nod towards Arisilde. The rabbit strokes one of his ears, catching himself mid-action, and then straightens himself and continues, "Now, to answer you - yes, Dowrenlanders are very sad... and with good reason. Those under Queen Deth's rule...", he pauses at the looks and explains, "The Red Queen. Her name is Ilradeth. The nickname comes with good reason as well. At any rate, those within the Kingdom of Hearts certainly have the most reason to be sad. But likewise, those in the Kingdom of Diamonds and the Kingdom of Clubs have much cause for tears as well. We lost Glinda, our benevolent witch, and those in the north lost their Emperor. We live in trying times indeed. So no, the lake is no metaphor, I am afraid. And I am not sure what can be done about it... unless you wish to kill the Red Queen and the Obsidian King... as well as the Obsidian Queen, likely... and their hordes of evil and vile things."

He smiles weakly, indicating that this is not the outcome that he expects.

"As to how deep the Pool of Tears is, I don't rightly know, though I would think very deep. And I doubt that the Issica Biscuits will make enough of a difference to enable even the taller among you to simply wade across. Although...", he says as his long ears twitch back towards the open water, followed by his trembling nose and eyes. Following his gaze, you could see something on the water's surface a fair distance off. It had what appeared to be a sail and was gliding its way across the lake, heading in a southward direction. Although it didn't look like its path would come that close to the island that you were on... it would certainly pass close enough to at least see you.[/color]"
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

But, Master Enya, Arisilde persists... Why do the citizens live under such tyranny? Why do they not throw down their oppressors? It's really rather like camels, I should think, he begins. When the herd has a bull that just leads the pack around, without finding them any water, or that regularly drags them through infertile desert areas too often, the cows refuse to mate with him. Once that happens, he gets falls into a terrible depression, you see, and then they.. Arisilde looks around at his friends, at their blank, disinterested faces... Bandy drops his head heavily onto the bard's shoulder, causing him to grunt. Well, he says, abashed.. It's at least a bit like camels, anyway.. These poor people need to be helped

25. - Top - End - #235

Ghairen looks at her compatriots questioningly. "Shall we wave?" Then, seeing Arisilde is more preoccupied with the long-term situation; sets down her pack and begins coating an arrowhead in lamp-oil. hunting for her whistle.

EDIT:[Ghairen is the only one of my characters who isn't carrying oil. It's easy to forget]

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Kayquin had a brief moment of pleasure as she finished the delicious biscuit before she began to feel...strange. Pleasure quickly turned to panic and pain as she began to stretch and grow. Once she stopped growing, she looked around, observing her environment from her new vantage point. Hearing Enya describing the plight of the Kingdom, and more than a little drunk on the idea of being the biggest around for once, she thinks aloud, I'm as big as an ogre, I could smash the Red Queen! We just need to get there." She spies the boat and begins waving frantically, desperately trying to flag it down.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    [roll]1d?+?[/roll]

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Gisela is looking thoughtful, watching her companions. For once, she seems to be at a total loss of what to do. After a good deal of contemplation, she speaks up.If Dowrenland is sad, then it behooves us to take upon ourselves the quest of relieving these people of their great sadness, be that by slaying the Red Queen, Ildraith, and the Obsidian King and Queen. However, Master Enya, I think it would help if we could talk with any potential allies before we attempted a war. Could you possibly lead us to this Diamond Kingdom or the Kingdom of Clubs?

more

28. - Top - End - #238

"Well, revolution is all fine and good. But when you live in a place where speaking out against a ruler is punishable by beheading... it tends to quell most of the rebellious spirit. Her Crimson Phalanx patrols the streets of Iomipa, Kinnum, Sathena, and now Ollipo as well. And what's worse is that she offers reward to those that betray any traitors to her crown. So now, the people turn against one another in order to prevent themselves from becoming suspect. Such a shame, really."

Enya stood still, looking at the ground and shaking his head for a long moment. The boat, meanwhile, sailed closer, though it seemed as though it would not be coming to the island on its path.

When Gisela asked about speaking with potential allies, the white rabbit livened up. "But of course, my lady. That's precisely where I am headed now - to the Kingdom of Clubs... my home! My Queen will be most exuberant at you deciding to aid our cause!"
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erasmas View Post
    When Gisela asked about speaking with potential allies, the white rabbit livened up. "But of course, my lady. That's precisely where I am headed now - to the Kingdom of Clubs... my home! My Queen will be most exuberant at you deciding to aid our cause!"
    Since the start of this entire ordeal, the paladin finally felt as if she had taken a step to a worthy, difficult and rewarding adventure. Overcome, and even starting to tear up, she grabs the rabbit in a sudden and nearly bone-crushing embrace. Master Enya, she says, I feel so glad that we are on a path towards making things right!! We will sort this out, you'll see!! She suddenly remembers herself and her strength, and releases hold of the noble rabbit, setting him back down gently. Wiping a tear from her face, she looks at Arisilde with a look that says I've adventured for this for the last three years for a moment like this.

Gisela's back straightens just a little bit, and she seems more full of spirit than she has in a long time.

more

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

How many times has Cachimba heard "'ere, take a puff, maaaaan" while idling in a den? He decides it is not so great a crime to be called Rabbit, and considers how many terribly stuffy and skittish Rabbits he has known in his time.

Gisela, Kayquin, and Ghairen speak their minds as Cachimba is lost within his own. "Ugh," he laments to himself. "How did I find myself in a group of adventurers?" It's such a trialsome life, full of danger and without anything resembling comfort for interminable stretches of time. Nothing at all what life must be like out on that boat. The sails to shade him from the sun, the gentle rocking of the ship, like his crib so long ago. No doubt there are cushions tucked away in every corner, with gorgeous women waving palm fronds and serving fruit and wine. Quite unconsciously, Cachimba reaches for his hookah and lights it with a tindertwig. His hand finds the wand without the aid of his eyes, and the wand finds his lips with all the effort of a dream. A deep draw, smoke fills his lungs, and Cachimba puffs it out into the air.

And out there, on the boat, smoke begins to rise from the planks on deck. It is slow and small at first, but soon blooms into a cloud as large as a camel. The cloud swirls lazily next to the bulwark closest to the shore where the party is gathered. It coalesces into the very image of Cachimba. This image stands, arms stretched out toward the shore, beckoning for Cachimba to be reunited with himself once more, for his imagination to become reality.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.