New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Spells of Odin

In "Sayings of the High One" (part of the Poetic Edda), Odin lists a number of spells that he knows. (My translation is by Carolyne Larrington.) I think it would be interesting to see how many of them we can translate into D&D abilities, and how many we can shove onto one character (at as low a level as possible).

Quote Originally Posted by Sayings of the High One, stanzas 146-163
    I know those spells which a ruler's wife doesn't know,
    nor any man's son;
    'help' one is called,
    and that will help you
    against accusations and sorrows
    and every sort of anxiety.

I know a second one which the sons of men need,
    those who want to live as physicians.

I know a third one which is very useful to me,
    which fetters my enemy;
    the edges of my foes I can blunt,
    neither weapon nor club will bite for them.

I know a fourth one if men put
    chains upon my limbs;
    I can chant so that I can walk away,
    fetters spring from my feet,
    and bonds from my hands.

I know a fifth if I see, shot in malice,
    a dart flying amid the army:
    it cannot fly so fast that I cannot stop it
    if I see it with my eyes.

I know a sixth one if a man wounds me
    with the roots of the sap-filled wood:
    and that man who conjured to harm me,
    the evil consumes him, not me.

I know a seventh one if I see towering flames
    in the hall about my companions:
    it can't burn so widely that I can't counteract it,
    I know the spells to chant.

I know an eighth one, which is most useful
    for everyone to know;
    where hatred flares up between the sons of warriors,
    then I can quickly bring settlement.

I know a ninth one if I am in needs,
    if I must protect my ship at sea;
    the wind I can lull upon the wave
    and quieten all the sea to sleep.

I know a tenth one if I see witches
    playing up in the air;
    I can bring it about that they can't make their way back
    to their own shapes,
    to their own spirits.

I know an eleventh if I have to lead
    loyal friends into battle;
    under the shields I chant, and they journey inviolate,
    safely to the battle,
    safely from the battle,
    safely they come everywhere.

I know a twelfth one if I see, up in a tree,
    a dangling corpse in a noose:
    I can so carve and colour the runes
    that the man walks
    and talks with me.

I know a thirteenth if I shall pour water
    over a young warrior:
    he will not fall though he goes into battle,
    before swords he will not sink.

I know a fourteenth if I have to reckon up
    the gods before men,
    Æsir and elves, I know the difference between them,
    few who are not wise know that.

I know a fifteenth, which the dwarf Thiodrerir
    chanted before Delling's doors:
    powerfully he sang for the Æsir and before the elves,
    wisdom to Sage.

I know a sixteenth if I want to have all
    a clever woman's heart and love-play:
    I can turn the thoughts of the white-armed woman
    and change her mind entirely.

I know a seventeenth, so that scarcely any
    young girl will want to shun me.
    Of these spells, Loddfafnir,
    you will long be in want;
    though they'd be good for you, if you got them,
    useful if you learned them,
    handy, if you had them.

I know an eighteenth, which I shall never teach
    to any girl or any man's wife—
    it's always better when just one person knows,
    that follows at the end of the spells—
    except that one woman whom my arms embrace,
    or who may be my sister.
    So. Lots of stuff to work with here, no? Let's get started.

The first spell is really vague. I don't know how to even begin approaching it. I'm totally open to ideas, though we may sadly have to write that one off. Calm Emotions, sorta-kinda, but I don't love that.

The second spell is some kind of healing magic. Remove Disease, the Cure line, that sort of thing.

The third spell . . . there's surely something that "blunt" "the edges of [your] foes," right? I mean hell, there's an utterance to do that (Reversed Strike of Might), so I'm sure there's a spell to do it. (You know, a 'Namer could even fulfill the first three of these . . . the first spell could be Recitation of Meditative State, the second Word of Nurturing, the third Reversed Strike of Might. But that's probably not the best path to go down.)

The fourth spell is obviously Freedom of Movement. (Or Reversed Inertia Surge . . . okay, I really need to stop this.)

I'm not sure about the fifth spell. There are plenty of spells to mess with arrows being fired (Wind Wall and Protection from Arrows, if nothing else), but this spell seems like it's an immediate action. Are there any immediate spells that will stop an arrow, or are we going to have to have Wind Wall be good enough?

The sixth one is going to be tricky. There's an ability or two out there to share damage as it's received, but is there anything to negate it on your end and send all of it back to your attacker?

The seventh spell is, basically, Quench. Simple enough. I think that's the first spell we've used that's not on the Cleric list, so maybe an Archivist is our guy to be our mini-Odin.

The eighth spell seems like the kind of thing that's out there somewhere, but I can't point to anything. Charm Person seems clumsy as our answer.

The ninth spell seems to be Control Winds/Control Weather. There may be something even more specific in Stormwrack, but I don't have it open right this second.

The tenth spell is driving me nuts, because that seems like the kind of spell that D&D has (probably in some FR book—they love that kind of thing). I know that there are spells that FORCE shapechangers back into their normal shapes, but I don't know of any that PREVENT it. The fact that the witches aren't in "their own spirits" may mean that they're disembodied or using something like Magic Jar, perhaps . . . but I'm interested in hearing suggestions about this one.

The eleventh spell is very vague. It's some kind of protective spell that affects multiple allies, that much we can tell. Chained Magic Vestment seems a bit boring for this, but it might work. I bet there's a better answer, though.

The twelfth spell is a simple rez, so Raise Dead or something similar. Impressive for Odin, but easy for a D&D Cleric. Make of that what you will.

The thirteenth spell is another protective spell that works on an ally. I don't think we're going to get an exact match for "pouring water" as part of it, but maybe Stoneskin or something like that?

I can't tell what the fourteenth means, nor am I really sure what the fifteenth means. They seem to be divinations of some kind, or else spells that increase Knowledge checks. Maybe. I'm not really sure. (Hidden Truth?)

The sixteenth, while creepy, is a pretty basic enchantment. Charm Person would work, or even Dominate if you really want to be thorough (and, as I said, creepy) about it.

The seventeenth seems to be the inverse of Charm Person. Rather than making a single target like you, you make yourself attractive to everyone. I'd lay good odds that there's a Bard spell out there somewhere that makes you more generally personable. Dipping into psionics, Attraction is kind of appropriate, but it has the same weakness as Charm Person (that it targets one person rather than making you actually attractive).

The eighteenth has no information as to what the spell itself actually does, so we can't do anything with it.

So that's what works off the top of my head, but I know we can do better. How do we represent as many of Odin's spells as possible, ideally on one character? An Archivist is the current contender for the best choice, though that's hardly a surprise. What else can we find?
    Last edited by Zaq; 2014-08-17 at 02:21 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: The Spells of Odin

1st What about Zone of Truth -- protects from accusations
    5th Friendly Fire works for this, or Wings of Cover
    6th is talking about harming the one who conjured to harm you -- Spell Turning
    8th is Calm Emotions
    14th True Seeing/Arcane Sight (knowing the differences between gods and men, foiling disguises)
    16th Mind Rape, or Programmed Amnesia. Actually changes their mind, doesn't just cause them to ignore themselves.
    17th Sirine's Grace comes with a healthy bonus to Charisma.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

1st spell:

"'help' one is called,
    that will help you
    and every sort of anxiety."

I think it's pretty obvious that this one is Chain Lightning.

Being accused? Chain Lightning the bastard. Experiencing sorrows? Chain Lightning will make them go away. Anxiety? Not anymore, thanks to Chain Lightning.

On a more serious note, the sixth spell has two parts, sorta. Maybe the second part ("and that man who conjured to harm me, the evil consumes him, not me.") could be Steal Summoning? Enemy conjures up a demon, Odin takes control of it, demon destroys enemy.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2014-08-17 at 05:32 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

1 is very broad and thus likely very powerful. Well, what else would a god turn to for help but Miracle?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    The second spell is some kind of healing magic. Remove Disease, the Cure line, that sort of thing.
    I'm again thinking "god" and therefore thinking big - something that can do both, like Heal, or Panacea.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5

As for 10, perhaps Permanency, Baleful Polymorph or Polymorph Any Object:
    -Permanency is allowed to make spells outside the main list permanent, but it has a XP cost.
    -He's mentioning both Spirit and form, and that the witches seem to be as birds, which generally have low HD, which would make a high DC Baleful Polymorph [into the form of a bird you already are] perfect, as they'll even eventually loose class abilities [spirit].
    -Polymorph Any Object works like Permanancy, but without the XP cost.

Given what I know about Odin though, It'd probably be Permanency, because they're supposed to be [relatively] low power and rather active.

I'll get to others later.

Current Ideas:
    1: I first thought Zone of Truth, but perhaps Calm Emotions would be better.
    2: Heal
    3: Peacebond, Potentially modified for when they're already armed.
    4: Freedom of Movement. No Argument.
    5: There's a spell called Deflection I think, which is basically an action to use Deflect Arrows, perhaps a modified version of that. Or a sustained Telekenises and he grapples the arrow mid flight?
    6: Friendly Fire. Or if you think it's more magic, Spell Turning.
    7: Some version of Dispel Magic.
    8: Calm Emotions.
    9: Control Winds.
    10: Permanancy.
    11: There's spells that could do like this, but most end if you attack or make you incorporeal.
    12: Resurrection.
    13: Possibly Magic Vestment. With Odin's caster level the AC bonus should have him laughing.
    14: ... I'd... Huh? No clue what that's even talking about... Unless it's identifying Shapeshifters, the perhaps True Seeing.
    15: Any spell which can give a bonus to knowledge checks. Or perhaps Legend Lore/Some other divination.
    16: Mindrape.
    17: *Checks* Based on Elixer of Love, Charm Person.
    18: Some sort of combat spell perhaps, but a better way to know would find any spells cast by any wife or sister of Odin.
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2014-08-17 at 06:23 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

18th sounds like sex. Or perhaps just love where sisterly love is strong but not one that includes doing it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

15: Daylight, Searing Light, or some other sun-related spell. (Dellingr seems to be a reference to the sun).

8. - Top - End - #8

The sixth one is going to be tricky. There's an ability or two out there to share damage as it's received, but is there anything to negate it on your end and send all of it back to your attacker?
    Kinetic Control, from the epic level handbook

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spell...ticControl.htm

The eighth spell seems like the kind of thing that's out there somewhere, but I can't point to anything. Charm Person seems clumsy as our answer.
    Calm Emotions or Sanctuary

The tenth spell is driving me nuts, because that seems like the kind of spell that D&D has (probably in some FR book—they love that kind of thing). I know that there are spells that FORCE shapechangers back into their normal shapes, but I don't know of any that PREVENT it. The fact that the witches aren't in "their own spirits" may mean that they're disembodied or using something like Magic Jar, perhaps . . . but I'm interested in hearing suggestions about this one.
    For the second one, Snare Dreamer (Call of Cthulhu d20 p 148) or Spirit Needle (Complete Arcane) might work.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-05-01 at 02:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    1st spell:

"'help' one is called,
    that will help you
    and every sort of anxiety."

I think it's pretty obvious that this one is Chain Lightning.

Being accused? Chain Lightning the bastard. Experiencing sorrows? Chain Lightning will make them go away. Anxiety? Not anymore, thanks to Chain Lightning.
    That sounds a bit more like Thor's territory to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.