New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread IV: All Your Base [Class] Are Belong to Us

Quote Originally Posted by kanachi View Post
    Yeah you will need to reformat it, though if you look at the title post in the contest itself you will see a full list of all the rules and all the code you need to get your format working. Its honestly pretty easy so don't let yourself be discouraged. I type up most of my work in word before hand and then just copy and paste it into the reliant slots and it only takes about 10 mins ir something. Also as far as I know (and I may be wrong) you cant have submitted the class elsewhere before hand or while the the contest is running.
    This is all accurate, (hopefully) including the ease of use. However, if you need help with tables/formatting, there are sources.

Or ask for help! I'm here to give that.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

2. - Top - End - #302
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread IV: All Your Base [Class] Are Belong to Us

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2go View Post
    No problem
    Hiya so I finally got round to checking the class. First off let me say that I very much like the idea and you seem to capture it pretty well with the mechanics. Obviously I'm a fine one to talk at these stage of development in my own class, but I would like to see a bit more fluff as you seem to have most the crunch sorted pretty well tbh.

Overall the class seems pretty well balanced, though in my opinion I think you have some wiggle room to add a bit more and flesh out the flavour of the class and pad some stuff into the "dead levels". Though I know they are not true dead levels as you gain the ability to make bigger and better contraptions and so on, I've always been a bit of a sucker for new "things" even if they are not particularly game changing every time I level up. It gives a greater sense of reward to the levelling process in my opinion.

You could consider something like a mild buff to certain skill checks (craft, knowledge architecture/engineering and dungeoning are pretty obvious ones). Alternative a bonus to skill checks, damage or attack rolls VS non-organic constructs may be fitting?

Also for Engineered Form, your capstone ability, you probably want to allow the player to become a construct of their size. It would be kind of weird to be a large creature and build yourself a construct of lesser size. Also would you loose things like powerful build?

Also I would recommend quite a few more out of the box contraption options. At the moment our essentially battling against a spell casters spell list options and versatility, which are far broader for the most part. Obviously you cant compete against everything wizards have made for the big spell casting classes over the years, but you do need a bit more especially at higher levels).

Anyway, again overall I think its very strong! Great work! :)
    Last edited by kanachi; 2014-12-03 at 08:59 AM.
    OMFGWTF!!

3. - Top - End - #303

*stuff*
    Don't forget proficiencies and class skills, though. Mechanics aren't quiiiiiite done.

Also, agreed on dead levels. Camouflage is cool and all, but it's not really noteworthy past the first instance (+1) because it's so small. There are some feats that are pretty mediocre that would fit as bonus feat choices, so if you went that route, those would work (Complete Adventurer and Dungeonscape are good places to start off the top of my head, but I'll try to be more specific given a bit of time).

That said, the most important thing mechanically you have to do aside from class skills/proficiencies is that dead level at 2. You get +1 BAB, +1 Ref, +1 Will, and one contraption per day. It's okayyyyy but I think a little fluff bonus would be fun there. Even if it's just trap sense (or evasion that only applies to traps).

I don't really have time to look at the entries before the deadline, but if I do get a chance to just glance through, I'll do so and give my first thoughts (this was a first glance, for reference ). Good luck finishing up, everyone!
    Last edited by Temotei; 2014-12-03 at 12:50 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm sorry, but I'm simply going to pull from this contest. I thought I had a good concept, but I ran out of ideas that weren't just "a Druid, but UNDERGROUND". I'll keep an eye on the thread, and try to take part in the next contest. My apologies for any inconveniences I have caused (particularly in requesting an extension of the deadline and then near-immediately pulling) and I wish all of you the best of luck with your respective entries.
    Quote Originally Posted by OctoberRaven View Post
    "It's a fireball. It's basically a magic hand grenade."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #305
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UristMcRandom View Post
    I'm sorry, but I'm simply going to pull from this contest. I thought I had a good concept, but I ran out of ideas that weren't just "a Druid, but UNDERGROUND". I'll keep an eye on the thread, and try to take part in the next contest. My apologies for any inconveniences I have caused (particularly in requesting an extension of the deadline and then near-immediately pulling) and I wish all of you the best of luck with your respective entries.
    No worries dude, really sorry to hear that you wont be finishing though. Would it be ok if we keep the revised deadline however? I've kind of geared myself up for that date now (and even then there is a chance I will fail tbh, because I suck).
    OMFGWTF!!

6. - Top - End - #306

No worries dude, really sorry to hear that you wont be finishing though. Would it be ok if we keep the revised deadline however? I've kind of geared myself up for that date now (and even then there is a chance I will fail tbh, because I suck).
    Yeah, of course. It'd be a jerk move to take back an extension after telling everyone there was going to be one. Especially since it's over a weekend, when most peeps have the most time to work on this stuff.
    Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Yeah, of course. It'd be a jerk move to take back an extension after telling everyone there was going to be one. Especially since it's over a weekend, when most peeps have the most time to work on this stuff.
    Awesome there's no way I'm going to have time to work on this on the weekday, so having a weekend will be great.

PEACH
    Thanks! I'll probably be fleshing things out over the weekend. And yeah, there's not many higher-level contraptions yet just haven't found the time recently...

8. - Top - End - #308
    Banned

I...

Still don't really know what else to do with my class.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    I...

I'd say your class is pretty much done some sort of minor sustained combat ability might be nice, as would maybe some example encounters to summon, but really you could just take a break if you wanted

10. - Top - End - #310

I...

Write 5e's DMG.
    Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #311

Okay, Dungeoncrasher has been nerfed slightly, with one significant bonus, and one oddity cleared up.

Illiteracy: Gaining a Barbarian level will not give you literacy

Bounce: only one bounce.

Mobile Charge: Replaced with Bull-rush Expert: now he moves opponents an additional five feet fore every THREE points by which he exceeds their roll, not five.

Pinball Charge: Only one extra charge on a successful bull-rush. The extra charge may be a normal charge or a bull-rush, but takes a -5 penalty.

Momentum: it was worded so that it applied to attack rolls, now it only applies to bull-rush checks.

Juggernaut Charge: Keeps the ability to damage terrain as you move through it, ditches the additional charges and gains the ability to take double or triple the penalty to AC on a charge in order to gain double or triple the bonus.

Before critiquing, remember the bull-rush rules: it is not an attack roll, so your BAB doesn't help. Basically, only the things in this class, high strength, being larger, or the Improved Bull-rush feat add to this roll. Yes, Momentum could add +24 to this, but you have to have 120 feet to charge through, and that's not going to always happen. Heck, having a wall to squash people on isn't always going to happen. Now, the extra distances he can push people don't matter as much anyway, because he can't Bounce them repeatedly; it just allows him to reach farther walls.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Orc in the Playground

So if anyone fancies it I've pretty much finished putting most the details into place for my class: the Architect. I would still like to change a few things (like making Labourers a bit more interesting) but I'm running out of time, so we will see what I can come up with. Still if anyone fancies taking a look and giving me their thoughts I would be very grateful!
    OMFGWTF!!

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I knew I would need more space! Hit the 50k cap and have moved levels 4-6 of Contraptions as well as Augment Feats to a second page. I'll Contraptions out soon... after all, the deadline is in like a few hours.

Edit: Worked myself almost right to the deadline, then realized I hadn't done skills and proficiencies so I rushed them in the last minute or so I might be adding a couple things over the next few minutes, if that's okay. If not I can just reverse the edit.

Edit2: And holy frick I just realized I somehow saved an old edit of the second one arghhh lemme see if I can recover it...

Edit3: Okay, I managed to get some of it back. Not quite everything but oh well... the high level contraptions will just be a little extra sparse. Hopefully it's not too bad
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2014-12-08 at 02:58 AM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2go View Post
    I knew I would need more space! Hit the 50k cap and have moved levels 4-6 of Contraptions as well as Augment Feats to a second page. I'll Contraptions out soon... after all, the deadline is in like a few hours.

Edit: Worked myself almost right to the deadline, then realized I hadn't done skills and proficiencies so I rushed them in the last minute or so I might be adding a couple things over the next few minutes, if that's okay. If not I can just reverse the edit.

Edit2: And holy frick I just realized I somehow saved an old edit of the second one arghhh lemme see if I can recover it...

Edit3: Okay, I managed to get some of it back. Not quite everything but oh well... the high level contraptions will just be a little extra sparse. Hopefully it's not too bad
    Its good! Much improved with the greater selection of contraptions! My only remaining gripe with the class is your capstone ability which forces you into a medium sized body. While I like the image of a small gnome or something growing in size when the "mech up" it does feel a little strange that a large creature who took on this class would essentially shrink.

Still apart from that and perhaps a slight scarcity of good flavoursome fluff writing in places its a very solid class which I think captures the theme of the contest very well. Awesome work! You have a potential winner here I think :)
    OMFGWTF!!

15. - Top - End - #315
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    Okay, Dungeoncrasher has been nerfed slightly, with one significant bonus, and one oddity cleared up.

Illiteracy: Gaining a Barbarian level will not give you literacy

Bounce: only one bounce.

Mobile Charge: Replaced with Bull-rush Expert: now he moves opponents an additional five feet fore every THREE points by which he exceeds their roll, not five.

Pinball Charge: Only one extra charge on a successful bull-rush. The extra charge may be a normal charge or a bull-rush, but takes a -5 penalty.

Momentum: it was worded so that it applied to attack rolls, now it only applies to bull-rush checks.

Juggernaut Charge: Keeps the ability to damage terrain as you move through it, ditches the additional charges and gains the ability to take double or triple the penalty to AC on a charge in order to gain double or triple the bonus.

Before critiquing, remember the bull-rush rules: it is not an attack roll, so your BAB doesn't help. Basically, only the things in this class, high strength, being larger, or the Improved Bull-rush feat add to this roll. Yes, Momentum could add +24 to this, but you have to have 120 feet to charge through, and that's not going to always happen. Heck, having a wall to squash people on isn't always going to happen. Now, the extra distances he can push people don't matter as much anyway, because he can't Bounce them repeatedly; it just allows him to reach farther walls.
    These changes greatly improve the class and take away some of the mega dice rolling rounds that could stack up previously. Its great to see a powerful grappler/brawler class and I adore the theme! These changes make it far more appealing to both play and run. Great work! :)
    OMFGWTF!!

16. - Top - End - #316

Here we are.

I was delayed a bit because I was visiting my housemate at the hospital and preparing a presentation for this morning. Hopefully everyone got done with their last-minute changes.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2014-12-08 at 12:02 PM.
    Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #317
    Orc in the Playground

So with the current contest over and voting underway (get your votes in already!) I find myself itching for the next one. Anyone got any ideas/suggestions what the next theme will be? :)
    OMFGWTF!!

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I have no idea for the new contest... i think that a bunch of concepts where brought up while deciding for this but i'm not sure.

Spoiler: On a side note
    Show
    I want to apologize with Jormengand and r2d2go for i believe i'd been rude with them asking for PEACH and than neither posting a proper reply neither adjusting my entry (expecially on my bad, bad, BAD grammar and spelling issues!).
    University and a couple of other things had kept me busy in these days so i couldn't manage to work on my entry but i admit that maybe i could have found a couple of minutes for a proper reply since you have given me a bit of your time.
    Again, my apologies: i'll try to be more mindful and respectful next time.

19. - Top - End - #319

I suggest a holiday theme next.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    I suggest a holiday theme next.
    That is not a bad idea, it will be around the new year when the next one kicks off after all. Another option is to do something based on real world religions/gods, past or present (though obviously that could risk offending some people).
    OMFGWTF!!

21. - Top - End - #321

That is not a bad idea, it will be around the new year when the next one kicks off after all. Another option is to do something based on real world religions/gods, past or present (though obviously that could risk offending some people).
    As interesting as that could be, I'd rather steer clear of banned forum topics, even if they're not wholly banned in homebrew/gaming.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2014-12-12 at 11:41 AM.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #322
    Banned

I suggest not basing it on a tradition not everyone follows nor a deity (or even deities) not everyone worships, even if the forum rules weren't an issue. It could easily become boring for a number of people. Basing it on generic winter-ness would be a possibility, but... ehh.

I suggest that if you really want a Christmas-themed round, do it in such a way that there's room for something different - rituals and festivals could be a theme letting you do Christmas or doing something else. "Winter" is a bit boring, but achieves a similar goal.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eh, I'm not big on a Christmas theme. How about just Winter? And I know I suggest this one every time, but how about non-Dungeons-and-Dragons tabletop games?
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2014-12-12 at 04:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Eh, I'm not big on a Christmas theme. How about just Winter? And I know I suggest this one every time, but how about non-Dungeons-and-Dragons tabletop games?
    Ooh, sure. I could go for a Sigmarite warrior-priest...

25. - Top - End - #325

I suggest not basing it on a tradition not everyone follows nor a deity (or even deities) not everyone worships, even if the forum rules weren't an issue. It could easily become boring for a number of people. Basing it on generic winter-ness would be a possibility, but... ehh.
    My feelings, given form.

Yeah, we've been hanging onto that idea for a while. Would be a good one.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #326
    Orc in the Playground

I know I suggest this one every time, but how about non-Dungeons-and-Dragons tabletop games?
    What exactly do you mean by that? as in make a class for a system other than D&D 3.5? or do you mean, make a class for 3.5 that is based on a board game or other role playing system?
    OMFGWTF!!

27. - Top - End - #327

What exactly do you mean by that? as in make a class for a system other than D&D 3.5? or do you mean, make a class for 3.5 that is based on a board game or other role playing system?
    The second one, for sure.
    Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yes, the second one.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Orc in the Playground

Ok thats good! Yeah I would be happy to give this a go. I've got a pretty ridiculous board game collection at home so I'm sure I could conjure something up from all that. If not there is always room or a hungry hungry hippo class. lol :)
    OMFGWTF!!

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I could work with using another game... *plots*