New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Range Time

1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Range Time

Regarding the .22LR shortage specifically, the biggest cause is that so many more rounds can be fired nowadays. Twenty years ago, when anyone in my family shot .22, it was a pocket revolver or a Marlin repeater, fired either to get rid of a squirrel or rat, or because we couldn't afford "real" ammo for recreational shooting. A 5000 round block of ammo would last three, four months easily. Nowadays, with things like an AR-pattern rifle in .22, we would go through that same block of ammo in a weekend, possibly a couple of hours because the experience is much closer to what we'd get with the full cartridge.

Equally important, rimfire ammunition cannot be reloaded the way centerfire ammo can be. This greatly increases the stress on the manufacturing end because the out of factory supply drops much faster, and making complete rounds is more involved than just shipping unloaded slugs, which makes up a significant portion of the civilian market of the centerfire calibers.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

I’ve heard that some store employees are hoarding ammo as it comes into stores as well. I have no idea if it’s true or how widespread it is if it’s actually happening.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    I’ve heard that some store employees are hoarding ammo as it comes into stores as well. I have no idea if it’s true or how widespread it is if it’s actually happening.
    That would not really be any different that a customer being there when the truck arrives. They still have to pay for it, and I guarantee that the issues with ammo magically dissapearing off manifests that would come with employees stealing our squirreling away ammo would be fast and hard enough that no one would risk it.

Also, I found a name for my thing where I just like doing fun hard things; homesteading. So I'm less prep concerned and more a hermit who wants to farm and use an almanac thereof.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah homesteading is a thing. There are a lot of youtube videos on it; I quite enjoy several of them.

Like I said, it was one of the numerous theories that I’ve heard regarding the .22 ammo shortage. But if these people are putting them aside when they off load the truck, that would explain why they aren’t appearing on the shelves.

Anyway I was thinking about “survival” food today, and since it’s the holiday season I got to thinking about fruitcake.
    It dawned on me that fruitcake is a great travel/survival food. I know it’s got a bad reputation here in the states. But a good fruitcake is actually pretty tasty (with or without alcohol).

Think about it, it’s made with candied or dried fruit, nuts and soaked in spirits (I think brandy is traditional) to preserve it. (If you don’t soak it in booze, it doesn’t last nearly as long)

So we have carbohydrates and other sugars from the fruit and grains, fat and protein from the nuts, and preservation without the need for refrigeration. Bake one in preparation for a trip then stash the loaf in your knapsack or whatnot and you will have food for several days worth of travel.
    It’s not a food for long term survival but it’ll keep a person going for a short duration. Not to mention I’m not worried about malnutrition for a comparatively short term survival situation. Doesn’t it take a while to show any ill effects of malnutrition? I didn’t see an answer to that on Wikipedia.

A lot of people seem to think that our ancestors were primitive and stupid. I often hear “how did people 200 years ago make such a precise thing”, “who how did people back then do that”.

The truth is that they were brilliant builders, craftsmen and engineers. Go look at old European cathedrals, castles and the like and it’s astonishing what people can accomplish without electricity. Heck I’ve seen Native American obsidian arrow heads (Stone Age tech) that’s as much a work of art as a functional tool.

Just because people don’t have power tools or a robotic factory kicking out mass produced things doesn’t mean they couldn’t build and craft and create. It also doesn’t mean they were stupid.

sorry i get a little irritated when i come across people without a clue.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2014-11-23 at 08:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

My wife and I are watching "Frontier House" on Youtube right now. It's a 6-episode PBS series from 2001. 3 families get put in Montana using nothing but 1883 technology, clothing, etc.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Barbarian in the Playground

So what shooting supplies are on everyone's holiday wish lists?
    Personally, I'm hoping for a box or two of .40.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusMFD View Post
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    One of the most interesting Derailments I've ever seen!
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

7. - Top - End - #337
    Barbarian in the Playground

Getting my reloaded bench up and running. I already have a Hornady kit; just need a bench, few odds and ends, and a tumbler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Cool idea. Cool name. I like this guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Obviously this is how a Beholder's anti-magic eye works. It's not just negating magic, it's gathering valuable Vitamin A(rcane).
    I am a CN Human Wizard (5th Level)
    STR 8; DEX 10; CON 10; INT 15; WIS 10; CHA 9

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

I would love a few hundred rounds of .22 ammo.

A guy can dream can't he.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2014-11-24 at 04:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Wow nice to see this is still going strong! Sorry I have been gone for a while guys I have had some life/medical issues pop up and got to head to the docs Monday. Anyways if anyone still is interested in this thread I had a few questions id like to ask about getting/customizing a glock with certain parts/machining.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

Ask away, bro.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

11. - Top - End - #341
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well once i get the money of course. The base model I'm wanting to get is a Glock 17. But here are there changes I would like done to it.

Firstly the slide to get a raptor cut from Glock Store along with their shades of titanium blue finish on the slide as well.
    Sight wise id like to go for a Meprolight Tru-Dot ML-20224 Adjustable Front/Rear sight. Just seems the easiest to use and a sturdy good sight. If not this type, just a meprolight non adjustable
    The Barrel I probably would go either the base barrel, a wolf barrel, or a Zev Tech (id prefer zev tech but they don't really sell those barrels alone) And have it with TiN coating, and threaded
    Grip id like to go for a Falcon grip (glock store videos on youtube you see that grip on the main owners gun)
    Trigger system id like to go for a Pyramid trigger system with TiN Gold and that blue titanium shades color. (you can see the shades of Titanium on one of GS videos)
    Another thing I would like to get a tungsten guide rod to replace the plastic one (to further reduce muzzle rise).
    Spring system of course id like to get an extra power spring.
    Now the mag well Glock Store has these custom aluminum mag well extensions that adds some weight and ease of mag insertion. Get it in that TiN coating.
    Precision Extended Slide lock lever by Glock Store
    Glock Extended Slide Stop Lever (yes again from glock store XP )
    Mag Release Teardrop style in TiN gold (yes another GS item), and have a custom design on the opposite side, possible a wolf paw pint in black.
    S&J Cutsoms 11 Port compensator
    I would also like to get a charging handle like you see in the videos for Glock Store that the main guy on them has on his own pistol (don't see them on the website but if you watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zGX...61tHRBZBdZlqvw , vid also shows that magwel I talked on wanting to get and get coated in TiN ) Id probably prefer the color on it to be that shades of titanium blue, with a customized design on it (maybe words, Aim, Breath, Release).
    Lastly go for a Viridian C5L Green laser/light combo for the rail system.

Only other thing id say is the small plastic frame pins be replaced with steel pins for extra durability.

But yeah, this is what I kinda came up with for a custom glock idea if I ever got the money for all that work >.> watcha think?
    Last edited by Crimson Wolf; 2014-12-03 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Forgot one thing

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Wolf View Post
    But yeah, this is what I kinda came up with for a custom glock idea if I ever got the money for all that work >.> watcha think?
    It's a Glock, which is about as close to an AK as you can get in a pistol. Ugly, reliable out of the box, and common. Other than the fun and cool factor, I don't see any benefit in any of those mods except perhaps the sights... so, what I actually think is "What's the point? Why not just buy more ammo and practice time, or a .22LR conversion kit, or a good class or two instead?"

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    It's a Glock, which is about as close to an AK as you can get in a pistol. Ugly, reliable out of the box, and common. Other than the fun and cool factor, I don't see any benefit in any of those mods except perhaps the sights... so, what I actually think is "What's the point? Why not just buy more ammo and practice time, or a .22LR conversion kit, or a good class or two instead?"
    My thoughts exactly
    You’re spending a lot of money on toys that probably aren’t needed. Night sights are a good idea; I can also see the magwell or a grip extension; especially if you have a larger hand and the grips are a little too small. That can be something of an issue for compact and sub-compact handguns. The G17 is a full sized handgun so you shouldn’t need them unless you just have gigantic hands.

Glocks are meant to be work horse guns. they're not meant to be pretty and tricked out with expensive modifications. (not saying people don't, people like to spend money on their hobbies).

14. - Top - End - #344
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well I do own a semi auto ak and have it modded for various reasons. Firstly the barrel with the TiN coating makes it more reliable and longer lifrespan. The slide cuts lessen barrel weight and slide weight helping reduce barrel kickback. The tungsten guide rod adds non moving weight under the barrel helping reduce muzzle rise. The compensator would help reduce muzzle rise further by adjusting the flow of escaping gas. The pyramid trigger system is a much easier, reliable and crisper trigger system that also lessens the pull (not a hair trigger but better than the normal 6-6.5 lb pull, going to a 3 lb pull or so). Thumbguard helps against that snakebite that sometimes happen if your thumb webbing is too high. The small charge plate (as seen in the video) just helps with a quick charge of the slide for multiple reasons, either one hand is injured and you need to charge with your belt, you need to charge with an off hand, or it just fits your style better.

The grip helps just keep you with a steadier and more slip resistant grip, better spring system to help your slide come back faster for quicker follow up shots, magwell add on to help you slide in mags easier, and add rear weight. Extended mag release for easier button push to release the mag. The other two extensions for the slide lock and release just helps for better ease of access and such for your slide. And of course the light for any situation in the dark, and green laser for added target acquisition.

Edit: Also anything I said for the TiN coating again helps add life to the parts in how much they can take a beating and resist elements. The color for the shades of titanium on the slide is well, just color, nothin fancy. Which out of everything I said is the only thing that is added on that doesn't have a purpose. Also, my arms aren't the strongest, nor my eyesight the best at night. I live in a humid area with crazy ass weather. And as someone who is not the "best" shot by far, anything to help reduce recoil, muzzle rise, and better easier grip and feel to the gun would help me immensely
    Last edited by Crimson Wolf; 2014-12-03 at 10:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok for all the weight you’re adding to the gun, you might as well buy a metal gun over a polymer gun. The entire point of a polymer handgun is to be lighter than a metal handgun. It makes it easier to carry that way.

As for the longevity of the gun; glocks are known for being able to handle A LOT of rounds through them before maintenance is needed so I don’t thing adding extra stuff to increase the longevity of the gun is necessary.

As for the compensator and whatnot, the only real way to improve your shooting skills is to hit the range and you know… shoot.
    You don’t think guys like Jerry Miculek got as good as they are by not shooting? Nope. They spend all day, every day shooting. All those toys a person can add to their gun to make it “better” doesn’t matter until you get to that great of a level where hundredths of a second determines the winner.
    Jerry himself said you get to the “next level” by being the first one on the range and the last one to leave. You can’t replace skill with technology although people try. There's a lot of instruction available at ranges, in books, online etc to help you improve your technique, but only you can put in the time and the bullets to become a better shooter.

Now if the caliber you’re shooting hurts you, consider backing down on your ammo, shoot “lighter” loads. Or switch to a lighter caliber.

Besides you could save all that money on enhancements and put it towards another handgun. (which in my opinion is always a good thing)

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well as I said before this was a "white if" gun if I had money to blow. Mainly a never leave my hip if shtf kinda gun. As for shooting, I do, iv improved my grouping so far with my ak a LOT more than what it used to be and I am more comfortable with it. Trust me I know adding **** doesn't make me a better shot XD I am jsut talking about adding stuff to help it survive more, take more a beating, and a "bit" easier for me to handle and shoot.

As for the backing down of caliber or whatnot, I'm comfortable with a 9. But in my eyes the less recoil and kickback, the better. Sure it might have more heft on some spots, but if that heft keeps me on sight easier than I wouldn't find that a bad thing at all ^^;; Again this is a major what if gun/ And yes I know I asked opinions and I DO appreciate the input

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

Ahh didn’t notice the “what if”.
    One thing to consider is cost vs advantage.

Does adding a tungsten guide rod for instance really affect the performance enough to warrant the cost?

I highly doubt it.

edit

If you’re looking for a shtf side arm, you might be better off with a revolver. They have less moving parts and are less prone to malfunction than automatics. They shoot just as well and just as fast as a semi-automatic. The only real thing you’re missing out on is capacity.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2014-12-03 at 11:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

By some stuff iv seen, it alters it just slightly with reducing rise. Ando nly about 30 or 40 bucks. Not too bad a deal for a what if gun x3

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ettin in the Playground

I just read your list of mods and before I get all judgemental, I'm going to ask:

What is this pistol intended to be used for? Are you in a competitive shooting league?

Slightly related, I have a 17 that I've been running as an experiment. I'm over 5000 rounds without having cleaned the weapon ONCE. Still as accurate and reliable as when I bought it. 1911's often need mods or tuning. Glocks are solid right out of the box and tend to stay that way. Also unless you weight 120lbs, recoil and rise on the 17 is negligible.
    Last edited by Crow; 2014-12-03 at 11:48 PM.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

*sighs* well if everyone wants to know why else im worried about rise. I have already suffered a break through half my right arm (my main arm) that also messed my wrist up some an sometimes still gives pains, and nerve damage from something a "bit" more personal. There is a definite reason I try to make each gun I have or plan to have with little to no recoil and ease of access. Unsteady hands and a weakened strong hand :/

And intent of said weapon if I got it with all the stuff. A basic concealed carry, everyday gun, with also shtf survival.
    Last edited by Crimson Wolf; 2014-12-04 at 12:01 AM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm sorry to hammer on you like I was doing.

You should have lead with “hurt hand/arm, need more compensation”; and I wouldn’t have come down like that.

I’ve just seen too many people throw a bunch of extra toys on their gun, shoot like crap and then blame it on their gun saying it’s faulty or something.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

*shrugs* it's fine, just don't like admitting my wrist ain't the best because the break (arm broke weird and when it did it damaged part of my wrist) so even being on the computer a few hours can lock my hand bad. And nah I know better than to blame my accuracy or lack their of of added or replaced parts.

But really That list was like, the exact parts. You can google and youtube each and every part to see, it really isn't "add ons" so to speak and more replacements. Good ones at that.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Good article. Not mentioned: In Germany and a few other areas, using a suppressor when hunting is considered polite, and part of being a good neighbor.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...-silencerco/1/

24. - Top - End - #354
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Wow to be honest is is nice and refreshing to see an report on suppressors not talked about as some supreme assassin tool for only killing easily. Always annoys the piss outta me that people make those arguments. Mainly yes they lower noise but not that that tiny "spew" sound in movies (which annoys me when I hear that in shows and such) . Especially in major crowded or bit neighborhoods with tight housing ir even in indoor defense use, they can really save your hearing and also not make ur neighbors freak out from a loud BOOM that a normal gun indoors can sometimes make.

Also, did anyone really look up and see those mods I mentioned earlier just to see what I meant before about it isn't pimping a gun and just making it better? xD
    Last edited by Crimson Wolf; 2014-12-09 at 03:38 AM.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Banned

Wow to be honest is is nice and refreshing to see an report on suppressors not talked about as some supreme assassin tool for only killing easily. Always annoys the piss outta me that people make those arguments. Mainly yes they lower noise but not that that tiny "spew" sound in movies (which annoys me when I hear that in shows and such) . Especially in major crowded or bit neighborhoods with tight housing ir even in indoor defense use, they can really save your hearing and also not make ur neighbors freak out from a loud BOOM that a normal gun indoors can sometimes make.

Also, did anyone really look up and see those mods I mentioned earlier just to see what I meant before about it isn't pumping a gun and just making it better? xD
    Silencers are like phone trackers and such. We accept them in movies as being designed to for any pistol somehow, making a tiny "spewt" sound, and being easy to find or make because that way when some hotshot decides to get one and go AWOL like a video game character, they aren't as safe as they thought. Media seems to intentionally misrepresent what tools are available to fight villainy.

I saw a standup comic today who was talking about guns actually. He says he has a .22, and everyone boo'd. He said "let me ask you something? Have you ever shot your .44 or whatever without your earplugs? Without your headset? You know, like you would in a real home invasion?" And ended with a story about a guy who let him fire four rounds from a .38 once. "It was great. There was this kick, right? And I could see the muzzle flash. But I didn't hear an explosion! It was just *miming finger on trigger* I pulled the trigger and clickBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Because your ears ring. And in the middle of the night, when you're blind (even worse due to muzzle flash!), you don't want to knock out hearing, too.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yeah one of the bigger reasons to also have a light on whatever weapon you have. Helps reduce that flash for the blinding point on yourself. But you have to do it right, don't keep it always on before turning the corner. If you can have it set on strobe or be able to have it switch back on with a pressure switch so they don't have time to either react or adjust their eyes

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

A good suppressor with subsonic ammo is actually pretty quiet.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

28. - Top - End - #358
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Oh no doubt about it can be quiet, but it sure as heck isn't that "spzzt" sound you hear in the movies lol. Oh and guess what I finally got another gun to my collection, was a sorta spur of the moment buy because how cheap it was for sale but it seemed a decent buy.

A Harrington & Richardson, INC Single shot 20 Gauge.

Edit: On the top of the barrel it says Topper 58 on it, maybe the type of Model I dunno. But damn is it a old timey beauty
    Last edited by Crimson Wolf; 2014-12-16 at 10:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

If you’re in California you have a very limited time to buy a semi-auto handgun before new legislation makes it extremely difficult to acquire one. Like before the first of the year limited time; don’t delay act now!

Oh no doubt about it can be quiet, but it sure as heck isn't that "spzzt" sound you hear in the movies lol.
    There’s a nice cracked video about Hollywood gun myths.

My personal favorite gun myth is the one where getting shot sends people flying backwards like 25 feet or so. I just like the idea of a gun that’s so big and powerful it can actually launch a human sized target without turning them into red chunky salsa, yet can be fired by hand.

Oh and guess what I finally got another gun to my collection, was a sorta spur of the moment buy because how cheap it was for sale but it seemed a decent buy.

A Harrington & Richardson, INC Single shot 20 Gauge.

Edit: On the top of the barrel it says Topper 58 on it, maybe the type of Model I dunno. But damn is it a old timey beauty
    Nice, you should Google it and tell us more about it.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Woah went on gun broker. Apparently I got it at a damn good price. I am seeing around 170 and up for price and I got it for 90 bucks.
    Last edited by Crimson Wolf; 2014-12-17 at 01:44 AM.