New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Simple Raw Thread for 3.5 #28

Q176a.

When taking a class or a feat from obtaining a level, can you meet a prerequisite with a spell? (ie. changing your race or size)

Q176b.

If so, dose the spell need to be permanent due to the time it takes to gain a level?

Q176c.

After the said spell wears off or is dispelled what would i lose from my feat or class, and how would i get it back.

Q176d.

how dose LA buyoff work?

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

A174A It automatically attempts to dispel any active effect, regardless of the caster's knowledge.

A174B Permanency alters another spell after it has been cast, changing its duration to "Duration: Permanent". As such, the check to dispel would be based upon the permanencied spell's Caster Level, not on the permanency spell's Caster Level.

A174C A CL 20 spell would be out of reach of a dispel magic spell (barring the effects of a modifier to the dispel check, such as a cord of dispelling), but it would be within reach of greater dispel magic.

A175 As a radius effect affects a circle, it would affect airborne enemies.

The damage is not typed. Stormwrack did not receive errata. Assuming the damage is bludgeoning makes thematic sense, especially since the spell is a Conjuration (Creation) spell, but Ask Your DM.

Weather could potentially alter the spell's lasting effects, but again this is a vague area not covered in rules. Ask Your DM.

The spell states we should check with the Avalanches section of the DMG to determine the effects of being buried, of which it says this:

Avalanches (Cr 7)
    The combination of high peaks and heavy snowfalls means that avalanches are a deadly peril in many mountainous areas. While avalanches of snow and ice are common, it’s also possible to have an avalanche of rock and soil.

An avalanche can be spotted from as far away as 1d10×500 feet downslope by a character who makes a DC 20 Spot check, treating the avalanche as a Colossal creature. If all characters fail their Spot checks to determine the encounter distance, the avalanche moves closer to them, and they automatically become aware of it when it closes to half the original distance. It’s possible to hear an avalanche coming even if you can’t see it. Under optimum conditions (no other loud noises occurring), a character who makes a DC 15 Listen check can hear the avalanche or landslide when it is 1d6×500 feet away. This check might have a DC of 20, 25, or higher in conditions where hearing is difficult (such as in the middle of a thunderstorm).

A landslide or avalanche consists of two distinct areas: the bury zone (in the direct path of the falling debris) and the slide zone (the area the debris spreads out to encompass). Characters in the bury zone always take damage from the avalanche; characters in the slide zone may be able to get out of the way. Characters in the bury zone take 8d6 points of damage, or half that amount if they make a DC 15 Reflex save. They are subsequently buried (see below). Characters in the slide zone take 3d6 points of damage, or no damage if they make a DC 15 Reflex save. Those who fail their saves are buried.

Buried characters take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage per minute. If a buried character falls unconscious, he or she must make a DC 15 Constitution check or take 1d6 points of lethal damage each minute thereafter until freed or dead.

The typical avalanche has a width of 1d6×100 feet, from one edge of the slide zone to the opposite edge. The bury zone in the center of the avalanche is half as wide as the avalanche’s full width.

To determine the precise location of characters in the path of an avalanche, roll 1d6×20; the result is the number of feet from the center of the path taken by the bury zone to the center of the party’s location. Avalanches of snow and ice advance at a speed of 500 feet per round, and rock avalanches travel at a speed of 250 feet per round.
    It states nothing about being provided cover, nor does it give instructions on how to free a character (or how one can free himself), and this was not addressed in the DMG's errata.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

A 176

A) Yes, if the spell is active when the level is gained (i.e immediately after sufficient XP is awarded).

B) No, however as soon as the spell wears of, the character can no longer use the feat until he is again subject to the spell fulfilling the prerequisite or otherwise fulfills the prerequisite.

C) You simply cannot use the feat until you again fulfill the prerequisite. You do not lose the feat itself.

D) It is described here. If that does not clear everything up, ask a more specific question.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 177 Is there any way to enchant a tree?

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 174b [correction]

Neither Girallon's Blessing (Spell Compendium, page 106) nor Fuse Arms (Spell Compendium, page 100) are allowed as targets for Permanency, so those attempted castings would fail. Permanency only works on certain spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Permanency
    Duration: Permanent; see text

This spell makes certain other spells permanent.

Depending on the spell, you must be of a minimum caster level and must expend a number of XP.

You can make the following spells permanent in regard to yourself. ...
    Spell Failure

If you ever try to cast a spell in conditions where the characteristics of the spell cannot be made to conform, the casting fails and the spell is wasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Permanency alters another spell after it has been cast, changing its duration to "Duration: Permanent". As such, the check to dispel would be based upon the permanencied spell's Caster Level, not on the permanency spell's Caster Level.
    Permanency alters the duration of another spell while Permanency lasts. This alteration is not an instantaneous effect. Consequently, dispelling either Permanency or the (otherwise expired) spell it alters would dispel the effect.

6. - Top - End - #426

PaladinGuy

Q178

Can both the variant races with LA rules on page 190 from PgtF and the LA buy off from savage species be used at the same time, since they both effect the LA in different ways that don't interfere with each other.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 178 Possibly.

Assuming you actually mean Unearthed Arcana (pages 18-19) and also here rather than Savage Species for LA buyoff, it is possible to use that rule with the Powerful Races at 1st Level rule from Player’s Guide to Faerûn. LA buyoff works on a fixed schedule starting no earlier than class level 3. So the character could offset racial LA with the Powerful Races at 1st Level rule, and also apply LA buyoff to LA from acquired templates if that template LA was acquired before the LA buyoff levels (before class level 3 for LA +1, before class level 6 for LA +2, before class level 9 for LA +3, and so on).

You'll also need DM approval to combine these variants, of course.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-09-09 at 06:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Q164 Can a runescarred berserker use metamagic? What about qualify for prestige classes that require the ability to cast spells? Prestige classes that require the ability to prepare spells?
    Looks like this got lost. Anyone? If no one knows, I'll make a thread.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Firbolg in the Playground

A164: No on all counts. Consider the following from the text:

Quote Originally Posted by Unapproachable East, pg 32
    Runescars are considered divine spells, although a berserker does not actively prepare or cast them...
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    In all ways, a metamagic spell operates at its original spell level, even though it is prepared and cast as a higher-level spell.
    Since you don't prepare or cast spells, you can't do any of the things you've asked about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Reposting for the new page

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    RE A157

A 157 Yes.

"Pinpointing" in D&D always means you have identified the square(s) in which a creature exists, but cannot see it; you therefore have a 50% miss chance due to total concealment. The sense (other than sight) used for pinpointing does not change the end result.
    That's what I was thinking, but couldn't find any rules quote on this. Could you get me one?

11. - Top - End - #431

A 157: Yes. Consider the following line from the SRD description of Invisibility:

If a character tries to attack an invisible creature whose location he has pinpointed, he attacks normally, but the invisible creature still benefits from full concealment (and thus a 50% miss chance). A particularly large and slow creature might get a smaller miss chance.
    The above quote simply deals with whether the creature being attacked is invisible with no regard to the method used to pinpoint said creature.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q179

Does the feat arcane strike (complete warrior) have any changes from its original publication, like an errata?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2014-09-09 at 09:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #433

A179: Please start a new thread. Since you're looking for opinions on a feat, that falls outside the scope of this thread. Here, we're more about questions that can be answered by consulting the Rules as Written.

EDIT: Question was changed, and answered below.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2014-09-10 at 05:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Orc in the Playground

Q (179?/180). Can you use Alter Self to physically disguse your type/subtype? For instance, say I am undead, can I use it to look like a normal human or would I look like an undead human?
    Last edited by StoneCipher; 2014-09-09 at 09:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #435

A 180: No. From the text of the spell:

You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2014-09-09 at 09:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

A179: No There was no change made to Arcane Strike in the Complete Warrior Errata.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Q 181

Where is the Beauty's Bounty Feat located (for citation)? The link it is connected to on various sites is broken.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q 182
    Psicrystal Affinity + Psychic Reformation
    If i change my Psicrystal Affinity feat, will my psicrystal disappear?
    Beware my incredibly noobish questions!

19. - Top - End - #439
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q183

Using Steadfast Boots, what happens if have not readied a charge reception, carry a two-handed weapon (say a greatsword) and are charged
    - by a first opponent ?
    - by a second opponent ?
    - by a third opponent ?
    Do you get an extra double damage attack for each if you can reach them ?

Spoiler: Steadfast boots
    Show
    Steadfast boots
    You gain a +4 bonus on checks made to avoid being bull rushed, overrun, or tripped.
    Furthermore, as long as you carry a two-handed weapon, you are treated as if you had readied that weapon against any creature that charges you (and thus it deals double damage if your attack is successful), even if the weapon can’t normally be set against a charge.
    Last edited by HurinTheCursed; 2014-09-11 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Last question number changed between redaction and sending of the message.
    Currently playing:
    - Dastrun "raging bulldozer" es Entragarth
    - Dolores the deceiver, beguiler of Queen Geleeda

20. - Top - End - #440

A181: On the WotC website. WotC has recently cleaned out some of their online material, so Googling for a cached version may be your best bet.

A182: Ask your DM. The rules do not cover what happens to one's psicrystal if they lose the Psicrystal Affinity feat.

A183: Yes, you are allowed to attack them for double damage. The text of the item reads:

Quote Originally Posted by MIC, pg 138-9
    ...as long as you carry a two-handed weapon, you are treated as if you had readied that weapon against any creature that charges you (and thus it deals double damage if your attack is successful), even if the weapon can't normally be set against a charge.
    Thus, if any creature charges you, whether they are the first, second, third, or later in the round, you are treated as if you had readied that weapon against them.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 184

We know that casting nonoffensive spells dont break invisibility. What about using offensive feats like Fiery Burst?

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 184

Yes, any attack, including area attacks, ends Invisibility.

23. - Top - End - #443

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 174b [correction]

Neither Girallon's Blessing (Spell Compendium, page 106) nor Fuse Arms (Spell Compendium, page 100) are allowed as targets for Permanency, so those attempted castings would fail. Permanency only works on certain spells.
    Permanency alters the duration of another spell while Permanency lasts. This alteration is not an instantaneous effect. Consequently, dispelling either Permanency or the (otherwise expired) spell it alters would dispel the effect.
    Both spells originated in Savage Species. While the spells' text was updated when the spells were included in the Spell Compendium, it is my understanding that since no errata was published to say otherwise, and since the Spell Compendium does not specifically say otherwise, the table on page 60 of Savage Species (listing the spells for which Permanency can by applied) would still be in effect, and therefore, both Fuse Arms and Garillon's Blessing would still be able to have Permanency cast unto them.
    [CLEVER SIGNATURE] Insert Here [/CLEVER SIGNATURE]

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

A 181

Here is the link for the current official archive: Life in a Noble House

The Beauty's Bounty feat can be found about half way down the article.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A 177 All enchantment spells are mind affecting spells. As such, they would only affect a tree with a mind.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2014-09-10 at 01:26 PM.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 177

While not all Enchantment spells are Mind-Affecting, the vast majority of them are.

A tree in D&D isn't a creature, so you could only enchant a tree with one of the few spells that isn't Mind-Affecting IF it has an object as a possible target. I don't think there is such a spell, however.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 184

Is having Wild Talent enough for me to use a Darklight (Secrets of Sarlona) or do I need to have a class that can manifest in order for me to imbue it with psionic energy?

Q 185

Once activated do I need to keep holding the Darklight or can I just hang it on my belt or place it somewhere?
    Now you're being rude, and I hate rude people.
    -Hannibal Lecter

Awesome Young Belkar Avatar by Vaynor

28. - Top - End - #448

PaladinGuy

Q186

do i need to have a psionic race to take a psionic class? and where is the rule for this located.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A186

No. It can be found in the SRD

Quote Originally Posted by Psion
    His race may also provide bonus power points per day, as may certain feats and items.
    If the race doesn't, then it's not a Psionic Race

30. - Top - End - #450

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    A186

No. It can be found in the SRD

If the race doesn't, then it's not a Psionic Race
    Thank you, so Psionic body for warforged is just for extra storage and not really needed. thats awesome.