New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2274243444546474849505152
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1545
  1. - Top - End - #1531
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Raw Thread for 3.5 #28

A 728 No.

Grafts are added to your original form. When you adopt a new form, you adopt that form exactly as listed. There is no option to have your grafts removed from the original form and attached to the new form; they're simply gone with all other parts of your original form while you're in the new form.

2. - Top - End - #1532
    Troll in the Playground

Q 728 Follow Up: Does that also mean that a graft applied to someone in a form other than their own goes away when they change back? Say I'm a Neraph Psion or something turning into a Sibriex (FC1) for their Instant Graft ability. Can I use the ability on myself in any meaningful way?

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

3. - Top - End - #1533
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q729:
    Are wands of level over 4 completely illegal under RAW? If so, is there any wriggle room to create spell-trigger items of level 5+?

4. - Top - End - #1534
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 729

Yes, there's a hard limit of 4th level spells for Craft Wand. Craft Staff creates spell trigger items without a level limit.

5. - Top - End - #1535

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 729

Yes, there's a hard limit of 4th level spells for Craft Wand. Craft Staff creates spell trigger items without a level limit.
    Clarification: So I could not give my Rogue (with maxed UMD) a Wand of Cone of Cold, but he could activate a Staff of Cone of Cold (which would use his attributes to set the DC, and his caster level if higher than the creator's, but otherwise work the same way as one might expect a hypothetical 5th level wand to work)?

6. - Top - End - #1536
    Ogre in the Playground

Q730 What does a warforged lose from going dragonborn?

7. - Top - End - #1537
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Super Evil User View Post
    Q 723

Per default Feywild lore/fluff (introduced in FR if I'm not mistaken), do the Fey regularly kidnap mortals and leave changelings in their places?
    A 723

The Feywild is a 4th edition concept, so you might have more luck asking over on that Q&A thread. 3.5 has the Plane of Faerie, mentioned briefly in the Manual of the Planes, which doesn't say anything in particular about extraplanar abductions or changelings.

8. - Top - End - #1538
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 729 clarification
    Quote Originally Posted by ILM View Post
    Clarification: So I could not give my Rogue (with maxed UMD) a Wand of Cone of Cold, but he could activate a Staff of Cone of Cold (which would use his attributes to set the DC, and his caster level if higher than the creator's, but otherwise work the same way as one might expect a hypothetical 5th level wand to work)?
    This isn't quite right. There's no such thing as a staff of Cone of Cold. There is a Staff of Frost, which has Cone of Cold as one of the spells available with this spell trigger item. A Rogue would use either their own ability score or the one they emulate with Use Magic Device; if they choose the latter option, they're stuck with the UMD result even if it's lower than their own ability (and even if it's below the minimum necessary for activation). However, the caster level is always that set by the staff creator (minimum 8th).

9. - Top - End - #1539
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 731

Gloom Razor feat:

Lingering Gloom: To use this option, your opponent must miss you due to concealment.
    Would this trigger if your character was invisible or had total concealment (it isn't clear from the SRD if "concealment" precondition is satisfied by total concealment as well)?

Moving Shadows: To use this option, you must deal damage to an enemy with a melee attack and move at least 10 feet during your turn.
    Does this have to be executed in this specific order to trigger - hit first, *then* move? I assume this also doesn't trigger from things like dimension door, jaunt, etc since it is "move" at least 10 ft?

Shadow Slip: To use this option, you must make a successful attack against an opponent you flank. On your next turn, you can make a DC 20 Tumble check if you are adjacent to your foe. If this check succeeds, as a free action you can move to any square adjacent to your opponent
    Can you use this to trigger Moving Shadows by moving to an opposite/diagonal square?

EDIT: reduced pasted text to avoid the wrath of copyright material
    Last edited by justiceforall; 2014-12-22 at 03:48 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1540
    Ettin in the Playground

A 731

Quote Originally Posted by justiceforall View Post
    Would this trigger if your character was invisible or had total concealment (it isn't clear from the SRD if "concealment" precondition is satisfied by total concealment as well)?
    No:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You can’t attack an opponent that has total concealment, though you can attack into a square that you think he occupies.
    The feat requires the opponent to attack you and miss, not the square he thinks you are in and miss.

Does this have to be executed in this specific order to trigger - hit first, *then* move? I assume this also doesn't trigger from things like dimension door, jaunt, etc since it is "move" at least 10 ft?
    "And" does not require a certain sequence. Teleportation would not work.

Can you use this to trigger Moving Shadows by moving to an opposite/diagonal square?
    A diagonal square would not trigger, because the first diagonal movement is only 5 ft. Going to the opposite square would be possible, if it is unoccupied in round 2 or the flanked creature requires more space than one square.

11. - Top - End - #1541

@Curmudgeon: Thanks fr your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    However, the caster level is always that set by the staff creator (minimum 8th).
    I don't want to drag this out but since it's the RAW thread, I have to argue that point:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Staff Descriptions

Staffs use the wielder’s ability score and relevant feats to set the DC for saves against their spells. Unlike with other sorts of magic items, the wielder can use his caster level when activating the power of a staff if it’s higher than the caster level of the staff.

12. - Top - End - #1542
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 732

Is Caster Level a Class Feature? Can it be emulated by UMD?

13. - Top - End - #1543
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A729
    Quote Originally Posted by ILM View Post
    I don't want to drag this out but since it's the RAW thread, I have to argue that point:
    • Your question posited a Rogue activating a spell trigger item.
    • Rogues have no caster level.
    • Caster level is not an emulatable function of the Use Magic Device skill (see below). For a character without their own caster level, the CL set by the staff creator is always used.

A 732
    caster level

A measure of the power with which a spellcaster casts a spell. Generally, a spell's caster level is the spellcaster's class level.
    Spells is a class feature of some classes, and caster level is a dependent statistic which measures a part of that class feature. Use Magic Device has no ability to generate a caster level.

14. - Top - End - #1544

Oh, we're in agreement then. I was just thinking that my Rogue might also be multiclassed into a spellcasting class; should've been clearer.

15. - Top - End - #1545
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: Closed for Length. I will restart it in a moment.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.