New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Unarmed Weapon Damage

Alright then, in a few weeks here one of my friends is planning on running a short game 2-4 sessions long and our party is restricted to the new hybrid classes recently released by Paizo. Now being that it's been a long time since I've played as a mundane character, I've been getting the urge to play a Big Dumb Fighter and have chosen to give the Brawler a go. Now while it isn't absolutely necessary, I wouldn't mind taking advantage of the unarmed damage progression, but still not miss out of magic enhancement bonuses. I went through several pages of the forum searching for an answer before making this thread, but couldn't come up with a solution, so here is my question. Aside from relying on an Amulet of Mighty Fists, Body Wrap of Mighty Strikes or the Ki Wrap that I can't seem to find, is there any way to use unarmed strike damage with enhancement bonuses?
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    Gaming Laws, Fallacies And More
    My Homebrew
    Feel free to browse and comment on any of my Homebrew. I enjoy feedback.
    Love my Avatar? Well, why not check out the comic that it came from?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Unarmed Weapon Damage

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    Alright then, in a few weeks here one of my friends is planning on running a short game 2-4 sessions long and our party is restricted to the new hybrid classes recently released by Paizo. Now being that it's been a long time since I've played as a mundane character, I've been getting the urge to play a Big Dumb Fighter and have chosen to give the Brawler a go. Now while it isn't absolutely necessary, I wouldn't mind taking advantage of the unarmed damage progression, but still not miss out of magic enhancement bonuses. I went through several pages of the forum searching for an answer before making this thread, but couldn't come up with a solution, so here is my question. Aside from relying on an Amulet of Mighty Fists, Body Wrap of Mighty Strikes or the Ki Wrap that I can't seem to find, is there any way to use unarmed strike damage with enhancement bonuses?
    No that's about it.
    There's also getting a "Permanent" Greater Magic whatever cast on them.

The next best thing is Brawler level 5, Close Weapon Mastery, which lets you use Unarmed damage (minus 1 step) with any "Close Weapon Group" Weapon.
    In other words, just use an actual weapon.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    The next best thing is Brawler level 5, Close Weapon Mastery, which lets you use Unarmed damage (minus 1 step) with any "Close Weapon Group" Weapon.
    In other words, just use an actual weapon.
    Huh, that's strange. The pdf that I have for all the classes doesn't include Close Weapon Mastery. Well, I'll just point that link out to the DM and hope it flies, since we're all using the same file. Thanks grarrrg.
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    Gaming Laws, Fallacies And More
    My Homebrew
    Feel free to browse and comment on any of my Homebrew. I enjoy feedback.
    Love my Avatar? Well, why not check out the comic that it came from?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh, that's strange. The pdf that I have for all the classes doesn't include Close Weapon Mastery. Well, I'll just point that link out to the DM and hope it flies, since we're all using the same file. Thanks grarrrg.
    Do you have the playtest document or the full book?

Edit: Better yet, just use the SRD.
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2014-08-25 at 10:22 AM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

You could use a set of brass knuckles. You can enchant them and they automatically use your unarmed strike damage.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The hybrid class "Brawler" from the Advanced Class guide has an ability it gains at 5th level called "Close Weapon Mastery" that allows you to use your unarmed strike damage (stepped down) for any other close weapon.

If you're set on Monk, Fighter, Barbarian, or something similar, I'd instead suggest sticking to a Permanencied Greater Magic Fang; for the price of two spells (which can be purchased via spellcasting services for quite the bargain), you can have a permanent +5 enhancement bonus to unarmed strikes; it can be dispelled (effective caster level is whatever you paid for, so I suggest buying at 20 for both spells), but other than that it shouldn't be a problem.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

As others have mentioned, you have a few other options, including enchanted brass knuckles, close weapon mastery from the brawler, and Greater Magic Fang. Note that even if you're getting your enhancement bonus elsewhere, the Amulet of Mighty Fists is still worth it - it can specifically be used to add weapon qualities, not just an enhancement bonus, and it doesn't make you add a +1 bonus first. An amulet of holy dispelling burst ghost touch mighty fists may not have any kind of ring to it, but it'll make you one happy brawler. Refer to it as your Amulet of Punching and call it a day.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Diachronos View Post
    You could use a set of brass knuckles. You can enchant them and they automatically use your unarmed strike damage.
    Brass Knuckles got the "can use Unarmed Damage" removed from them in later printings. So this no longer works.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    The hybrid class "Brawler" from the Advanced Class guide has an ability it gains at 5th level called "Close Weapon Mastery"

...Permanencied Greater Magic Fang
    Somehow you managed to get ninja'd by a good 12+ hours.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

ClericGirl

A Belt, Monks boosts your unarmed strike damage from 1d3 to 1d8, even if you aren't a Monk. If you are a Monk it boost your AC as well as your unarmed strike damage.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    A Belt, Monks boosts your unarmed strike damage from 1d3 to 1d8, even if you aren't a Monk. If you are a Monk it boost your AC as well as your unarmed strike damage.
    Pathfinder thread, it's a Robe now.
    And given how Brawler words its Unarmed stuff, this should still work for you.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

11. - Top - End - #11

Brass Knuckles got the "can use Unarmed Damage" removed from them in later printings. So this no longer works.
    So what you're saying is that, unless you have a generous DM who'll ignore the rules and let you use your class' unarmed damage instead of the crappy brass knuckle/gauntlet damage, the only way to boost your unarmed attack damage is with Magic Weapon/Magic Fang?

Is it REALLY such a huge problem to let monks have enchantments without sacrificing their unarmed strikes, Paizo? Is it?
    Last edited by Diachronos; 2014-08-28 at 07:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Diachronos View Post
    So what you're saying is that, unless you have a generous DM who'll ignore the rules and let you use your class' unarmed damage instead of the crappy brass knuckle/gauntlet damage, the only way to boost your unarmed attack damage is with Magic Weapon/Magic Fang?

Is it REALLY such a huge problem to let monks have enchantments without sacrificing their unarmed strikes, Paizo? Is it?
    Not that it really solves the problem, but they did drop the price of the Amulet of Mighty Fists. It was originally grossly-overpriced, now it's 'merely' kinda expensive.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Wow I didn't realize they removed the may use unarmed damage for brass knuckles. I would say ask the dm if brass knuckles can just still use it, and bring up how it isn't to make anything OP in any way, just puts you on the same terms as before pazio needlessly nerfed the item.

14. - Top - End - #14

Not that it really solves the problem, but they did drop the price of the Amulet of Mighty Fists. It was originally grossly-overpriced, now it's 'merely' kinda expensive.
    It still leaves the problem of the enhancement limit on Amulet of Mighty Fists. Weapons can have up to +10 in enchantments, with a maximum of +5 for the enhancement bonus to attack/damage rolls; Amulet of Mighty Fists only allows up to +5 total, and you have to decide whether to use that for enhancements to attack and damage or for special effects.

I can understand wanting to avoid giving monks and multi-attack creatures a larger total number of enhancement bonuses... but is it REALLY too much to ask to at least let Amulet of Mighty Fists go up to +10 worth of bonuses like a weapon?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The Brawling quality on Armour will help you a little.

Impact on an amulet of mighty fists may also help, particularly once you start getting into stupidly high base damage like 2d8.

Getting a few style feats can help. Tiger style basically lets you use shock trooper in pathfinder in the higher levels, but I prefer dragon style because it lets you effectively wield your unarmed strikes in two hands and has less filler feats. Boar style is also ok: some intimidate and a lot of bleed damage. The other styles have niches other that straight damage, and if the brawler isn't int-based Kirin style won't help.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

I know I am late to this thread, but my favorite unarmed punch you in the face is a sacred fist warpriest. They get full BAB flurry, and a few other nice things.

Also dont forget
    Spoiler: Pummeling Charge(Combat)
    Show

Your charge ends with a mighty haymaker.
    Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Pummeling
    Stylet; base attack bonus +12 , brawlert level 8th, or monk
    level 8th.
    Benefit: When using Pummeling Style, you can charge
    and make a Pummeling Style attack at the end of your
    charge as part of the charge action.
    Normal: Making a Pummeling Style attack is a fullround
    action.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Be sure to look at arch types for brawler as well, wild child looks fun

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Impact on an amulet of mighty fists may also help, particularly once you start getting into stupidly high base damage like 2d8.
    I don't think that works on unarmed strikes, or most close weapons for that matter, since it doesn't work with light weapons. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind that restriction, but oh well.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drelua View Post
    I don't think that works on unarmed strikes, or most close weapons for that matter, since it doesn't work with light weapons. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind that restriction, but oh well.
    Kind of a gray area, but it should work for Monk or Brawler Unarmed Strikes though, as they have "is treated as both a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effect"
    While an Unarmed attack is Light, a Natural Weapon is only "Light" when it comes to Weapon Finesse-type stuff.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kind of a gray area, but it should work for Monk or Brawler Unarmed Strikes though, as they have "is treated as both a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effect"
    While an Unarmed attack is Light, a Natural Weapon is only "Light" when it comes to Weapon Finesse-type stuff.
    Oh wow, I did not know that. I actually wanted to use Impact for a natural weapon Psywar, but someone else pointed out to me that that doesn't work because natural weapons are light. Does this mean Impact would work for that?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drelua View Post
    Oh wow, I did not know that. I actually wanted to use Impact for a natural weapon Psywar, but someone else pointed out to me that that doesn't work because natural weapons are light. Does this mean Impact would work for that?
    The only place I've seen (and I've looked) where it says Natural's count as Light is in the Weapon Finesse feat, in the "special" area "Special: Natural weapons are considered light weapons.". As this is the "Special" reference, that means it is an exception to the normal. Light/1-Handed/2-Handed classifications apply only to Manufactured weapons.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide