New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOTS #961 - The Discussion Thread

I'm... a little confused at the punchline. What does "Know? Thor won't!" actually mean?
    Proud White Cloak Acolyte of the Fan Club.

Neither murderous paladins nor psychotic liches shall ever extinguish the dream of Goblin Liberation. The Plan must continue.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

For those saying this was forced, dare I say it....

That's the joke!

Personally, I saw this comic as a throwback to a lot of the humor we saw in the first hundred strips. Maybe even the first three hundred.

Of course it was a forced joke. To me, it was blatant that it was supposed to be.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-08-29 at 09:36 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

Daemon

Is Andi the $5000 cameo?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I feel like Roy misinterpreting the chant isn't really his fault either way, because - well, come on, his interpretation sounds way more fluid than "Know? Thor won't!" You'd probably mishear it too.

But if not intentionally formulated by the HPOH, I feel like the chant was really stretched to make the punchline. Not the end of the world - I still liked the strip - but it killed the punchline for me. YMMV.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-08-29 at 09:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I agree with Porthos. This one made me laugh pretty hard from just how ridiculous it was.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edric O View Post
    I'm... a little confused at the punchline. What does "Know? Thor won't!" actually mean?
    Presumably, Thor isn't aware of whatever's supposed to drive him to his knees.

Other than that...I don't know. Maybe that means I'm Thor? Pretty sure I'm not....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

There. Now everybody on the forum should be satisfied. Roy actually considered Belkar's point of view, looked into it, and assured himself of the truth.

Problem solved.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    But if not intentionally formulated by the HPOH, I feel like the chant was really stretched to male the punchline. Not the end of the world - I still liked the strip - but so it goes.
    Now that I have seen the idea expressed I think it looks as though it is intentional. The strip definitely feels better if that's so. I feel a little silly I didn't see this possibility until several people pointed it out.

Peelee’s Lotsey

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Edric O View Post
    Presumably that Thor won't know whatever Hel is up to.

And as with all listen checks, success means you heard. Comprehension is something else entirely.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The real problem here is that Roy has a piss poor Listen check.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

LOL. Seriously though, Roy has a pretty good intelligence, and wisdom id say, he should be able to hear what hes saying through A WOODEN DOOR! its not exactly sound proof...

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

For those who want to say that Durkon is doing this messed up chant intentionally, look at how happy he is while he is chanting. If you want to interpet that look as a person happy that they are messing with someone, I could see worse interpetations.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drake2009 View Post
    LOL. Seriously though, Roy has a pretty good intelligence, and wisdom id say, he should be able to hear what hes saying through A WOODEN DOOR! its not exactly sound proof...
    His hearing appears to be fine. It's just that he comes to the wrong conclusion about what he hears.

Peelee’s Lotsey

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

Roy is checking to see whether or not Durkula is up to no good...

... and the forum still thinks he's being stupid.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm wondering why we're getting so many strips that, at least so far, look like they can be summed up as, "No, the Order is not going to abruptly realize the High Priest of Hel is not Durkon without more evidence than is currently available to them." If that truly is the message Rich is trying to convey, the forum split into "get it" and "will never accept it" after the very first such strip, and I don't see that there's been any change in the relative numbers since then.

Perhaps Rich is, with what I'd call excessive optimism, hoping that if he hammers it enough some number of people who haven't gotten it yet will get it. Or perhaps he's having fun teasing some of his readers.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Sure, I can understand the story needs Roy to not realize right away that Durkon isn't control of his body anymore.
    That's not what I meant. Or, it's part of it, I guess. But really, it doesn't make sense for Roy to be that suspicious of the vampire right now. The only things he has to go on are the halfling who cried wolf's testimony, and possibly a sense of unease about his friend's transformation.

It is entirely believable that the vampire could be Durkon, just a little more sadistic and/or pragmatic in battle and more taciturn in speech. The High Priest's facade is decent enough. It will require more time to develop cracks enough that Roy can see through it.

I suspect a lot of forum-folk are metagaming, so to speak, and wanting Roy to act on information we are privy to that he is not.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    His hearing appears to be fine. It's just that he comes to the wrong conclusion about what he hears.
    Hence, intelligence. I mean come on! hes a smart guy. I guess hes just in denial.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, that was just weird.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess Roy failed his listen check.

Nice comic by the way I liked the interaction between Roy and "Andi"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Perhaps Rich is, with what I'd call excessive optimism, hoping that if he hammers it enough some number of people who haven't gotten it yet will get it. Or perhaps he's having fun teasing some of his readers.
    I'd put my money on the latter. Although that's possibly just because I'm getting a kick out of the people who can't seem to accept the current story direction.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I'm wondering why we're getting so many strips that, at least so far, look like they can be summed up as, "No, the Order is not going to abruptly realize the High Priest of Hel is not Durkon without more evidence than is currently available to them." If that truly is the message Rich is trying to convey, the forum split into "get it" and "will never accept it" after the very first such strip, and I don't see that there's been any change in the relative numbers since then.

I still consider it a win, in that it showed that Roy wasn't too blindly trusting.
    I do, however, wonder what the poor strawman ever did to you. - Kish

22. - Top - End - #52

It should also be noted that the books tend to start a little slower in the pacing.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by commander panda View Post
    how do you get 'hell' from 'Hel' when YOU WERE HALF EXPECTING HIM TO SAY HEL?
    Does Roy know who Hel is and what she does? If so, when did he learn that?

Also, this shows that the crew isn't 100% comfortable with the idea of a vampire as a fellow passenger. I suspect they've dealt with bizarre guests in their history, but everyone's got their own limits on "weird," I suppose.

Call for a second opinion: the woman in today's scene is named Andromeda, but I thought the woman in this scene was named Sally. Are they related? They've got the same hair, complexion, and boots, but maybe not the same clothes. (I am 99% sure that "Sally" does not mean the stubbly crewmember with the green cloak and brown vest.)
    I have a DeviantArt page! My OotS posts are here, and the rest of my posts are here.

There are, like, tons of possibilities. We just have to pick one and make it happen. [...]
    Elan, I don't think a bunch of... of dreams and good feelings are going to help us defeat an ultra-powerful sorcerer lich.
    Sure they are! It's called "morale," Roy -- Or sometimes? "Hope."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherMirtillo View Post
    Does Roy know who Hel is and what she does? If so, when did he learn that?
    I don't think he does; we've certainly never seen Durkon mention her to him.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherMirtillo View Post
    Call for a second opinion: the woman in today's scene is named Andromeda, but I thought the woman in this scene was named Sally. Are they related? They've got the same hair, complexion, and boots, but maybe not the same clothes. (I am 99% sure that "Sally" does not mean the stubbly crewmember with the green cloak and brown vest.)
    Could be that they're related, or it could be due to the only so many ways to draw hairstyles thing.

Peelee’s Lotsey

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

The joke feels less forced, if you imagine it being chanted: in monotone, with a pause between each word. The weird wording is just an artifact of HPoH finding a phrasing that praises Hel while sounding like praising Thor

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Worst punchline in a thousand strips.
    Heh... they can't all be winners.
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?

27. - Top - End - #57

I'm still trying to figure out what the prayer was supposed to mean. Considering the actual prayer makes almost no sense even with all the grammar you wouldn't get when someone is speaking I'd probably agree with Roy if I heard someone chanting that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    I hear Rich Burlew grinds people's bones to make his bread.

Maybe someday I'll say something clever enough to be sigged, nah probably not

28. - Top - End - #58

RedKnightGirl

I like how Roy does seem to have internalize that Belkar - while amoral - isn't really the kind of guy to run around and spread baseless conspiracies that are totally detached from reality without actually believing in them. What do you mean it's not a baseless conspiracy?

Unfortunately, he still has the character flaw of "Thinks he's smarter than he is," particularly regarding Vampires and whether or not Belkar's evil conspiracy detecting nose is capable of detecting false positives....Or is it Negative because it's a corpse powered by negative energy...? Hmm.

So, yes. Of all the members of the Order who seem to naturally have the capacity to Detect Evil, it's the guy who was blocking it with lead sheets before it was cool to do so.

Also, Durkula is totally yanking Roy's chain.
    Last edited by Ghost Nappa; 2014-08-29 at 10:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

annoyed Re: OOTS #961 - The Discussion Thread

...once again, Durkula proves to be one clever SOB.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Halfling in the Playground

I like Andi, and I like the rapport she has with Roy. I hope she shows up in the future.

On another note, I am ashamed at myself for actually snickering at the punchline.