New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #961 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    If I was a low level npc in OOTS and a protagonist walked by, I'd definitely introduce myself. I'm instantly elevated to named character and my odds of survival significantly improved.
    I totally buy that!

We have seen how Roy puts the moves on women he is interested in. My comment was directed at what seemed to me to be an assumption a man and woman cannot have a non-sexually/non-romantically motivated connection or interaction. They totally had repartee and sizzly wits, but the folks chiming in that there's gotta be beef between Roy and Celia now seem to be forcing something that ain't there.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

This completely breaks my theory that Roy actually knew what was going on but was lying to Belkar to protect his knowledge from Detect Lies.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Scruffy_Kilz View Post
    Hey, Firefly had a man named Jane. Sally could be just like Jane.
    The spelling was different, though. It was "Jayne". Also, since she reported back to Bandana on the engine, I'm assuming she is Sally, since Bandana said she was asking Sally.

In other matters

1) Forced or not, accent doesn't come into play... cause obviously Durkula isn't speaking in accent, otherwise it would be Guh Hel! Knew? Thor Woont!... which would sound considerably different from Hell nay, Thor woont guh! Which is an issue in itself.
    I don't think we've ever seen Durkon accent any of those words, certainly not consistently, and chants tend not to have much accenting.

2) Too much evidence proves it isn't Durkon: The slipping accent which aids in the confusing of the words, but requires he has no accent which Durkon has a heavy one; The fact that Durkon who is a prude is using cussing... unless he isn't cussing in which case why is he using Hel's name? The fact Roy has heard Durkon pray for years now and a sudden change in the prayer would stick out like Titan in a Pixie Grove.
    Durkon's a prude? Are we reading the same comic?

3) Roy has claimed to be not another dumb fighter. If Belkar can figure it out, then not only should Roy figure it out, but should have a circumstantial bonus from Belkar's observations.
    Belkar's way of figuring it out had very little to do with intellect.

No matter how you slice it, this isn't just forced, this is a mile wide/deep/long square peg shoehorned and sledgehammered into a meter wide/deep round hole. It not only doesn't fit, but it doesn't even make sense that a fraction of it can fit.

Now, if Roy was crestfallen and said, "This fiend is the lesser of two evils, until we can find a way to true resurrect him, or defeat the real threats first, we'll just have to be on alert and make do for now.", that would make sense. Him rationalizing keeping Durkula around like he rationalizes keeping Belkar around is believable... his being dumber then Thog's broken fang does not.
    Needless to say, I disagree here.

Peelee’s Lotsey

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lexible View Post
    Added: My interest in the question is because D&D's history and the skein of fantasy from which it was derived are mired in colonizing notions of irredeemable evil. The forums (and elsewhere on Earth) have many voices presenting a counter narrative where the individual always has a choice in whether or not to be or commit Evil (Amphiox and Zimmerwald, I think I would not be remiss in labeling you as voicing such). I am not aware of whether Rob has definitively said there are categories, like species or races, that are simply, unambiguously, universally and irredeemably Evil (e.g. vampires are always Evil).

We sure know black dragons are not.
    The third word in my sig is a link to a quote wherein the Giant sees the possibility of Good vampires, and that they are free-willed.

Peelee’s Lotsey

5. - Top - End - #95
    Banned

Added: My interest in the question is because D&D's history and the skein of fantasy from which it was derived are mired in colonizing notions of irredeemable evil. The forums (and elsewhere on Earth) have many voices presenting a counter narrative where the individual always has a choice in whether or not to be or commit Evil (Amphiox and Zimmerwald, I think I would not be remiss in labeling you as voicing such). I am not aware of whether Rob has definitively said there are categories, like species or races, that are simply, unambiguously, universally and irredeemably Evil (e.g. vampires are always Evil).
    Who's Rob?

If you're referring to the Giant, he's stated that one of his projects is to criticize the labeling of certain peoples as Always or Usually Evil. There are probably other quotes that avoid the "applying sweeping alignment labels to non-biological creatures is okay" caveat, but I'm not going to bother looking for them because someone will probably have ninja'd me with one by the time I get this post into an acceptable form.

EDIT: it would seem the ninja in question is Jarxan Proditor! Congratulations on your mastery of speed and stealth.

An aside: I strongly suspect my theory of consciousness-formation is much less individualistic than Amphiox's, and that our alignment on this particular issue is incidental.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2014-08-29 at 11:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96

Also, I have to say I am DELIGHTED that Andi is holding a screwdriver whilst saying "reversed polarity".

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by commander panda View Post
    how do you get 'hell' from 'Hel' when YOU WERE HALF EXPECTING HIM TO SAY HEL?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    Roy should listen more carefully in order to hear that Durkon was saying "know" instead of "no".
    How best to put this.....

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...and how does anyone tell the difference between the spoken words "Hel" and "Hell", without Rich deciding to make a joke about it being a comic with an unreliable fourth wall?
    Thank you for being a voice of reason. It saved a lot more WTF-style ranting on my part.

Hey, Firefly had a man named Jane. Sally could be just like Jane.
    Jayne, technically.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    The third word in my sig is a link to a quote wherein the Giant sees the possibility of Good vampires, and that they are free-willed.
    Alas... all the folks with their character stats or magic the gather deck flavors or whatnot in their sigs have driven me to turn sigs off. So I missed it.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LuisDantas View Post
    This was a far more meaningful strip than it seems at first reading.

It establishes that Roy is (appropriately) uncertain of Durkon's loyalties and that he is bound to at some point realize that it is exceedingly odd that a supposedly non-theistic Cleric is supposedly praying to Thor.

Yeah... I guess it also establishes that Roy has no ranks on Knowledge: Religion. And that Celia will want to have a harsh talk with Roy in the future too.
    I could have swore Durkula has prayed to Thor before...
    "Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced."---Kierkegaard

Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka.”--- Sanya, Dresden Files

10. - Top - End - #100

Oh, a chant that phonetically is a prayer for Thor and a prayer for his enemy.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post

EDIT: it would seem the ninja in question is Jarxan Proditor! Congratulations on your mastery of speed and stealth.
    Quite speedy, since those quotes were in my sig months before your post.
    Alas... all the folks with their character stats or magic the gather deck flavors or whatnot in their sigs have driven me to turn sigs off. So I missed it.
    Sometimes I forget that can be done. Here is the link.

Peelee’s Lotsey

12. - Top - End - #102

ElfWarriorGuy

Rich, you worked a bit to hard for that last panel. It is almost painful to read.

That being said, if someone would actually ever say something as cumbersome as that, it is phonetically exactly the same as what Roy thought he heard, just with a weird beat between "won't" and "go", and "hell" and "no". In fact, the flow of the two phrases are completely different, even if the phonetics are completely the same.
    I'M NOT CRAZY!!

I just find sanity a rather dull affair

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Also, I have to say I am DELIGHTED that Andi is holding a screwdriver whilst saying "reversed polarity".
    Oh gods, I hoped I was just reading too much into that.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

14. - Top - End - #104

Sometimes I forget that can be done. Here is the link.
    My thanks to you and Zimmerwald for the link... it's an interesting thread. Buried in it now...

15. - Top - End - #105
    Bugbear in the Playground

The fact that Durkon who is a prude is using cussing... unless he isn't cussing in which case why is he using Hel's name?
    True. Durkon never cussed.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    This completely breaks my theory that Roy actually knew what was going on but was lying to Belkar to protect his knowledge from Detect Lies.
    You...really believed that?

I recall he mentioned or agreed that all the intelligent characters which The Giant writes are anthropomorphic in characterization and have human, not alien motivations. Even the devils and angels are all driven by similar desires and make decisions on the basis of motivations human would understand.

Undead would be no different. It follows from their human characterization the theoretical possibility that any intelligent "free-willed" (read as uncontrolled by magic) creature within Stickverse can choose good or evil. However, that doesn't mean that there is any reason to write such a character into the story.

Given that the Giant is not interested in criticizing the practice of painting devils or undead as always evil, there really isn't need to go out on a limb and write in a good one just to go against type.

I'm not sure why people mention it with Durkula, the vampire has shown he's quite evil and there isn't the slightest reason why the vampire should change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I recall he mentioned or agreed that all the intelligent characters which The Giant writes are anthropomorphic in characterization and have human, not alien motivations. Even the devils and angels are all driven by similar desires and make decisions on the basis of motivations human would understand.

Undead would be no different. It follows from their human characterization the theoretical possibility that any intelligent "free-willed" (read as uncontrolled by magic) creature within Stickverse can choose good or evil. However, that doesn't mean that there is any reason to write such a character into the story.

Given that the Giant is not interested in criticizing the practice of painting devils or undead as always evil, there really isn't need to go out on a limb and write in a good one just to go against type.

I'm not sure why people mention it with Durkula, the vampire has shown he's quite evil and there isn't the slightest reason why the vampire should change.
    My point in bringing it up is that the judgement "all vampires are Evil" cannot be made, and one cannot condemn a vampire just because that is their race. Whether or not a non-Evil vampire will show up in the story or if the High Priest of Hel would turn Good (both are probably not gonna happen) doesn't effect that point.

Peelee’s Lotsey

18. - Top - End - #108
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Sure there is. It's penned itself up with Durkon of all people, who is not only the Good-est or second Good-est person in the Order, but is also due for some character development. I, and apparently a number of other people in this thread, could imagine a story where Durkon at least tries to come to an accord with the vampire-spirit. This would necessarily involve the vampire-spirit giving up memory-sucking and cutting the tethers in which Durkon is bound; it would also involve Durkon learning to be a slightly more flexible thinker and to reevaluate his hatred of the undead.

It is also possible to imagine the story going a near-infinite number of other ways, of course.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

2) Too much evidence proves it isn't Durkon: The slipping accent which aids in the confusing of the words, but requires he has no accent which Durkon has a heavy one; The fact that Durkon who is a prude is using cussing... unless he isn't cussing in which case why is he using Hel's name? The fact Roy has heard Durkon pray for years now and a sudden change in the prayer would stick out like Titan in a Pixie Grove.
    Durkon would have a very good reason of changing his prayer. Assuming he was still in control, he'd probably be celebrating that he's still his own person, thank Thor. Hence, it would make sense for "Hell no! Thor won't go!" to be a legitimate prayer in that situation. Of course, we know this isn't true, but Roy doesn't.

3) Roy has claimed to be not another dumb fighter. If Belkar can figure it out, then not only should Roy figure it out, but should have a circumstantial bonus from Belkar's observations.
    Unlike Belkar, Roy has a very good reason to believe that Durkon is still in control: if he isn't, Roy lost his best friend and is letting an evil spirit parade around in his boddy. It's not an issue of smart and dumb, it's a case of the alternative being so terrible that Roy will not see it until he absolutely has to

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Yes it would. Unfortunately, it wasn't what Gnome Alone was talking about. Hence, the ruination.
    If it makes you feel better, I noticed the ambiguity caused by my use of the Elan smiley thing and decided to leave it in. Whether the choice of phrasing was felicitous coincidence or tomfoolery from my subconscious, I know not.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

21. - Top - End - #111
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome Alone View Post
    If it makes you feel better, I noticed the ambiguity caused by my use of the Elan smiley thing and decided to leave it in.
    It does, actually

On a completely different topic, the rafter in the penultimate panel seems to end...prematurely.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2014-08-30 at 12:20 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112

ElfWarriorGuy

Sigh. I know the pacing tends to slow down at the beginning of new books, and since the Order has been through a lot Rich wants to show how the emotional tone has shifted in subtle ways (Roy not needing to tell everyone what to do, V's changing perception of the concept of power, etc), plus V finally coming clean to Roy about everything, and establishing what's really going on with Durkon and how everyone in the Order views him now, as well as introducing the presumably noteworthy Airship crew members. So there's been a lot to address, plus the jokes.

But its been 22 pages since Haley parted ways with her dad and it feels like the pacing of the story within the strips has really been slowing down. I think Rich is being very deliberate to make sure he conveys the emotional tone just right, but I think the mark has been a bit overshot. I mean, Sandsedge wasn't quite the same situation, but still they were only there for 10 pages.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

A few things I saw in this thread, I think I can touch on and provide two cents for.

-So many strips to say Durkula isn't going to get found out immediately!
    Rich values book pacing more than comic pacing. There have been fifteen strips since the start of this book, and HPoH had third-string development at best going in. Undo the calamity that is your mammaries*, friend--it'll pace better in the book, and will be sorely needed in the future.

-Augh, this punchline is TERRIBLE!
    Maybe it wasn't the best in the whole wide world (in that the most immediate interpretation makes it seem REALLY forced), but there's an entirely reasonable interpretation that has HPoH mocking Roy and Durkon in one stroke. If you didn't enjoy it, congrats! One less joke for you in your lifetime, eh?

-Andromeda? Sally?
    I'm secretly hoping that what happened is that Bandana knew Roy wouldn't know the crew members' names and knew that Andi sounded like a guy's name, and came to the conclusion of "use a generic female name to get the point across" before "use her full name, which a Northerner might not know is female and therefore specifically this person".
    Spoiler
    Show
    please let this be so

In other news, I suspect this is Bandana's ex. Curvy, top fairly similar to the one Haley wears now, lives on the ship (so she could share a closet with B), and (here it gets super subjective) seems to have an immediate fraternal click with Roy (your agenda or lack thereof DOES color your perception of others' intentions, stereotypes be damned). I smell it in my gut, I do!

*love this phrase.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah... sorry Rich... this just straight up seems forced and breaks my suspension of disbelief :(
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    Continuation of ThePhantasm's awesometacular post

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    Yeah... sorry Rich... this just straight up seems forced and breaks my suspension of disbelief :(
    This. This just became official plot induced stupidity on Roy's part at a minimum, probably on Hayley's, and 50/50 on Elan's. (He might be Genera Savvy enough to be making a plan to deal with this, I don't know on that one, could go either way.)

Regardless, I HATE this sub plot/arc/what ever the hell it is, and the sooner it goes and dies in a ditch the happier I'll be.
    "I Burn!"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

Roy might have a decent intelligence but his wisdom is at rock bottom

27. - Top - End - #117
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Houtienchi View Post
    Not according to his bureaucratic deva it isn't.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Agreed -- it seems like a normal neutral-friendly conversation you have with someone who is slightly on your side through circumstance.

Construing it into anything remotely romantic is even more bizarre than Durk Malackssen's prayer. Unless we now consider acknowledging the existence of a person of the opposite sex is equivalent to slavering lust?

Odd stuff you encounter on forums.
    It initially came across as somewhat romantic to me, too - but I think that's just because, in most fiction, it seems as though most characters of the opposite sex who immediately click inevitably become love interests, so my brain automatically drew lines that it probably shouldn't have. Fortunately, I very much doubt Rich is going to go down that path here, which is refreshing.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

29. - Top - End - #119

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Houtienchi View Post
    Well... canonically he actually has decent WIS. There's not a lot of information out there about vampires, and Roy's using the ambiguity to delude himself and trust the dwarf-shaped parasite.

Still frustrating as hell to watch/read though.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

"taking orders from a kid"

What does this refer to? Basndana seems to be a grown up. Its hard to judge age from stick figure art, but Andi looks several years younger than Bandana.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold