New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Banned

Default Re: Path of War now out! What do you like?

I can't find it anywhere in the book where it says that using an associated weapon group increases your DC. Can someone help me?

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shinken View Post
    I can't find it anywhere in the book where it says that using an associated weapon group increases your DC. Can someone help me?
    A link for the rule in the PFSRD would be nice, too.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Bugbear in the Playground

Page 33 under the "Saving Throw" header. Top Right corner of the page, right above the bolded "Negates".

Maneuvers performed with a favored weapon for the martial abilities’ discipline gain a +2 competence bonus to the DC of the maneuver initiated (if applicable).

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

System and Use, under Saving Throws, page 33.

[Edit]: Alas, I have been stalkered. Or stalked?
    Last edited by Greenish; 2014-09-27 at 11:16 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Banned

Ah, I couldn't find it because it says "favored weapon" instead of "associated weapon group" or "discipline weapon". It's something to fix, isn't it?

EDIT: Here it is, Snow. Look for "favored weapon".

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    System and Use, under Saving Throws, page 33.

[Edit]: Alas, I have been stalkered. Or stalked?
    The official stance of the Warders Should Have Been Called Wardens club is 'stalkered' but I think 'stalked' works as well.
    Last edited by Shinken; 2014-09-27 at 11:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #486

Ah, I couldn't find it because it says "favored weapon" instead of "associated weapon group" or "discipline weapon". It's something to fix, isn't it?
    Yeah. I tried searching for discipline weapon and couldn't find it. So I ended up searching for DC and eventually dug it out.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

My players leveled up tonight, and two of them nabbed Martial Training, one going Black Seraph and one going Veiled Moon. Since the book wasn't released* when our game started, I allowed them to retrain into new content freely at levelup, so the Antipaladin traded out a feat he wasn't using for Martial Training I and picked up MT II as his levelup feat. And we promptly noticed a nice bit of synergy between Black Seraph's Glare and Channel Negative Energy.

Disciples of the Black Seraph know that half the battle is won through the mind, and by attacking his opponent's mind with fear, he can goad him to make mistakes and shatter his resolve and confidence. While in this stance, the disciple may make Intimidate checks to demoralize foes as a free action, but only against those that he has damaged that turn. He gains a +4 profane bonus (see Intimidate skill description for details) to these Intimidate checks.
    The Antipaladin can walk into a crowd, hit them with channeled energy, and demoralize them all for free, all with a solid +17 Intimidate thanks to a +5 ring looted a couple of sessions ago.

*They were allowed to use playtest content, but other than Deadly Agility, they decided to wait until release.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by master4sword View Post
    The Antipaladin can walk into a crowd, hit them with channeled energy, and demoralize them all for free, all with a solid +17 Intimidate thanks to a +5 ring looted a couple of sessions ago.
    Like I mentioned in the other thread, since Black Seraph's Glare is a free action, he can also basically take 20 in demoralize checks.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Like I mentioned in the other thread, since Black Seraph's Glare is a free action, he can also basically take 20 in demoralize checks.
    1. Import Imperious Command feat.
    2. ???
    3. Profit.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I noticed in the Dragon Fury PrC it says that they get new maneuvers learned every ODD level, but in the table it's every EVEN level. It also says he gains a new stance at 3rd level, but neglects to mention 8th level (which is shown on the table).
    Which is correct?
    Odd/Even levels?
    Stance at 8th, or not?

I want to assume that the table bit is correct, at least for the most part. I'm thinking that they forgot to add in the description for the 8th stance, and that the maneuvers should be ODD, not even (as they are on the table) but I don't know.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

It's probably every even, and at 3rd and 8th, as that's what all the other PrCs do.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

12. - Top - End - #492

13. - Top - End - #493

I just noticed that the Bloody Fangs martial tradition seems to be able to "turn off" a creatures regeneration permanently simply by being near it. I'm going to assume this effect is supposed to have a duration of some sort?
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't see a problem here. It's an exceptionally strong ability, but their oath isn't going to jive well with most parties.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
    I just noticed that the Bloody Fangs martial tradition seems to be able to "turn off" a creatures regeneration permanently simply by being near it. I'm going to assume this effect is supposed to have a duration of some sort?
    Presumably it should only work while you stay near them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    I don't see a problem here. It's an exceptionally strong ability, but their oath isn't going to jive well with most parties.
    Grod's Law.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think it's a bad mechanic, despite. :p

17. - Top - End - #497

I don't think it's a bad mechanic, despite. :p
    You don't think permanently removing an opponents regeneration is bad? The ability does not specify a range or a duration, or even a trigger. It just happens. If anyone with regeneration meets a Bloody Fang, they will lose regeneration for ever.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

18. - Top - End - #498
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

You don't think permanently removing an opponents regeneration is bad? The ability does not specify a range or a duration, or even a trigger. It just happens. If anyone with regeneration meets a Bloody Fang, they will lose regeneration for ever.
    I read it as your attacks always counting as as the thing that shuts off regeneration, the way fire or acid stops a troll from regenerating, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Fangs
    causes regeneration to cease functioning for those creatures if they have that ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Regeneration
    The creature's descriptive text describes the types of damage that cause the regeneration to cease functioning.
    Emphasis mine, but to me it reads as "the bloody fang's attacks always shut down the target's regeneration for a round".

19. - Top - End - #499

Quote Originally Posted by master4sword View Post
    I read it as your attacks always counting as as the thing that shuts off regeneration, the way fire or acid stops a troll from regenerating, etc. Emphasis mine, but to me it reads as "the bloody fang's attacks always shut down the target's regeneration for a round".
    I think your reading is correct, and "cease functioning" appears to be a rules-term rather than just flavourful text.

Still, the wording on the ability is very vague:
    [...] Fangs ignore damage reduction possessed
    by aberrations, constructs, humanoids, monstrous
    humanoids, oozes, and outsiders (except outsiders
    with the elemental subtype) and causes regeneration
    to cease functioning for those creatures if they have
    that ability.
    - G. K. Chesterton

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

A small editing mistake doesn't a bad mechanic make, or Tome of Battle wouldn't be near as popular as it is in 3.5 circles. Basically, it sounds to me like what m4s said; at most, it's "shuts down regeneration for all creatures in the encounter", which is no more egregious a mechanic than anything else in the ToB/PoW toolkits; it's just a single tool being removed from a box for the DM.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2014-10-03 at 07:02 PM.

21. - Top - End - #501

A small editing mistake doesn't a bad mechanic make, or Tome of Battle wouldn't be near as popular as it is in 3.5 circles. Basically, it sounds to me like what m4s said; at most, it's "shuts down regeneration for all creatures in the encounter", which is no more egregious a mechanic than anything else in the ToB/PoW toolkits; it's just a single tool being removed from a box for the DM.
    Never said it was a bad mechanic, I just thought the wording was a bit too vague, and opened up for abuse. But, as master4sword pointed out, "cease to function" is a technical term, not just colorful language. So it's all good.
    - G. K. Chesterton

22. - Top - End - #502
    Firbolg in the Playground

Definitely meant to say that their attacks are what cause the regen to stop, yes - similar to using fire on a troll. My bad on the wording >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

*snip*
    That part was in response to Snowbluff's comment on Grod's Law more than anything else.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Banned

Actually, that sounds like a very bad mechanic, when you put it like that. This is not adding cool stuf, it's removing cool stuff and reducing variety. For little to no cost, even.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't find effects like regeneration and incorporeality to be a compelling mechanic at all. They boil down to either "you're prepared for it" or "you're not prepared for it", unlike most other effects which also include "you can edge around it even if you're not prepared for it". All this does is turn "you're prepared for it" into a passive effect for regeneration.

Keep in mind that they still have to hit, which is a trivial task only if encounter and creature mechanics allow it to be.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2014-10-04 at 10:40 AM.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Banned

Keep in mind that they still have to hit, which is a trivial task only if encounter and creature mechanics allow it to be.
    If you can't hit it, you're not gonna kill it anyway, regeneration or no.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Spamalot in the Playground

Well, the designer clarified the intent, so I think we can put this one to bed, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

You're no fun, Psyren. :< Fine, fine.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ettin in the Playground

Just noticed that the srd and pdf seem to conflict on the steelfist commando warlord archetype.
    The srd lists them as gaining a bonus feat as well as improved unarmed strike at first level, but the pdf only lists them gaining improved unarmed strike.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

30. - Top - End - #510

Planetar

So, would you guys say that a class like the Magus could do well taking the Martial Training feats?