New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,497 of 1497
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: jhunter_d's Gelatinous Jamborie of a Random Banter: #209

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    My reputation won't spread because of something small like this. The reason I want to quit is because the scope is just too big. I can't actually handle this much work, this sheer tower of "at any moment you'll be called in to work someone's shift with next to no prep time and also you have to work from either 6 AM to 2 PM or 3 PM to Midnight and all by yourself, an entire section of school"

I thought I could handle that kinda thing, but I can't. It's the proverbial biting off more then I can chew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Is it possible to just... sort of hang in there till you feel you can handle it? Most jobs have this initial period where you have no idea what you're doing, until you get the hang of it and the workload is manageable.

Plus, you know, personal growth is always good.
    Other than quitting outright, you could (and should, if you really don't think you can handle it) go to your manager/supervisor and say to them "I'm new to this janitorial work and it is all still very daunting. Would it be possible to be assigned only smaller jobs for the time being, preferably with more experienced company, until I find my feet and know more about what I'm doing? I don't feel I'm ready for the level of unassisted janitorial work I have been assigned without training."

They will likely be able to accommodate you and, whether they can or can't, will almost certainly appreciate you for asking rather than just quitting.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Is it possible to just... sort of hang in there till you feel you can handle it? Most jobs have this initial period where you have no idea what you're doing, until you get the hang of it and the workload is manageable.

Plus, you know, personal growth is always good.
    That's the thing. I can do all the stuff I need to do, and quite well. But the problem is that the job is making me feel the same way working at Walmart did, and I hung in there until I got so frustrated that I stormed out like a child. This IS personal growth, because its me recognizing that no, this isn't something I can do for a living right now, I should leave before this happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Other than quitting outright, you could (and should, if you really don't think you can handle it) go to your manager/supervisor and say to them "I'm new to this janitorial work and it is all still very daunting. Would it be possible to be assigned only smaller jobs for the time being, preferably with more experienced company, until I find my feet and know more about what I'm doing? I don't feel I'm ready for the level of unassisted janitorial work I have been assigned without training."

They will likely be able to accommodate you and, whether they can or can't, will almost certainly appreciate you for asking rather than just quitting.
    I'll admit, the main problem is that I started my training at the biggest school we have so that might be part of it. But at the same time...I know where this kind of job is going to lead, because I had the same kind of reaction to working at Walmart as said above.

And I mean from a practical point, this job doesn't have any health plan stuff, so finding a job that has one might be better for me in the long run, as well as finding a job that doesn't absolutely destroy any semblance of sleep schedule, and finding a job that will be more consistent (since a casual janitor is an on call job).

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

I'll admit, the main problem is that I started my training at the biggest school we have so that might be part of it. But at the same time...I know where this kind of job is going to lead, because I had the same kind of reaction to working at Walmart as said above.

And I mean from a practical point, this job doesn't have any health plan stuff, so finding a job that has one might be better for me in the long run, as well as finding a job that doesn't absolutely destroy any semblance of sleep schedule, and finding a job that will be more consistent (since a casual janitor is an on call job).
    Point still stands, talk to them about it. They might be able to negotiate with you to put you in a position you can better handle. You might still be able to get that experience and a back door in for when/if you want it. At the very least, they'll know the reasons and you won't be just quitting on them.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #1474

Nevermind I'm not quiting

I ****ing hate life.

I mean I feel worthless. This feels like it's too much for me but everyone thinks I can do it but they're wrong but I basically have to do it, it's not my choice. AGAIN. IT'S NEVER MY ****ING CHOICE.

I just want something simple.

I'm sorry for bringing the thread down with my stupid ****. I guess the jobs just wearing me down is all. I'll just stick with it, make lots of money so I can help pay off things Mom needs help with and stuff.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2014-11-19 at 11:27 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1475

BlackDragon

Zodi, if there's one piece of advice I can definitely give from the depths of my experience, it's that there's no point staying at a job which is actively making you miserable. Just be absolutely, 100% certain that this job will be like that before walking away from it, is all we're asking--we're not trying to force you to stay somewhere you think you'll be unhappy.

6. - Top - End - #1476

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Zodi, if there's one piece of advice I can definitely give from the depths of my experience, it's that there's no point staying at a job which is actively making you miserable. Just be absolutely, 100% certain that this job will be like that before walking away from it, is all we're asking--we're not trying to force you to stay somewhere you think you'll be unhappy.
    Wasn't talking about you guys, but thanks regardless. I'm going to stick with it.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    With spoiling anything huge: it's a slow start, but it gets really good once you start to explore your first main mission area. I haven't even gotten what the ads say is your main stronghold yet! There's a bunch of really annoying bugs, but all of them are really small and I'm not sure how much of it is because of my Windows 7 install being wacked as... let's say a punching bag that's losing sand. They'll probably be gone by the time you get around to it. In particular, there's a bug where it becomes impossible to mouseover important dialogue choices for selection, meaning that a) you can't select 'em, and b) you can't see what the consequences for that decision would be, which is a feature I've been so glad to see in Bioware games you have NO IDEA

Also I am extremely disappointed that the companion i just got
    Spoiler: minor spoilers
    Show
    is apparently a lesbian and I can't romance her, because her recruitment is hilarious. Despite her best attempts to overdo it.
    Yeah with a lot of big games like this, the bugs aren't all gotten rid of in the beginning. It sucks but it's how it is. So, thy added a thing where you can see the consequences of some decisions, am I understanding that right? Because if so that sounds pretty cool but I don't understand how that would work.

As for that companion
    Spoiler
    Show
    I shall look forward to meeting this character. As for find ing out she was a lesbian, in DA:O I think the characters' sexual preferences weren't so hidden, and known early on right? Though I do admit with DA:2 I don't know all of that for these companions, except that a guy or girl can hook up with Anders. So maybe it's less straightforward than I thought from game 1.

Wasn't talking about you guys, but thanks regardless. I'm going to stick with it.
    Well...I hope things end up working out then Zodi. And I'm sorry that life sucks, really. *hug offer* For what it's worth, I really do get that feeling of not being able to make a choice. It's terrible, I get it.
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haluesen View Post
    Yeah with a lot of big games like this, the bugs aren't all gotten rid of in the beginning. It sucks but it's how it is. So, thy added a thing where you can see the consequences of some decisions, am I understanding that right? Because if so that sounds pretty cool but I don't understand how that would work.

As for that companion
    Spoiler
    Show
    I shall look forward to meeting this character. As for find ing out she was a lesbian, in DA:O I think the characters' sexual preferences weren't so hidden, and known early on right? Though I do admit with DA:2 I don't know all of that for these companions, except that a guy or girl can hook up with Anders. So maybe it's less straightforward than I thought from game 1.
    I know, i know.

Well, when you get to a major decision the dialogue wheel changes shape and when you mouseover that decision, it tells in you in brief what that decision will actually do. Your very first decision, for instance (as in, prologue)
    Spoiler
    Show
    has you deciding whether to go on a mountain pass or charge with your army. The former means your army will take heavier casualties, but the route is safer and you might be able to save the scout company on that path. The latter means you get there faster, but it's more dangerous and you'll definitely lose your mountain scouts.

@Companion: Actually i got that companion info from ads, not from her as of yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DA3 decided to be more realistic with its character's sexual preferences. Some are straight, some are bi, some are race-gated, some are gay, etc etc.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #1479

Hey if anyone is concerned about my wellbeing, I'm doing good now! Today was a good day and I'm feeling a lot better.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Banned

Hey if anyone is concerned about my wellbeing, I'm doing good now! Today was a good day and I'm feeling a lot better.
    Always good to know. *lots of hugs* :3

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm going on a trip for Thanksgiving in 4 days!
    I've also been going on trips for the past 4 nights with the fever dreams I've been having!

I actually haven't had any wacky dreams yet, but I have gotten sick. Just in time for my big family trip. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

@Zodi:
    Awesome! When I heard that you didn't like your job but wanted to stick to it, I felt pretty bad for you. I don't think that anybody should work at a job that they hate. It's great that it's growing on you, though! Some jobs are like that. Either way, good luck!

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a theory recently about Shakespeare:

Shakespearean English is more properly called Early Modern English. Emphasis on the "modern", because except for the informal pronouns and the fact that some words have changed meanings, it's mutually intelligible with Modern English. (Well... except for a little thing called the Great Vowel Shift, but that's beside the point) My theory, then, is that Shakespeare is not actually very difficult to read. Or at least no more or less difficult than other classic authors, like Austen or Tolkien. Instead, people only think Shakespeare is difficult to read because they expect him to be.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Troll in the Playground

Oh wow, we're at page 50 and no one hasn't whined about making a new thread yet. I'm proud of you lil' munchkins.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Ogre in the Playground

New book. Hurrah!
    I won't be too surprised if I manage to read all of it before the other new book shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Haluesen View Post
    I'll have to take your word for it, it sounds easier. But I've been wrong before. I'd like to learn but ehh needles...I do badly with them.
    Hmm, well it could be different for you. 'Twas simply my opinion.
    That said, you can sew a patchwork quilt together with a machine. Sewing machines make things awfully quick. I like the ones which do embroidery more or less by themselves as long as one puts a pattern file thing on a memory stick in it. (I don't own one, but I know someone who does. I now possess a towel with random-ish Japanese characters on it because of it.)

I recommend a thimble or ten. I really should own one myself, as even the eye end of needles (whatever that is called) are pointy.

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Unnecessary worry. They moved a crate of books that weighed somewhere around 20 pounds and then escaped through a locked cat door.

Edit: Ok. Two crates and two tables. That should work. Maybe. For ten-pound cats they are remarkably strong. And intelligent.

Edit2: Not crates. Banana boxes. My wrong.
    That is rather impressive, honestly.

Hurrah! Good to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Oh wow, we're at page 50 and no one hasn't whined about making a new thread yet. I'm proud of you lil' munchkins.
    Munchki... /hides
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-11-20 at 09:53 AM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

i got the new pokemon game!

it's nearly 2AM, and i don't plan to stop playing until tomorrow, at least
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somensjev View Post

Ahh! I still haven't yet.

Is it awesome or only almost awesome?

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Ahh! I still haven't yet.

Is it awesome or only almost awesome?
    it's awesome

it's got the best opening of any pokemon game. it's so meta

extended signature

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Ogre in the Playground

it's awesome

it's got the best opening of any pokemon game. it's so meta
    Hurrah! This is good news! I hope I can start playing it sometime before the solstice.

Hmmm, to YouTube or to wait...

EDIT - Adjusted wording
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-11-20 at 10:04 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh wow! It's page 50...Anyone have any takers? I'm only up to 20 threads since mine so I'm out.

I wish I had kept up with the Pokemon games after Yellow... Though I was unhappy about them adding SO MANY pokemon to the later games...though I suppose it was nesseccary. Do all the old pokemon all show up in later games? Or do some disappear, even though they're on the list? It just seems having 600 or so pokemon in one game seems a bit...too many?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

20. - Top - End - #1490

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Oh wow! It's page 50...Anyone have any takers? I'm only up to 20 threads since mine so I'm out.

I wish I had kept up with the Pokemon games after Yellow... Though I was unhappy about them adding SO MANY pokemon to the later games...though I suppose it was nesseccary. Do all the old pokemon all show up in later games? Or do some disappear, even though they're on the list? It just seems having 600 or so pokemon in one game seems a bit...too many?
    Not all pokemon are available in every game, but no. No pokemon ever disappears.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Titan in the Playground

Those that aren't available can still be traded or transferred in - you can't get (initially acquire) them all in one game, but you can get (put) them all into one game, if that makes any sense.

Except that the first two generations aren't compatible due to hardware and software changes. They probably could have made a workaround (the framework for one has come to mind, though not the code), but I can't really blame them for not thinking of it, since previous cross-gen interaction was all symmetrical (and I don't think that would have been possible - transferring up, yes, trading between the two, less likely).
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Troll in the Playground

Disco, marry me.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed! You haven't been around nearly enough!
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Bugbear in the Playground

Damn, that's lucky. There's a store near me that's broken street dates in the past (Smash for 3DS being an example) so I bet that they'll do so for ORAS. I'm going to check to see if they have it as soon as I get home.

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    Damn, that's lucky. There's a store near me that's broken street dates in the past (Smash for 3DS being an example) so I bet that they'll do so for ORAS. I'm going to check to see if they have it as soon as I get home.
    i've been playing since midnight, when i got the game. that was 5 hours ago.

but yeah, i got the game on the actual release date, a full minute after the day started

extended signature

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Troll in the Playground

Qwerty can make the thread...
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Qwerty can make the thread...
    So I can. Um. Thread in progress.

EDIT: NEW THREAD
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2014-11-20 at 02:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew