Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: jhunter_d's Gelatinous Jamborie of a Random Banter: #209

...all women are named Sheila...

...everyone has a pet kangaroo...

...hotels have their own fisherman (?)

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Pshaw. A little ham-fisted, sure, but it was visually stunning.

For bad television? Why?
    Yeah...I disagree. The visuals honestly didn't impress me, at all, and I felt there were flaws with it. During the scene where they're walking on a plant that glows where they touch it, it didn't always glow where they touched it. It felt off. And plot wise it was just horrendous. It was less ham fisted and more ham headed. I do sort of like how the bad guys won though, and I suppose the way the ending played out is good based on certain (read: my) interpretations on how it happened.

Haven't seen Season 3 yet. People I trust the opinion of said it's comparable to Avatar season 1!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

I heard that in 'Strailya, their grills are dolls.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Haven't seen Season 3 yet. People I trust the opinion of said it's comparable to Avatar season 1!
    I'd say it's better than that! Maybe A:TLA Book 3 level! (IMHO, though, A:TLA Book 2 was the best of them all.)
    Last edited by Solse; 2014-09-11 at 05:47 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

*thinks*

I don't think I used any kind of search engines until like 2002, and by then Google was pretty much established as The Thing. Before that I just went to websites that were given on some magazines or played educational games. Boy, compared to the present day, educational online games back in pre-2000s sucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

5. - Top - End - #35

Educational games most always suck.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

I have to disagree. I've spent a lot of time playing many maths educational games for the past 3 weeks and witnessed kids actually do enjoy them. Or then they just enjoy how they get to use a computer.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

7. - Top - End - #37

I've never encountered any fun ones in my experience, though. My school once made everybody play educational games for a required amount of time per day, but what they didn't know was that the games had a setting to disable the educational part, leaving a relatively fun Mario clone. (The games were mainly platformers, where when you beat a level, you have to complete a certain number of arithmetic problems. It was a boring as hell way to fake putting an effort into making the games "educational".)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

From last thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomvid View Post
    If it's a porcelain cup then there's no enamel on it, enamel is glass melted onto metal, it would be the ceramic glaceing that's getting chipped

Edit: bonded onto metal would be a better description
    Uhh, right, I seem to have accidently mixed them up. Glace is the correct term. I blame being tired.

ION:
    Speaking of tired, I think I just blew my Go To Bed check...
    Last edited by Teddy; 2014-09-11 at 07:26 PM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    I've never encountered any fun ones in my experience, though. My school once made everybody play educational games for a required amount of time per day, but what they didn't know was that the games had a setting to disable the educational part, leaving a relatively fun Mario clone. (The games were mainly platformers, where when you beat a level, you have to complete a certain number of arithmetic problems. It was a boring as hell way to fake putting an effort into making the games "educational".)
    That's exactly the type of games I remember playing when I was in school, and yeah, they were hella tedious and boring. No matter what the subject, they all followed the same pattern. The new games have much more variety though and have much more meaning than before. I'm kinda already waiting for the next step.
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2014-09-11 at 08:03 PM.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    That's exactly the type of games I remember playing when I was in school, and yeah, they were hella tedious and boring. No matter what the subject, they all followed the same pattern. The new games have much more variety though and have much more meaning than before. I'm kinda already waiting for the next step.
    Oh, speaking of edutainment games, Lucahjin (the girl who did the barbie videos) did a video on Freddie Fish. You watch now!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

So, remember that Dragon Age round-robin thing LaZodiac and I found a third for a while back? Yeah, said third had to drop out for reasons of not having a CD key.

Any other takers?

Spoiler: The thing
    Show
    So, the basic idea was that each of the three of us would play the three dragon age games in order, and swap our saves each time. So, for instance, I would play DA:O, then LaZodiac would import that save and play DA:2 with it. Then the third would play Inquisition with that save. We'd each play origins and rotate the games like that so that we'd get three DA 'universes' with their own heroes and outcomes.

It seemed like a fun idea at the time, and has actually motivated me to re-finish my origins playthrough.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

You younglings sure are lucky to have got to play games at school as a kind of learning thing, well we played games at school too but not as part of the curriculum.
    Errare humanum est
    Live long and Prosper
    May the force be with you

13. - Top - End - #43

You younglings sure are lucky to have got to play games at school as a kind of learning thing, well we played games at school too but not as part of the curriculum.
    Trust me, these games were nothing to get excited about. We still had to smuggle in games like you did. One year, I introduced the whole school to Cave Story by downloading it onto the schoolwide hard drive. Everybody loved it, for good reason.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trust me, these games were nothing to get excited about. We still had to smuggle in games like you did. One year, I introduced the whole school to Cave Story by downloading it onto the schoolwide hard drive. Everybody loved it, for good reason.
    Games as a learning tool did not exist when I went to school, it wasn't until 7th grade the school we then moved to had any computers (well so called any way they weren't even 286's, something called Compis) we were taught typing in 8th grade on actual typewriters although they were electronic, but I learned more at home on the Commodore 128 and later Atari 1040STE.
    Errare humanum est
    Live long and Prosper

15. - Top - End - #45

You have done a good deed.

OH YEAH! HUZZAH!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Family heirloom cactus (not actuallya cactus) is dead. If you remember, it was declared dead this Christmas after the heating system had died at our family farm and indoor temperatures dropped below zero, but then we found two leaves which had miraculously survived the cold. We took it home to better care for it over summer, but to no avail. Either it couldn't stand the heat or the rains, or perhaps the root system was so damaged that it continued to deteriorate until it no longer could support the plant. With only half a centimetre left of green leaf left, I tried to replant it and supply it with lots of (cold) light, water (to compensate for its lack of roots) and carbon dioxide, but I was aware it was probably all a futile effort as I'm not schooled in emergency gardening. It kept deteriorating, slowly losing its little remaining colour, so today I decided to attempt a final drastic meassure and cut off the lower half to put it on a paper soaked with water and nutrients, thus bypassing the need for roots entirely. It was too late, though, because when I put the knife to it, it tore apart and revealed to already have rottened through, so now its officially dead, not just inevitably dying.

To be honest, I am a little sad about this. I have a tendency to grow attached to objects with history, and this plant was around a hundred years old by our estimates...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Family heirloom cactus (not actuallya cactus) is dead. If you remember, it was declared dead this Christmas after the heating system had died at our family farm and indoor temperatures dropped below zero, but then we found two leaves which had miraculously survived the cold. We took it home to better care for it over summer, but to no avail. Either it couldn't stand the heat or the rains, or perhaps the root system was so damaged that it continued to deteriorate until it no longer could support the plant. With only half a centimetre left of green leaf left, I tried to replant it and supply it with lots of (cold) light, water (to compensate for its lack of roots) and carbon dioxide, but I was aware it was probably all a futile effort as I'm not schooled in emergency gardening. It kept deteriorating, slowly losing its little remaining colour, so today I decided to attempt a final drastic meassure and cut off the lower half to put it on a paper soaked with water and nutrients, thus bypassing the need for roots entirely. It was too late, though, because when I put the knife to it, it tore apart and revealed to already have rottened through, so now its officially dead, not just inevitably dying.

To be honest, I am a little sad about this. I have a tendency to grow attached to objects with history, and this plant was around a hundred years old by our estimates...
    You can't take a "stickling"?

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

18. - Top - End - #48

Games as a learning tool did not exist when I went to school, it wasn't until 7th grade the school we then moved to had any computers (well so called any way they weren't even 286's, something called Compis) we were taught typing in 8th grade on actual typewriters although they were electronic, but I learned more at home on the Commodore 128 and later Atari 1040STE.
    So you're old school! That's cool! From what I hear, though, Compis weren't regarded that highly, even back when they were released. Either way, it's cool that you got to use computers when they were just beginning.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rotted all the way to the bark?
    as trees only use the very outer most part of the trunk to carry water and nutrients so even if it is rotten at the core still does not mean it's dead dead just mostly dead, meaning it's got a very miniscule micro chance of actually surviving.
    or you can amputate a branch and either transplant it to another tree (good chance of survival or stick it in the ground (not so good chance of survival)
    Errare humanum est
    Live long and Prosper

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

So you're old school! That's cool! From what I hear, though, Compis weren't regarded that highly, even back when they were released. Either way, it's cool that you got to use computers when they were just beginning.
    In the 1940's? :)

We had a Vic-20 and then a Vic-64. I have no idea what they had at school, but I remember playing SimEarth and SimCity.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2014-09-12 at 08:45 AM.

― Tim Fargo

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah they were quite crap even then, I remember much more fondly playing Civ on the 386 computers at High School although it was a pain to Switch between the four floppy's all the time.
    Yes I'm older then I care to admit but as I don't feel like 38 soon to be 39 but rather 20 something I don't honestly care either so nurrr!!!
    Errare humanum est
    Live long and Prosper

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Well, my theory that Google has been using mind control rays to take over the population seems mostly confirmed.

Really though, it's amazing how effective search is at just spreading. It really IDs google as an invention that was just a good idea for the world because it took very little prodding for everyone to start using it and then it stuck and we all use it now.

It's like if I asked about the first time you ever used a toothpick or a paper clip. These are great things that once they're around, you don't even acknowledge that they're in any way notable.

If you managed to play around with the program enough to alter the settings in order to avoid having to do the problem, it was an effective teaching tool.

You're a hero.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's see...computer games at school. I think we had something called Number Munchers and of course there was The Oregon Trail. It's amazing how many people you could kill off in that game...
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can't argue with that, I used to rely on Lycos or what it was called for all my info in the bad old days of dial up didn't like Google when they first appeared and now I can't see why I'd even want to contemplate another search engine.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    Let's see...computer games at school. I think we had something called Number Munchers and of course there was The Oregon Trail. It's amazing how many people you could kill off in that game...
    The Oregon Trail man I really need to try to find some time to dust off some of my emulators one of these days and play some classic gems again
    Last edited by Gnomvid; 2014-09-12 at 09:25 AM.
    Errare humanum est
    Live long and Prosper

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

The Oregon Trail man I really need to try to find some time to dust off some of my emulators one of these days and play some classic gems again
    The only version I've played is the DSi version.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

You know you're a programmer when... You keep accidentally ending sentences in your notes with semicolons.

Seriously, though. Not cool, brain. I have to read these later.

Related: The project that I'm working on for my data structures class is involves essentially building the boring parts of MatLab (e.g. basic matrix operations), except without basically any of the "user-friendly" features. At least I'll be (presumably) able to hold onto this for later if I ever need this sort of matrix functionality in C++ later.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    I remember both of those! I think I actually beat Oregon Trail once... that game was easy to die in (although it's also possible that I just sucked).

ION: Two major projects and a test due next friday (on top of the rest of my homework). Yay. I'll be losing money for this as well, because I would otherwise be working Friday evening, and I don't realistically have sufficient free time with which to schedule another shift.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-09-12 at 11:50 AM.
    A few odds and ends.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, my name is officially in the ring for Student Senate. 14 out of 15 seats are open, so I guess the odds are better than normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

28. - Top - End - #58

Good luck AT.

Oh man just got my early Smash 4 demo code because I'm a good Nintendo fan. I've also got three other codes to share however I please

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Good luck AT.

Oh man just got my early Smash 4 demo code because I'm a good Nintendo fan. I've also got three other codes to share however I please
    May I have one?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Good luck AT.

Ooooh! For 3DS or WiiU? Cause if the former... (And thanks!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.