New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread 5!

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    If shot down do vrocks fall, everyone dies?
    You're going to the special layer of the Abyss for that one.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Werephilosopher View Post
    While on the subject of Mechanus gears, I recall reading somewhere that they were often made of precious metals - platinum, adamantine, etc. I also recall reading that spellcasters could bind chaotic creatures like slaadi into gears, making them lose their inherent lawfulness and cause them to fall into the Outlands where they could be stripped for materials. I can't remember where I read this, though. Does it sound plausible, or is it bunk?
    I certainly don't remember anything of the kind. Seems far too easy a way to wreck cogs, though.

Why is that?
    It's likely that in her mortal existence she was an aboleth.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2015-02-12 at 03:56 PM.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Ogre in the Playground

Suppose a a town got shifted over to another layer, say Celestia.

Would that have any genetic effects on its inhabitants? Like gaining a small amount of celestial blood or something over the generations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    It's likely that in her mortal existence she was an aboleth.
    I really like this idea. Vestiges always seem bizarre when you summon them (Aym has three heads, Andras has an owl-head), and I wasn't sure what to do with a sexy demon chick. Adding slimy aboleth elements should do the trick for her manifestation.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Would the ship constantly perform a group cackling chant?
    If damaged would it bleed vrock feathers?
    If shot down do vrocks fall, everyone dies?
    It's a reference to an old Planescape adventure, Into the Abyss. Where some Tanar'ri or other was trying just that. Building gigantic, super-powerful weapons of war animated by bound Vrocks. Spheres of Annihilation were also involved.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

If a traveler (planar or spelljamming) without a patron God dies on Faerun does she find herself lined up for the Wall of the Faithless; or does their 'home plane' or some 'universal system' take precedence?

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    It's a reference to an old Planescape adventure, Into the Abyss. Where some Tanar'ri or other was trying just that. Building gigantic, super-powerful weapons of war animated by bound Vrocks. Spheres of Annihilation were also involved.
    Huh, don't know that one and will have to look into it. Sounds cool, reminds me some kinda Demonwing meets the SpellJammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Suppose a a town got shifted over to another layer, say Celestia.

Would that have any genetic effects on its inhabitants? Like gaining a small amount of celestial blood or something over the generations?
    Nope. Now mind you, there are other ways that would happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    If a traveler (planar or spelljamming) without a patron God dies on Faerun does she find herself lined up for the Wall of the Faithless; or does their 'home plane' or some 'universal system' take precedence?
    Your native death procedures run the show for you. If they're not interested in you, of course...
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

9. - Top - End - #1149

Why do you think there's Elemental Good and Evil, but not Elemental Law and Chaos? (At least, not with capital letters?)

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Titan in the Playground

Why do you think there's Elemental Good and Evil, but not Elemental Law and Chaos? (At least, not with capital letters?)
    There are.

Unsurprisingly, they have their roots in Mystara and the old order, but there are actually distinctive elementals for both law and chaos. As to why there are no princes of those alignments: they used to be. In the War of Law and Chaos, the Princes of the Elements took sides and more than once saw Evil allied with Good in service to a greater cause. What broke up the party was Good and Evil realizing they didn't really like to hang out, and also likely the simple issue that the Inner Planes by and large fought on the side of Law.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Unsurprisingly, they have their roots in Mystara and the old order, but there are actually distinctive elementals for both law and chaos.
    OK - I thought I knew pretty much all the Mystara lore, or knew of it and where to check for the stuff I don't recall, but this one has me totally flummoxed (which is another sign of the greatness of this thread).

Please tell us more of these Law and Chaos elementals, and where in Mystara they hail from...
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2015-02-14 at 03:16 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yugoloths don't get much treatment compared to their Devil and Demon brethren. Are there any unique Yugoloths? If so, who are they and where can I find out more? How far can you trust a Yugoloth, if you made a deal with one, how long would it try to uphold it? How amicable are 'loths to visitors to their planes? How do 'loths who aren't mercenaries feel about the bloodwar traipsing through their home? Besides the General of Gehenna, what other positions of power can 'loths hold? Do 'loths make missions to the prime material like devils and demons do? During the war of Law and Chaos did 'loths and angels get along or fight together?
    Teal'c the Illithid avatar by me

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ogre in the Playground

What? Elementals of Good and Evil?

... Do you just mean like Imix etc?

14. - Top - End - #1154

Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Worm View Post
    Yugoloths don't get much treatment compared to their Devil and Demon brethren. Are there any unique Yugoloths? If so, who are they and where can I find out more? How far can you trust a Yugoloth, if you made a deal with one, how long would it try to uphold it? How amicable are 'loths to visitors to their planes? How do 'loths who aren't mercenaries feel about the bloodwar traipsing through their home? Besides the General of Gehenna, what other positions of power can 'loths hold? Do 'loths make missions to the prime material like devils and demons do? During the war of Law and Chaos did 'loths and angels get along or fight together?
    Let's see. In Planescape, they had plenty of material, at least as much as the other fiends.

Uniques:
    There's the Oinoloth, Mydianchlarus, who rules the Wasting Tower of Khin-Oin and rules Hades. He overthrew the previous Oinoloth, Anthraxus, by whispering something so terrible in his ear that Anthraxus immediatley gave up the job.

There's Daru Ib Shamiq, one of the Baernoloths, the precursors of evil. He gave the power of Greater Teleportation to all fiends.

There's Helekanalaith, the ruler of the Tower Arcane, but he's probably just a normal Arcanaloth.

There's Apomps, who's hated by the others, because he created the Gereleth race.

Inthracis, the Necromancer, rules a city on Faerun.

There's Charon, who rules the boatmen of the Styx.

There's probably more.

As for more usual NPCs, there's A'kin, the Friendly Fiend, who runs a shop in Sigil. He's an Arcanaloth. As is Shemeshka the Marauder, who is basically a mob boss.

In general, the 'loth are ridiculously untrustworthy. They aren't welcoming, either, though a lot of that is just the planes they live on. Hades is a breeding ground for disease, especially, a lot of them bred by 'loth magic. If you see one smiling, try to run, though it may be too late.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Troll in the Playground

Think you missed the General?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    OK - I thought I knew pretty much all the Mystara lore, or knew of it and where to check for the stuff I don't recall, but this one has me totally flummoxed (which is another sign of the greatness of this thread).

Please tell us more of these Law and Chaos elementals, and where in Mystara they hail from...
    Looks like they came from the Rules Cyclopedia, four of them at least. Later they showed up in the 2E Mystara Monstrous Compendium.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Worm View Post
    Yugoloths don't get much treatment compared to their Devil and Demon brethren. Are there any unique Yugoloths?
    See Eldan's post.

How far can you trust a Yugoloth
    Spoiler
    Show

How amicable are 'loths to visitors to their planes?
    See above.

How do 'loths who aren't mercenaries feel about the bloodwar traipsing through their home?
    Opportunistic.

Besides the General of Gehenna, what other positions of power can 'loths hold?
    Well, the General's the real power, but there's also the Oinoloth, the master of the Tower of the Arcanaloths, the master of the Tower of Incarnate Pain...

Do 'loths make missions to the prime material like devils and demons do?
    Not usually.

During the war of Law and Chaos did 'loths and angels get along or fight together?
    See above.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2015-02-14 at 11:14 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope. Now mind you, there are other ways that would happen...
    What are the other ways?
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

18. - Top - End - #1158

What are the other ways?
    He's making a sly reference to dating and then, presumably, boning celestials, which then results in part-celestial kids raised on a celestial plane, who then go on to, presumably, bone other semi-mortal or mortal beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

19. - Top - End - #1159

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't there a bit about how 'loths tried to be summoned by mortals on purpose, going so far as to forge summoning spells left behind on the planes, so that mortals summoned what they thought was a celestial or spirit, but was actually a disguised 'loth?

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't there a bit about how 'loths tried to be summoned by mortals on purpose, going so far as to forge summoning spells left behind on the planes, so that mortals summoned what they thought was a celestial or spirit, but was actually a disguised 'loth?
    It would seem to run at odds with their policy of creating guardian yugoloths specifically to divert summonings away from themselves...

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Ettin in the Playground

You're thinking of Erinyes, which are a type of Baatezu.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi, quick question, Lords of Madness and it's Flow of Fresh Brains web enhancement both equate their Nautiloid ships to Spelljammers. Are they?
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Hi, quick question, Lords of Madness and it's Flow of Fresh Brains web enhancement both equate their Nautiloid ships to Spelljammers. Are they?
    Nautiloids were a type of spelljamming vessel used by illithids, yes.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Closed Account

I've been looking at the Council of Wyrms recently, and the book gives the current year as 72,723. When you take that figure and convert from the longer dragon years given in the book to the Oerthean/Abeir-Torilian length years given in their respective Spelljammer sourcebooks (365 days exactly, no fuss with leap years or other nonsense) it comes out to 72,723 Greyhawk/Realms years. Have to give the book props for that exactly one thing.

Since there are many sources I don't have access to, my question is then: We aren't told what the Council measures its years from, but is 72,723 years since the beginning of the multiverse generally consistent with most other sources, or is it more reasonable to have the dragons mark their years from the formation of the Council?
    Last edited by Rob Roy; 2015-02-16 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo and added a break.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ogre in the Playground

Can the dead gods on the astral plane be manipulated in any way?

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    We aren't told what the Council measures its years from, but is 72,723 years since the beginning of the multiverse generally consistent with most other sources, or is it more reasonable to have the dragons mark their years from the formation of the Council?
    The latter.

Can the dead gods on the astral plane be manipulated in any way?
    Oh yes. Heck, there's a city on one of them.

Now of course, that's only a response to whether or not it's possible. It's certainly highly inadvisable...

27. - Top - End - #1167

MonkGirl

Can a God's Divine Realm be maintained after their destruction? Say... By members of their pantheon who survive them? Like... The prison keeper of the dishonorable dead dies, but other parts of his pantheon like having somewhere to shove undesirables and want to keep his old place operational?

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Can a God's Divine Realm be maintained after their destruction? Say... By members of their pantheon who survive them? Like... The prison keeper of the dishonorable dead dies, but other parts of his pantheon like having somewhere to shove undesirables and want to keep his old place operational?
    If they want to move in, sure, but otherwise not likely. On the other hand, what you describe is the sort of thing the pantheon would have collaborated on building, and the divine realm of the god in question would be only one small part of it.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, can their divinity be extracted, or can they be brought back to life with the Revive Outsider spell? (follow up to previous question about dead gods)

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, can their divinity be extracted
    Such as it still is, considering their state, some powerful beings certainly think it can and are going about trying to apply that theory. Looks like it's working too, considering.

or can they be brought back to life with the Revive Outsider spell?
    Pfft, no.