New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Announces: Path of War Expanded

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    Is there still time/a cutoff time for submitting archetypes to the DSP submissions board for PoW Expanded?

I have the beginings of an idea for a racial archetype for Dwarven Warders.
    You'll be warned when the 11th hour approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Mithril Current Bushi Warder just became my new build for Kenshin Himura.
    ...but Kenshin is clearly a Stalker
    That's the main reason I've been pushing for some way to get Mithral Current on a Stalker, not only does it match Kenshin, it matches the hitokiri archetype.

Gareth, you might want to use a different name for the Style feats (Form feats?). In Pathfinder, Style feats are exclusively unarmed, AFAIK.
    Last edited by Shinken; 2014-09-23 at 02:11 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

I've finished compiling the list of all PoW1 maneuvers that allow ranged combat, it's visible here.

Now if you'll excuse me, my eyes are twiddlin'.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

4. - Top - End - #64

Is there still time/a cutoff time for submitting archetypes to the DSP submissions board for PoW Expanded?
    Wait. That's a thing?
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    You'll be warned when the 11th hour approaches.
    How open are submissions?
    I've had an idea for a catfolk warlord archetype for a bit that I might try writing up, if the submissions are open to anyone ^_^
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

6. - Top - End - #66

Ask, and ye shall receive.

They're that open.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ask, and ye shall receive.

They're that open.
    I can personally vouch for this, as its more or less how I got involved in the project.

8. - Top - End - #68

Is there an Aegis Archetype that lets them use Iron Tortoise? I can't tell since I'm going off the PFSRD.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

No, the only two psionic archetypes currently are for Souknife and Psychic Warrior.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Quick note: The Destruction Cause of the Zealot's level-4 ability, by the way it's written, will ignore DR/-

I do not think this is intended, since it doesn't ignore DR/epic, but wanted to note that.
    Zealot writer here! It's intended. There are a considerable number of maneuvers that allow attacks to ignore all damage reduction and/or hardness, so the DR/epic restriction is actually a step down from those.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Is there an Aegis Archetype that lets them use Iron Tortoise? I can't tell since I'm going off the PFSRD.
    Unfortunately, there aren't any Aegis PoW archetypes released as of yet (that I know of). You'd need to use the Martial Training line of feats or dip/multiclass (Warder seems like an excellent choice - Int synergy and Iron Tortoise).
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

You can also take Clever Wordplay to make your Bluff skill work off Int.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so my brain was bouncing ideas. Not sure if this is too late to be suggested (no idea what the release date is), but here it goes.

I kind of miss Iron Heart Surge. Yes, it took houseruling to not be broken do to bad wording, but it was one of the most thematic abilities in the book. Through sheer force of will, you overcome the magic that restrains you. So I was thinking: Is that enough to build a discipline out of?

I'm thinking an entire discipline built around fighting magic. Have different versions of IHS-like maneuvers throughout the discipline, have stances that give bonuses on saves vs spells, maybe a stance for SR and one that prevents casting defensively (High level). Have buff-steal counters, spell redirection counters, buff steal strikes, dispelling strikes, and for the capstone, a Disjunction style ability that, on a failed save, removes spellcasting for 24 hours.

Against non-magical opponents, this discipline is completely useless. But against casters, you become a terror.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Against non-magical opponents, this discipline is completely useless. But against casters, you become a terror.
    And that's why it'll never happen. Disciplines are arts of war, not prestige classes. A discipline without a general application dies out with its practitioners.

Also caster hunting/fighting is a lot harder than your post would suggest.
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2014-09-23 at 10:20 AM.

My extended homebrew sig

14. - Top - End - #74
    Barbarian in the Playground

So does Piercing Lance do anything to mitigate the problems with Mount ScalingTM that make the style so... 'eh'?

Also, for multi-initiators like Warlord/Warder, what is your key initiation modifier for the purposes of non-class effects such as feats? (Same question for multi-manifesters like Psion/Vitalist.)
    Last edited by Powerdork; 2014-09-23 at 10:07 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    *snip*

If you build it, they will... look at its strengths and quality. Martial characters that wreck casters have a place in fiction, though, and I'm sure you can find plenty of inspiration for it.

That said, I wouldn't make the discipline completely useless against non-casters. Just mostly useless.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2014-09-23 at 10:02 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

And that's why it'll never happen. Disciplines are arts of war, not prestige classes. A discipline without a general application dies out with its practitioners.

Also caster hunting/fighting is a lot harder than your post would suggest.
    Shattered Mirror does a pretty good job as an anti-caster discipline, I thought. And, speaking of prestige classes, the PoW Mage Hunter does a fine job, too (though that's a bit of a "use a thief to catch a thief" scenario, because it gets casting).
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    Shattered Mirror does a pretty good job as an anti-caster discipline, I thought. And, speaking of prestige classes, the PoW Mage Hunter does a fine job, too (though that's a bit of a "use a thief to catch a thief" scenario, because it gets casting).
    If you tacked shattered mirror onto a stalker and used that combined withveiled moon mobility and steel sserpent's WIS, INT, CHA and CON poisoning strikes you could be an absolute terror for any caster.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Metool View Post
    Also, for multi-initiators like Warlord/Warder, what is your key initiation modifier for the purposes of non-class effects such as feats? (Same question for multi-manifesters like Psion/Vitalist.)
    Word of Bossman says you use your highest key ability modifier for psionics. Path of War will probably follow this precedent, but don't quote me until I've poked the team repeatedly with sharp objects.

My extended homebrew sig

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

So I better understand the question, could you please provide an example scenario?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

A character with a stat block of 10 18 12 10 14 16 and Stalker 6/Warlord 8 is using Solar Wind Flash from the style feats list. What is their primary initiation modifier for the purposes of the feat?
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2014-09-23 at 10:46 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground

From Bushi in the Class Templates doc, Loyalty Bushido:
    You may mark a friend or ally as a standard action a number of times per day equal to your initiating modifier (minimum 1). This mark allows you to know the relative position and general health condition of the creatures marked as if they were under the effects of a status spell (caster level equal to your initiator level). In addition, you are able to monitor their health level, as per the spell deathwatch.
    So I suppose same goes for Initiator Level, as well. Warder 6/Warlord 8 (both Bushi), with +4 Intelligence and +2 Charisma modifiers. (Yes, I'm being silly with ability scores here. Don't mind that.)

Or is that an illegal multiclass?
    Last edited by Powerdork; 2014-09-23 at 11:09 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    A character with a stat block of 10 18 12 10 14 16 and Stalker 6/Warlord 8 is using Solar Wind Flash from the style feats list. What is their primary initiation modifier for the purposes of the feat?
    Highest primary attribute modifier, for sure.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

*snip*
    Well that one's easy, since it's applied to a specific class. Class features, even ones with the same name and use, count separately unless explicitly stated to stack.

Thus, a Warlord (Bushi) 8 / Warder (Bushi) 6 would have 4 from Warder and 2 from Warlord, both at IL 14 because initiator levels give full IL to all classes.

At least, this is what my coffee-less mind is telling me.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2014-09-23 at 11:15 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84

From Bushi in the Class Templates doc, Loyalty Bushido:

So I suppose same goes for Initiator Level, as well. Warder 6/Warlord 8 (both Bushi), with +4 Intelligence and +2 Charisma modifiers. (Yes, I'm being silly with ability scores here. Don't mind that.)

Or is that an illegal multiclass?
    I'm inclined to say that you can't take the same class template twice. Going to discuss it with team, but take that as the ruling for now. You'll be updated with the final decision (as well as the beta doc, that'll get updated).

My extended homebrew sig

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I wish I could see some sort of battle medic, but i'll admit to being hazy how to make the fluff of fighting moves mesh up with the role of restoring allies.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    I wish I could see some sort of battle medic, but i'll admit to being hazy how to make the fluff of fighting moves mesh up with the role of restoring allies.
    Works okay if supernatural. The martial equivalent of a soulthief vitalist?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Silver Crane.

If you really want to screw with it, take a single level of Vitalist before going into.. any maneuver granting class while trading out for the discipline. The 6th level stance gives fast healing, which collective healing can reallocate.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Since the Zealot has a collective it could be possible for an an archetype to take a leaf out of the Vitalist playbook and get some sort of healing abilities, probably a Healing focused mission and zeal.
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2014-09-23 at 11:33 AM.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Since the Zealot has a collective it could be possible for an an archetype to take a leaf out of the Vitalist playbook and get some sort of healing abilities, probably a Healing focused mission and zeal.
    It already does! Creation. It'll get Silver Crane through an archetype, as well.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Huh.... that is what I get when I don't read everything in depth
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC