New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Erfworld 33

1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 33

Quote Originally Posted by Dread View Post
    Also: Maybe I'm going into too much detail there,but in comic nr 2 (I think), stanley misspelled "somebody" ("smoebody"). How can you do a typo if you subvocalize? Or is this a real typo by the author?
    Yeah, you're just going into too much detail. It's just not being "realistic". I think it's just more important to have that text speak there to properly introduce the Tool's personality.
    Last edited by Jiktori; 2007-03-13 at 04:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Heh, 'eyebook'...

The first thing he said was 'what the boop do you...', apparently in reference to Bogroll asking him to follow him.

Man, it would be annoying if you're someone like me, who constantly subvocalizes (and a lot of things I'd rather not have other people hear). Other than that, it'd be cool.

Clubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Founder of the Explosive Runes fanclub! To join, put a line in your sig.
    Official Sloganmaker and Eloquist of the Vaarsuvius Fanclub.
    Member of the ヒソジヨ Fanclub.
    Member of the カヅミ and ダイゴ [Kazumi and Daigo] fanclub.

Thanks to Mr. Saturn for the Dire Laptop avatar.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tolkien_Freak View Post
    Man, it would be annoying if you're someone like me, who constantly subvocalizes (and a lot of things I'd rather not have other people hear).
    Maybe it only does that when you have it open; that'd be neat.

I'm glad to see the eyebook wasn't just a one-shot thing in the 2nd comic, it's cool. And now we know what it's called (though I admit I didn't even notice the pun until it was pointed out here).

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that page 2 indicates, then, that Stanley actually thinks in chatspeak.

The horror.
    "Do you have a headache spell?"
    "Yes! Or... To cure one? No. If I had that, I would never stop casting it."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

did you notice that Stanly only has fingers when he absolutely needs them?:)
    Last edited by Marina; 2007-03-13 at 04:42 PM.
    I say MEOW!!!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paradox View Post
    I'm pretty sure that page 2 indicates, then, that Stanley actually thinks in chatspeak.

The horror.
    I believe I cited Stanley's use of chatspeak in a thread a while back as proof that Goblin Knob were the bad guys.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I think that panel 2 conversation was there just to make fun about how Stanley speaks comparing to Wanda, and to show their personalities
    Last edited by Marina; 2007-03-13 at 04:46 PM.
    I say MEOW!!!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I want an eyebook. Not those silly iBooks, but an eyebook.
    My Deviantart: www.skydivingninja.deviantart.com

Mid-air kidney harvester of the fan club.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Marina View Post
    did you notice that Stanly only has fingers when he absolutely needs them?:)
    The same is true for most of the other Erfworld characters (that is, the ones from Erfworld, not from the comic Erfworld.) At least, Wanda and Jillian. I'd have to check the others to be sure, but I am, reasonably.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

10. - Top - End - #40

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by chionophile View Post
    Hmm. "I'll handle Ansom's turn myself." That doesn't make much sense to me, in the TBS frame of reference. When it's not your turn, you can't do anything. You just sit there and watch while the other player\computer moves or attacks you.
    Well, that's why he can handle it. You're still going to want to watch the moves that your opponent makes, even if you can't immediately react to them.

11. - Top - End - #41

Hmmm... the book in comic 2 seems to work as a private message, not a chatroom. Maybe there's a way to do that that Parson hasn't figured out yet.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

If I had anything to do with writing the thing, I would have added 2 more panels (obviously I don't have anything to do with writing the thing) One panel of Parson responding to Dirtz asking him to order Parson to speak. And a second panel looking at parson who is smiling that evil parson smile and looking down at the book, but we don't get to see the book, all we see is Dirtz "CHOO" noise. I'd add this to the comic mainly because you know Parson's going to get someone to say it, so why not wrap that up in this one, and I also like the idea of Parson being able to speak and simply no longer having to verbally acknowledge the Tool.
    Last edited by Misvit; 2007-03-13 at 06:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

I want an eyeBook. I really, really do.
    Telling Tall Tales - A Not-So-Graphic, Photographic Graphic Novel

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Help? Yeah. How did the last guy in this job die, and what can I do to protect myself from that?"

"Warlord, you would then want ...a helm. With arrow proof eye protection."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Misvit View Post
    If I had anything to do with writing the thing, I would have added 2 more panels (obviously I don't have anything to do with writing the thing) One panel of Parson responding to Dirtz asking him to order Parson to speak. And a second panel looking at parson who is smiling that evil parson smile and looking down at the book, but we don't get to see the book, all we see is Dirtz "CHOO" noise. I'd add this to the comic mainly because you know Parson's going to get someone to say it, so why not wrap that up in this one
    Well, given that it's such an obvious next move, it can wait.

After a string of three strips on this scene, I can see why the authors usually cut back and forth more frequently -- longer blocks will probably work better after the story is all available, but a week and a half on one scene really whets the appetite to find out what's going on with Wanda's interrogation of Jillian and Ansom's progress on the attack.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by innovan View Post
    "Help? Yeah. How did the last guy in this job die, and what can I do to protect myself from that?"

Don't forget armor without a bullseye on it.
    You would think I would have a better sig right?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

I had completely forgotten about the book Wanda used in the second comic.http://http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0002.html
    DON'T PANIC
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."-Ford Prefect from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
    "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."
    "It's just a flesh wound."
    "We are now the Knights who say...'Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.'"

"I don't mind a lie if it's interesting."-Commoner from Rashomon

"Don't tell mom about our little project, okay?"-Robert Graysmith from Zodiac

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Oh, and for the record: The "ImInUrDirtz" internet meme started off a WC3 screenshot on the somethingawful forums. It became popular after this machall comic: http://www.machall.com/index.php?strip_id=336

That said: I want an eyebook too :(

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Natural 20 on Ramble On check:

Of course Stanley gets fingers when he needs them... I figure it's more the art style than his mittens seperating into falangies. And checking out pg 2, Stanley's a quack!

But if Sizemore can notice Hammy's on the eyebook, did he see the Ham Sir's message? If so, did STANLEY see the exploit? I'm thinking... no. But the Tool is a bit subtle when he's not venting. Stanley knows what he wants, and knows how get them (kinda, needs Wanda so he takes Jillian prisoner [if Manpower is an example, he could have her KILLED instead] -> Wanda's hobby). But he's not good at ironclad, inescapable wording.

Anyway, I think it's too soon for Hamster to be showing his ability to violate the spirit of the law. Parson shouldn't shoot his bolt until 1: he has a target worthy of it, and 2: he knows he'll hit his target.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

interesting.

well, i suspect parson will find an even better use for our dirt-mancer.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Stanley and Sizemore are the only members of the (nearly lost) Plaid (as in Played) tribe. They are also the only ones using sorts of l33t or chat speak (unlike Wanda) for instance. Could it be because they are somehow Played Characters compared to the other NPC's ?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earendill View Post
    Stanley and Sizemore are the only members of the (nearly lost) Plaid (as in Played) tribe. They are also the only ones using sorts of l33t or chat speak (unlike Wanda) for instance. Could it be because they are somehow Played Characters compared to the other NPC's ?
    W.A.G to follow. Prob'ly been said before.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Count up the 'real' world's friends. Count up the major Erf chars. Hmmm.
    Stan, Wanda, Jillian, Sizemore, Ansom.
    Gamer chick, bullet hole smiley yamika (don't know reference, but that thing rocks!), Applegeeks, Orange monkey shirt.
    Add Parson to that, and bingo! 5 to 5.
    Stanley - Parson
    Wanda - Gamer chick
    And then it breaks down. Horribly. But it's still fun.

And it makes sense to me, for some reason.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, huge, long time lurker, who was lured out by the ingenious humor of this comic.

For the record, Manpower is a temp agency that used to be big back in the 80's. Hence "Lord Manpower the Temporary." It cracked me up, I had to share.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

OK, I have a theory about what Stanley meant about "handling Ansom's turn."

There are two components to a standard strategic wargame: the strategy part, and the rolling part.

Strategy--deciding which units to attack, and where you're going to move--only occurs on your turn. But you may still need to *roll* (to determine defensive success) on your opponent's turn, to react to attacks.

My guess is that actual fighting (as opposed to *where* troops go) in Erfworld is the analogue of die rolling. So Stanley's off to try to boost troop morale (read: roll dice where his opponent can't see them and lie about the results). He doesn't need his Warlord for that; Parson will help out with strategy when it's Stanley's turn again.
    My latest homebrew: Gastrus

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

What are the chances of Parson cracking his own eyeBook revealing new functionality?

26. - Top - End - #56

I think that it's dissapointing that they've spent the past 3 issues (and who knows, maybe they'll go for a 4th), failing to establish which side of the good/evil spectrum they are on.
    proud founder of the cult of
    orthodox Banjoists
    we currently have: 4 members

(copy and paste that into your signiture to join, and send me a sacrificed goat and/or a message saying you have joined)

Visit Weebl you'll like him if you like funny things

27. - Top - End - #57

Maybe, just maybe, the authors are smart enough to figure out that noone with sense enough to lead a nation (however bad they are at it) will ever refer to them selves as evil. There is a reason the alignment scale only exist in D&D. Evil, as a state of mind dedicated to the worsening of the state of the world, does not exist!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Bugbear in the Playground

What I find interesting here is Stanley's belief that the odds and strategy don't matter - he's fated to win anyway, by divine decree.
    That might actually explain why his army has suffered so many defeats: He doesn't bother doing anything to ensure victory.
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chionophile View Post
    Hmm. "I'll handle Ansom's turn myself." That doesn't make much sense to me, in the TBS frame of reference. When it's not your turn, you can't do anything. You just sit there and watch while the other player\computer moves or attacks you.
    In my limited experience, some (tabletop) TBS's still allow some decision making by a side that's not "on turn". For example, whether to retreat from a battle (to the immediately opposite hex) or to stand ground. More sophisticated examples exist, I am sure, though I can't think of any at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by benthehater View Post
    ImInUrDirtz
    MaknUrGolmz

Quote Originally Posted by innovan View Post

http://theaterhopper.com/index.php?date=20070314

Coincidence? I think ... obviously yes. But funny nonetheless.
    Riff, we can't be sure it was Bun-Bun that stole your robot! -- Torg, Sluggy Freelance, (c) Peter Abrams

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    bullet hole smiley yamika (don't know reference, but that thing rocks!),
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's from Alan Moore's "Watchmen" comic