New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #963 - The Discussion Thread

From now on, if one member of the team is being eaten, go ahead and assume you should do something about that.

That's exactly how Durkon died. It's like poetry.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    From now on, if one member of the team is being eaten, go ahead and assume you should do something about that.

Belkar? D'ye need help, lad? Or are ye good?
    Nunhn.
    "No"? Was that' a "No, I'm good," or a "No, I need help"? Are ye still think'n it over?
    Nunhn.
    Wait, was that a "No, I'm thinkin' it ov'r," or was it a "No, I need help," or a "No, I'm good"?
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-09-27 at 02:13 AM.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    I'd say that villains need not be relatable, but more often than not, they should be human. You can have a Xykon or a Joker here or there to great effect, but to have most villains should have some redeeming trait or self-doubt or understandable motive or something, both to make them more compelling and to preserve the horror factor when you get a villain who's just a complete monster.

(Not that you're implying otherwise, it just got me thinking.)
    The reason it's important for villains to be recognizably human is that they force us to consider the nature of humanity, and the worse parts of ourselves. A boogeyman or a demon can be threatening and used to great effect in a story, but doesn't cause the same existential unease that a Redcloak or a Magneto or a Humbert Humbert does. If we sort of like Humbert Humbert, and cannot deny that he's recognizably human, he forces us to examine our own morality. Xykon does not.

On a related point, the villain-who-is-a-person satisfies the desire psychological complexity in literature, because she or he is complex. By contrast, a villain like Joker or Mephistopheles is effective because he brings out complex behavior in Batman or Faust. And villains like Cthulhu and the wolf in Little Red Riding Hood stand in for a general malevolence in the universe as much or more so than they operate as characters in their own rights.

[To qualify the above: I do not deny complete monsters like Xykon can have their own charm (I love the character), and can force readers to think in their own way.]
    Last edited by Bird; 2014-09-27 at 02:30 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGirl

biggrin Re: OOTS #963 - The Discussion Thread

Maybe Durkon sees connections everywhere, but HPOH knows that correlation does not imply causality and will not come to conclusions based on one single piece of second-hand anecdotal evidence?

(or maybe I'm reading too much into this webcomic )

5. - Top - End - #95

ClericGirl

BTW, nice second name, Durkon!

For the non-science geeks out there, "allotrope" means that an element can exist in two (or more) different forms, like carbon can be black graphite or shiny diamond....

or you know, Durkon can be both a cleric of Thor and the HPOH... nice prophetic name ye gave me, Mama!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Allotrope got a plan!!!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Indeed. She mentioned "Pension Day", after all.
    What I was trying to say was that "finding a few coppers" to pay for the bowls may well have been less a statement based on poverty than it was a reallocation of a fixed resource that she would have to take from something else.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I've been trying and trying to come up with something to say that someone hasn't already said, so I think I'll just give up and say I really liked this one.

And I really hope that, if this is the end of a chapter, we're in for a cutaway to Team Evil next strip.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by grandpheonix View Post
    Holy wisdom modifier batman!

No really tthough. Durkula doesnt have high wisdom apparently. Durkon on the other hand...
    ...Durkon on the other hand acted like he had a negative wisdom modifier in the toad monster battle. I mean, your friend is obviously been eaten by a monster and you let him be eaten because he didn't ask for help? Even Elan wouldn't be that stupid, especially based on something his mother had told him when he was just a child... to which he still hanged on to in the most literal sense. It's like he never matured even a little bit since then... was there never a situation in his life where he needed to help someone without that someone telling him to do so, in all those decades after the first memory? Heck, his own mother helped that dwarf who fell off the ladder in #947 without him asking for help, if it was Durkon in her place (and age) he would have let him die thanks to that reasoning. Just like Roy could easily have died from that toad monster. Seriously, there is a line between being considerate as to when you should help someone and to being utterly irresponsible and mindnumbingly stupid.
    Last edited by Adventurer; 2014-09-27 at 03:58 AM.
    Adventurer from birth till death.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Colossus in the Playground

Given that Roy was now inside the creature's mouth - any whacks to the creature's head risk damaging Roy as well. Still, Durkon could have gone for somewhere else on the creature.

Not helping people in the middle of a fight can have a number of reasons. For example:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BeKillstealing
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    That's more than neat, it's critically important. Durkon has been part of the order for a long time. Durkula won't tip off Roy by helping a party member. What would tip off Roy is if Durkula out thinks himself and steps in to do good for some third party they've never met before...without asking.

The vampire, an inherently evil and, more importantly here, not lawful being, missed out on the concept of respecting the rights and individuality of others. It's a subtle thing, but the point is that in trying to masquerade as being good, he's going to mess up in a way that Is indicative that he isn't Durkon.
    It's not about the vampire missing out on the true nature of Good, or of respecting the rights and individuality of others. What the vampire doesn't understand is character development--i.e., the ability of living beings to have experiences that change them.

This is a consistent theme in the comic--immortality stops your character from developing, because being confronted with your mortality is what forces you to think about your legacy and your impact on the world. Right-Eye accused Redcloak of not having ever matured since he first put on the Crimson Mantle. Xykon has been unable to develop interest in any new activities since he became a lich, leaving him with no possible recourse for pleasure but sadism (since his non-violent interests like terrible coffee are now denied to him). Tsukiko discovered the hard way that wights, despite being intelligent undead, are not capable of learning real affection. The spirits in Celestia assume forms that reflect their inner selves upon death and remain static in them forever (e.g. baby Eric Greenhilt, young and promiscuous Sara Greenhilt, curmudgeonly old Eugene Greenhilt, powerful warrior Horace Greenhilt). The personality of everyone who is immortal is frozen*, but everyone who is living and mortal has the capacity to change--even seemingly incorrigible and unrepentant murderers like Belkar.

And appropriately enough, Belkar has already accused Durkula of not understanding how character development works. What Durkon has realized is that Durkula doesn't merely have a poor grasp of character development, he literally cannot fathom it due to his very nature. So I don't think it's jumping the gun at all to call this a Fatal Flaw. It ties in with too many of the story's other themes. I know I wouldn't be able to resist if I was writing it.

Whatever happens to bring about Durkula's undoing though, it won't happen soon enough to save his homeland from destruction.

*though there have been some exceptions! Redcloak experienced character development when he decided to stop throwing away hobgoblin lives based on a childhood grudge. Malack presumably experienced character development when he formed a sincere bond of friendship with Tarquin. Sabine has formed an apparently genuine and enduring love for Nale. Unclear whether these apparent inconsistencies are deliberate or not on the Giant's part.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't think the bit with Roy and the toad ever happened, I think Durkon's feeding HPoH false information.
    Teal'c the Illithid avatar by me

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Not helping people in the middle of a fight can have a number of reasons. For example:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BeKillstealing
    That's not exactly a Lawful Good line of reasoning, though.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

I am really enjoying the flashbacks to Durkon's past.

And Durkon finally glimpses a silver lining in his predicament!

Thanks for your work, Giant.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hehe. His middle name is "all a trope."
    We don't need no steeeenkin' signatures!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    ...Durkon on the other hand acted like he had a negative wisdom modifier in the toad monster battle. I mean, your friend is obviously been eaten by a monster and you let him be eaten because he didn't ask for help?
    You never know; getting eaten might have been part of Roy's plan. Remember the arena fight against Thog? Somebody jumps in there and pulls Roy out of Thog's way, the pillars don't get smashed.

Roy is a crazy man, despite all the sensible talk and planning he does. It's one of the things I love about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varthonai View Post
    It's not about the vampire missing out on the true nature of Good, or of respecting the rights and individuality of others. What the vampire doesn't understand is character development--i.e., the ability of living beings to have experiences that change them.

This is a consistent theme in the comic--immortality stops your character from developing, because being confronted with your mortality is what forces you to think about your legacy and your impact on the world.
    I suspect that in Durkula's case, it's actually the opposite. He doesn't understand growth because he's never done it, rather than having stopped. Remember, he was created mere days ago. His only experience with how people learn and grow is what he's absorbed from Durkon, and he's still in the earliest stages of that.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Steveio View Post
    HPoH seemingly can't determine the emotional connection between Durkon's memories. To hazard a guess, I'd say Durkon plans on giving incorrect information to his bloodsucking parasite by playing off of this.

Or he plans on being as obnoxious as possible to the HPoH. Either way, it's going to be great.
    My take is that Durkon has realised that the vampire spirit has no understanding of human motivation, and he can use this to mislead it. [Think of the Sandestins used by magicians in Jack Vance's books. They are powerful spirits but they take all instructions literally.]

Of course, the story also suggests that Durkon himself is not the ideal person to be trying to play such games! But at least he has figured out that there are connections to figure out, and that the spirit won't get it.

18. - Top - End - #108

This is intriguing indeed! I won't waste breath speculating on what plan Durkon is brewing against Darkon, but I can't wait to find out. ^_^
    It doesn't matter what you CAN do--it matters what you WILL do.

19. - Top - End - #109

BarbarianGuy

Durkula has Aspergers?
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Really looking forward to whatever Durkon's planning to do next.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Worm View Post
    I don't think the bit with Roy and the toad ever happened, I think Durkon's feeding HPoH false information.
    Again, I doubt it because if Durkon could feed the High Priest of Hel false information he would have done so earlier and done something to reveal himself.

Peelee’s Lotsey

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post

Roy killed Durkon. Just what would the Deva say now?

Kidding.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Durkon has spotted the HPOH's weakness: evil spirits birthed in the halls of Hel herself don't have good Insight skills. At all. Evil dude doesn't understand what it is to be a living creature that grows and matures and feeds one experience into another.

Not certain how Durkon will use this realization, but he seems to have an idea.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

24. - Top - End - #114

I really enjoyed the update:
    1) it give insight into Durkon's nature, and I always appreciate the character development in this webcomic:
    2) it explains how a Tier 1 character has been so ineffective so far- he just doesn't step up and use his powers to their fullest. His greatest combat moment happened when Roy created the plan. When he is alone he can be an effective caster, come up with effective combat tactics, and figure out how to exploit enemies's weaknesses.
    3) it shows that Durkon can use this time time to be introspective and learn things about himself. That will not only help him trick the HPoH, but it turns his condition into a chance for self improvement, and not just a hopeless imprisonment.
    4) it shows that the Giant is ready move on and show other parts of the story, which I'm eager to see.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Durkula has Aspergers?
    Just because he's blind to normal mortal social behaviors doesn't mean that's what it is. He's an evil spirit forced into a mortal body, fumbling his way through each day.
    He's not human, he's not even a dwarf.
    "Dinnae discount tha victories ye have jus' cause ye dinnae plan fer 'em. […] Ye cannae beat yerself up o'er what ye might've done, V. Tha way lies madness." - Durkon Thundershield, Order of the Stick.

"Only the honor of a paladin is unbreakable." - Soon Kim, Order of the Stick.

What Would O-Chul Do?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I'm wondering if the title refers both to Durkon's struggles with the High Priest of Hel and Roy's struggles with the monster.
    Also the internal struggle Durkon has had between wanting to help and obeying his mother not to help without permission.

Quote Originally Posted by A Tad Insane View Post
    So Durkula can't evolve as a person? That's what I'm getting, considering he didn't pick up on how two events caused Durkon to change.
    No, the high priest can't understand how people evolve. Not the same thing at all. The fact that Durkon's accent slipped in when he wasn't trying to fool anybody shows that some degree of evolution can and will happen.

When you add the fact that by attempting to pretend to be a better teammate and not a psychopath, Belkar has actually become a better teammate and less of a psychopath without Belkar noticing, and that this has been a major theme for the last story arc, it suggests that maybe attempting to be Durkon will affect the high priest's character without the high priest noticing.

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    It's odd that Durkula can't make obvious logical connections between the two events though
    I believe we are meant to take that as evidence that the vampire's dark soul, being a construct from Hel's realm, has unusual thought patterns.

He lacks the ability to care about making harm to others, and with that comes the lack of ability to fully grasp certain human motivations and taboos.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LuisDantas View Post
    I believe we are meant to take that as evidence that the vampire's dark soul, being a construct from Hel's realm, has unusual thought patterns.

He lacks the ability to care about making harm to others, and with that comes the lack of ability to fully grasp certain human motivations and taboos.
    It's worth remembering that he has existed for only a few days. How could he possibly understand long-term growth?

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Also, we have his middle name, I think that's a first.
    I think so as well. I wonder if this will connect with Redcloak's chemical elementals in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    What's the smokey thing in the last panel?
    The Mechane's exaust fumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Twelvetrees View Post
    This looks good. What the heck does Durkon think is so good, though?
    The obviously short reach of the Vampire's ability to empathise. It may be used to fool him and to make him expose himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveio View Post
    HPoH seemingly can't determine the emotional connection between Durkon's memories. To hazard a guess, I'd say Durkon plans on giving incorrect information to his bloodsucking parasite by playing off of this.
    Right now I would guess that he will build a false memory - or simply lie to the Vampire - stating that he and Roy came to an understanding about how much initiative he is supposed to have, using a justification that will jump to Roy and the others as obviously false. For instance, "Roy asked me not to interfere unless he is being literally eaten, because he needs to raise the most possible XP alone in order to enact blood vengeance on his father". With any luck, such a lie could end up being stated by the Vampire and all but ensure the realization of his control over Durkon's body.

Quote Originally Posted by gornt View Post
    I don't get the emphasis on something in the last panel
    It is to show that Durkon has a very different "something" in mind.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Varthonai View Post
    *though there have been some exceptions! Redcloak experienced character development when he decided to stop throwing away hobgoblin lives based on a childhood grudge. Malack presumably experienced character development when he formed a sincere bond of friendship with Tarquin. Sabine has formed an apparently genuine and enduring love for Nale. Unclear whether these apparent inconsistencies are deliberate or not on the Giant's part.
    Interestingly, at least in the first case, Redcloak was confronted with someone else's mortality. It's likely that Malack and Sabine also learned loyalty from Tarquin and Nale, respectively, though presumably through means that didn't result in anyone dying (could have saved them from violent ends though).
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.