New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: So it happened, I am OP.

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Well, if you need to do something other than hit-point damage, and you don't want to play a spellcaster, you are kind of stuck unless you look outside of pathfinder. There are an abundance of ways for a 3.5 fighter to do stuff other than hit-point damage, but I can't think of many in pathfinder.
    He could maybe make a mediocre trip-build in PF? That might work. Less focus on HP damage, more party support, crowd control.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Bards are banned.
    Well, that's certainly not a thing I was expecting. Why would he ban bards? In any case, if you're sticking with this character, and can't change anyone else's character, then it might make sense to just give your existing fighter more of a tendency towards battlefield control. I don't know the exact best way to pull that off in pathfinder, but standard tripping can't be too far away from reasonable.

Alternatively, run away. Seriously, I read that other thread about ridiculous fiat-dependent rules, and now I'm looking at this one, with all of its ridiculousness, and if one of those things wasn't sufficient, then both probably is. It's just not a good situation where you are. I mean, there could be a morbid curiosity factor there, learning about how much stupider things can get, but it doesn't sound like you're having much fun.

3. - Top - End - #33

SwashbucklerGuy

They are too versatile and make every other class obsolete.

My DM views bards much like this forum views T1 casters.
    Oh, wow. This guy needs a math class.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

That sounds like he's seen someone play a bard at least halfway competently, which would make them shine against, well, whatever your group is doing.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I... I don't even. Not only it's the bard not capable of doubt everything (no trapfinding, limited spells and proficiencies), but inspire courage and the rest of the bard songs are amazing force multipliers! They work better with people, not without!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seems like this GM has some pretty weird ideas about what is overpowered and what needs fixing.

Maybe you should introduce him to the Tier system? Not because the Tiers are the be all, end all of measuring class power, but just to give him a different perspective on the relative power of the classes. It might open his eyes. Or it might not.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Well, that's certainly not a thing I was expecting. Why would he ban bards? In any case, if you're sticking with this character, and can't change anyone else's character, then it might make sense to just give your existing fighter more of a tendency towards battlefield control. I don't know the exact best way to pull that off in pathfinder, but standard tripping can't be too far away from reasonable.

Alternatively, run away. Seriously, I read that other thread about ridiculous fiat-dependent rules, and now I'm looking at this one, with all of its ridiculousness, and if one of those things wasn't sufficient, then both probably is. It's just not a good situation where you are. I mean, there could be a morbid curiosity factor there, learning about how much stupider things can get, but it doesn't sound like you're having much fun.
    As I said in that thread, it isn't that the game is not fun. There are just all sorts of little quirks that make me scratch my head and get slightly annoyed, but overall I am still having fun.

Of course, a lot of said fun is that I deal 90% of the groups damage and get to feel like the big damn hero all the time, so...
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Spamalot in the Playground

You can redo your fighter to be focused on control. Tripping, Dirty Tricks, grappling, anything.

You can also tone down your damage by focusing on sword-and-board style combat. It's weaker, sure, but you can still be effective and the party will appreciate you being a wall between them and the bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #39

Bards are banned.
    Okay, now this is my problem.

I think the only solution is to teach him how to play 3.5. Make him an account and tell him to redirect every single question here. He will get ironed out, easy.
    No longer will you have to worry about what color shoes you have on during a full moon to get an additional +1 to your attack roll.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Riverenco | Human Arcane Archer 3 | Princes of the Apocalypse
    Mud | Goblin Ancestral Guardian 3 | ???

CURRENTLY DMING:

None :(

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by JackRackham View Post
    He could maybe make a mediocre trip-build in PF? That might work. Less focus on HP damage, more party support, crowd control.
    In pathfinder improved trip was split into two feats, so it is a bit harder to do well without planning for it from level 1. Also, all flying creatures are automatically immune to tripping, so it is much weaker than in 3.5.
    Then again, doing something well isn't really the goal here, so maybe a trip build would work.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
    Seems like this GM has some pretty weird ideas about what is overpowered and what needs fixing.

Maybe you should introduce him to the Tier system? Not because the Tiers are the be all, end all of measuring class power, but just to give him a different perspective on the relative power of the classes. It might open his eyes. Or it might not.
    I tried explaining it to him, he dismissed it and said he would just hand waive it away with FIAT.

I found his solution to the DMM cleric especially interesting. Have the cleric's superior confiscate all of their night sticks and similar items. If the cleric refuses they are now branded a CE heretic and every paladin and good cleric in the world will kill them on sight.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
    I... I don't even. Not only it's the bard not capable of doubt everything (no trapfinding, limited spells and proficiencies),
    Anyone can find traps in PF, even ignoring the Archeologist archetype, and bard's limitations are a non-issue at the levels of power that group seems to play. (To stress the point, in the OP the OP talks about how his deliberately toned-down fighter is OP.)
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I tried explaining it to him, he dismissed it and said he would just hand waive it away with FIAT.

I found his solution to the DMM cleric especially interesting. Have the cleric's superior confiscate all of their night sticks and similar items. If the cleric refuses they are now branded a CE heretic and every paladin and good cleric in the world will kill them on sight.
    ...what? That's completely insane. Did he even give a reason why it would be considered heretical? Or why he would abuse the already flimsy alignment system just to **** you over? Why are you still playing with this person?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Well, as long as you're having fun, no reason to stop playing, but... That statement might be a bit of a sign of things to come.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Human Fighter 4
    16 Str, 16 Cha, 16 Wis, 16 Con, 12 Dex, 11 Int
    Masterwork Greatsword, Hand Crossbow, Tower Shield, Banded Mail +1
    Feats: Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialty, Iron Will, Dodge, Combat Reflexes, Power Attack.
    Dude, your build is................ im not sure what to call it. You do nice consistent damage, you shored up your Will save a bit, you get extra AOs and you have Power Attack which is pretty much standard for TH Fighter.

And by the Nine Hells you are wearing BANDED MAIL, seriously am I the only one that noticed that?? Unless PF changed its stats, its pretty lousy. Though i gotta say, nice rolls there, you have a very happy fighter.

The only way to "nerf" your "op" fighter is to take away WF, WS, and Power Attack, and i have absolutely no idea what to replace those with. Honestly i think your DM is hitting you guys with to low CR encounters, honestly a Shadow would wreck you personally, anything that flies would definitely hurt, though you might kill it eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

16. - Top - End - #46

Thats... Thats certainly one way to do it..

Listen, I don't mean to be an ass, but your DM is terrible. He's seeing problems where there are none, his methods for dealing with game issues is horrible to say the least.
    My guess is he's either not taken the time to read everything properly, or he's learned gaming from someone who had a less than stellar grasp on both the system and roleplaying games in general.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy2255 View Post
    ...what? That's completely insane. Did he even give a reason why it would be considered heretical? Or why he would abuse the already flimsy alignment system just to **** you over? Why are you still playing with this person?
    Well, disobeying a direct order from a superior is chaotic. Not helping a high level cleric, who clearly is working towards the greater good, is evil. Pissing off s powerful cleric will get you excommunicated and therefore branded a heretic.

Honestly this sort of thing is jre humurous than frustrating to me, atleast when talking about it in the abstract.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

On a side note, i know a guy who hates Bards, but he would never ban them. He just despises them. I was never sure why though. And while bards can be insanely versatile, they then suffer from Jack of All Trades-Master of None Syndrome.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'll repeat the advice stated earlier - work more towards versatility instead of pure damage.
    Take some feats towards unarmed fighting and improvised weapons? Maybe focus on the bow more o

Another way is to look away from stats and go for roleplayed limitations. Maybe your character finds religion, gets philosophical or chooses to challenge/test himself and decides to take some kind of vow limiting his fighting options?
    Some ideas for a good guy:
    - no-killing of sentient enemies
    - no dealing of lethal damage
    - will never strike first against a sentient enemy, always attempting parley before violence or challenge someone to single combat

Some ideas for a tough/berserker guy:
    - shields and helmets are for wusses
    - will not wear armor for a month
    - decides to kill all enemies with his bare hands

This might lead to dipping into Paladin or Barbarian in the future.

20. - Top - End - #50

Well, disobeying a direct order from a superior is chaotic. Not helping a high level cleric, who clearly is working towards the greater good, is evil. Pissing off s powerful cleric will get you excommunicated and therefore branded a heretic.

Honestly this sort of thing is jre humurous than frustrating to me, atleast when talking about it in the abstract.
    @point 2 first ... I kind of get you there. This stuff is so bad it's getting hilarious. In all honesty if I were in your spot then I'd see how far I can get that DM but that's maybe just my idea .

@point 1: So what if a dominated superior Paladin orders your Paladin to massacre innocent people who can't defend themselves and you refuse? Are you automatically fallen then?

I personally wouldn't play with somebody like this unless the person would be cooperative to change or at least discuss their ways.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    On a side note, i know a guy who hates Bards, but he would never ban them. He just despises them. I was never sure why though. And while bards can be insanely versatile, they then suffer from Jack of All Trades-Master of None Syndrome.
    Isn't that why everyone gets Bardic Knack and Jack of all Trades so they can play a Master of All Trades?

To the OP (which is hilarious with the title; yes you are an OP OP) my suggestion is that you focus on ineffective tactics. Disarming foes, sundering swords, back pedaling while shooting crossbow bolts, etc. If your character can not be challenged then you have the room to play for fun rather than just trying to kill your opponents.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bulhakov View Post
    I'll repeat the advice stated earlier - work more towards...
    "Working towards" is appeasement, and appeasement is not always the best policy.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Isn't that why everyone gets Bardic Knack and Jack of all Trades so they can play a Master of All Trades?
    Shhhh. Dont let him know that.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Monk, Witch, Magus, Cleric, Druid I think. The DM wants us to keep meta game knowledge to ourselves and we can't describe our characters to each other OOC.
    Did Pathfinder nerf the cleric and druid to uselessness, or are the players of those classes not familiar with the power of these classes? I'm not familiar with the tier/power of witch and magus.

@DMM Cleric: while nightsticks surely boost such a cleric's power, such a build even works without a single one. persisted Divine Power alone lets the cleric outshine the fighter.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-09-27 at 03:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

RangerGuy

The Witch is a beast. The Magus can be pretty amazing too. There's no question OP's figher is the weakest class in general.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

So the problem seems to lie with the players and the DM. So teach them (the DM as well as the other players), if that does not work, offer to DM and continue to try to teach them. If they still remain willfully ignorant of the game, look for a new group.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, what's the difference between you and the iconic fighter? Slightly different ability scores, power atttack and iron will instead of two-weapon fighting and two-weapon defense, and that's it?

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by emeraldstreak View Post
    The Witch is a beast. The Magus can be pretty amazing too. There's no question OP's figher is the weakest class in general.
    There's a monk, too, so maybe not.

Anyway, I agree, go for a control build. Grab a polearm and trip everything.

Also, your DM sucks.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    And by the Nine Hells you are wearing BANDED MAIL, seriously am I the only one that noticed that?? .
    AFAIK we don't play with money or crafting and all of our gear comes from loot. The banded mail is the only magic armor we have yet found, and there has been no mundane full plate so far, which afaik is the only mundane armor that is better once you factor in the +1.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

AFAIK we don't play with money or crafting and all of our gear comes from loot. The banded mail is the only magic armor we have yet found, and there has been no mundane full plate so far, which afaik is the only mundane armor that is better once you factor in the +1.

AFAIK we don't play with money or crafting and all of our gear comes from loot.

AFAIK we don't play with money or crafting

we don't play with money
    All right, the DM has just passed from "terrible" to "... okay, he's playing some sort of vaguely D&D-like game that is thoroughly unrecognizable to most people's D&D experiences." Whatever you're playing, it's going to get weirder from here on out.