New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Another RWBY Thread: Theories about the Characters.

I know there's already a thread about RWBY (and have been a few before that as well), but from what I've read about them, they just seem to be critiques (good or bad) about the show itself, with a bit of speculation thrown in now and then.
    The purpose of this thread is for all the theories, big or small, supported or head-cannon no matter how far-fetched that they might be.

So to start with, here's a couple of mine.
    Summer Rose (Ruby's mother) was a Huntress, in the same Team as Qrow (and possibly Ozpin and Glynda as well) and died in the line of duty. This would explain Ozpin making special note of Ruby's eyes (them being the same colour as her mothers) and his familiarity with the style of Scythe combat that Ruby uses.
    It would also Glynda's 'Iron and Silk' attitude when she's lecturing Ruby about facing Roman ("A pat on the back... And a slap on the wrist) which, to me anyway, shows she has at least a little affection for the girl.
    Ruby calling Qrow her 'Uncle" could possibly just be a term of respect, like calling your dad's best friend 'Uncle Dave'.

Adam Taurus is the 'new' leader of the White Fang. He doesn't wear the normal WF uniform and his mask is more elaborate. Blake even comments that she knows the new leader.

Spoiler: Things that might be spoilers
    Show
    James Ironwood is trying to push the Kingdoms into an all out war with the White Fang (and Faunus in general), hence his scientists, along with the Schnee Dust Comapany, upgrading the AK series robots. Also his input in the creation of Penny. Robot soldiers that look exactly like humans... Yeah, that's gunna help with race relations.

Cinder Fall isn't this 'Queen' that Ozpin and Qrow are worried about, but is a very high ranking subordinate. I have no evidence, but I just don't think they'd introduce the actual BBEG so early.

Roman Torchwick is somehow related to Ozpin. I know it's a long shot, but their facial features are quite similar (hey, I said far fetched theories were all good )

I believe Jaunes Semblance has something to do with boosting the abilities of the people around him, either by just making them feel more compitent or by adding actual power behind their attacks or augmenting their own Aura's and Semblances.

Well, those are some of mine, let's hear yours.
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2014-08-31 at 12:56 AM.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Another RWBY Thread: Theories about the Characters.

Alright, here are some of mine.

Jaune's Semblance is gonna require him to have jaw dropping levels of stamina, but let's him transfer Aura over to other people, thus recharging or super charging them on the fly.

Wiess's mother was killed by the white fang, and she may have seen the video/live footage of her execution, possibly also her being tortured.

Wiess's Father has been abusive in at least some form or capacity.
    "I Burn!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Alright, here are some of mine.

Jaune's Semblance is gonna require him to have jaw dropping levels of stamina, but let's him transfer Aura over to other people, thus recharging or super charging them on the fly.

Wiess's mother was killed by the white fang, and she may have seen the video/live footage of her execution, possibly also her being tortured.

Wiess's Father has been abusive in at least some form or capacity.
    I'd say he's just been distant and stand offish with Wiess while doting at affectionate to Winter.

But I like your theory on Jaune's Semblance .

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

She got the scare somewhere. How hard would it be to push her in her training, and make sure she takes beatings on the grounds of "if she feel pain in the training, she'll remember what to do to not feel that pain, and it will save her life, so it's for the best." when in reality all your doing is beating a mostly defenseless child because you can, and making sure others will have a harder time calling you on it.

And hell, he doesn't even have to be physically abusive, words can screw a person up if there the right one's with the right tone and context at the right time.
    "I Burn!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Nora has Five-Hour Energy instead of blood.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    She got the scare somewhere. How hard would it be to push her in her training, and make sure she takes beatings on the grounds of "if she feel pain in the training, she'll remember what to do to not feel that pain, and it will save her life, so it's for the best." when in reality all your doing is beating a mostly defenseless child because you can, and making sure others will have a harder time calling you on it.

And hell, he doesn't even have to be physically abusive, words can screw a person up if there the right one's with the right tone and context at the right time.
    Very, very true. Wasn't thinking about that side of things.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Cinderella had two step sisters. Cinder's are Weiss and Winter.

Ozpin is the Wizard and Glinda is the Good Witch. Does that mean Ironwood is the Tin Man and Qrow is the scarecrow? If so who's the Cowardly Lion?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wayac View Post
    Ozpin is the Wizard and Glinda is the Good Witch. Does that mean Ironwood is the Tin Man and Qrow is the scarecrow? If so who's the Cowardly Lion?
    Ooooooh.

Maybe Professor Port. I doubt he's all bluster, but he's got a lot of it.

Nora was Ren's inspiration to be a huntsman. He uses to be weak but she encouraged him to become stronger. No doubt half his exercise was chasing her around, though.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Yang's fire abilities are not her Semblance. they are actually gained from infusing some fire dust into herself, and her real Semblance is her ability to absorb hits and become stronger because of it.

Pyrrha is going to be targeted by CRME first, this is known, but Jaune is going to save Pyrrha from them with his unknown Semblance out of nowhere and throw them completely off guard because they all thought that Jaune was not a threat.

Cinder wants hunters and huntresses eliminated because she is actually part of a cult that worships the Grimm.

and....um thats all I got.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think Ozpin's team had Summer Rose, Qrow, and Professor Port, and that Summer Rose died due to one of Ozpin's decisions which is one of the reasons he told Ruby he's made so many mistakes(I can't remember the exact quote), and perhaps Port thought it was the right decision to make due to him saying Ozpin has never steered him wrong. I also think Qrow was a good friend of Summer which led him to giving Ruby private tutoring lessons or being a good friend to her throughout her life.

I think Jaune's Semblance was that bright light that happened when the bully guy(can't remember his name) tried to punch him and Jaune's wounds were completely healed afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Pyrrha is going to be targeted by CRME first, this is known, but Jaune is going to save Pyrrha from them with his unknown Semblance out of nowhere and throw them completely off guard because they all thought that Jaune was not a threat.
    I like that, perhaps Pyrrha confessed her love to Jaune right before or after that.

Edit: As for Port being the cowardly lion, perhaps he was a coward when he was younger and Ozpin helped him find his courage.
    Last edited by JHShadon; 2014-08-31 at 02:57 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Jaune dies (or gets seriously wounded) in the process sending Pyrrha into a rage. She then uses her semblance to make Mercury's boots go in opposite directions VERY fast. I'm really hoping that she gets to finish him off that way

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    Ooooooh.

Maybe Professor Port. I doubt he's all bluster, but he's got a lot of it.

Nora was Ren's inspiration to be a huntsman. He uses to be weak but she encouraged him to become stronger. No doubt half his exercise was chasing her around, though.
    Professor Port is Peter of Peter and the Wolf fame.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Nora has Five-Hour Energy instead of blood.
    Haha! I can fully imagine that!

Quote Originally Posted by JHShadon View Post
    I think Jaune's Semblance was that bright light that happened when the bully guy(can't remember his name) tried to punch him and Jaune's wounds were completely healed afterwards.
    That was his Aura, just on a slightly larger scale than when Pyrrha unlocked it back in the Emerald Forest.
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2014-08-31 at 04:27 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Professor Port is Peter of Peter and the Wolf fame.
    And therefore he can't also be the Lion? Blake is, arguably, both Beauty and the Beast; I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for someone to have simultaneous roles from multiple stories.

That said, considering Ironwood I vaguely suspect the Lion would have ties to another school, perhaps in Vacuo.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I seem to recall Monty said in the Afterbuzz interview that he was talking with the writers about creating and introducing a lion character. Which rules out that Port or anyone else already introduced is the lion character.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2014-08-31 at 11:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    That was his Aura, just on a slightly larger scale than when Pyrrha unlocked it back in the Emerald Forest.
    Oh, then my guess is that Jaune's Semblance will be something to do with protection or healing, perhaps like a Paladin's Lay on Hands ability.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JHShadon View Post
    Oh, then my guess is that Jaune's Semblance will be something to do with protection or healing, perhaps like a Paladin's Lay on Hands ability.
    Everyone assumes this sort of thing, but there really isn't any evidence for it. The most I get as a suggestion for Jaune's ultimate semblance is that we know semblance is an expression of the individual and the writers said in "Emerald Forest part 2" as well as JNPR fights the deathstalker that the reason Jaune's a leader is that, as a strategist, he recognizes he is less important and therefore is willing to sacrifice himself to achieve the teams goals.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

If Jaune goes the strategist angle, his Semblance might be some sort of hypercognition that manifests as precognition. It lets him "see ahead" a few seconds to predict exactly what the other side is going to do.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    If Jaune goes the strategist angle, his Semblance might be some sort of hypercognition that manifests as precognition. It lets him "see ahead" a few seconds to predict exactly what the other side is going to do.
    That would be cool.
    "I Burn!"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Shulk then foresees Jaune stealing his thing and attacks him, Jaune foresees Shulk attacking him and then Jaune then proceeds to run away from the badass wielding a red sword and shouting "This is the power of the Monado!!"
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    And therefore he can't also be the Lion? Blake is, arguably, both Beauty and the Beast; I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for someone to have simultaneous roles from multiple stories.

That said, considering Ironwood I vaguely suspect the Lion would have ties to another school, perhaps in Vacuo.
    I took the 'Beast' part to mean the White Fang, at least what they've become, with Adam being the physical representation of that.
    Also in most modern versions of the Beauty and the Beast fairy tail, the Beast's name is Prince Adam.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

EDIT: Oops accidentally edited this rather than adding a reply. If mod sees this plz help

Time to update the list. Tell me if I missed anyone also, I want to ask about the rules for character matches. Should a match be:

1) A character whose characteristics are at least prima facie identical to the RWBY character. That is, they would react to most similar situations the same way (say generic villain challenge, an unfamiliar social situation, meting a new friend, and so on). For example, (possibly the best example) both Glynda and McGonagal run to the protection of student that is in danger, both have rather practical outlooks (that are often wrong in the weird world they live in), they are both stern and rather strict about the rules.

2) The two characters share a lot of characteristics.

3) The two characters also share a given quick overview of the personality (like what I give)

To elaborate I think you could make a case for Naruto and Goku for Ruby with 2, but not at 1 (I think only Ruby would be hesitant at facing a ballroom dance, though Naruto and Goku may both make fools of themselves, especially Naruto), and certainly not 3 (since of the three only Ruby is geeky).

Also I'll be going that any to people can outvote me to force a particular thing in the list or strike off something.

Spoiler: List of RWBY Character Personalities/Archtypes
    Show

Team RWBY

Ruby:geeky child. Seeks acceptance and recognition

Other characters in anime: Naruto, Goku of Dragon Ball <insert letters here>

Weiss: perfectionist hoity toity tsundere. Tends to depart from type.

Characters: Louise in Familiar of Zero, Uryuu in Bleach

Blake: brooding loner with a secret past.

Characters: Cloud in FFVII

Yang: Big sis/party girl. I'm not sure, "party girl" describes her (we haven't seen her at one party). Maybe joy de vivre and fearless. Her interactions with Junior suggest an edge to her.

Characters: Revy from Black Lagoon

Team JNPR

Jaune: Heroic loser

Characters: Keiichi from Oh My Goddess!, Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon

Nora: Genki Girl

Characters: Pinkie Pie from My Little Pony

Pyrrha: Magical Supportive [pseudo-]girlfriend.

Characters: Belldandy from Oh My Goddess!

Ren: Cool guy

Characters: Spike in Cowboy Bebop

Team Ozpin

Ozpin: Dumbledore

Glynda: Stern Pragmatic Teacher

Characters Resembling her: Professor McGonagal, Cloud Wolf (Edge Chronicles, The Spook (The Wardstone Chronicles)

Oobleck: Genki Teacher

Port: Soul Eater's Excalibur

Team CRME

Cinder: Scary sexy villainess

Roman: Something Thief

Mercury:

Emerald:

Neo:

Team TSUN

Sun Wukong: Scoundrel with a heart of gold

Neptune:

Ironwood Faction

Ironwood:

Penny: Crona from Soul Eater

Finally some new character speculation and words from Monty

Lie Ren: Is gay

Spoiler: Cinder according to Monty
    Show
    is not anyone's mother as quoted by the wikia

Cinder: Is based on Cinderella, will crash the ball, her powers will have something to do with the moon, and is not related to Yang or Ruby. Also, its completely obvious, but Cinder will have dust incorporated into all her clothing, and her eyes glow fiery because she has implanted dust in her body.

Mercury: Has a speed-style semblance

Sun: Despite his introduction and characterization as a seeming scoundrel, he is way to sweet on Blake to the point that he will want to to settle down. Also, the reason he can't seem to relate to Blake's obsession, asked Blake to the dance and hasn't been around to help Blake through it is he honestly doesn't have any darkness or brooding in him at all. He is all sunshine and light, just like his clones.

Yang: Her eyes glow with a fiery effect when she just gets angry. That seems at odds with the kinetic vampire power description. Perhaps she incorporated dust into her body like Cinder?

Ozpin: He knows Cinder and made mistakes with her in the past as her mentor. She embraced the dark side of the force.

On the very long term side:

Spoiler: What's going to happen to everyone
    Show

Ruby: Will grow up

Weiss: Will unfreeze when she let's love in

Blake: Will finally loosen up when she finally comes out of the pound and gets to stand openly as a faunas against the White Fang

Yang: What she's perfect

Yang's Mom: She is Twilight Princess, and she isn't Cinder or anyone we've met yet.

Jaune: Will find love and become a hero

Pyrrha: Will get pwned.

Nora: Will get a chance to show she's more than just a crazed genki girl

Ren: Will get a boyfriend.

Qrow: We will see him at some point. He will be awesome. He's also way too old for someone that was supposed to be on a team with Summer, Dad, and Yangmom.

Cinder's Mom: If there's anyone Cinder would work for without double-crossing, it would likely be an older parental figure to which she's the heir apparent see Azula and the Fire-Lord.

Torchwick: Will get his own agenda someday.

Ironwood: Will have good intentions but totally play into the villains hands and interfere with our heroes due to his belief that raw military power is the way to solve anything. Again, this one is hardly speculation. He is strong in the archetype.

Finally, the most wild theory to pop in my head: Neptune is bi-sexual and has been in a casual or open-relationship with Scarlet.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2014-09-07 at 10:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Yang and Winry Rockbell have a good amount of common ground.

Ruby is the optimistic little kid who has big hopes and believes they can do anything, if they just BELIEVE IT! I'm not coming up with specific characters at the moment, but I know I've seen the type. (Albert Morcerf from Gankutsuou, though that's a pretty niche show.)

RE: Spike, I think he's waaaaaaay more easygoing than Ren is. He's confident, skilled, and incredibly lazy.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-09-02 at 12:59 PM.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Jaune's Semblance is Aura Manipulation. What that means is that he can use his aura for things other than what's obvious, such as the healing solar flare, aura translocation and perhaps even aura drain.

Besides, I think that Jaune's family sword will play a big role in the story - perhaps Jaune loses his sword, being forced to make another, and now not be bound to his family's destiny, but rather be able to choose his own destiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Ruby is the optimistic little kid who has big hopes and believes they can do anything, if they just BELIEVE IT! I'm not coming up with specific characters at the moment, but I know I've seen the type.
    if they just BELIEVE IT!
    BELIEVE IT!
    *cough*-ttebayo
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    This looks like a place where I can get my description of RWBY character personalities/archetypes updated without having to wade through pages of unrelated dialogue to see the few posts that update. I apologize, I know I missed someone's updates to this list. It helps to include the words "List of RWBY Character" in your reply.

Notes: I didn't remove Spike (from Cowboy Bebop) as a match for Ren, largely because the two responses arguing with thi did not show incompatible personality traits. One simply attacked the notion, the other noted Spike was a team leader (Ren isn't) and had a real history. I do see it as a limited match, and there should be better "generic cool guys" out there, as Ren basically has nothing to him except for being cool and competent, and being friends with Nora. I don't recall Spike's leadership traits, simply that he's out in front, I remember Jet as the leader (admittedly I watched it over a decade ago).

I think I'm missing a match someone had for Nora. Pinkie Pie has a much deeper personality, given her deep insecurities, but on the surface the two react the same to most situations. Nora, however, will not have a problem being excluded from the group, she'll just insert herself at an (in)opportune time.
    Another difference between Nora and Pinkie is that Pinkie think that when there's something fun, they (meaning everyone) should do it, but Nora can usually be talked out of doing whatever crazy thing she's thinking of doing this time.
    As far as other matches go, I don't know. The closest character I can think of right now is Camicazi, from How to Train your Dragon. They're both very much Genki Girls with a great love of violence and a lack of height, but the sticking point is that Camicazi is very boastful and headstrong (and misandristic, in a childish way) and not quite as random (although that may be partly due to the company she keeps). She's the best I can think of at the moment, though.

On reflection, Cloud Wolf doesn't fit Glynda much, as his relationship with his pupil is very close and often rocky. The Spook still fits, iirc. Also, Tvtropes has a page of examples for Glynda. Use with caution.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2014-09-02 at 01:51 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

*cough*-ttebayo
    *whistles innocently*-dattebayo

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

*cough*-ttebayo
    I see where your going here. Ruby...Naruto I don't see it. Naruto is an outcast pranking hyperactive child hero (older Naruto has messiah martyr going on). Ruby is a geeky child and "heroic" personality descriptor the way it is for Naruto. Naruto and Jaune pull extraordinary impossible heroic actions out of the air, Ruby sees where she is needed and goes there.

Yang and Winry Rockbell have a good amount of common ground.

Ruby is the optimistic little kid who has big hopes and believes they can do anything, if they just BELIEVE IT! I'm not coming up with specific characters at the moment, but I know I've seen the type. (Albert Morcerf from Gankutsuou, though that's a pretty niche show.)

RE: Spike, I think he's waaaaaaay more easygoing than Ren is. He's confident, skilled, and incredibly lazy.
    I don't see how Winry is a take-any-challenge-without-fear and dive head first into fun sort. She simply isn't the type of person to walk into a club uninvited and grab someone by the balls. She has something of a big sis going on with the boys but its more unacknowledged romantic tension than mom-surrogate.

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Another difference between Nora and Pinkie is that Pinkie think that when there's something fun, they (meaning everyone) should do it, but Nora can usually be talked out of doing whatever crazy thing she's thinking of doing this time.
    As far as other matches go, I don't know. The closest character I can think of right now is Camicazi, from How to Train your Dragon. They're both very much Genki Girls with a great love of violence and a lack of height, but the sticking point is that Camicazi is very boastful and headstrong (and misandristic, in a childish way) and not quite as random (although that may be partly due to the company she keeps). She's the best I can think of at the moment, though.

On reflection, Cloud Wolf doesn't fit Glynda much, as his relationship with his pupil is very close and often rocky. The Spook still fits, iirc. Also, Tvtropes has a page of examples for Glynda. Use with caution.
    Yeah finding good matches is quite difficult. I wonder if we tried it for a generic anime everyone seen if it would be easy. I think the new stern teacher models are good one thing but one reason I used McGonagall for Glynda is that Glynda and Ozpin have a similar dynamic to McGonagall and Dumbledor. In both cases the "pragmatic" instructors down-to-earth ideas are way off and the crazy odd ideas of the headmaster always turns out to be spot on.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see how Winry is a take-any-challenge-without-fear and dive head first into fun sort. She simply isn't the type of person to walk into a club uninvited and grab someone by the balls. She has something of a big sis going on with the boys but its more unacknowledged romantic tension than mom-surrogate.
    I said they had a lot of common ground, not necessarily 100%. They're both prone to fits of rage, they're very driven and enthusiastic and at times recklessly fearless. (Arguably, this shows up more in the first anime.) Now, it's true that she doesn't have the almost macho confidence that Yang displays, but she hits a lot of the other bases.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-09-03 at 09:41 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

I see where your going here. Ruby...Naruto I don't see it. Naruto is an outcast pranking hyperactive child hero (older Naruto has messiah martyr going on). Ruby is a geeky child and "heroic" personality descriptor the way it is for Naruto. Naruto and Jaune pull extraordinary impossible heroic actions out of the air, Ruby sees where she is needed and goes there.

Yeah finding good matches is quite difficult. I wonder if we tried it for a generic anime everyone seen if it would be easy. I think the new stern teacher models are good one thing but one reason I used McGonagall for Glynda is that Glynda and Ozpin have a similar dynamic to McGonagall and Dumbledor. In both cases the "pragmatic" instructors down-to-earth ideas are way off and the crazy odd ideas of the headmaster always turns out to be spot on.
    I think that Ruby's resemblence to Naruto come from the fact that they are driven towards lofty, heroic ideals by their inner pain. Naruto's loneliness drove him to want to be the greatest Ninja around, the hero of the village, while Ruby seeks to uphold her mother's memory and fight the beasts that killed her. Well, according to her songs. They also both have a great deal of innocence about the task they want to attempt and a general cheerful attitude.

Good point about the Dumbledore-Mcgonagall dynamic. It may be the closest fit we're likely to get. (Vimes and Vetinari have a similar dynamic, but don't fit the archetype)
    The more I think about it, the more I think that Camicazi fits Nora. I can't think of many violent Genki girls; it seems to be a character type more suited to love, not war.

What's your reasoning for Yang != Goku? They seem pretty good matches to me: he's even done a couple of things that could be equivalent to the ball-grabbing. It's your list, but this choice confuses me.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2014-09-03 at 01:27 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!