New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld thread IV: In memory of King Saline

I get the feeling GMTTA got more than their bargained for. My money is on Parson destroying their little culty group.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

The Great Minds Who Think Alike have unbending rules, altogether too much knowledge (which is power) and an unknown agenda (outside of getting rid of Charlie). Not great traits for a protagonist to have...

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    Yeah, but this time it's literally about "Forgive a minor transgression so we can give Charlie a beating"... and the Great Minds simply can't let go. This isn't even tradition - this is simply being greedy and wanting everything.
    I'm curious why you're categorizing this transgression as "minor", since to my knowledge the only thing we know about it is that it was significant enough that they worked out their answer in advance.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ettin in the Playground

It's certainly a massive transgression to them, whatever it is. Our standards might not be aligned with theirs, though.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm hoping it isn't minor frankly. I kind of like Isaac, for all the unsettling aspects of his cabal, and the conflict is much more interesting if what Bunny did, while understandable from a certain perspective, was still a huge violation that is forbidden for better reasons than simply the Great Minds' ensconced self interests.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    I'm hoping it isn't minor frankly. I kind of like Isaac, for all the unsettling aspects of his cabal, and the conflict is much more interesting if what Bunny did, while understandable from a certain perspective, was still a huge violation that is forbidden for better reasons than simply the Great Minds' ensconced self interests.
    Some ideas:
    -Don's son had thinkamancy and Bunny took them away so Don could stay on the throne
    -Similar situation to Stanley/Jillian - Someone blackmailed Don's life in exchange for some secret of Thinkamancy
    -That contract Charlie mentioned concerns this in some way. That's an obvious Chekov's gun, though how it'll go off hasn't been revealed yet.
    -Bunny is directly involved in Transylvito's bat scouting thing.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

All we know is that it involves an oath to the Great Minds that she broke (for love).

The Great Minds seem to be mostly concerned with protecting Thinkamancy's secrets and mysticism, as much as they are with opposing Charlie (who, really, boils down to a business competitor of theirs). What could Bunny have told Don, or shown him, that would warrant excommunication from the Minds?

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    All we know is that it involves an oath to the Great Minds that she broke (for love).

The Great Minds seem to be mostly concerned with protecting Thinkamancy's secrets and mysticism, as much as they are with opposing Charlie (who, really, boils down to a business competitor of theirs). What could Bunny have told Don, or shown him, that would warrant excommunication from the Minds?
    Perhaps it's the viewing things through bat eyes?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Absolutely this. The thing is, all the pieces are set up for the rule violation to be (from our perspective) silly. We have a society with strange secret rules on one hand, and a character who did something "for love" (a motivation we're supposed to immediately identify with) on the other. Plus, we naturally sympathize with the individual over the cabal. The narrative will be so much more interesting if it subverts our expectations by forcing us to consider that the Great Minds actually had a good point.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    Yeah, but this time it's literally about "Forgive a minor transgression so we can give Charlie a beating"... and the Great Minds simply can't let go. This isn't even tradition - this is simply being greedy and wanting everything.
    While I agree with Parson's position, we still don't know the details of the "transgression".
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, the transgression could be anything at this point. For example, what if Bunny is responsible for Don's "Bat Cam" abilities and that's a power the Great Minds don't want overlords to have? What if her skills were integral to the fall of Don King's numerous heirs, but they weren't all guilty? One was just a good enough leader that it threatened her king? What if she used her access to "certain thinkamancy bands" to listen in on and report to Don about topics that the Great Minds agreed to keep secret? What if she outright told him about the Great Minds, and some of the many conspiracies they're involved in? What if she used her abilities to "rig" battles in a way that the Great Minds find disgusting? Or betray a standing king in favor of a young and upcoming vampire with the charm of a godfather and the hair of a boxing promoter?

If Thinkamancers were allowed to operate with impunity and without guidelines, they could easily be as hated and mistrusted as Carnies. Heck, more than Carnies. The austerity of the Great Minds, the neutrality of the Magic Kingdom, the entire lot in life for entire disciplines of casters in general, all of it could be destroyed very easily by a rogue Thinkamancer with more loyalty to her leader than her kin. Maggie might well become proof of that.

A soul in love can justify many treasons, and not all of them are minor.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2015-04-29 at 11:56 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

12. - Top - End - #1272

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    I get the feeling GMTTA got more than their bargained for.
    I think several of the thinkamencer's secrets will get out sooner or later,
    simply because they will get obvious.

E.g. Parson's idea to bring Bunny to the temple to talk securely.
    If you want such precautions, anybody might start to think about the reasons...

Also, how do you explain that, without spilling the secret ?
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    The narrative will be so much more interesting if it subverts our expectations by forcing us to consider that the Great Minds actually had a good point.
    Sure, although I'm not sure if we are in for a subversion. I guess they have their reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by hajo View Post
    E.g. Parson's idea to bring Bunny to the temple to talk securely.
    If you want such precautions, anybody might start to think about the reasons...
    I don't see much to explain. A thinkamancer, going to thinkamancy Temple. What is there to explain? It's about as suspicious as JoJo going back to Carnyvale.

14. - Top - End - #1274

Backer story!

So.. Rhymamancy

Spoiler
    Show

Maybe Thomas thinks the epic will fail as he doesn't have any exciting deeds to sing about?
    So he wants to avoid the blame from that?

Seems like a dysfunctional family relationship in Erfworld.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    [/SPOILER]
    Spoiler
    Show
    In other words a totally average family relationship in Erf. I swear about the only really good family relationship we have seen was between Wanda and her brother.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    In other words a totally average family relationship in Erf.
    No surprise, given that also in old Europe, wars were fought by kings that were often part of the same family.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.

17. - Top - End - #1277

How does "family" work in Erfworld, anyway? Since reproduction is by popping, what determines who is related to whom? For example, Wanda considered herself and Tommy to be the children of Overlord Firebaugh and she was clearly popped under his rule. Stanley came from a Kingdom, does that make him a child of King Saline (or the previous rulers), and then why isn't he a Noble?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    How does "family" work in Erfworld, anyway? Since reproduction is by popping, what determines who is related to whom? For example, Wanda considered herself and Tommy to be the children of Overlord Firebaugh and she was clearly popped under his rule. Stanley came from a Kingdom, does that make him a child of King Saline (or the previous rulers), and then why isn't he a Noble?
    Stanley was promoted up through the ranks, and then designated Heir. I suspect this makes him closer to an adopted son (or even a legitimized bastard) than a biological one.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-05-01 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Apparently that doesn't trip the swear filter. Go fig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    I think you're only a "child" of someone if you're the the same race/quality as the governor of the city you're popped in. If Stanley had been popped as a royal in Gobwin Knob (the city, not the side), he would be considered Saline's "son". However, we know he was popped as common and just kept getting promoted because he is freaking scary as anything less than an Overlord (and honestly, compared to the other Overlords we've seen, he's not that bad...).

I think family is a lot like signamancy in Erfworld - it's a powerful but subtle undertone of relationships rather than some generic rule of genetics (since genetics aren't a thing beyond signamancy). Or perhaps a natural form of another discipline (date-a-mancy, perhaps, if that involves relationships beyond the physical), connecting a group of characters together in a strong but platonic bond.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

20. - Top - End - #1280

There's also the fact that some units will pop as Royals, which essentially means offspring of the ruler.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    There's also the fact that some units will pop as Royals, which essentially means offspring of the ruler.
    Ah, I was thinking it was just another grade of unit quality: even better stats and growth rate than a noble, plus a few advancement options not open to nobles and commoners. Of course, I don't think any ruler would pop a royal anywhere but their own capital, which would make them family regardless.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Hooray, that "Thinkagram" mess is over.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2015-05-02 at 05:23 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Hooray, that "Thinkagram" mess is over.
    At least in RL. New update.

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Yeah, the transgression could be anything at this point. For example, what if Bunny is responsible for Don's "Bat Cam" abilities and that's a power the Great Minds don't want overlords to have? What if her skills were integral to the fall of Don King's numerous heirs, but they weren't all guilty? One was just a good enough leader that it threatened her king? What if she used her access to "certain thinkamancy bands" to listen in on and report to Don about topics that the Great Minds agreed to keep secret? What if she outright told him about the Great Minds, and some of the many conspiracies they're involved in? What if she used her abilities to "rig" battles in a way that the Great Minds find disgusting? Or betray a standing king in favor of a young and upcoming vampire with the charm of a godfather and the hair of a boxing promoter?

If Thinkamancers were allowed to operate with impunity and without guidelines, they could easily be as hated and mistrusted as Carnies. Heck, more than Carnies. The austerity of the Great Minds, the neutrality of the Magic Kingdom, the entire lot in life for entire disciplines of casters in general, all of it could be destroyed very easily by a rogue Thinkamancer with more loyalty to her leader than her kin. Maggie might well become proof of that.

A soul in love can justify many treasons, and not all of them are minor.
    I don't think it would be the Bat Cam. All TV warlords already have the ability to get information through their bats, Don simply increases the radius with thinkamancy. He doesn't get any information he wouldn't get anyway, just cuts the middle man. I think maybe Bunny explained too much about how thinkamancy works, and influenced the attempt by Prince Ponzi's to get the throne. Thinkamancy is the magic that keeps erfworld's system of rule and controlling in place. It forces units to obey orders and be loyal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ogre in the Playground

She says the king 'needs her like he needs air'. Did she cast some dependency-inducing spell on him?

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Troll in the Playground

I suspect it's not literal, he's just become so accustomed to the conveniences of Thinkamancy that he'd have no clue what to do if he lacked them.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

As always, love is a dangerous affair...
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    As always, love is a dangerous affair...
    War, somewhat less so, if the latest update is any indicator.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    War, somewhat less so, if the latest update is any indicator.

Spoiler
    Show
    So we learn his name is fitting. And he inherited the smarts and tactical genius of his mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So we learn his name is fitting. And he inherited the smarts and tactical genius of his mother.
    Spoiler
    Show
    One place Jillian is good in in a fight. Even when she is acting crazy/taking risks, she is aware of it on some level and knows she shouldn't be actin that way. I would also point out that this exercise might have been Jillian's idea. This kid though, still has a lot to learn.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's hope the training will teach him something...
    I doubt it, but who knows?
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show