Thread: The Flash on CW

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: The Flash on CW

Since I haven't watched Arrow before...

Spoiler: Ep 2
    Show
    ...has Simon Stagg, AKA Metamorpho's father-in-law, been established already?

So, typed that mid-episode. Well, okay then...
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2014-10-14 at 08:18 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: 1-2
    Show
    So i might have missed it, but does anyone know what they did with all of Multiplex's extra bodies?

Otherwise, a good episode.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    Spoiler: 1-2
    Show
    So i might have missed it, but does anyone know what they did with all of Multiplex's extra bodies?

Otherwise, a good episode.
    Huh I forgot about that, there was no real implication that they would just go away upon his death. I suppose they would just go inert upon his death, considering that they wouldn't get any more signals from the prime. I suppose it was a busy day at the morgue. (though that would implicate that metahumans wouldn't remain a secret any more, if a bunch of clones suddenly showed up at.) Maybe Star Labs just quietly removed all the extra corpses thanks to their relation with Chief West.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

What do you think they put in Barry's energy bars? Meta-human making energy infused soylent green.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grolim View Post
    What do you think they put in Barry's energy bars? Meta-human making energy infused soylent green.
    nuts, potatoes, coconut milk. High calorie/high carb, probably taste nasty as hell.

Do wonder what the exact calorie amount he'd have to consume to keep stable is though.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Soylent brown wouldn't surprise me.
    Second episode was pretty decent. I'm getting a bit tired of the teen soap opera stuff Flash and Arrow throw out but I can't really complain much about the superhero stuff. Except maybe how there are so many people who know the secret identity right off the bat now. Call me traditionalist but I would have preferred a bit fewer, even if I can understand the benefit of having an Oracle-wannabe at a computer while you're out doing stuff.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Soylent brown wouldn't surprise me.
    Second episode was pretty decent. I'm getting a bit tired of the teen soap opera stuff Flash and Arrow throw out but I can't really complain much about the superhero stuff. Except maybe how there are so many people who know the secret identity right off the bat now. Call me traditionalist but I would have preferred a bit fewer, even if I can understand the benefit of having an Oracle-wannabe at a computer while you're out doing stuff.
    *sigh* Yes! Two episodes in and I'm already bored of the pining/love triangle combo that apparently must be in every cw show. Just give dude someone else until you're ready to let them be together. Or just let him move on. It really doesn't matter to me as long as the pining stuff stops. It's already icky enough that they keep referring to her as a pseudo sister and about how he slept two doors down or whatever from her. I also agree about the secret identity stuff. Arrow had a bunch of people find out in the first season alone didn't it? I hope this doesn't become a thing on this show. I don't even get why he keeps taking his cowl off anyway in this episode.

But yeah despite that I'm really enjoying how fun and light this show is. I especially loved the opening and it poking fun at arrows's little beginning vo. And when Cisco and Barry got caught superheroing by Caitlin and tried to play it off. One thing I didn't get though was Barry saying he tried to save Danton, when he actually was just watching him fall lol. He couldn't have zipped to the outside of the building and caught him?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    nuts, potatoes, coconut milk. High calorie/high carb, probably taste nasty as hell.

Do wonder what the exact calorie amount he'd have to consume to keep stable is though.
    Oh no someone didn't - of all times for fail my Will roll...

Well, XKCD\What If? haven't covered it.

One calorie counter tool I found said that to power someone weighing ~175 running for two hours at 14 MPH (the highest the tool would go) would burn 3834 calories. An adult male should be getting about 2550 calories a day per a cursory web search. So pending me finding a way to determine more ridiculous calorie burns, I'd say it easily goes over what a person would eat in a day or three.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousX View Post
    One thing I didn't get though was Barry saying he tried to save Danton, when he actually was just watching him fall lol. He couldn't have zipped to the outside of the building and caught him?
    And get flattened by him. Second ep in so he does not have the cool powers like making a vortex to slow falling, or trying to run up and down the side of the building.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

And get flattened by him. Second ep in so he does not have the cool powers like making a vortex to slow falling, or trying to run up and down the side of the building.
    I didn't mean run down the side of the building though. I meant take the stairs and actually get there before he hits the ground and save him?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't mean run down the side of the building though. I meant take the stairs and actually get there before he hits the ground and save him?
    And then die all the same and probably break Barry's arms. From that height, falling on a pool would probably kill him.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yeah it's a sad fact that a lot of that swooping in an resucing the falling victim in comic books is severely innacurate. (As spidey himself discovered...). Falling from a tall building is typically lethal, landing on a human being instead of concrete is generally only going to add one to the death toll rather than substract from it. Flash generally only gets away with it through specialized use of his speed, like a vortex. And as of yet Barry hasn't figured much beyond move fast and stop tornadoes. (admittedly an impressive feat in of itself). I don't think he's even tried water-running yet.

Still we'll see if they ever get to some of the really crazy things they've done with super-speed. Wall and Water-running are child's play, and given the themes at play we can sort of figure time travel via speed force will enter in at some point. Wonder if they'll bring in phasing through solid objects via vibration at some point.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    And then die all the same and probably break Barry's arms. From that height, falling on a pool would probably kill him.
    What about moving his arms fast enough and yanking him back inside? There must have been something he could do besides watch the guy fall.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Yeah it's a sad fact that a lot of that swooping in an resucing the falling victim in comic books is severely innacurate. (As spidey himself discovered...). Falling from a tall building is typically lethal, landing on a human being instead of concrete is generally only going to add one to the death toll rather than substract from it. Flash generally only gets away with it through specialized use of his speed, like a vortex. And as of yet Barry hasn't figured much beyond move fast and stop tornadoes. (admittedly an impressive feat in of itself). I don't think he's even tried water-running yet.

Still we'll see if they ever get to some of the really crazy things they've done with super-speed. Wall and Water-running are child's play, and given the themes at play we can sort of figure time travel via speed force will enter in at some point. Wonder if they'll bring in phasing through solid objects via vibration at some point.
    @Bold: Too soon. Gwen Stacey was awesome!

But yeah, I didn't really apply real world stuff to my question which is why I thought he could have caught him. But I get what you're saying. I just thought he could have tried something, anything, other than watching him fall. But I can't wait to see Barry running on water and doing the phasing through objects trick. From what I remember they showed the phasing through objects trick in the 90's Flash, when he got hit by those drugs and vibrated so fast he went through the wall.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

@Bold: Too soon. Gwen Stacey was awesome!
    She's been dead since the 70s... though she was indeed awesome.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

She's been dead since the 70s... though she was indeed awesome.
    I thought you was referring to Gwen recently just dying in the Amazing Spider-man series. Which is why I had said too soon.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Colossus in the Playground

Does it bug anyone else how inconsistent the Flash's speed is? One moment he's going 350 miles an hour (kind of mild - though he admits as much), the next he can go on a monologue between heartbeats, and later still he's slow enough to be boxed in by six guys. I realize that the whole "time stands still" special effect is cool, and that if he could actually fight that fast then he would wreck every opponent he faced, but at least lip service to consistency would be nice.

And the whole Multiplex thing was also dumb - sure, a person who can spawn hundreds of clones and replace fallen soldiers with new ones would be impressive, but at first he was literally just six people and everyone was freaking out about how powerful he was.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2014-10-17 at 02:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Does it bug anyone else how inconsistent the Flash's speed is?
    Yes. It bugs me in the portrayal of just about every speedster ever. They are so fast they really should only be stopped by things they literally cannot move. Everything else they should be able to work around, even if it means running across town, picking up a sledge hammer and running back and whacking something to pieces.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Colossus in the Playground

You could conceivably have speedsters who aren't that fast. Someone who can move quickly enough to duck around punches and dodge when a gun's pointed at him but before the shooter can pull the trigger would still be a legitimate superhero, but they wouldn't be invincible by any measure.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2014-10-17 at 03:51 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    You could conceivably have speedsters who aren't that fast. Someone who can move quickly enough to duck around punches and dodge when a gun's pointed at him but before the shooter can pull the trigger would still be a legitimate superhero, but they wouldn't be invincible by any measure.
    Sure, but how often is that the case? Mostly it's a bunch of inconsistently speeded people who can move ridiculously fast except when facing people who should pose no threat, simply because the writers don't think things through. To a certain extent you just have to ignore it and carry on but it would be nice if some writers tried to think things through.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sure, but how often is that the case? Mostly it's a bunch of inconsistently speeded people who can move ridiculously fast except when facing people who should pose no threat, simply because the writers don't think things through. To a certain extent you just have to ignore it and carry on but it would be nice if some writers tried to think things through.
    It might be poor storytelling... But there is also another options with inexperienced speedsters which Berry is right now. That is they have to choose to act. Fear, confusion, being mentally stunned and all that type of stuff lock him down until he overcomes it.

The show has been very clear that Berry is not a good fighter and he needs confidence to win. So when Multiplex got him and beat him up I could see that as Berry being afraid and turtling instead of running. Which ends poorly for him. In fact during that I was yelling at the TV screen "Your faster then that get up and run." Which he did.. eventually.

It could be good if they show him growing out of the fear paralyzing him. The question is... will he? After he gets some experience? If it still happens then it could very well be poor writing

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

I don't have much to say about the show. It's pretty trite. Really reminds me of late Smallville. It's mostly harmless though and I think fills a genuine niche on television. Maybe they'll get better at writing as it goes on, I don't think I can watch this much longer if its this same cookie-cutter programming.

Honestly, they'd get serious bonus points from me if they stopped writing the Star Lab scientist/technician woman as an obnoxious exposition machine.

Yes. It bugs me in the portrayal of just about every speedster ever. They are so fast they really should only be stopped by things they literally cannot move. Everything else they should be able to work around, even if it means running across town, picking up a sledge hammer and running back and whacking something to pieces.
    He was going so fast as to be imperceptible, with him giving an entire monologue in just a few milliseconds... but he has trouble with what is just a bunch of mundane guys? At this point he should be like Quicksilver from Days of Future Past, merrily going about poking people to unconsciousness.

I don't really care about his powers, I mean, not really. It just gives me the vibe that the writers are just going to do whatever they want regardless of the sense it makes, especially as the series goes on, since it's comic books. I'd just like them to try, a little.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2014-10-18 at 04:19 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Firbolg in the Playground

Keep in mind he's been on the job for like two weeks by this point. A speedforce master he is not.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground

Simpler answer, I think, is that whatever field that allows him to grab a person trapped in a fire while going mach 2 without turning them into chunky salsa applies to the villains as well. He gets close enough, the field extends out to them, giving them the chance to strike back. The longer he stays in the immediate area, the more opportunity they have. If he just does a run by, you get the "exploding crowd" shot as they snap in out of the field too quick to take advantage. If he hangs out to try and punch them into submission, then they can punch back.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh I forgot about that, there was no real implication that they would just go away upon his death. I suppose they would just go inert upon his death, considering that they wouldn't get any more signals from the prime. I suppose it was a busy day at the morgue. (though that would implicate that metahumans wouldn't remain a secret any more, if a bunch of clones suddenly showed up at.) Maybe Star Labs just quietly removed all the extra corpses thanks to their relation with Chief West.
    Or his consciousness will transfer to one of the surviving clones so they can have a reoccurring villain. Assuming he didn't pull a last minute body swap to begin with.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't think they thought much of that scene with Iris beyond it being a "cool way for Barry to tell Iris how he feels without her hearing", and not really thinking that they've showed him moving way faster than he's been shown so far. Basically it was just for that shipping moment for those who ship Iris and Barry.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, it could explain...

Spoiler
    Show
    How they'll get rid of all the extra bodies from episode 2....
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

I'd agree it all seems a bit bland so far but I'm really liking Dr Wells as the evil mentor so I'm prepared to give it longer to find its feet after all not every series can hit the ground running
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

I just worry that they are introducing Ronnie Raymond. Firestorm would be even worse than flash for a special effect appearance. Though I liked his original run.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

I've only seen the second episode, but to me it seems alright. I'd like to join the angry mob when it comes to the Flash's secret identity discovered too soon. When it comes to the Flash from the 1990's, at least Barry is actually trying to guard his secret identity. Only a Star Labs scientist, a Private Investigator (I think), and an old vigilante learned of his secret identity. While there was one episode where everybody sees that Barry is the Flash, it was a time travel episode, so I shouldn't let that bother me too much.

I can just go on and on about how the 1990's Flash series is better compared to the 2014 Flash.

Heck, if these two got into a fight, I'd be betting my money on the Flash from the 1990's series.

In my opinion, the 2014 series is okay, but the 1990 series was the best Flash series ever.