New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Dragon Compendium's Races, Classes and PrCs

Which ones are good, which ones are bad, and why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Compendium's Races, Classes and PrCs

The Sha'ir is a tier 1 on the level of the Wizard whose only flaws are that they can't afford their familiar (and thus their SPELLS) at level one, with the added advantage of being able to enter divine classes without any problems.
    The Death Master has a very solid list, but not quite as much material - in a core-only game (with Dragon Compendium added for some reason) they're t1, elsewhere they're t2. Jester, similarly, is on par with a core bard - but their lack of support might drop 'em a tier, and Urban Druid is about equal to a core druid. (Though the idea of getting a Colossal Animated Adamantine Cube for the ridiculous hardness is at least an amusing option.)

Mountebank is godawful and at BEST an extremely low t5, with the worst capstone in the game. Savant... I can't honestly judge. Like the Sha'ir they can go into either type of casting classes, but the delayed progression, smaller spell list... Yeah, I don't even know. They're not Mountebank bad, but they're not a standout either. It's like a Factotum, but instead of 'competent at Any One Thing at a time', it's 'mediocre at everything all the time'.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The Tibbit race is pretty good for assassin characters, because the size and the shapeshifting. The Dvati is a nice class if you manage to convince your DM to use the autor's intention of the race (Actions = Full + X action.)

I love the Force Missile Mage, too. It's a good prestige if you do want to make your sorcerer into a machine gun of 1d4+1s.

And the Heads Up! feat is just hilarious.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UrashimaJamez View Post
    The Tibbit race is pretty good for assassin characters, because the size and the shapeshifting.
    Also natural attackers. I mention it every time it comes up, but I love CE Tibbit Soulborn 2/Stoneblessed 3/Goliath sub Barbarian 1, followed by some combination of Totemist, Warshaper, and Totem Rager. Giant kitty! They're nice psionicists too, since they don't have to worry about components that way.

Lupins and Diaboli are underwhelming.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

Savant is T4 - can do a lot, but mediocre at all of it. You can do an iaijutsu build with them like with Factotum though.
    Battle Dancer is also T4.
    Urban Druid, despite the more limited list is still T1. They get some nice spells normal druids don't, like Animate Objects.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Some of my favorites have already been mentioned, but I'll throw a few in.

First: No love for Battle Dancer? It was the "Swordsage is the new Monk" before Swordsage was the new Monk. AC bonus, unarmed damage, lots of nifty maneuverability tricks. Chaotic Alignment, for all the people who want to play Monk but hate pretending to be Lawful. Works absurdly well with a Clawlock build.

Second: Pebble Underfoot! Yes, Races of the Wild gave us Underfoot Combat and Confound the Big Folk, but we can't forget that Dragon Compendium gave us a feat that offsets the size penalty on trip attacks! Great for Tibbits.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think BD is quite T4. I like it for a few reasons, but I think my last reading left me unimpressed. Then again, Monk might be just THAT bad. I'll get back to you, [trixie]my enthusiastic little admirers.[/trixie]

Dvati are fun for a few tricks. Bloodline feats are good for picking up more spells. There's a feat for dex to damage on ranged weapons called Dead Eye that doesn't specify ranged attack. Thrown weapons are ranged weapons.

EDIT: When I become a Titan? Does this mean I have to use a Gargantuan two-handed warhammer?
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-10-05 at 09:20 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

8. - Top - End - #8

I don't think BD is quite T4. I like it for a few reasons, but I think my last reading left me unimpressed. Then again, Monk might be just THAT bad. I'll get back to you, [trixie]my enthusiastic little admirers.[/trixie]
    I agree actually, they're pretty close to T5. But they do get full BAB and innate flight (very late, but still.) So I gave them the edge over monk for that reason.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Diopsids are somewhat interesting for their ability to wield two-handed weapons in "one" hand (they have four arms) and still get the full benefits of wielding them two-handed--including getting an extra attack with double weapons. "Yo dawg, I heard you like two-weapon fighting, so I put two weapons in your two weapons so you can two-weapon fight while you two-weapon fight."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

No one mentioned the Death Master yet? Cool necromantic abilities, undead minion, turn into a Lich as the capstone. Requires you to be evil and worship Orcus, but still, its fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    No one mentioned the Death Master yet? Cool necromantic abilities, undead minion, turn into a Lich as the capstone. Requires you to be evil and worship Orcus, but still, its fun.
    They were already mentioned, but only in passing. I love them, personally. Here's why:

• They get Animate Dead as a second-level spell
    • Most of the core wizard/sorcerer spells are on their list, except for some of the big direct-damage bombs
    • Lots of nice BFC gems: Evard's Black Tentacles, Cloudkill, Creeping Doom
    • They get Animate Dead as a second-level spell
    • You get to become a Lich for free without sitting through 20 levels of Dread Necromancer
    • Undead minions are definitely cooler than having a familiar
    • THEY GET ANIMATE DEAD AS A SECOND-LEVEL SPELL

If I ever want to play a necromancer and evil characters are accepted, I'm going to play a Death Master. Did I mention that they get Animate Dead as a second-level spell?

That means that I can have Animated undead from first level through Precocious Apprentice.

ETA: the Undead Minion is pretty great too. Wyvern Zombie means you have a way of attaining (Ex) flight without the DM giving you a flying creature's corpse. And the class feature also lets you pick up a Wight without having to rely on the DM letting you have one. In addition, your control over the main wight (which gains bonus HD, Str/Dex increases, and other abilities) can't be dispelled or suppressed (unless there's some way to suppress a familiar's link with its master), so you have unflagging control over it (and thus over its spawn as well).

ETA2: There's also the fact that the Death Master is an arcane full caster with average BAB and a d8 hit die, plus by using a vial of blood as a material component they can ignore ASF for their armor. Combine that with the fact that Dragon Compendium mentions that you can make blood last longer by casting Gentle Repose, and you have enough combat ability to not always need someone protecting you while you lay down the Acid Fog.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2014-10-05 at 11:40 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Also natural attackers. I mention it every time it comes up, but I love CE Tibbit Soulborn 2/Stoneblessed 3/Goliath sub Barbarian 1, followed by some combination of Totemist, Warshaper, and Totem Rager. Giant kitty! They're nice psionicists too, since they don't have to worry about components that way.

Lupins and Diaboli are underwhelming.
    I'm a fan of CE Tibbit Soulborn 2-4/Binder 10 binding Zagan so you can grapple as if large regardless of your actual size. Now you can be the kitty that sits on people so that they can't get up. Shame the chaotic alignment prevents entry to Knight of the Sacred Seal.

Lupins are alright. They're LA+0 monstrous humanoids which isn't all that common and always having Ride as a class skill is potentially useful in some corner case builds.

And yeah, Sha'ir and Death Master are pretty cool. Both can be really handy for certain builds what with Sha'ir qualifying for divine stuff and Death Master giving you some key spells early and medium BAB on a full caster for access to certain Gish PrCs that are tough for Wizards.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    I'm a fan of CE Tibbit Soulborn 2-4/Binder 10 binding Zagan so you can grapple as if large regardless of your actual size. Now you can be the kitty that sits on people so that they can't get up. Shame the chaotic alignment prevents entry to Knight of the Sacred Seal.
    Why Soulborn? That confuses me.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Why Soulborn? That confuses me.
    CE Soulborn is immune to Str damage, drain or penalties of any kind. This unique ability comes up in some optimization circles.

With Tibbit in particular, it allows you to maintain your full strength score even while you are a Tiny housecat.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Battle Dancer is worse than Monk and based off a worse stat, and the only real noteworthy things come way way waaaaay beyond the point you'd have dropped out of either it or Monk. Full BAB is nice, but hardly enough to make a class good. And if you're in a game using DCv.1, you probably have access to a lot of other splats that buff monk ever so slightly with stuff like Invisible Fist, Darkmoon Disciple, Decisive Strike, etc... Definite Tier 5. Low tier 5.

Sha'ir is as overpowered as advertised.

16. - Top - End - #16

Eh, I dunno... 11th level seems a reasonable time to get pounce to me. 6th level would be better of course, but there's at least still plenty of the game to go.

Also, they can TWF with their unarmed strike, unlike a monk.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    In addition, your control over the main wight (which gains bonus HD, Str/Dex increases, and other abilities) can't be dispelled or suppressed (unless there's some way to suppress a familiar's link with its master), so you have unflagging control over it (and thus over its spawn as well).
    the closest thing that exists is blighter's "unbond" ability. while it does specify animal/magical beast, it's possible a GM could genralize it. other than that, there's nothing.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bloodline feats are good for picking up more spells.
    I'm glad somebody already mentioned these. They are pure gold for Sorcerers! One feat that gets me an extra spell known at every spell level? And there are so many to choose from that you're bound to find one that fits the theme or combat strategy that you're going for.

I simply wouldn't EVER play a Sorcerer without one of these!
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.