New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 2

Chapter 2: “Questions, questions, and they only lead to more questions.”

Highgate: the city that stands between the barbaric orc, gnoll, and kobold clans of the north and the civilized Imperial lands to the south. A brave band of soldiers patrol the lands around the city, battling small force incursions. Ten days ago, twelve set out to take up the mantle of the Defenders of Highgate when their predecessors went missing. One fell, but was replaced with an elf ranger liberated from an orc raiding party. Then she fell, along with two more. We find the Defenders now, having just tended to their dead and accepted a new member.

As it stands now, they are aware of a friendly elf in the wood to the south and east, an angry rat that dwells under their very feet and seems to command a troop of wererats and dire rats, and a clan of orcs utilizing a nearby mountain pass. The Defenders have two clear goals, but the paths to the completion of their missions are murky at best. Where is the Comm? Does the rat have it? Or perhaps the orc clan? Or could it simply be lost or amongst the bones of some creature’s den? Who is this ‘Astryn’ that supposedly leads the orc clan? How does a human end up as chief of an orc clan? What sort of man would want that job, anyway? And why did he think the Defenders were no more? What happened to the Defenders that they needed to be wholly replaced? Why were they only reinforced with one, instead of the three that would fill out the unit? What was that dragon doing there? What does Deladus’ dream mean? Was it the same as Ulrick’s? What would that signify? The questions just go on and on...

---

With the funeral and burial completed, everyone but Sarrok and Carter return to the camp. Elisathalan and Deladus set to the task of repairing the broken furniture while Hertz stands watch. Kruhljak, Ziran, Beregond, and Nalik set to the discussion of where to place the traps. The actual placement of the traps will take very little time, perhaps 10 minutes for all eight. Oliana begins scribing her scrolls.

Sarrok and Carter

The small orc encampment has signs of having been picked over by wild animals, but is otherwise as it was left. The smell coming from the large stewpot is disgusting and the dog won’t go near it. After spending roughly an hour going over the whole area carefully, there seems to be nothing else of note here.
    Last edited by dauphinous; 2007-03-15 at 06:37 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 2

Kruhljak Wynde

With the discussion of perimeter defenses in full swing, Kruhljak tosses his ideas into the mix.

"We have four inroads to the cave, and enough traps to create a fair obstacle if needed. If we assume that any intruder with intent to harm us, as opposed to a random animal, will likely keep to the rock faces for cover, we have no need to set traps in the center of each path. For our benefit, that would allow us to easily circumvent them as we go about our normal routines."

As he speaks, he points out the general directions for emphasis, and traces lines on his hand to illustrate his suggestions regarding trap placement.

"Further, we might consider building some simple fence barriers to close off that narrow northern gap and possibly others as needed. There is likely to be some variance in opinion with regard to putting up permanent barriers, so I further suggest we build any such things in pieces which can be put into place and removed easily for those times when we decide to leave the cave entirely. It will provide us some added protection while here, and not be obvious while we're gone. Though we will still need to consider how to hide this gaping hole while away, else it makes no sense to bother hiding our presence at all."

He takes a moment to scan the area, stepping away and here and there to gain a better vantage point toward the gaps between rock formations.

When he steps back, he adds, "Of course, there are enemies that can fly or otherwise scale such simple fences--and even the rocks themselves--so I would further suggest we invest in guard dogs. What to do with them when we decide to leave on a mission, is to be considered, though. But I daresay some of us would make as much noise as a barking dog simply by walking down a path, so perhaps it doesn't matter--we could take them along."

Apparently having decided to leave his concepts rudimentary to allow for input, he relaxes a bit and awaits the inevitable comments.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Now fully awake and having had time to think a little during the walk out to the orc encampment turns to Sarrok and asks, "I may have missed this while I was sleeping, but how did Highgate command learn of our situation? I mean, they poof into the camp with orders for Cpl. Nalik, a replacement team member, and a greaving mother. How did they find out Kylin and Mira had died?"

Carter looks around the camp some more and after smelling the stewpot continues his discussion, "Are we being watched somehow or did Highgate command have something to do with the deaths?"
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

4. - Top - End - #4

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik listens to Kruhljack lay out his idea for fortifying the cave.

That sounds like a good plan. I think we will need a great deal of wood to make that possible. We can check with Elis to see if he thinks we will have trouble with the druid.
    ELISATHALAN!
    Kruhljack has a plan for setting up some defenses around this camp. I want you to listen to them and let us know if we will have opposition to harvesting resources.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elis

Elis jumps up a good deal faster than he himself would have expected. His face is full of trepidation as he looks in the direction of the voice. Nalik, had, after all, used his full given name. Then he composes himself and goes to meet Nalik.

"Yes, sir?" he says, then looks to Kruhljak, all attention.
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Beregond

"Like me, you mean?" he asks Kruhljack as he mentions people moving and making as much noise as dogs, after all he was wearing a banded mail. And that one wasn't silent at all. His voice sounds friendly, he's smirking a bit, he obviously doesn't feel offended or the like. He just wanted to say something, but in this moment they were interrupted my Nalik and him calling Elis, so he stays silent.
    The only way of properly dealing with me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanil View Post
    I'm just going to increase the CR of every encounter by one for every terrible pun.
    Thanks Ceika for this great avatar!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sarrok Balderk

"Cater I have to say that is a good question." He stops for a moment to think. " I see no reason for them to send some to spy on us when they could easly approach us, Perhaps it is a trick of magic" He shifts position in his saddle. "There is no reason to dwell on what we do not understand."

8. - Top - End - #8

Planetar

Nalik
    Nalik waits for Kruhljack to retell his plan to Elis, once completed;
    You are more in touch with the trees. Do you think you or that druid will have a problem with us harvesting material for this? We are probably going to do it anyway, I just want to know if we are going to have a problem.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Deladus

At the moment oblivious to the planning of the others, Deladus continues working on the piles of shrapnel that used to be comfortable beds, hoping to get those in some shape for use first. After all, a seat can only be sat on, a table can only be eaten at, but a bed can do all the above, plus be slept on.

10. - Top - End - #10

Ziran Blueboots

Ziran, seeing in Beregond a potential fellow joker, says "Oh, no, my friend. You have your work cut out for you if you want to even come close to catching up in the 'making totally extraneous loud disturbances while in camp' rankings we've got going.'"

After having said that though, he settles down to get ready to help with whatever traps or walls are being set up first.

11. - Top - End - #11

Kruhljak Wynde

Beregond says, "Like me, you mean?"

"You and Carter, in particular, but myself, Nalik and Deladus, as well. We all announce our arrival a bit too early in some cases."

Nalik says to Elis, "You are more in touch with the trees. Do you think you or that druid will have a problem with us harvesting material for this? We are probably going to do it anyway, I just want to know if we are going to have a problem."

Before Elis can reply, Kruhljak adds by way of reinforcement of the basic idea, "In fact, do you think the druid might be willing to direct us to trees that would be most suitable and not in areas where bringing them down would cause collateral damage to animals or habitats? Fires replenish and invigorate forests naturally, but culling trees in denser sections also helps limit the spread, so in that light, I don't see that he should be entirely averse to some conscientious logging on a small scale, and for an arguably good cause."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elis

Elis considers all of this in silence for a moment, then says the last thing Kruhljak probably expects: "Kruhljak is right. I was about to advise trying to find trees which are already dead and to strongly advise against cutting any oaks, but asking Leislyrin directly would be the best course. I believe he would allow what we are likely to do even without explicit permission, but the polite course is usually best."
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

13. - Top - End - #13

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik stops and thinks for a moment.
    Why don't the four of you go and find this druid. Elis you can approach him and raise the subject, Kruhljack can explain exactly what kinds of trees we are looking for.
    While you are there, he has some information that I want.

I want to know what he knows about The Brain. How many rat colonies are around here? How extensive is their lair. What does he know about their dealings with the previous Defenders.

I want to know about his dealings, and relationship with the previous defenders.

I want to know if he knows anything about this orc clan, and specifically about Astryn.

You can take the cart and whiteboots. There is a wood ax in the back, if you have time you can start harvesting materials today.

Spoiler
    Show
    Time check?

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Seeing the wisdom in Sarrok's words, he says, "You are right. However they were able to know, they knew. Hopefully, should worse come to worse, they will know when our new leader is in trouble and come to help."

After an hour of searching the camp, Carter says, "I don't really see anything of note here. Why don't we continue up the river as ordered."

After a couple steps and the resultant noise, Carter says, "Hold up Sarrok, can you give me a hand removing my armor?" Carter will stows his armor in his backpack and wraps it in a blanket to muffle it as best he can. He then ties up his flail and switches to trident and shield in the hopes of being a little more stealthy.

{{ AC 11 }}

Taking another step and snapping a twig, Carter says, "Why don't you walk in front by at least 30 feet just in case. Take it slow, we can rush on the way back to camp to make up time, if we need to. And... maybe you'll see any foes before we get seen."
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The early afternoon sun is warm and pleasant as Carter and Sarrok make their way up the river. Buzzing cicadas and chirping birds lend an idyllic feel to the land, making it difficult to believe the danger that you know is all to present. Their progress can be noted from the camp, as the mounted gnome is easily visible. Carefully watching for any more signs of the fallen Defenders, they move slowly upriver. About an hour after leaving the small forest, the land begins to be dotted by rocky patches. Carter notes something in an odd shade of green in his peripheral vision off to the left, away from the river.
    Last edited by dauphinous; 2007-03-16 at 02:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak nods to Elis. "True. Deadfall will work just as well for our purposes so long as it isn't entirely dessicated or wormeaten."

Then to Nalik's instructions, he nods again, remaining in the prevailing informality of their unit. "I'll get things under way."

Moving into the cave to collect his pack and flail, he exits headed toward the grazing area to collect Whiteboots and hitch him to the cart. He then leads the pony to Cinnamon and mounts up, still holding Whiteboots' reins, and leads the cart back to the others.

"Which of you will be driving the cart or leading the pony, whichever suits you?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to interject as needed. I'll amend my post to suit.
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-03-16 at 05:43 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok simles "Of coarse." He slides Ulfgard and assists Carter with his armor.

He rides silenty along river trying not to break his concentration

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elis

"I think I had better stay standing, whatever I do. I can lead Whiteboots by the halter, if that will suffice."
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

19. - Top - End - #19

Ziran Blueboots

With Elis leading the cart, Ziran loads and readies his crossbow, mounts up, and prepares to head out alongside the cart. He is all too aware of the number of different enemies that might attack, so he suggests "If we are attacked, I'll try to hold the area around the cart and drop the first few ranks of enemies when they charge. Unless they've got archers or something." His tone is a little grimmer than is usual for him, though the idea of defending a cart brings a little glimmer of humor to his eyes.

20. - Top - End - #20

Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak tosses the reins to Elis, saying, "As you see fit," and nods to Ziran as he sets out his plans.

He looks around for Beregond, finding him standing off a couple dozen paces by the cave mouth. "Beregond! Mount up and let's get a move on. Take the cart's left flank opposite Ziran; I'll ride point. We shouldn't need a rear guard for this, but you three should spare a frequent glance behind just in case."

He turns again to Elis to ask, "Are you certain you wouldn't rather drive than walk? It may speed things along." He didn't follow through with the 'and might provide a more pleasant view' part.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elis

Elis takes the reins and replies,"I'm quite sure. I'm accustomed to more sleep and less tumult, so the last day and a half has done more to test my limits than anything else I've ever faced. That last bit of rest did wonders for me, but I am still afraid I might fall asleep again if I allowed myself the luxury of driving this cart. And if there are archers, Ziran, we have one of our own. Answering arrow for arrow should be no difficulty."
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

22. - Top - End - #22

Oliana

Oliana blocks out the chatter and works at her scroll work during the light of the day.
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

23. - Top - End - #23

Hertz

Hertz stands guard on the rock until Deladus comes to switch with him. He did not mind the position at all, it gave him time to think. As long as he didn't fall into deep reflection, he'd do just fine.

24. - Top - End - #24

Planetar

Nalik

As the 4 "scouts" head off to search for the druid, Nalik begins to pace about the entrance to the cave. He had now sent out 6 persons into danger. After a few minutes of futility, he enters the cave to assist Deladus (or Hertz) repair beds.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Ziran Blueboots

Ziran replies to Ellis, with a twinkle in his eye: "Ah, I have no doubt that seeing which side can get shot the most times with arrows would be funny. How about you play that game fair and square, each side taking its turn shooting, and one of us goes ahead and cheats for you as soon as possible. Then, you get to play your game, and I get to play a much less sporting game where I see how many hapless foes want to walk into a single blast of twisting colors. Twice the amusement, none of the casualties. Well, on our side at least."

That said, he takes up his proper position and resumes his watchful guard as the group heads out.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Upon noticing something, Carter begins walking a little slower while intensely focusing his gaze in the direction of the object. After a couple of moments, Carter harsely whispers, "Psst, hold up, check this out. Looks like a bundle of green cloth."

Once Sarrok stops and turns around, Carter will motion with his hand off to the left and try to use hand signals to indicate distance and direction.

Carter slowly turns all the way around to scan the surroundings to make sure this isn't an ambush and then slowly and carefully approaches making sure there are no traps set in the grass between his position and the cloth.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter & Sarrok

Not seeing anything else nearby, Carter crouches down and begins moving slowly towards the thing he saw, checking the ground carefully as he goes. He reaches the object without issue and finds it to be a portion of a suit of green-dyed leather armor lying in a heap. Which part it might be exactly is difficult to tell without picking it up, or at least straightening it out. It has several rips edged with dark stains.

{Int checks from both of you once you see it.}

Elisathalan, Ziran, Kruhljak, Beregond

You reach the edge of the forest and plunge in, scanning for enemies while also checking the nearby trees and deadfall for size and suitability. There is no sign of Leislyrin.

{Search or Survival checks for the type of wood you are looking for.}

Hertz, Nalik, Deladus, Oliana

Hertz can see that Carter stopped and tracked off to the side, but loses sight of him. Nalik and Deladus together have been able to get another bed in working order so far. Oliana has an hour in on her scrollmaking.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elis

Elis tries to find trees which are not oaks, but cannot manage to distinguish between the varieties.

{{I rolled a 1 on my survival check}}
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Once close to the bundle, Carter glances over at Sarrok and says, "Say, doesn't that look like Allianne's armor?"

Carter uses the tip of his trident to flip the item over, nudge it, etc before leaning over to touch it himself. Once in hand, Carter examines it closely attempting to discover how to came to be here. Was it ripped off? Did it snag on something?

How does the grass look underneath? Discolored and wilted like its been covered up for several days? Any way to tell how long this has been here?

Maybe I should do something distinctive to my armor so I can leave parts of it behind as a trail if I get captured.

30. - Top - End - #30

Deladus

Satisfied with getting a single bed working at the moment, Deladus stands up, thanks Nalik, and heads outside. Once he finds Hertz, he says, "We managed to get one bed back into a single piece. We can probably do for a few more, if you want to go do that. I'll take the watch now."