New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 2

Carter

Smelling the food, Carter invokes his inate track by scent ability and finds the food. Mumbling to himself, "Don't skip a meal, you never know when your next one will be."

As Carter eats, while sitting on the floor, he asks, "So what are we building outside? Some sort of motte and bailey?"
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Nalik

[ooc I am hoping that at some point Carter or Sarrok tell us about Alienne. But I am going to move on]

As they all gather to eat, Nalik asks for Thors blessing on the food. ANd then proceeds to eat. Towards the end he addresses the group.

In the City, you often see groups of musicians performing together. They are each playing their own part, but they are all aware of how it works with the whole. Whenever the group becomes more than 4 or 5, there is usually one person directing the others.

We are a bit like one of these performing groups. We all have our skills, and we all will benefit the group in our own way. But until now we have been acting as solo performers. Highgate command has determined that I will be directing this particular group. Over the next few days, I will try and determine what each of us has to offer, and build upon our strengths.

As of now, I believe we have had a number of somber and trying days. Elis how about a song to lighten our spirits.

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elis

"With pleasure, ai'atar," Elis replies, and goes to get his lyre. When he comes back, there is sweat standing out on his forehead and his pupils are dilated. He sits down and closes his eyes against the fire, which is suddenly far too bright. He looks flushed. He begins to play, but his fingers lack their usual quickness. The song - something quick and joyous - is still good, but not more than passable by the bard's own high standards. As the song progresses, he begins to shiver more noticeably. Then, at last, his fingers fail him and he hits three sour notes in quick succession. He stops. "My apologies to you all. I feel rather poorly all of a sudden."

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking ten on the first perform check, deliberately botching the second
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hertz

A frown creeps on Hertz' faces quite quickly, and it only grows worse when Elis hits three wrong notes in succession. He wasn't a professional in songs and such, but he knew enough to tell something was up with Elis even before that. "Sit down, lad. You don't seem in any mood to play." With a look at Nalik and a half-smile, he adds in a low voice "It's not my cooking."
    Last edited by Annalia; 2007-03-29 at 08:21 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

After Elisathalan finishes his song Carter stands and goes over to maintain his gear. Clean off his weapons and check for damage to his armor. After getting absorbed in the work Carter realizes something...

Having forget that the whole group hasn't been together the whole time...

Carter approaches Nalik and says, "When the four of us... Sarrok, Kylin, Brineal, and I were originally recruited into Defenders, and after we completed basic training, we were introduced to three people. Torian, a old dwarf was one. Arrinistyll, who was to be the squad leader was the second. The third was Allianne. She seemed human, fairly old, perhaps mid 30s. She seemed an archer and she had a strong healthy handshake."

After rubbing his head and cracking his neck, Carter adds, "I think that was the only time I met her. I don't really even know if she was supposed to be in the squad or if she was Arrinistyll's commander or what. I'm afraid I was bit overwhelmed with meeting new people at the time. Sorry."

Looking to the scrap of armor... Carter adds, "I'm afraid something may have happened to her. We didn't see signs of battle, but given the number of artifacts we found in that area, I would have to guess some sort of battle happened. Chainmail doesn't just blow in the wind."

Carter looks at Nalik and raises an eyebrow as if to say, 'Well, what do you think?'
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

6. - Top - End - #96

Deladus

Eventually having smelled the food and the conversation drifting from the cave, Deladus takes a good look around, then quickly ducks into the cave and closes the door behind him.

Quietly, and with a mind full of thoughts, he gratefully takes a portion of the meal. While eating it, he quietly listens to Carter's recap from across the room.

7. - Top - End - #97

Oliana

Oliana sets down her empty bowl, and moves over to Elis. "Are you okay? Maybe you should lie down." Oliana will help Elis to one of the fixed beds and try to determine what ails him.

"Nalik? Beregond? I think one of you should also take a look at Elis."

Spoiler
    Show

Take 10 on heal (15) to determine what's wrong with Elis.
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elis

Elis responds to Hertz's suggestion by sitting down and hugging the lyre to his chest. When Oliana offers her help, his face brightens noticeably. He responds in Elven, "No, I don't think I am." Then he accepts her help in getting to a bed. Once he is lying down he looks up at her and says, "Thank you."

Then he looks at the group of Men and Little Folk around the fire and says a bit glumly to Oliana, "At least one of us has enough sense to stay out of trouble."

Spoiler
    Show
    If 15 beats the DC for diagnosis:
    The rat-bites he suffered yesterday look like they're inflamed and infected.
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

9. - Top - End - #99

Planetar

Nalik

Carter begins to inform Nalik about the previous defenders, just as Elis begins to show signs of taking ill. Torn between hearing the report and responding to their ailing member, he chooses to let the new guy show his mettle.
    Beragond, see what you can make of that.

He then turns back to Carter,
    I am sorry, continue.

He listens attentively as Carter finishes his tale.
    Ok, people Carter thinks we have a lead on the position of some of the old Defenders. I am going to assume that they had the comm device. Everyone finish up any tasks and lets get to sleep early tonight. We head oot at dawn. The watch order will be Ziran, Kruhljack, Nalik, Deladus, Hertz.

Thank you Carter.

Having finished with Carter, Nalik moves over to where Beragond and Oliana are attending to Elis.
    What seems to be the problem. I didn't think Hertz cooking was that bad.
    Last edited by anIceFan; 2007-03-30 at 11:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100

Oliana

Oliana will point out the wounds to Beragond.

"He has some severe looking wounds here from the rats. I've seen this before. It's Flith Fever and will take at least the night of tended bed rest to recover. He may not be at full health in the morning even so."

When Nalik joins them she will provide him with a summary and include, "I would volunteer a shift tending to him this night, but I still not fully recovered from my injuries."

{OOC: By injuries I mean the strength drain and not any HP damage.}

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elis

After Oliana explains her own need for rest, Elis thinks, So much for that idea. There is a look of vague disappointment in his eyes.

As he hears the order of watch set and their orders for tomorrow being given, Elis tries to relax and put himself to sleep. They might need him and certainly couldn't afford to leave anyone behind to tend him. He begins to strum the lyre absently, choosing a much simpler tune than the one he was playing earlier. Another old lullaby, played in a minor key.
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

12. - Top - End - #102

Hertz

"Nalik, if you desire to tend him longer tonight, I can take your watch shift tonight. I don't mind, and I should be alright if I get some sleep immediately. Would also be better if you switched the order so that my entire watch is done in a row." Hertz adds. He seems to want the shift rather badly: it made him feel useful in some way, even if it wasn't battle. Hertz was also starting to realise that every night people need to be tended to, and that one more with the skills to do so wouldn't be a bad idea. I should ask Nalik to teach me a bit when he has time...

13. - Top - End - #103

Ziran Blueboots

Ziran says "Some of the rest of us, and our mounts, got bitten too. Probably not by the same rat, but its likely enough that the rats would give each other the disease easily enough, to pass it on to us."

"Also, since I'll be on first watch, do we have a good way of waking everone up in a hurry if I see a bunch of things invading us? I was thinking a rope leading down from the lookout post, to a pile of firewood or something, so I could pull the rope to make a noise to wake everyone up, and then get started on an illusion right away instead of having to climb down in a hurry. Does that sound like a good idea? Or has someone already put something like that in place?"

14. - Top - End - #104

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik listens to Oliana's assessment of Elis's condition. He then takes a look at the bites himself.
    Thank you Oliana, I want you to be at full strength tomorrow. I am sure you are tired of bed rest now, but it is only for a little longer. As for you Elis, it doesn't look like you are too bad off. You might not be that comfortable tomorrow, but you will certainly be making the trip.

This last bit is said in a much sterner tone.
    Is there anyone else who forgot to mention that they had been bit by rats.

Hertz, yes that is an excellent Idea. The new watch order will be Ziran, Kruhljack, Deladus and Hertz. If you can all extend your shifts a little so that it is not all on Hertz, I would appreciate that.

Ziran, I don't believe anyone has developed an early warning system of that sort. Why don't you and the other watchers see what you can put together for tonight.

Spoiler
    Show
    take 10 for an 18 on heal or Elis and Oliana
    Last edited by anIceFan; 2007-03-30 at 07:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105

Deladus

Blinking, then smirking, at the rapid chnge of watch orders, Deladus simply decides to salute with a joking grin. Quickly, he walked to the bed he reconstructed, set his armor and gear aside, before going to sleep.

Spoiler
    Show

Sleeping until his watch.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

The night passes quietly. Just as the pre-dawn light begins to brighten the sky, Hertz notes a small brown bird that flies up and lands almost directly next to him without fear. It seems to have something tied around its leg.

17. - Top - End - #107

Kruhljak Wynde

...at dinner...

Oliana offers her help with the fence-building, to which Kruhljak replies, "Certainly; the more hands at work, the faster, and likely, better the results. It shouldn't take long, in any event."

Soon after, Carter inquires as to whether the plan is a motte-and-bailey affair.

Kruhljak chuckles knowingly, and says, "I suppose you could look at it that way. If we consider this big rock we're living in to be a motte and a watchman at the top to be sitting in his own little castle, then I'd say the grounds near the cave could qualify as a bailey. Then again, I don't think Nalik is keen on the idea of hemming us in, just yet. For now, just a few cutoffs to slow down any intruders that might think to come through one of those narrower points. Given the simplicity of the job and abundance of materials, even a little extra obstacle in our favor is worthwhile."

...at dawn...

The tousled sandy-blonde head of Kruhljak lies quietly upon his rather too-firm pillow, perhaps dreaming of having seen something on an ultimately pointless watch the previous evening. Better to dream in bed than on the rock, though.

18. - Top - End - #108

Hertz

Hertz watches the bird come with a frown, but doesn't ring the alarm just yet. It was a single bird, and there was nothing else around. The frown deepens when he sees the bird is carrying something. Hertz crouches and slowly approaches his hand to take the object off. I have a tendency to deal with birds when on watch... It better turn out better this time. He examines what the bird brought carefully.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elis

Evening . . .

Elis nods in acknowledgement of Nalik's words. "I expected nothing else, ai'atar."

Then, he rests.

Morning . . .

Elis awakens feeling somewhat more healthy and spends his period of morning concentration sitting on the bed, singing to himself. He feels the essense of the music return to him and rises, smiling and whistling to himself.

He goes to check on Oliana. "How did you sleep," he asks, in Elven.

{{Upon DM correction: DEX damage is healed, CON damage healed by 2}}
    Last edited by ampcptlogic; 2007-04-01 at 10:15 AM.
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

20. - Top - End - #110

Ziran Blueboots

Ziran wakes up, looks outside for a bit, and then says brightly to anyone listening "A wonderful morning to you all, and a wonderful morning it is. This is almost restful - nothing attacked us for all yesterday. Does this mean we get to take the war to the rats now?"

21. - Top - End - #111

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik wakes at dawns first light from an odd and fitful night of sleep. While everyone else is still asleep, he sits on his bed in thought. As the others begin to rise, he asks Carter to prepare the group to move out. Those who take notice would find that the Dwarf is somewhat distracted, not even checking on his charges until they are just about to leave.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

Oliana

Waking after a good nights sleep, Oliana feels well improved. When she first rises, she intends to check on Elis, who apparently is intent to check on her. "I'm much better. All better in fact. How are you feeling? I should check your wounds again."

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 on checking his wounds. For 15.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elis

He smiles. "I'm glad you're feeling better. I feel much improved. Still weak, somehow, but as nimble-fingered as ever. Be as thorough as you please."

Avvie by Mr_Saturn

24. - Top - End - #114

Hertz

Seeing the encampment awaken as he scans the letter attached to the bird's leg, Hertz decides to come down and find Nalik. "Sir, a bird just brought a letter for Beregond." He hands the small letter to the dwarf. "Do I go back up there?"
    Last edited by Annalia; 2007-04-01 at 04:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Deladus

Eventually rousing from his sleeping, Deladus looks around the small cavern to see who is awake already. Noticing the two half-elves, he snickers to himself before watching Hertz entering the cave and talking to their leader. Deciding to wait for some sort of announcement at the moment, Deladus gets ready for the day, donning his armor and strapping his weapon to his waist.

Once this is done, he'll walk over towards Nalik and Hertz to see what the fuss is about, greeting them with a casual, "Good morning, Hertz, Sir."

26. - Top - End - #116

Kruhljak Wynde

It's been several days since Kruhljak has awakened feeling in tip-top condition. The vile blood of the belladonna has finally been filtered away, and the fighting man's most obvious asset returns to full force.

He rises, clapping his hands together to initiate a simple calisthenic as he strides directly out into the morning's growing light. The forming cluster of his fellows is ignored, though he wonders about the presence of the bird. If it were anything of importance to him, he was sure someone would find him outside easily enough.

A deep breath of cool, crisp air taken, he begins an aggressive ritual of muscle warming via several minutes of leaping gaps between marks in the dirt followed by climbing and descending the watch rock a number of times. The sheen of sweat across his body indicates he'd be including a short swim before breakfast, if at all possible, and not just on his own behalf.

As his routine draws to a close, he sends himself to the grazing area to groom Cinnamon.

27. - Top - End - #117

Planetar

Nalik

Lost in his own thoughts, Nalik barely pays attention to what Hertz is saying, as he takes the note. The question about returning to the lookout does make it into his brain though, and as Deladus offers his greeting he responds to both,
    Good morning Deladus, Hertz, there is no need to head back out to watch. We will be leaving shortly. Go ahead and prepare yourself, it looks to be a long day.
    Nalik can not help but have a small smile on his face. Without thinking, he opens the note and begins reading. The smile diminishes greatly as he reads the firs couple of lines and realizes his mistake. He makes his way over to Beregond and wakes him.
    With apologies, I began to read this note before I realized that it was addressed to you.
    Nalik will wait until Beregond finishes reading the note.

Once done with Beregond, Nalik will head back to his bunk to offer his daily prayers to Thor. Anyone who notices might find that Naliks' face is a bit more euphoric as he offers his devotions.

Once done, he will expect Carter to have gotten the troops ready.,
    Last edited by anIceFan; 2007-04-02 at 12:37 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Beregond takes the note and reads it. His face goes a little pale and is drawn into a frown. He looks back at Nalik. "I'm sorry, Sir. I know you need the help here. Good luck." He gathers his gear and nods to anyone he passes on the way out of the cave, then mounts up and turns his horse towards Highgate. He spurs the horse into a gallop and disappears into the forest.

As Kruhljak tends Cinnamon, Kylin's horse (as yet unnamed) clops over and whickers entreatingly, whuffing his shoulder.

29. - Top - End - #119

Hertz

"Morning Deladus." Hertz replies with a smile. After listening to Nalik, he heads to his bunk and pack only a few things. He didn't have much anyway and he was done after a couple of minutes. Using what time he had left, Hertz headed to the food stocks and prepared the supplied they'd need if they were to sleep outside camp.

30. - Top - End - #120

Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok sits up in bed more a few minutes that moring before leaving the cave. As he leaves Sarrok nudges Ulfgard with a foot to wake him. Ulgard wakes and trots after him.

Sarrok simles when he exits the cave and smells the fresh air. Silently he went about saddleing the dog and filling the saddle bags with the last of the raw meat.