New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 2

Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak pats Kylin's, now orphaned, mount upon the neck. "I'm afraid your master has gone to do better work with Eir."

He regards the animal with a level of compassion he reserves for the lower creatures who rely upon their masters for necessities as well as companionship, and possibly even a sense of purpose. "Perhaps we can find another for you to bear proudly, hmm? Wouldn't do for you to be standing about all day, now would it?"

At that moment, Kruhljak rather wished he'd been able to find a decent fruit tree somewhere nearby. The apples acquired in Highgate were long gone, and the supplies didn't include sugar chunks as far as he knew. "Well, we'll figure it out," he says with a pat to the animal's shoulder.

He nudges Cinnamon toward the other horse, hoping she would keep it company while he took care of other business.

Striding back to the cave, he catches Nalik just after his prayers are completed, and states, "I've just been reminded that Kylin's mount is now without a rider. I'm sure there's another willing master for it." He leaves it at that, knowing Nalik will understand the implicit request.
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-04-02 at 05:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122

Planetar

Nalik

His prayers completed, Nalik feels that he is nearly floating on air. Listening to Kryhljack he responds.
    That is wonderful, I am sure that one of us who is without a mount can find a use for such a noble steed.
    This is accompanied with a robust smack on the back.

Nalik then proceeds to don his armor and head out to hook up Whiteboots to his cart. It is then that he realizes that he doesn't know if the cart will make it where they are going. He searches out Carter or Sarrok to ask the question.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I guess the question is as much to D'. Is the cart going to make it, or is Nalik going to need to try riding Whiteboots.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Carter rises early and does a bit of stretching and warmup exercise. After that, he washes up a bit from the water he gathered last night and begins the long processes of straping his armor on.

As everyone else begins to rise and get ready, Carter watchs them with keen interest, but little interaction.

After Nalik gives the order to get ready Carter begins making his way around to everyone to make sure they know to get ready and don't need any help. Once he has briefly interacted with everyone, Carter will focus on Elis, who Carter knows can get caught up in conversation and who isn't feeling well. With the occasional glance at the new guy, Beregond, to make sure he is making progress.

Once Beregond's made his hasty departure, Carter announces, "Okay, lets finish this up. Once you are squared away and ready to move, get outside." After people begin moving outside, Carter will focus on getting the last couple people moving and out the door while Nalik finishs his prayers.

Carter continues to hound people to get moving until he is eventually the last one out of the cave. Once outside he sees Nalik hooking up the cart. He approaches and says, "The way will be clear for a bit, but at the base of mountains it gets a bit rocky. The cart will really slow us down if we have to carefully pick a path through the debris."
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-04-02 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added last bit
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hertz

Hertz finishes packing the food as Krulhjak comes back in, and just in time to hear about Kylin's mount. "We could use it to carry the supplies. I'm not much of a rider, but I'm quite willing to take care of Kylin's horse if no one else wants a mount."
    Last edited by Annalia; 2007-04-02 at 06:57 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125

Oliana

Oliana breaths a sigh of relief when the horse is claimed for Hertz. Monsterous creatures they are. Grabbing her backpack and patting everything once, making sure she has everything (backpack, component pouch, daggers).

"Ready when you are."
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

6. - Top - End - #126

Deladus

Having always travelled light, Deladus took only a few moments to gather his belongings and strap them securely to his back. After a moment, he blinked in mild confusion, then, once Nalik completes his prayers, asks, "Pardon, sir, but where are we going, anyway?"

7. - Top - End - #127

Planetar

Nalik

(Deladus)
    Nalik is momentarily confused by Deladus' question, then he realizes why he did not hear the announcement.
    Ah, you were on watch weren't you. Sarrok and Carter have found evidence of a fight at the foot of the mountains. They found some equipment that seems to indicate that our predecessors were involved. We are going to investigate.

(Carter)
    Nalik looks longingly at the cart.
    Oh well, he says with a grin. I have ridden before, but I believe I will need some help preparing Whiteboots.

I think at this point we can assume that everyone is outside and prepared to go.

Ok, let move oot. Sarrok, can you lead the way. I want Deladus and Kruhljack up front. Hertz, Oliana, Ziran and I will take the middle. Elis and Carter bring up the rear.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128

Deladus

Finally understanding, Deladus grins at the prospect of finally possibly completing at least one of their missions. Upon the order to take the head of the column, he does so, heading out, but mostly following Kruhljak.

9. - Top - End - #129

Sarrok Balderk

he swiftly nods and pulls himself on to his mount " I'll will stay about forty feet ahead. Keep your eyes on the forest to the left we already know what kind monsters lurk in there."

Sarrok rides out to the front and follows the river toward the moutains

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

The unit moves north along the river. As not everyone is mounted, it takes about three hours to get back to the spot where Sarrok and Carter stopped before. The land here is sloped far more than it is near base camp, but it presents no hindrance to travel. Prickly shrubs, short trees, and rocky outcroppings cover the land; grasses are scarce and weedy. The river here moves swiftly and cuts through a rock channel. You are at nearly the feet of the mountains.

11. - Top - End - #131

Kruhljak Wynde

Nalik's enthusiastic reply, both verbally and physically, struck Kruhljak by surprise, eliciting a slight flinch and a pair of raised eyebrows. They were lost on Nalik, though, as he was practically in motion before his hand left the shoulder he'd just slapped.

Looking around to see if anyone else had noticed the exchange, Kruhljak catches Hertz glancing his way. Unsure if the monk noticed anything odd, Kruhljak decides to allow him to mention it, if so. He hadn't had a great deal of interaction with the cleric to be aware of his possible idiosyncrasies, so simply stashes the event away for reference and acts normally as he draws himself to Hertz' pallet.

The monk offers to care for the mount, and in reply, Kruhljak says, "That'll be fine. I'll go and bring her around to the front and you can take over. I see no reason it should be an issue, but some horses are rather temperamental when it comes to being handled by those they're not familiar with. Just a precaution."

Before he leaves, he collects and dons his armor, setting his flail to proper position for efficient readying, then heads outside to put the finishing touches on Cinnamon's barding. Completed, he mounts up, taking Kylin's mount's bridle in hand, and walks her to the cave entrance. He's pleased to see that the animal seems comfortable with Hertz, so with a wave he moves off to assume his position in the marching line, Deladus falling in just behind.

With Sarrok taking a scouting lead, on Nalik's mark, Kruhljak sets the main body of the group in motion with a circling wave of his hand and a point to the diminishing form of Sarrok's mount.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I assumed Kylin's mount was a mare for convenience. I don't recall if it was ever mentioned.

12. - Top - End - #132

Ziran Blueboots

Ziran is still more than a little nervous, and twitches slightly every once in a while. He is convinced that some danger, whether the known orcs or rats, or something completely new, is lurking ahead, and that he has to be prepared with immediate overwhelming arcane force if he wants everyone in the party to survive. He contents himself with thinking as he rides, forming up contingency plans in case Sarrok is ambushed and surrounded, going through scenario after scenario with a different attacking force each time. Thus, instead of his usual cheerfulness he exudes a grim silence, except when his eyes twinkle imagining a particularly amusingly effective counter to an enemy attack. Still, just as often, he shudders in horror attempting to imagine an attack by the thing that got Kylin so messily.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Looking around Carter smiles and announces, "This is the area. Maybe Elisathalan should check to see if he can see any tracks besides Sarrok and mine before we trample the area looking for clues."

Once Elis has given the all clear on Carter starts searching.

Search (1d20+2=17)
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

14. - Top - End - #134

Deladus

Along with Carter, Deladus begins to search over terrain, looking for anything of interest, be it an obvious track or some more signs of just who, or what, was here before.

Spoiler
    Show

Search - (1d20+1)[6]

15. - Top - End - #135

Oliana

Oliana plods along enjoying the walk keeping an eye out for anything scary. When they arrive at the area, Oliana will look around and keep watch for all the party searching the ground.

16. - Top - End - #136

Hertz

Although he does notice Nalik's exhuberance, Hertz also leaves it unmentionned. They had, for now, more important things to care about and it was likely related to the cleric's recent prayers. Being in contact with one's god tends to have that effect.

Instead, Hertz decided to focus on the mount he'd just been granted the care off. The mare certainly deserved an attentive treatment, and he didn't want to screw up. Slowly and carefully, he charged her with part of the food supply, taking what he could carry without hindering his movement on him. I'll have to find you a fitting name... Won't do to call you 'charge horse'. With a smile, he took his position in the line, keeping the horse close.

When they arrive near the feet of the mountain, where Carter had found clues about the old Defenders, Hertz stays away from the spot. He wasn't a good tracker, and he didn't want to trample the ground around. Instead, he kept a carefull watch around, hoping to catch sight of an enemy before it'd fall upon them.

17. - Top - End - #137

Planetar

Nalik

On the ride out along the river, Nalik quietly ponders the previous night. His face flashes between smiles and thoughtful expression as he cycles through memories and trying to decipher them.

When they reach the site identified by Sarrok and Carter, he is pleased to see those scouting the area and taking up watch. As he joins those taking watch, he sets out some battle plans.
    No one be a hero, if you see anything suspicious give a shout. At the first sign of danger, I want Deladus, Carter, and Kruhljack to form a wedge. Oliana and Ziran, you slide in behind them. Elis, I want you to keep them off balance with your bow for as long as you can. The rest of us will fill out the sides and help where needed.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

Kruhljak Wynde

With the others checking for suspicious tracks, Kruhljak remains mounted, drawing forth his flail and resting it across a shoulder.

"Aye, Nalik. We shall execute the formation properly. I shall take point, this time."

His ears and squinting eyes survey the surrounding countryside as alertly as they can, while others tend to more specific duties.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Elisathalan steps carefully about the area indicated by Carter and Sarrok, pausing here and there, examining the shrubs and the ground. He stands up over by the one he was told had the chainmail stuck in it. "If there were any tracks or signs to be found right here, they are long since washed away. However," he points a little farther away, "I do see some more scraps off that way. Perhaps this was only a part of the fight." He starts picking his way carefully through the prickly plants, holding up an intact arrow as he finds it.

Then he stops abruptly, holding up a hand to indicate no one else should come near. He carefully and quietly moves back and uses a low vioce to speak to Nalik. "There is a sleeping creature just beyond that line of plants. It has leathery skin of ruddy brown with sharp black spines coming out of a line on its back. It must be about five feet long from nose to tail. And I think it has more than four legs, but its back faces this way and I couldn't tell for certain."
    Last edited by dauphinous; 2007-04-06 at 08:51 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Carter stands around waiting for Elisathalan to pick up whatever tracks he may find. Once he finds some and starts to follow them, Carter begins searching the area he started in for any missing detail.

When Elisathalan returns and reports to Nalik, Carter overhears the report and immediately forms up with Private Wynde. He then turns and vigerously motions everyone else to form up and make ready, but doesn't actually say anything.

{{ Overhear Elis (1d20+1=10) }}

21. - Top - End - #141

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik gets Elis' report,
    Is there a way for us to get around this beast without a fight?

Assuming there is no way around the creature.
    pointing to a spot off in the open.
    Deladus, Kruhljack, Carter you set up over here. Spread out a bit, to make it difficult for this creature to attack more than one of you at a time. The rest of us will stay off to the side so that as soon as the creature passes us, we can attack from behind. One we are all set up. I want the wedge to start making as much noise as possible.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142

Hertz

At Carter's very first sign that something was going on, Hertz tied Kylin's mount loosely to a tree, so that it'd be able to tear free if in danger. He then takes position on the right side of the wedge and waits silently.

23. - Top - End - #143

Oliana

"Do we know what it is? Do we even think it will be violent?"

24. - Top - End - #144

Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak nods dutifully at Nalik's instruction, though he wasn't quite sure of the plan's intent. In his experience, albeit with more common creatures such as goblins and gnolls, a sleeping creature is conveniently susceptible to an organized ranged assault and it often resulted in a victory without appreciable risk.

Seeing no purpose in being mounted for any sort of attack on this rough terrain, he slowly trots downslope some distance and dismounts, leaving Cinnamon to pick at any edible grasses that might have gained purchase amongst the rocks.

He makes his way back to Nalik, rather than to the selected position he'd considered taking, and asks him, "Will we be preparing for ranged or melee, initially?" Regardless, it would do well to know which weapon to have at the ready.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Nature to ID critter: 10 (17 roll, max 10 untrained)

25. - Top - End - #145

Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok nods and loads his cross bow. He slides off Ulfgard and walks to the left of the rest keeping one hand on his mount

26. - Top - End - #146

Ziran Blueboots

Ziran grimly takes his place in the wedge - if the thing is unafraid to attack an armed and noisy military unit, better to get rid of it now and get it over with, instead of waiting for the thing to attack a scouting party or some such. Besides, this might be a good test of how his color spray interacts with formation tactics. That beast might be resistant, but even a moment of stunning should be enough to drop the thing quite conclusively. The image of transfixing a large, spiny thing with a color spray restores some degree of the sparkle to the grim gnome's eyes.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Elis looks down at Nalik. "It would be easy to get around it. It's sleeping. But I don't think we should just leave it there. I may not know what it is, but anything brazen enough to just sleep in the open, especially in what is probably the site of a great deal of carnage is either responsible for that carnage, or has eaten the thing that was. Either way, it's dangerous."

{Map/non-photobucket map. You are all coming in from the southwest (north is up, as usual). Please indicate your desired location either here or in the OOC thread. The brown square is the sleeping thing, the green squares are 3 foot tall shrubs. They do not obstruct line of sight, but they do provide cover if you stand behind one. You can pass through the green squares for x2 movement cost, but you cannot end your movement in one.}

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Carter readies his flail and positions himself 3 squares to the right of Private Wynde. Carter waits for everyone to get into position and murmurs a small prayer to Thor.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-04-08 at 05:58 PM. Reason: change NE to 'to the right'

29. - Top - End - #149

Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok heads to the left near bushes but with a clear view of the beast. He hold Ulfgard behind him and to the right.

Sarrok=G14
    Ulfgard=H15

30. - Top - End - #150

Oliana

Oliana looks concerned as she takes her place as the wizard "in the middle."