New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 2

Deladus

Responding to Nalik's order, Deladus moves into the position and prepares for further orders.

Spoiler
    Show

Move according to however works to fit with the other two point guards. If that doesn't work... G14

2. - Top - End - #152

((Not sure how this is going to form up, but I believe Hertz should be in H16.))

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Nalik

To Kruhljack
    You should fight how you are comfortable. Ideally we will take this creature oot before it has a chance to get close to any of us. If it does close, I want it to be with the 3 of you.

He then moves to k15 and prepares his crossbow.

Spoiler
    Show

My plan is for the creature to charge our meatshields, and the rest of us to flank. If we can get a couple of bolts/arrows into it, so much the better. Lets not waste magic until we know that we need it.
    Last edited by anIceFan; 2007-04-07 at 05:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154

Though, with only one cleric, if it is a choice between using a color spray and a healing spell, I'd rather use the color spray. Also, OOC, this thing could have any combination of random crazy offensive abilities, regeneration, damage reduction, spikes that damage people meleeing it, way too much AC, 100+ hp, or, well, nearly anything. OOC, I'm always a little paranoid about jumping unknown spiny things, and IC, well, Ziran was nervous before this episode.

5. - Top - End - #155

Kruhljak Wynde

At Nalik's reply and his departure, Kruhljak would appear rather disgruntled were anyone focusing on him, rather than the sleeping beast.

Not yet feeling comfortable with the situation, he follows Nalik and assumes a position beside him, crouching near the lonely bush that provides a modicum of cover.

He speaks in a low, measured voice but with verbal alacrity, "Nal...Sir. If I'm free to speak my mind on this matter, I don't believe you have made it perfectly clear what results you expect from this maneuver. Elis has offered that we could circumvent the creature entirely, and you have stated that you wish to allow it to flee if it will, though an argument has been put forth that this creature should be removed for the good of all who may travel this area. My question, then, is are we intending to destroy it, or are we intending to allow it to flee? If the latter, then if it chooses not to flee, we've lost all of our advantage--and squandering an advantage versus a creature we know nothing about puts us all at greater risk. If it does flee, then the creature is left to roam the area and continue to attack unsuspecting travelers. Neither scenario is, in my mind, advantageous to us. To be blunt, and I feel it is my responsibility to be so where our safety is concerned, I believe we should either back away and perform a ranged assault with intent to kill, or move in quickly to surround it and destroy it. If we simply wish to scare it off, we can do so from the farthest distance with arrow-shot, leaving all those with shorter ranged weapons to make their bids should the creature decide to retailiate rather than flee. In which case, we had best intend to destroy it. I have no further comments, at this stage. I will, of course, abide by your instructions. Though I fully expect my opinions to be on the record, regardless of the outcome."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I will take up a position (at L14) beside Nalik.

6. - Top - End - #156

Oliana

Oliana sees that discussion continues, "My concern is that it is sentient; perhaps intelligent. I'm thinking back to that dragon that flew over us recently. But if we are planning on being prepared for a fight, I'd suggest that our main melee types, Deladus, Kruhljak and Hertz to its west, behind those bushes, allowing Carter and and Sarrok the benefit of the flanking bonus the seem to have coming in from the south. Archer and medic support from the southwest, and the magic users can follow the fighters to the north and follow them in from the northwest."
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Carter remains in position to Private Wynde's right while listening to Oliana's suggestions. That sounds more feasible. Hit it hard to start and then keep it flanked. Hopefully the archers can attack it despite our being that close. The beast seems fairly small, it shouldn't survive more than a couple hits.

While remaining in position Carter begins to visualize where to stand and how the battle might go with Oliana's strategy in place while waiting/hoping that Nalik changes his mind.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

As the sleeping beast is circled warily to determine the best avenues of attack, a better idea of what it truly looks like can be gained. The creature has not four, but eight stubby legs. It runs probably 4 and half feet long, discounting its muzzle and stumpy tail. The head is low slung, covered on the top with more of the sharp black spines and vaguely reptilian in shape - flattish and wide. Two overly large eyes sit atop its head, like a frog, or perhaps a crocodile. The eyes seem disproportionately large compared to the head.

It slumbers amidst small scattered piles of bones, shredded pieces of what looks like armor of various types, and some coins. It appears that there might be things underneath it as well, and the nearby shrubs look to have objects, some shiny, some not, stuck within them.

9. - Top - End - #159

Deladus

Noticing the placement of the materials around the creature, as well as its further appearance, Deladus quietly draws his weapon and shield in case it wakes. In the meantime, he glances to Nalik for any nonverbal commands.

Spoiler
    Show

Prepared action to attack if it wakes and seems hostile.

10. - Top - End - #160

Sarrok Balderk

When Sarrok comes with in with rang and sees the beast for himself he answers Oliana's concer "Intelligent or not, I think we would want this thing dead" His hands tighten on his crossbow.

11. - Top - End - #161

Oliana

Oliana nods her aggreement to Sarroks words, and then looks to Nalik for the final approval of an attack plan.

12. - Top - End - #162

Hertz

Circling to the west, Hertz carefully observes the creature. He had to agree with Sarrok: they likely didn't want that thing to live. He stretches his hands, cracking a few knuckles, before taking out a javelin. Lifting it, he waits for Deladus' warhammer to fall.

OOC:
    Last edited by Annalia; 2007-04-09 at 04:08 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik listens to the input from those who offer. He can see that they obviously have offered some very good points. He thinks a moment, and revises his plan.

Those are good points. This does not appear to be a docile creature. We should take every advantage that we can.

Carter, you and Oliana head up to the north to come in from the top of the clearing, Deladus Hertz and I will move in from due West. Elis and Ziran, you keep to this general area, Sarrok and Kruhljack head around to the South. We will give everyone a chance to get in position. The signal will be Deladus dropping his warhammer. At that sign, I want everyone who can to send a volley into the beast. In conjunction with that, Deladus, Carter and Kruhljack will advance on the creature. The rest of us will give support as we can.

Spoiler
    Show

I kinda tweaked Oliana's layout a bit.
    Here are the positions as I have laied them out:
    Oliana E7
    Carter E8
    Nalik D9
    Deladus C10
    Hertz A10
    Elis E14
    Ziran F15
    Sarrok I14
    Kruhljack J14
    Last edited by anIceFan; 2007-04-09 at 03:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Ah, another excellent plan. Carter leaves Private Wynde and moves quickly and quietly around to the position designated by the commander.

{{ move to E8 }}

Carter stands holding his Heavy Flail to keep it quiet while he waits for the signal to attack. His eyes on the creature, ready to bash is puny little brain into pulp should it move before the signal is given.

If I was just laying here in the grass sleeping, I think I'd notice a bunch of people in armor with weapons standing over me. Ah, well, lets hope the beast doesn't really have instincts.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

A funny sort of snorting noise comes from the creature as you shift about to your new locations. After a few moments, it resumes snoring lightly.

{map/non-photobucket map. I added a couple of extra rows onto the west side, which is why your positions don't line up with what anIceFan posted. If you are satisfied with this, go ahead and roll your initiative and declare surprise round actions. Surprise round = partial action}

16. - Top - End - #166

Oliana

Oliana prepares for the sound of a hammer dropping by readying Magic Missile.

Spoiler
    Show

{OOC:
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[14]; MMDamage - (1d4+1)[5]
    }

17. - Top - End - #167

Planetar

Nalik

Positions work for me.

Initiave = 1d20+1=16

At deladus' signal, Nalik will fire a bolt from his crossbow.
    to hit lizard, 1d20+2=17
    damage to lizard = 1d8=8
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168

Sarrok Balderk

sarrok gets into to postion and fire at the beast when the signal sounds

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=966657]to hit
    http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=966663] DMG
    (if attack is a sneak attack, via suprise round rules)
    http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=966666] sneak attack damage
    Last edited by WarBrute; 2007-04-10 at 05:37 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Hammer Time... er well, Flail time. Attack(when commanded/signaled).

Dang, it is so awkward to try to swing quietly.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-04-10 at 09:34 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170

Looking to Nalik for a signal and, once he sees it, Deladus creeps forward and swings.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative - (1d20+2)[8]
    Attack - (1d20+7)[23]
    Damage - (1d8+4)[11]

21. - Top - End - #171

Ziran Blueboots

Ziran obeys his orders, and decides that Nalik must not want him wasting magic here - there is hardly room to use a color spray in this formation. So, he decides to use the surpise round to cast Detect Magic - if there is any magic involved, the group needs to know right away.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Surprise Round

Carter and Deladus step carefully up to the sleeping beast, then ready to attack it. Hertz launches a javelin, lodging it cleverly into a shrub. Sarrok launches a crossbow bolt, sinking it into the creature’s flesh. Carter smashes his flail into the side of the creature, causing the flesh to quiver and some blood to splatter out. Nalik shoots a crossbow bolt that thunks solidly into it.

Ziran casts Detect Magic while he waits to see what will happen. Oliana sends a magical dart into the thing. Kruhljak, not prepared for the signal, fails to act. Elisathalan fires an arrow into it, giving it a glancing scratch. Deladus smashes his hammer into it, eliciting a satisfying thud noise.

The creature makes a rumbling. groaning sound and its eyes snap open. They emit a soft pale yellow glow and are pupilless.

{
    initiative order:
    Hertz 20
    Sarrok 18
    Carter 17
    Nalik 16
    Ziran 15
    Oliana 14
    lizardy thing 14
    Kruhljak 10
    Elisathalan 8
    Deladus 8
    }

23. - Top - End - #173

Kruhljak Wynde
    ( Init: 10 | AC: 16 | HP: 22/22 | Position: L14->L11 )

Kruhljak bobs slightly on his heels awaiting the signal. With Deladus and Carter taking the frontal approach, Kruhljak plans to sweep a bit to the rear for a flanking strike as soon as his two comrades have brought the lizard out of its slumber.

On plan, Kruhljak springs into action with surprising speed, gliding as swiftly across the scrabble as his bulky armor would allow, bringing the wildly dancing spiked orbs of his flail down upon the beast's scaly hide.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move from L14 -> L11 = 15'

Attack with flail using 2BAB into Power Attack = 19 [15(1d20-2)+4(STR)]

Damage: 12 [2(1d10)+6(STR*1.5)+4(2BAB->PowerAttack)]

(rolls)
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-04-11 at 04:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174

Deladus

Watching the creature's legs warily, looking for signs of where it will strike next, Deladus attacks again.

Spoiler
    Show

Dodge bonus on "lizardy-thing" (AC 19)

Attack - (1d20+7)[23]
    Damage - (1d8+4)[9]

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Ah.. it didn't die. What the heck is going on with its eyes? Glowing eyes... ah.. that's bad.

Carter winds up and smashes the beast again, or tries to anyway.

Okay.. try not to look at the eyes. Maybe this thing is a medusa spawn or something. Ah... dang.

Carter focuses on his target, visualizing his attack.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-04-11 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Add +2 for flank/sneak attack

26. - Top - End - #176

Oliana

Oliana curses under breath. There's a flaw in my plan. It's too crowded for fireworks, and those eyes don't look like they will have a problem with flare or daze. Only chance if it retreats to the north east.

Oliana stays low and moves to the east outside of the ring of brush and hides behind the brush there prepared to let loose some fire should the thing seperate from the crowd.

{OOC: Move to K6. Ready to cast Burning Hands if the creature seperates to the northeast.}

27. - Top - End - #177

Planetar

Nalik

Fighters move in on in, lets get the beast surrounded.

Nalik drops his crossbow, draws his hammer and moves to the south east while preparing his shield. He shifts to a spot in front of some brush where he can move in to provide help if necessary.

Spoiler
    Show

move to I11 and get into a defesive posture. +2 to AC -4 to attack.
    So total AC for this round is 19
    ready an attack with his hammer if the creature charges him
    bab - 4 + str 4-4+2 = +2
    damage 1d8+1+2(str)

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178

Hertz

Great, shiny yellow eyes. And all I can hit is brush. Well, let's keep it distracted a bit. Sprinting forward, Hertz moves past Deladus and behind Krulhjak, making his way to the creature's west flank. If he couldn't hit it himself, he'd at least provide distraction and allow the others to be more effective.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about now posting on time for the init. Although with that score, maybe I should let you roll for Hertz more often. Either way, I'm spending two move actions to go to M11.
    Last edited by Annalia; 2007-04-11 at 10:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok Quickly reloaded and fired again

To hit 10
    Damage 3

30. - Top - End - #180

Ziran Blueboots

Ziran calls out a warning: "This thing appears to have taken down people who had magic gear - watch out. I'll try to confuse it."

Having said that, he casts a Silent Image of Carter, standing right beside Carter and doing exactly what he does.