New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1530
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Anika

Anika sits in the dining hall, waiting for the summons of the Iron Lord, spinning her dagger and thinking. She listens carefully to the conversation between Elthan and Damian.
    Last edited by blackfox; 2007-09-24 at 08:41 PM.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Bugbear in the Playground

After waiting for what seems like hours, you are finally summoned back to the audience chamber. The doors are closed and loud voices can be heard arguing behind them.

A retainer knocks on the large double oak doors, then retreats.

The doors swing open silently, revealing a trio of generals standing before the Iron Lord. The enormous chamber is otherwise empty.

The generals bow and withdraw through one of the side doors.

The Iron Lord stands before his throne, alone. He looks at you for a moment, as though weighing something in his mind.

"Those who do not fear death, come forward," he gestures you into the hall. His voice is softer and more informal than you remember.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tiriel

With a quick look at her companions, Tiriel shrugs and steps forward. After all the things she'd seen, done, and survived over the past few months, fear of death never stopped her from moving forward. She's not about to let it start holding her back now.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

4. - Top - End - #1264

PirateCaptain

Tanner Gondsman

Without a moment's hesitation, Tanner strides confidently into the hall and will stop in front of the Iron Lord. Tanner's strength of purpose comes from the confidence in knowing that death will only bring Tanner closer to Gond. He has dreamt of the Golden Hills - where Gond watches over his followers. Tanner knows that a room awaits him in the Gond's House of Knowledge. Protected by his faith, Tanner's heart and emotions remain calm.

Once before the throne, Tanner bows his head to the Iron Lord to show respect. He then stands at attention with his body open and turned so others can join him in a semi circle. This position also allows Tanner to see the reactions of the others.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Ogre in the Playground

Tryntha

The Rashemi woman steps into the room without pause. She also moves directly in front of the Iron Lord and drops into a deep bow. Once upright again, she steps to the side not sure exactly where she falls in this mix of outsiders and her kinsman.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

I've been around death my entire life, whats a little more?

It was with that single thought that he stepped solemnly towards the Iron Lord's throne, feeling a new weight on his hip and one hand hovering above his spellbook. He had found some time to round out the repitiore of spells that lay within it and now felt much more...confident about what he had to do. Knowledge was power after all, and he didn't truly mourn the lose of the gem from the hydra's cave.

I wonder if he uses a glamer to amplify his voice...or perhaps he's just extremely loud whenever he needs to be impressive for his subjects. In either case this is much softer on the ears.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #1267

Fizahn:

Fizahn pauses a second before stepping into the throne room. He moves before the Iron Lord and bows. He then scurries back to the rest of the group and pulls out his dagger. As he usually does when he's bored or nervous, he begins tossing the serpentine blade into the air and catching it. I do fear death. I'd be lying if I said I didn't, but I can't just abandon the world to my mistake. Maybe I should say that out loud. It sounds pretty noble. Nah, I'll just not mention the whole fearing death thing.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

8. - Top - End - #1268

Damian

With the Iron Lord's challenge, Damian chuckles slightly. Well, of course I fear death. But I'm being paid for it. This is what I do. The grin disappears from his face in a moment, however. It's strange that I'm so calm when accepting risks like this. I put survival over everything else, yet throw myself into grave danger for money. It's the challenge, I think. I don't believe I'd truly be living without it. Staying alive has always been a challenge for me. And so really, the choice is between something worse than death and a chance at death.

Looking at the others, he notes Tanner boldly stepping forward. It's people like him I really don't understand. Blind faith. Is it really bravery when you don't actually believe you're risking anything? At least those people are easy to predict, though. Tiriel's shrug registers without a hint of surprise, and Fizahn's dagger tossing seems the perfect response. That's definitely bravery, though. Looking the risk you're taking in the face, and saying that you need to take the risk anyway.

But I'm really no better than those who work on blind faith, am I? I step forward because I'm not really risking anything. Staying behind isn't living for me. Is it any different? Is that the same thing that Tiriel and Fizahn are thinking? Aren't they just saying that they don't want to live in a world where Sethra wins, too? No... it is different. They could choose to stay behind, and hope someone else handles it. They have a choice, know the risk, and are making it.

Ah well. This is not the time for introspection. My choice was made the instant Fizahn made that offer.

Without a hint of emotion in his face, Damian steps forward, looking up to the Iron Lord. While Tanner and the other bow to the Rashemi sovereign, Damian does not. His face shows no element of haughtiness or superiority. It's almost as if the concept of showing respect just doesn't cross his mind.
    Last edited by barawn; 2007-09-25 at 05:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Ogre in the Playground

Anika

Anika hesitates for a few seconds. I don't really fear death itself, nor do I believe that there is nothing after death... But with no way of knowing the manner or time of my death... no way to know what to expect... I don't know if I'll be able to do all I want to do in life... helping to finish Valentine and Sethra... Perhaps the whole problem is not knowing... but then, I don't know what will happen either way, whether I fight or not. And I'd rather fight than sit safely in a stone castle for years, hundreds of miles from anywhere familiar. She steps forwards, her expression grave.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

10. - Top - End - #1270

Khazrael

In order to be afraid of my own death, I'd have to think that I was going to die.

With a smile on his face, Khazrael strides forward.

11. - Top - End - #1271

Goblin

Retay

Do I fear death? Do I? My tribe did not. That was our great strength. When faced with death, we grew stronger. But do I fear death? They always said so. All my life, I was the one in the background, the weakling, the coward. The ones drafted into looking after me were always ashamed.

But on that day... When we were attacked, I was not afraid. Not that day. I stood with my brothers and sisters that day, and I was proud... Too proud. I lost control. My brothers and sisters died. And then, then I was afraid. I was afraid that more would die, and it would be my fault. I would not fight again...

And then more died. And those who were left called me useless, called me a coward, all over again. They were right. Their blood was on my hands. Because I was afraid.

No more. I do not fear death. Death is my destiny, the destiny of us all, and I will not fear again.

All this passes through his head in an instant. Without hesitation, Retay steps forward and joins the circle.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

Death, pah! I'm not afraid of anything. Not so keen on experiencing that, but if it comes for me, who cares? Nobody I know, yeah, but not me either. Ah, screw this, why am I thinking about it? It's that Sethra bloke who should fear death, not me. I don't have me hunting after me...
    He steps forward confidently to stand near the people he has come to dislike, half a smile embedded on his features.

13. - Top - End - #1273

Adalmar

He turns the words in his head for a few seconds. His intrinsic honesty forces Adalmar to admit that he is afraid of death. Then again, he has always been told that it is wise to do so, provided you do not let your fear rule your life. Those words he received, he has now made his.

In any case, the path of duty and friendship is clear. He steps forward and solemnly bows with the others.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Gala

Gala's conversation with Adalmar and Tanner is broken off and she follows the party to the audience chamber. 'Not fear death?' I should already be dead. Killed with my friends...and Father. I'm past fearing death anymore. All I have to live for is killing this Sethra, and Valentine. I was prepared to die for that cause since leaving Laviguer, before I even knew what to look for. Nothing else matters. Gala steps forward into the room to join her newfound companions and bows to the Iron Lord. She steps in line with the others, standing close to those she had come to know in the past few hours.

15. - Top - End - #1275

Elthan

Elthan stays still for a moment, lost in just that thought. Was he afraid to die? He certainly did not hold it in high regard with all of his recklessness as of late, and would gladly sacrifice it for the group if the need arose.

But, why was he even trying to think so far about such a theatrical question? Sure, he liked his stories where the hero's are asked for displays of their commitment by being asked to step forward and such, but that was for the beginning of adventures, not half-way through like they were.

But again, why was he thinking of something as silly as books? It was a simple call to arms; Who wants to keep going? The decision was already made, so after but a few moments of such contemplation he stepped forward with the rest of the group. He looks over to them for a moment, only to guess at what they might be thinking.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

16. - Top - End - #1276

One by one, the thirteen of you step forward until you are gathered in a semi-circle around the throne of the Iron Lord.

Alone, the huhrong seems older and more gentle than he had seemed the previous night. But his eyes are still clear and bright, and his sinewy muscles and well-healed scars remind you that his title was hard won. He is not a man to be underestimated.

He smiles, perhaps a bit sadly, as he looks at each of you in turn.

"My generals are assembling the fyrra, our war leaders, and we have recalled 2000 warriors from Citadel Rashemar.

"All of the Great Lodges are mobilizing - Ettercap, Great Stag, Ice Troll, Owlbear, Snow Tiger, and Wolf.

"From Mulsantir in the south to the Urlingwood here in the north, our armies are preparing for war."

The Iron Lord does not speak with pride. His voice is flat as he details the preparations that have already been set into motion within the past 24 hours.

"And yet, it would appear that we are doomed. Rashemen will fall."

A female voice interrupts the Iron Lord, "Indeed. Our brave warriors will be no match for the enemy we face."

From the shadows behind the throne step three women. Their faces are hidden behind elegant porcelain masks.

Tryntha curtseys deeply, suppressing her surprised intake of breath. She recognizes the wychlaran as more than just hathrans. These are othlors - "true ones" - the wisest of all of the wychlaran.

"The Lake of Tears will not protect us from an enemy that can travel under the earth as easily, if not more easily, than above it.

"And their warriors - demons and undead - neither tire nor retreat.

"The necromancer reborn has found a nearly limitless supply of undead minions to command. He will be able to send new abominations against us faster than we can destroy them.

"The fall of Rashemen is, based on all of our calculations, inevitable. Our warriors are strong and brave, and will defend our homeland to their last breaths, but their efforts will be in vain. Resistance is, it would appear, futile."

The lead othlor pauses, allowing the Iron Lord to speak again.

"It is obvious to ... us ... that a frontal assault or conventional defense will be useless. In a war of attrition, it is we who will be the losers.

"We will need an alternative plan ..."

17. - Top - End - #1277

Tiriel

The last time Tiriel was in a situation similar to this, she backed down. She let herself be talked into "delivering" the kris to Sheyra. She'd felt that it'd been wrong - that whole creepy ordeal of the walking through the-catacombs filled-with-zombies with that (bitch) Valentine had been wrong. But it had been a relief to get rid of the knife so she'd given in.
    Wait.
    Filled. With. Zombies.
    There were a lot of them down there in the catacombs. More than lots. They'd killed that bard, what's-his-face, and Tiriel had taken down quite a few before Valentine called her minions off. But there were plenty left waiting to replace the one's she'd killed. Could it be... Well that'd be just too perfect since they'd been planning to head that way anyhow.

Tiriel looks at Anika, grinning with her mental success, "Do you remember the catacombs under Telflamm? The ones where we met Valentine and fought all the zombies?"

[ooc: reference [here] for everyone not familiar with the LitD events]
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2007-09-26 at 10:14 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

18. - Top - End - #1278

PirateCaptain

Tanner Gondsman

Tanner waits to make sure that the four leaders are through speaking. He looks at the others and then says in an unwavering voice, "The undead do the bidding of the necromancer who commands them, and I would undoubtedly guess that some nefarious pact was struck to gain the aid of the evil outsiders. If the head were removed, the body would fall; namely - remove the lynch-pin that holds this entire force in place...remove the necromancer."

Tanner then pauses again before continuing. He has spoken what everyone knows to be true and his next statement will most likely be a death sentence to any who choose to walk down the path. Tanner's words are not sweetened with honey nor are they eloquent, but they resound in the hearts of those that hear them. He continues, "Iron Lord, sending an army to dispatch the necromancer would be foolish, for they would be easily tracked; in addition, all the warriors that fell would be used against their kin. Moreover, each of the Lodges will be needed here. Instead, a wise choice would be to send a small force of expendable individuals that have proven resourceful and knowledgeable - perhaps among them could be those whom have faced this foe and his minions before." Tanner looks at the original party when he says this. He then turns and looks at Tryntha when he says his next line, "I would think it also would be important to include one whose ties with the land could prove to be a medium to contact her sisters."

Tanner then says, "Whatever is decided, know this, Iron Lord: as long as I draw breath, I shall stop at nothing until this land and people that have harbored and made an outsider like me one of their own are safe from this threat." When finished, Tanner continues to stand with his head high. Even the skeptics in the bunch may be moved with the words of this man whose firm resolve and beliefs are sincere.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

He glances at Tanner, and nods, then voices his opinion, simply agreeing with the Gondsman's point.
    He's right. That Sethra prick is the centre of this. He's gotta go.

20. - Top - End - #1280

Damian

Damian's attention is immediately drawn to Tiriel when she speaks over to Anika - Tanner's impassioned speech registers, but little in it draws his attention. He had already expected as much, and the question, in his mind, wasn't what to do. It was how to do it. When work was plentiful back home, his employers had a simple name for the task. "Strategic removal." In this case, though, it wasn't nearly so simple.

The key to this isn't us. We don't know anything more than the Iron Lord does. The key to this is them. Do they know where these undead are stemming from?

Damian frowns. This was a complicated war, and he simply does not have the information to process it properly. But what about the demons, in that case? The necromancer is just one prong in a two-prong attack.

His mind busy with the complicated issues, Damian stays quiet, carefully listening for Anika's response.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1281

Adalmar

The ranger bows to the Hathrans too - his Rashemi blood demands it. But he feels unsteady on his feet - he had hoped the situation was not so dire, and that Rashemen could at least contain the Army of Darkness.

Infiltrating the enemy side had never seemed like an easy stroll, but doing so knowing that you are the last hope of thousands of people... His shoulders stoop a bit, he imagines he can feel the weight of duty pressing on them.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

22. - Top - End - #1282

Khazrael

Khazrael regards the masked women with interest, but gives no overt signs of respect or deference. He nods in agreement as Tanner speaks.

"He's right. Even if taking Sethra out doesn't destroy his minions, it'll certainly take some of the wind out of their sails."

23. - Top - End - #1283

Goblin

Retay

"I agree," says Retay simply. "We have to take out the head... literally."
    Last edited by Naleh; 2007-09-27 at 02:01 AM. Reason: it was a bit TOO short...

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ogre in the Playground

Tryntha

At this moment, Tryntha found herself greatly jealous of the othlors for nothing simpler than their masks. She found it difficult to maintain her composure when the man in whom she had utmost faith and confidence, and the women who bordered on omnipotence/omniscience to her...laid to bare her worst fears.

But she managed everywhere but her eyes. There was no quivering of her lip, no downward cast to her brow, no nervously grasping at her skirts...but her eyes betrayed the sadness and hopelessness she felt.

After the words of the others, she felt little better, thinking to herself,

Can the fate of my lands really be in the hands of these people? They cant seem to dispatch a simple argument or gain a handle on their own magics and treasures....how can they be expected to infiltrate this force and remove it's head? Especially when that head already possesses an artifact that they gave to it?

Raising her gaze once again to her pillars of strength, she watched them. They were not backing down from this. They would throw everything they have at this foe even in the face of complete ruin. And they had approached these outsiders. Perhaps the othlor had seen something invisible to the eyes of everyone else. Of course they had, that was what they did. And the Iron Lord, besides being immensely powerful himself was also a brilliant leader, especially in times of fighting. He must have some plan he was working towards.

Her thoughts began to race as hope wormed its way back into her mind,

"A small force would not be able to get through a large army to do what needed to be done. But...if that army were distracted with fighting the likes of which it had not seen yet...the likes of which would come from the combined forces of the lodges..then maybe, maybe that small group could slip past. And if the elders have seen that their faith is to be put in these people, I must do everything I can to help them in whatever role they have seen fit for me to play.

A bit of color rushed to her cheeks as the Rashemi woman's eyes shed their sadness and filled with determination. Respectfully, she nodded to the othlor and the huhrong and spoke,

"My Lord, I will fight with all the strength I have in the times to come. I am no lodge warrior, but all that I have is yours to command. Where would you have this sister in the times to come?"

25. - Top - End - #1285

Fizahn:

Fizahn nearly drops his dagger when he hears that the Rashemen aren't confident. Frowning, he sheathes the blade. I did mention the Underdark and untiring points, now didn't I? He lets the others talk for a while before hesitantly chiming in. "I believe the Sethra actually likes to play with enemies that he feels he could otherwise beat easily. I'm not saying that you will be easily beaten by Sethra, but rather that he's arrogant enough to think that. You might have a bit more time than you think. I would also gladly go after Sethra. He needs to be put down."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

26. - Top - End - #1286

The Iron Lord nods in agreement as you speak.

"Perhaps you know the tale of Yr and the ice dragon that tells how a little Rashemi girl defeated the mighty beast with only a sharpened stick?

"While her father fought the beast with axe and shield, Yr crept beneath the beast's belly and found a small weak spot between its armored scales. She plunged her stick into the dragon's heart, slaying it."

Tryntha, of course, immediately recognizes the children's tale. The Iron Lord raises his arms, encompassing all thirteen of you.

"You, then, shall be our stick. The challenge will be in finding the dragon's weak spot ..."

The othlor speaks again.

"Some of you know of the City of the Dead it seems. Indeed, the necromancer's undead army has been growing beneath Thesk for centuries, quietly waiting for the command to emerge."

(Elthan remembers a vision, granted to him by Shar, of a dark anthill, centered beneath Telflamm ...)

"The City of the Dead is the heart of the necromancer's army, but even a guerrilla assault against the City may fail, considering the sheer numbers of undead you would be facing there.

"There may be another option to consider. The kris is now in the hands of one of the necromancer's lieutenants, a vampire with whom some of you are acquainted. She is using the artifact to enhance her control over the vanguard of the undead army now threatening our homeland.

"If the vampire can be defeated and the artifact retrieved, the necromancer's army will be weakened indeed. We would not have pierced the dragon's heart, but perhaps we will be able to defang the dragon's jaws, buying us valuable time."

The Iron Lord adds, "Your friends have already been dispatched to the north, south, east, and west," referring to Lissa, Achkby, Faluil, and Desmona, "but they will need time to rally support from Aglarond and beyond."

"The wychlaran report that the vampire has established a base within the ruins of Shandaular, on the other side of the Lake. Ranger, you know the ruins as the City of Weeping Ghosts. It lies approximately 20 miles north of your hometown of Kront."

27. - Top - End - #1287

Damian

Damian winces slightly when the plan is mentioned. Vampires. Of course it would be vampires. Going after the demons would be easy. "A vampire won't be an easy foe. We have two persons of the cloth with us, but our chances would be aided with anything that would help oppose such a powerful undead."

"I don't mean to further impose - you have already been quite generous. But a failed attempt on the kris may be more dangerous than none at all, since it would tip your intentions. And your knowledge of the situation."
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1288

PirateCaptain

Tanner Gondsman

"Faith is our best weapon. Have faith, Damian; we will not fail as long as we work together. Besides, if there were items to help against the undead, I would rather have them be here in the hands of those that could defend the young, wounded, and infirmed. Sending us would not indicate the intention of the Iron Lord or knowledge thereof. It could be seen as a means of righting an earlier misstep made by the others to get the kris back. Only three of us bear ties to Rasheman, so scries and spies may not see things as much other than refugees from this and other lands."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

29. - Top - End - #1289

Fizahn:

"We've already gotten items to combat them. Although that was apparently a gift from Hlondeth not the Rashemi. We need to move quickly. We need to hurry up with these discussions. The lord has given us our mission. Adalmar knows where we need to go. There's nothing more the Rashemen can do for us; it's time for us to help them." Is haste really that necessary? Damian does have a point about it being a vampire. Are we adequately prepared for a vampire? I doubt that a 'kill' ring would work against an undead. We do have Tiriel's dragon, though.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

30. - Top - End - #1290

Khazrael

Khazrael fiddles with his dragonfly ring as he thinks.

What are you afraid of? You've got your wings--the world is yours.

With a grin, he speaks.

"Let's get the hells out of here, then. Valentine's lackeys stole some of my blood, and I think it's about time I got it back."