New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Flash/Browser Games

Some love them, some hate them, what do you think

If you really like one, tell me what it is, I might check it out

The reason why I'm asking this is because I am thinking when I get back to YouTube, I'll play some browser games for my modern gaming series, just because there are a lot of them
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Flash/Browser Games

Semi-cheating, but Board Game Arena is my current favorite browser-gaming site. It's got a bunch of official browser versions of board games, and the interface is actually really good and smooth. Very easy to find players for the games, too.

Fallen London is an interesting Gothic-themed browser game that's heavily about following a story (not much about action gameplay here).

Fantasy Strike has a number of browser-based games that are digital versions of physical games (Yomi, Puzzle Strike, Flash Duel), quite polished client and even a "free-to-play" character rotation.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

There's online Dominion, for another example of ported board games (though they gave it a campaign).
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, so I have not been able to play them all, but I will try to include these on my YouTube channel
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

You should look into the Armed with Wings series. The first game is a bit bland with the combat but navigating the levels is fun but as the series goes on you can tell that the game's creators really love what they're making. Plus each game is better than the last.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The Telepath series is pretty good. I'd recommend skipping the first one, which is a pretty typical RPG (with some setting quirks). Starting with the second, it turns into a surprisingly good series of tactical RPGs. There's also the wonders of Give Up 2 if you like brutally difficult platformers.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Verstaka View Post
    You should look into the Armed with Wings series. The first game is a bit bland with the combat but navigating the levels is fun but as the series goes on you can tell that the game's creators really love what they're making. Plus each game is better than the last.
    Bah, the first game is at least as good as Armed With Wings 3. The first one is a brutally difficult puzzle game masquerading as a sidescrolling action game. AWW2 and Red Moon (WHICH HAS NOTHING IN THE TITLE SAYING IT'S AN ARMED WITH WINGS GAME FDOFKNJDOBVKJDS) are his first attempts at an actual action-platformer. Armed With Wings 3 and Armed With Wings: Culmination (a sort of side-game detailing certain events that happen during AWW3, and is actually less relevant to the plot than Red Moon) are pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    The Telepath series is pretty good. I'd recommend skipping the first one, which is a pretty typical RPG (with some setting quirks). Starting with the second, it turns into a surprisingly good series of tactical RPGs. There's also the wonders of Give Up 2 if you like brutally difficult platformers.
    Huh, I remember those. I also remember the plot going over my head because I was young. I might have to try them again.

Mission In Space: The Lost Colony is a really good Aliens/X-COM inspired tactics game.

I remember Hands of War being an okay RPG, then disliking Hands of War 2.

Never played the Sonny games all the way through... I remember just getting stuck on the fights in like, the third area. It was a mountain, the first in-land location.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't have links, but you should try Candy Box 2 and A Dark Room.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, man, how could I forget A Dark Room??? Link to the game

It's brilliantly minimalist, but very engaging.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

The Mardek series is a pretty good rpg. I also have pretty good memories of Talesworth arena. Then of course there are the games made by Nerdook all of which are pretty good.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I played two flash games on my channel (check them out on my YouTube link below) Sinjid: Shadow of the Warrior and Thing Thing Arena 3, while Sinjid was not all that I remembered it was, the video has the funniest comment I have ever seen in the comment section
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2016-01-05 at 01:41 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

You cannot say you have truly lived until you've died a hundred times in Urban Dead. I can't tell you how the player base is these days (actually I can, it's on the front page), but the game is truly brilliant.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

And, to remain in the zombie genre, if someone likes it, they can try a flash game: "Road of The Dead 2" (even the first is kinda good, but the second one is better, in my opinion). A FPS mixed with some elements of a RPG, nothing new, I know, but it is built very nicely.

It is on ArmorGames and NewGrounds, IIRC.

Another good one was "The last stand: Union City", a RPG/shooter/side scrolling.

Or the "Rebuild" (some kind of civilization game, where you have to rebuild a town, and maybe find a cure for the zombie apocalypse).

On my Kongregate account I had quite a few nice -IMO, of course- games bookmarked in my "favorites". If one day I manage to recover nick and password, so that I can access it again, I will post them here.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I loved Rebuild and it's sequels. My only complaint is that after a certain point the game actually gets easier. Once you reach a large enough group of survivors with enough food and happiness there is nothing that can really threaten you as you slowly expand. Essentially the beginning can be very difficult but as long as you don't push for the win too early the win conditions are kind of a joke.

There is also caravaneer and it's sequel which are rpg trading games where you travel around a post apocalyptic world trading with cities. Loved playing that game though I never managed to finish the first one and the second one I'm not even close on finishing.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes, Caravaneer, specially the #2, was quite good too.
    Rifle all the way, for me. One shot, one kill.

Other games....
    A good one, technically speaking, was "Decision: Medieval".
    Your medieval knight, upgradable with skills and feats, going to hunt zombies, orcs and trolls. A lot of eyecandy too (and some explosions... in a medieval setting... whatever ) but personally, after some missions, I found it tedious, even if there were new enemies and ultra powerful feats.

In the tower defence group there were the "Cursed Treasure" games. Very good, AFAIR. Specially the #2. And another series I cannot remember at the moment which was quite good too and quite similar.

Then the "King's League" games (team management with heroes levelling up).

And I'll add more if I remember more. :D

No good memories for the multiplayer group, instead, for me.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Card Hunter on Kongregate was surprisingly good. I was originally turned away by the mistag "collectable card game" but, in action, it's a turn based RPG with really incredible challenge (unless you've above the power curve) and some good dungeons and dragons humor. The cards are determined by your equipment and simply used as a mechanic instead of dice. Works really well.
    "I speak with a voice that will never move others, I speak with a passion that will never be heard." - Kreia, KOTOR II

"I must remind them of the drama of it all." - V, V for Vendetta

Well, what's it goin' tae be, lads? Shall ay fid'le th' fid'le er fid'le yer innards?

Spoiler: GitP published Homebrew
    Show
    WARPATHS (PEACH, WIPish): Pathfinder centered martial class boost

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I am thinking of recording an RPG I found called Mardek

It's on Kongregate and I only played the beginning, is it any good?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: Mardek
    Show
    Yes, the Mardek series is very good, but my recommendation comes with some caveats.

First, the developer originally planned on making eight games, but only the first three got made, and it looks highly unlikely that any more ever will. Chapters 2 and 3 are fairly self contained, but there's still a lot of unresolved plot threads at the end of Chapter 3.

Second, the gameplay relies on traditional JRPG turn based combat and random encounters. There is a reaction system with timed button presses to activate various effects, but the timing on this never really changes, so it doesn't add much excitement to the combat in the long run. However, even if you have an allergy to JRPG style "stand in a line and take turns whacking at each other" combat like I do, it's not quite as obnoxious as other members of the genre. It's possible to get through the main story without doing any grinding, and there aren't any 'overworld encounters' that force you to constantly get into random fights while backtracking.

So what positive things do I have to say about the series? The graphics are very good for a flash game, with a lot of variety in scenery design for all the different areas you go to, and well done monster and character graphics. Animations for attacks and spells are nice, too. The music is also very good, and not just 'for a flash game'. But what really drew me into the series was the writing and humor. Most of the characters are quite memorable, having interesting mannerisms and traits without being solely defined by just a quirk or two. The humor does a good job of poking fun at JRPG tropes, although it can be a touch cynical.

Overall, I would recommend playing Mardek, if you're not too put off by the fact that it doesn't have a real ending. There's still about 8 hours of content in Chapter 2, and 20 or more hours in Chapter 3.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Amorphous+ yet. It's an action game about fighting various types of slime monsters, called 'glooples', with a gigantic sword. What I love the most is all the different interactions capable between the various game elements. You'll see what I mean if you play it. It can be found on Kongregate or Armor Games.

Phoenotopia is also really good. It's a side-scrolling action rpg on Newgrounds. Great environments, good music, and solid gameplay.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks Walrus

I will be happy without a real ending, but my brother/co-commentator might not be happy

He was furious at the end of Sinjid: Shadow of the Warrior

If you want to see that, click the link in the signature

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Im a fan of the idle games, Trimps, Swarm Simulator, Realm Grinder, Undead Clicker, stuff like that. Mostly the first three, Undead Clicker seems to have a really steep climb. Adventure captialist is good too, but I am a bit burned out on the cookie clicker style of idle games. Island settler is pretty good. Honestly, just type in idle games on your search bar, pick the kongregate link and go nuts. There are a lot of good ones there.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im a fan of the idle games, Trimps, Swarm Simulator, Realm Grinder, Undead Clicker, stuff like that. Mostly the first three, Undead Clicker seems to have a really steep climb. Adventure captialist is good too, but I am a bit burned out on the cookie clicker style of idle games. Island settler is pretty good. Honestly, just type in idle games on your search bar, pick the kongregate link and go nuts. There are a lot of good ones there.
    Yes, but this if for a YouTube channel, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to watch me play Cookie Clicker

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Yes, but this if for a YouTube channel, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to watch me play Cookie Clicker
    "Im gonna click it again!!! Im gonna click it again!! IM GONNA CLICK IT AGAIN!!!!" I dunno, could be amusing.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

"Im gonna click it again!!! Im gonna click it again!! IM GONNA CLICK IT AGAIN!!!!" I dunno, could be amusing.
    Would you subscribe if I played cookie clicker?

Would you watch any other videos?

This isn't rhetorical, I'm actually asking these questions

25. - Top - End - #25

Nah, ive never been a fan of lets play videos of any sort too be honest. I just missed that part from your original post and suggested my favorite flash games.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Nah, ive never been a fan of lets play videos of any sort too be honest. I just missed that part from your original post and suggested my favorite flash games.
    That's understandable, I appreciate you sharing you comments, and the I'm clicking one is kind of funny

Reminds me of another oddly funny comment...

yes...

Chinese Pokemon

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

No Flash (but is played in a browser) and it doesn't get much more old school than this, but see thesingularitytrap.com

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

The Deep Sleep, Deeper Sleep and Deepest Sleep. I think that's what they are called at least.
    Awesome point and click game.

Seconding the Rebuild games. They were fun.

There are two platformer called Spewn(or similar, basically you are a experiment that uses puke to solve puzzles) and the portal flashgame are quite good.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzman View Post
    The Deep Sleep, Deeper Sleep and Deepest Sleep. I think that's what they are called at least.
    Awesome point and click game.

Seconding the Rebuild games. They were fun.

There are two platformer called Spewn(or similar, basically you are a experiment that uses puke to solve puzzles) and the portal flashgame are quite good.
    I saw Game Grumps play spewer, and it seems like a fun game, I'll check out the deep sleep series too, thanks

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

I love browser games. Unfortunately good ones seem to be becoming less common. I think Steam Greenlight is drawing away developers.