New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Fallout Thread III: Preston Garvey Demands BLOOD!

Here we are, at the third thread discussing the Fallout games. Mostly the recently-released Fallout 4, but all Fallout chatter is welcome!

Link to prior thread.

And the one before it.

Previously under discussion:

Idiot Savant or high Intelligence? Maths!
    Chems, how awesome are they? Very!
    Veronica is great, and goes well with a Ballistic Fist and a dress
    Truth resists simplicity.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Fallout Thread III: Preston Garvey Demands BLOOD!

New Thread? Duly noted, Now back to playing
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Yah new thread!!!!!!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    Soo.... Who else is rocking 1 Intelligence and Idiot Savant?
    Minmaxers ran the numbers and it turned out Int 3 or 4 with IS is the most XP overall. I made a character with Idiot Savant and Party Boy, so I can get Science! but also lower my Intelligence by 2 whenever I feel like it! I'm a drunken pillar of strength and skill!

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Now she just needs a Ballistic Fist.
    I gave Veronica the unique version of the Displacer Gauntlet. It was the best thing ever.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    Minmaxers ran the numbers and it turned out Int 3 or 4 with IS is the most XP overall. I made a character with Idiot Savant and Party Boy, so I can get Science! but also lower my Intelligence by 2 whenever I feel like it! I'm a drunken pillar of strength and skill!
    If I remember, the best was Low int + Idiot Savant, unless you had 15+ Int. [I've got a legendary crafting mod, I'm slowly making all my power armor pieces give me int bonuses.]
    However, if Idiot Savant doesn't count points above 10 for dropping off how often it activates, then 12 or more+Idiot savant is probably the best bet...
    That said, you'd need 10+Int Bobby Head+Uskana Hat or 10Internal Database Powerarmor if you want 12+ int and actual armor.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

That's odd, not the numbers I came up with. As far as I could tell, Idiot Savant 2 gets more xp at Int 1 than anything less than int int 15 or so.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Found a Ted reference.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the bathroom of Backstreet Apparel, on the toilet is a Teddybear, wearing glasses and reading a copy of the Boston Bugle.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    Speaking of which, I know what I'll try when I get to Red Rocket next time (I'm presently with the railroad, and brought Curie along for brownie points). I'll use the tcl console command to get to the roof, as I figure stair placement will be easier if I'm placing from the roof instead of from the ground. Has anyone else tried this?
    I just place the stairs against the back wall (near the cooking station), one "floor" piece attached to that and then the small "3 steps" on that. You still have to so a small hop to get onto the roof, but it works better than anything else I've tried, costs fewer resources, and doesn't require a console command.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

My FO3 game crashed in my favor! I reached the Flooded Metro from the west (heading to the library) at night where I always see a trio of wastlanders gathered around a trashcan fire for warmth. Well instead their bodies were piled up like a pyramid by the can and there were landmines all about. I figured this must be a random encounter spot and this is the first time it picked something that wasn't the wastelanders.

I go to grab the landmines for free xp and caps, but the option to interact didn't come up. It exploded in my face, te bodies flew up into orbit and the game crashed. O.o

Uh... okay. Weird. So I reload (thankfully I saved recently) and made my way back to the Flooded Metro. I see a green explosion above me and it begins raining bright blue little canisters and radiation. Yup, got the Firelance! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Fallout 4*2: Do Synths Dream of Electric Brahmin?
    I know it's past voting, but I would have voted the heck out of this one.

Oh, I did make it to the library without further incident, until I caused one. Okay, across the street from the library is a parking lot and then a building tat usually has 1-2 raiders in it, along with boobytraps and some locked safes. Well, from the steps of the library entrance I pulled out my scoped .44 and decided to take a shot at the raider pacing around. My gun skill is 54, and this guy's head is about 2-3 pixels wide on my screen because of the long distance.

*Bang* non-VATS headshot kill in one try. XD

Oh and I leveled up to 14.

See, this is why I need that computer upgrade. I need to record these amazing moments of hilarious luck!
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I gave Veronica the unique version of the Displacer Gauntlet. It was the best thing ever.
    I don't have that, so I might give her a superheated saturnite fist.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    That's odd, not the numbers I came up with. As far as I could tell, Idiot Savant 2 gets more xp at Int 1 than anything less than int int 15 or so.
    Are you factoring in that Intelligence continues to boost the amount of XP gained, even when IS procs?
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, I ended up rebooting my FO4 playthrough a bit back, just cause there were so many things I realized I could be doing more efficiently, especially settlement management. Biggest thing I'm doing this time is writing off most of the silly farms all over the place (though no one tell our resident Khornite please. *glances around nervously for Preston*). If a "rescue the farm" quest comes up I'll do it for the XP, and so I can have more Adhesive work camps (no one is allowed to grow anything except Corn, Mutfruit and Tatos), but once the quest is done I'll scrap anything scrappable around their property, slap down 3 heavy MG turrets so they stop complaining about being vulnerable, make sure they have a food supply of 12 (6 corn, 6 mutfruit, 6 tatos) and a few water pumps, then just ignore them.

The only settlements that have gotten supply lines or any noticeable amount of work done far are Sanctuary, Starlight, the Castle and Finch Farm (they got lucky by being out in the middle of nowhere so they'll get a little more attention for now if only so I have an operating base when other quests or stuff take me out that way [though I'll likely reroute the supply route to the coast once I grab one of the properties out that way]).

The other thing I've been doing with my settlements this time (at least the ones I care about) is with my settlers is playing dress-up so I can tell what everyone's job is at a glance and easily ID new settlers who need assigning. The default outfit for settlers is hereby decreed to be road leathers (just because you get so many from raiders). Guards get Minutemen outfits. Shopkeepers get pre-war stuff (dresses, suits, stuff like that). Scrappers get leather chest pieces. And my provisioners get to be postal employees (provided I can keep finding enough uniforms. Really need to get upgraded clothing stores running in my towns to help with that).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Got the last price of X-O1 Armor, now all are Mark VI. Still with Tesla coils at the moment though, its so nice not to have to worry about finding the half dozen little rad roaches that are attacking you.

I had the Targeting system for the Helmet but switched it out, didn't like that everyone was constantly highlighted.

There is never enough adhesive!
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    Got the last price of X-O1 Armor, now all are Mark VI. Still with Tesla coils at the moment though, its so nice not to have to worry about finding the half dozen little rad roaches that are attacking you.

I had the Targeting system for the Helmet but switched it out, didn't like that everyone was constantly highlighted.

There is never enough adhesive!
    I use a targeting helmet and a recon helmet. Only use the targeting one when I know I'm going into an area where everything needs to die. It can cause weird bugs like making certain thing agro you even if they are normally not aggressive. It can really break some quests (or force you to kill people in quests). Still when just wandering around it's great for picking up things that are REALLY far from you, especially at night.

The only other issue I have is I hotkeyed them both but I lose the hotkey to whichever one is equipped when I get out of my power armor (since it's not in my inventory). I have an armored fedora hotkeyed too that I can switch to and then get out of my armor, but I almost always forget to do that :P

15. - Top - End - #15

Garvey cares not from where the blood flows, only that it flows...

So does every individual model of power armor have it's own magazine to unlock different paint schemes? I just found out that the only power armor model I can do up in Minuteman colors is the T-45, but my current go-to set is a mix of T-51 pieces.

I mean, sure, I almost never actually use it, but I just kinda liked the idea of this big hulking Minuteman showing up in power armor for the jobs where I really need it. "Ready at a minute's notice, but this is what happens if we need two or three."

16. - Top - End - #16

I think I found one of the only smart raiders in the wasteland. Went into a raider nest with a stealthboy active and proceeded to sneak-attack everyone. After about three kills the rest got wise to an intruder and started running around looking for me. I killed two more before they could pinpoint my location. The last raider decided to just chuck grenades into the room indiscriminately. XD

Clever girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    Only use the targeting one when I know I'm going into an area where everything needs to die. It can cause weird bugs like making certain thing agro you even if they are normally not aggressive. It can really break some quests (or force you to kill people in quests).
    That's an odd bug. O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    I mean, sure, I almost never actually use it, but I just kinda liked the idea of this big hulking Minuteman showing up in power armor for the jobs where I really need it. "Ready at a minute's notice, but this is what happens if we need two or three."
    Well, Minuteman is the name of a land-launched ICBM system...
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garvey cares not from where the blood flows, only that it flows...

So does every individual model of power armor have it's own magazine to unlock different paint schemes? I just found out that the only power armor model I can do up in Minuteman colors is the T-45, but my current go-to set is a mix of T-51 pieces.

The pain jobs on power armor are locked to certain sets:
    minuteman is only for the T-45
    Railroad -> T-51
    Atom Cats and BOS -> T-60
    Institute -> X-01

The magazines are flames, pink and shark but should work on all of them.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by sana View Post
    The pain jobs on power armor are locked to certain sets:
    minuteman is only for the T-45
    Railroad -> T-51
    Atom Cats and BOS -> T-60
    Institute -> X-01

The magazines are flames, pink and shark but should work on all of them.
    Ah. That's exactly what I was afraid of, actually. I kinda like the Minuteman paintjob.

Ah well.

19. - Top - End - #19

Ah. That's exactly what I was afraid of, actually. I kinda like the Minuteman paintjob.
    I'm sure mods will come out to expand the paint jobs to all suits soon.

Although, I want to run around in a Buzz Lightyear color scheme.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I'm sure mods will come out to expand the paint jobs to all suits soon.

Although, I want to run around in a Buzz Lightyear color scheme.
    ...that just reminded me that I left Danse in that police station after doing his very first mission.

Dude's been sitting there, waiting for me to come back, for months.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Are you factoring in that Intelligence continues to boost the amount of XP gained, even when IS procs?
    The Game Breaker Page for Fallout on TVtropes says that Int 10 with idiot Savant averages out to just slightly higher than int one with idiot savant.

So basically go high or go low but don't stay in the middle.

(Back to lurking)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #22

Ooooh, I was unaware that there was an institute paint job. Does it automatically unlock, like the BOS and Minutemen do once you join their factions?
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Ooooh, I was unaware that there was an institute paint job. Does it automatically unlock, like the BOS and Minutemen do once you join their factions?
    Yes, and it grants +1 Int on a complete job.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

In my mod hunts (I was averse to modding before Skyrim (mostly because of fear of breaking something), now it's opposite), I discovered a mod that allows Institute Paint on any kind of power armor. Apparently, the Institute Paint is limited to a few?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The Game Breaker Page for Fallout on TVtropes says that Int 10 with idiot Savant averages out to just slightly higher than int one with idiot savant.

So basically go high or go low but don't stay in the middle.

(Back to lurking)
    While there's still some variability in what the exact numbers are, middle or stupidly (13ish+int) high int beats both 1 and 10 with idiot savant.

Int 1 = 100% XP. IS rank 2 = 10% (or maybe 11) chance of 5x XP. So, 90% regular XP + 10% 5x XP = 140% XP on average
    Int 4 = 110% XP. IS rank 2 = 7% chance of 5x XP. So 93% chance of 110%, 7% chance of 550% = 140.8% XP on average
    Int 10 = 130% XP. IS rank 2 = 1% chance of 5x XP. So 99% chance of 130%, 1% chance of 650% = 135.2% XP on average

If the base rate is 11%, then Int 4 = 8% and Int 10 = 2%, making the numbers 144%, 145.2% and 140.4%. Either way, Stupidly high int > Int 4 > Int 1 > Int 10. So it's stay in the middle or pump int like there's no tomorrow.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I'd like to have my power armor look like the Iron Man Mk. I that he cobbled up out of a box of scraps.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

27. - Top - End - #27
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

I hit the cap of how much the game will let me build in Sanctuary... and just as I was starting to build an awesome mansion for myself!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I keep getting sidetracked.
    I am trying to do Nick's quest so I can switch to Curie and storm the Fort.

But now I need to find more leather for an upgrade and then to get that Silver outfit...
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

So, I think I may have found my first legendary last night shortly before bedtime. I don't remember the exact name but it was General Something's Something Sword, had 36 damage, does +50% damage to machines, and had a start after its name. I'll try to remember to get the specifics when I get home but it looks quite nice.

Of COURSE I found it on my sniper-using Nerd build with 3 strength

UPDATE: General Chao's Revenge, apparently it's always sold by that merchant. Oh well, it's still a nice pickup and I know EXACTLY where I'm coming with my Amazon build once she has enough caps
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2015-12-11 at 01:14 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    So, I think I may have found my first legendary last night shortly before bedtime. I don't remember the exact name but it was General Something's Something Sword, had 36 damage, does +50% damage to machines, and had a start after its name. I'll try to remember to get the specifics when I get home but it looks quite nice.

Of COURSE I found it on my sniper-using Nerd build with 3 strength
    I'm level 40 something with a 4 Strength and that has been my main Weapon ever since I got it. Get Big Leagues up a few ranks, put on Power Armor, and go duel Deathclaws.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.