New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Diablo III: Don't Forget To Eat Today

So, I have the game for PS4. And I come here for some build Advice.

I'm thinking of doing a Monk. Whatever class, I wan to be able to do 3 things well.

1: Heal party members. Ideally, in and out of combat.

2: Buff Party Members, again, ideally, in and out of combat.

3: Crowd Control, blocking off or mowing down rapidly the smaller fodder monsters to make it easy for the rest of a party to focus on the big guy were fighting.

Can any of the classes do all three things, and if so, which one, and how should I go about building them for those three tasks?
    "I Burn!"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

1. Not a thing in this game.

2. Crusader

3. Every class has some degree of crowd control, with the Demon Hunter being particularly good about it.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, that's, odd, I could swear the Monk could do healing. Is it self only for them or something?

That said, Sounds Like I'll be stating up a Crusader.
    "I Burn!"

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Monks have a self healing ability that has a rune to extend that healing to party members the Monk is close to. It's a decent amount of healing too, but the ability has a long cooldown (15 seconds?). It's not viable at higher torments, but it is fun to do it at lower levels and say, "Saved your life!"

Monks also get Mantras for the buffs thing.

And yeah, everyone gets CC.

I'm biased towards Monks, but Crusader will probably be just as fun.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Crusader it is then. Next question, what skills should I be investing in and how much, and what stats should I be investing in and how much?
    "I Burn!"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

You don't directly increase skill ranks or stats the way you did in Diablo II. You get equal access to all skills (gated by level) and can swap them out whenever you're not fighting (there's a option in the menu to allow assigning any active skill to any active slot, otherwise they're category locked) with the caveat that a few kinds of skills allow only one from that category. Just try them all and use whatever seems most effective.

The only way to change stats is via equipment, and a Crusader should be focusing on +Str (for damage multiplication) and +Vit (for more HP). Both +Int (boosts resistances) and +Dex (increases dodge chance) are useful, but only as bonus abilities.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Woo, got a third piece of Firebirds for my wife's wizard. I was trying my luck with Kadala and happened to get the amulet. Happy holidays to me!
    Frolic and dance for joy often.
    Be determined in your ventures.
    -KAB

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought they ditched dodge chance? Doesn't Dex just give Armor now too?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    I thought they ditched dodge chance? Doesn't Dex just give Armor now too?
    Aye. Made my monk MUCH more consistently tanky.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Monk and Crusader have very different playstyles, despite being fairly similar (holy warriors who fight in melee). The Crusader is a Tank, built around being tough and in the mix and punching people in the face; it's about being in the thick of the fight and drawing aggro. The Monk is comparatively squishier feeling and its style of play is more about hit and run, jumping in, blowing your CDs, and then jumping out, usually leaving the enemy drawn together or scattered about. Note that I am not an expert on high torment play and merely commenting on my experiences playing a Monk and Crusader.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

We've been playing RoS (PS3) on T3 for some time now with our variety of characters - our highest characters are level 70 with about 60-80 paragon levels.

What we're finding difficult is getting over the hump to be effective in T4. We're just not generating enough damage so enemies are taking forever and a day to defeat.

Playing on T3 we've been item hunting running our parties with as much + to magic item find as we can muster to hopefully find some gear that'll help us out.

Any suggestions on other things we should be doing in general?
    -KAB

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

What are your builds?

I wasn't getting into T4 regularly until I got Paragon 160. The points help, but it was more about finding a few more pieces for my build along with adding life per hit in.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Build and current gear matter a lot; do they have a profiler thing for PS3 accounts?

Something I noticed about progressing up through torments is to match your build with your gear. If you don't have anything buffing Companion for DH, then it might be a better idea to use something else (for example). If you have, say, Cloak of the Garwulf, then it suddenly becomes a much better skill.

A few big "things": getting a decent/socketed RoRG from A1 bounties (assuming console adventure mode is the same as PC) and 2 pieces of the Aughild's set (usually bracer + shoulder). You get damage reduction and increased elite damage from those, and RoRGs will make future sets much easier to complete. If you have access to them, legendary gems help immensely - especially Mirinae + Wreath of Lightning + Pain Enhancer (if you can fit 3) for melee types. For ranged, it's a bit more nebulous; I use Zei's and Bane of the Powerful on my DH, for the damage buffs.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2014-12-31 at 02:25 AM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    What are your builds?

I wasn't getting into T4 regularly until I got Paragon 160. The points help, but it was more about finding a few more pieces for my build along with adding life per hit in.
    Aye, we do try to match our builds / gear as much as we can, for example taking advantage of re-enchanting a property on an item as needed. For example, my witch doctor is a poison build and I try to use gear that pumps that up.

Hmm, we have only about half the paragon levels you mentioned, so maybe some more paragon levels will eventually help out too.

Thanks!
    -KAB

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Build and current gear matter a lot; do they have a profiler thing for PS3 accounts?

Something I noticed about progressing up through torments is to match your build with your gear. If you don't have anything buffing Companion for DH, then it might be a better idea to use something else (for example). If you have, say, Cloak of the Garwulf, then it suddenly becomes a much better skill.

A few big "things": getting a decent/socketed RoRG from A1 bounties (assuming console adventure mode is the same as PC) and 2 pieces of the Aughild's set (usually bracer + shoulder). You get damage reduction and increased elite damage from those, and RoRGs will make future sets much easier to complete. If you have access to them, legendary gems help immensely - especially Mirinae + Wreath of Lightning + Pain Enhancer (if you can fit 3) for melee types. For ranged, it's a bit more nebulous; I use Zei's and Bane of the Powerful on my DH, for the damage buffs.
    Hmm, sometimes I do have difficulty sorting out info about the game as to what is available on the PS3 vs the PC version that a lot more folks seem to play.

We've been doing A1 bounties on T3 to try to find a RoRG, but no luck yet - though we've probably only done 50 or so of those bounty runs. Well keep looking.

We haven't seen any legendary gems (or potions) yet. I'm wondering ... Are those usually found in the deeper levels of the rifts? We've only been going into the rifts far enough to kill the rift guardian.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Kerrin; 2014-12-31 at 01:13 PM.
    -KAB

16. - Top - End - #136
    Spamalot in the Playground

Season 1 ending, here's what to expect.

Honestly, unless they make the seasonal legendaries extremely tantalizing I see no point in bothering with the mode for S2. None of them were even close to being game-changers the way that ladder-only runewords were in D2, and even if they have every season 2 legendary/set become BiS, none of that will justify the time spent re-farming artisans, paragon and lesser gear to obtain them. Seasons simply don't work the way Ladder did in D2, and they certainly aren't needed either.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrin View Post
    We haven't seen any legendary gems (or potions) yet. I'm wondering ... Are those usually found in the deeper levels of the rifts? We've only been going into the rifts far enough to kill the rift guardian.
    Legendary gems are only dropped by the guardians of greater rifts.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Legendary gems are only dropped by the guardians of greater rifts.
    So far I don't recall seeing anything called a "greater rift" while playing on our PS3 at T3 just a "rift". Do "greater rifts" exist in the PS3 version? Where are they found?
    -KAB

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

So far I don't recall seeing anything called a "greater rift" while playing on our PS3 at T3 just a "rift". Do "greater rifts" exist in the PS3 version? Where are they found?
    Run through a Rift, kill the Rift Guardian, and you get something like a Runestone of Trials. Use THAT in the pylon thing, and you get your Greater Rift.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

20. - Top - End - #140

Greater Rifts are available to PS4 and XB1. I'm not sure if last-gen got the update too. My understanding is that PS3 and 360 are on a slower patch cycle and may possibly not even get some updates at all.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Starting up a stream now where I finish leveling my Season Barbarian up to 70 to unlock the transmog. Come check it out at: http://www.twitch.tv/gocorral

22. - Top - End - #142

Just successfully farmed my first RRoG on my wizard. I also completed my Vyr's set and got 3 pieces of Tals - with the ring, enough to gain the full bonuses from both sets. Once I've gemmed up to full Flawless Royals in all of them and upgraded my belt, I'll feel more comfortable running T5, and start making possible forays into T6 on this character.

One annoyance I hadn't anticipated - due to the inability to remap the full Archon skills, I had to move my teleport in human form to the same button as the teleport in Archon form to avoid accidents. Fortunately, farming Act 1 bounties for the ring gave me plenty of opportunity to retrain my muscle-memory.

For the curious, here's my skill setup: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...QO!bdVS!YYbbZc
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #143
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You haven't found enough pieces of the firebird set? That and augilds set are the two easiest routes to t6.

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    You haven't found enough pieces of the firebird set? That and augilds set are the two easiest routes to t6.
    I have full firebirds. But (1) everyone and their mother uses firebird and my inner Johnny wants me to do my own thing, (2) lightning is central to my build and playstyle, (3) I have other fire damage characters and the Vorthos in me wants unique elements for each one if I can, and finally (4) birds is getting nerfed next patch anyway so I don't want to get too dependent on it even if it is BiS.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #145
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

http://www.diablofans.com/builds/293...l-rasha-vyr-t6
    If you insist on lightning, you can still cram augulds set in there as the build above shows. Since defense above a certain amount isn't needed, at some point u can change your armor to storm armor.
    Any reason why you aren't going elements exposure? Its half the reason to go tals. The starpact is just gravy. I'm guessing you don't have gals amulet.

26. - Top - End - #146

Oh I have nothing against Aughild at all, it's Firebird I'm avoiding. I actually just switched from Storm to Force and the additional defense has been helpful so I'll need better gems/gear before I think of changing it back. (Also I'm not running Blur so I'm a bit squishier without FA than the linked build, though again paralysis is an active defense that reduces my incoming damage considerably.)

For the ammy I currently run a +Lightning Ess of Johan. The vacuum effect + paralysis makes me a great support and solo player, and also makes handling multiple elite packs even more of a breeze. Melee enemies basically can't touch me, even really fast hard-hitting ones like Lacuni and Anarchs - they end up stacked in the corner, standing on their heads and drooling

I am single-element (minus the familiar, which is there for nigh-infinite primary and to add a little extra damage in Archon form) so Elemental Exposure doesn't do much for me. All the skills I run continue to function in Archon form, thus for me Black Hole is a waste of space (and Ess does the same thing for free anyway.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Yippee, found our first RoRG today, in Act IV of all places. No socket, but at least one of our characters can now wear multiple overlapping sets.

Onward into danger!
    -KAB

28. - Top - End - #148

Indeed, Act 4 has no unique cache legendaries of its own but has a chance to roll any of the legs from the other acts (including Act 1, home to the RRoG.)

If you run T4+ Act 1 bounties though, you're nearly guaranteed a legendary from the cache - do enough of them and you will have plenty of RRoGs. Now that I understood that, I have 3 and counting.

Also, since grabbing it my Wizard has been doing quite well in T6. I still need to craft some Aughild's pieces though.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

I have been unable to find a copy of Aughild's plans, for some reason. Is there a particular act they tend to drop in? Currently wearing blackthorns in lieu.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    I have been unable to find a copy of Aughild's plans, for some reason. Is there a particular act they tend to drop in? Currently wearing blackthorns in lieu.
    I got mine so long ago I barely remember, but for a while there I was getting at least 1 plan per run in T4 rifts. I definitely got way more plans in rifts than doing bounties if that helps.

I'm holding off on making mine until I get the tal belt, then I can drop Tals helm for Aughild's helm and shoulders. Then I can get a nemesis bracer and I'll be all set, the perfect offensive support character with three full set bonuses.

I'll add that Paralysis + Ess + Illusionist has been a godsend in T6, especially for escaping those gorram Vortex and {ice} mobs.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-01-05 at 09:50 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy