New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Random Plots and Places 10: Results may not be between 1 and 10

This is a thread for plots not large enough to need a separate thread, or locations that don't fit anywhere else. If you'd like a location permanently indexed in the first post, PM me.

Longer lasting or more serious plots might fit better in the Srs Plots thread. This thread is events that aren't as structured as srs and not as long lasting. If you aren't sure which thread fits your plot best, then just pick whichever one is less busy at the time.

Rules:
    1. Use [Location Tags] or [Plot Tags] on your posts.
    2. Each Location or Plot is under the control of its creator.
    3. Play nice.

Archives:
    Random Places and Plots 1
    Random Places and Plots 2
    Random Places and Plots 3
    Random Places and Plots 4
    Random Places and Plots 5
    Random Places and Plots 6
    Random Places and Plots 7
    Random Places and Plots 8
    Random Plots and Places 9
    Last edited by Gullara; 2014-10-14 at 09:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Random Plots and Places 10: Results may not be between 1 and 10

Grief

The house sets its paw down gently, but doesn't seem willing to move any further. "And if the child doesn't wish to leave? What would you do then?" It asks. It seems to know what they're talking about and all amusement has left its voice as it seems to take this matter seriously.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Noriko looks at her parents and older sister, who smile encouragingly. She looks at her younger sisters, who grin. She looks at Helen...

Then finally, she looks at the prince.

Yes, but not in a hurry: there's a lot for both of us to get over. Stay here with us for a while and get to know us all better, and if you still want to join our crazy family then you're in.

The prince looks immensely relieved

Thank you, my Lady.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Malechenar - Sticks' Quarters]

She moves very much like a snake, which considering her size require a lot of space. It can't be the best way to move really. "Oh, alright! At least you get to see everything again right?" Zareen says as she moves closer to the portal, looking at it curiously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Malechenar - Sticks' Quarters]

"Of course, Sticks. We're ready whenever you are." Vax nods to their two guards and they step into the room proper in preparation to leave. "There's nothing else we need to do."
    "I'm afraid it won't be prudent to leave the vault, once you have it secured. It seems this is the very last time I'll see this particular study, and to be quite honest, I won't miss it very much," the tall man admits. "Now. Stand by. Once you're through, my voice will follow you, but I go no further than this threshold." Though the cowardice in his words corrodes his very lips, he's well used to it by now, and Ryhe promised he wouldn't have to go himself.

The tall man takes up his staff and slams it's bottom against the ground. At this signal his sinister runes turn to light, like oil before a flame, and they throw up a ghastly yellow glow. The particles filling the air, like little fairies, turn the same powerful color.

With the power of his mind, Sticks pulls the door open. There's a snap as the Sending locks into place, what was a crowded darkness fading into a peaceful library scene.

Should the two practitioners step through with their men, they'll be met with the sight of a study shaped more like a hallway than a proper wizard's abode. It's a relatively thin, long room, a canyon of precariously piled papers. A few strange, curious instruments poke out from the frayed white mess, metal mostly in their composition, oddly shaped doodads lined up amidst the other nonsense. At one end of the room is a grand desk, the only grand thing about the place, huge and dark, rich brown in color. Every compartment is stuffed with rot-ridden books.

A fine layer of dust has made it's home... well, everywhere. Should the two ladies or their accompaniment look behind them, they'll find that they've just stepped free of what was probably Sticks closet door, or the entrance to a storeroom.

To their right, there is a window further down the length of the thin room, and beyond that a door presumably to the palace beyond in the center of the far wall, opposite Sticks grand desk.

"Now..." Sticks' voice drifts timidly from behind them. It's perfectly clear - the portal has been aligned masterfully. There's no watery layer or glowing film between the two frayed ends of space-time. Not even any uncomfortable sensations as you step through. How pleasant. It's as though the two rooms were very truly right beside one another.

"I'm afraid you'll have to close the door, to retrieve the totem. It's hung on a hook there, do you see?" And truly, a small, tribal item dangles on the front of the closet door that's swung out into the room. It seems to be made of some black stone and what looks like dried pieces of straw, but it's difficult to make out. The sending totem is in the shape of a ring. "Once the door is closed, I won't be able to open it unless you attach it to another door. Hopefully a door in the vault. You must be very careful not to lose that totem, ladies and gentlemen."

Sticks has just realized he forgot to learn the names of the two men with Vax and Zareen. How rude of him. He'll have to make every effort to do so once they return. If they do so.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Helen can't help but smile and whisper to Frederick, "I'm glad Noriko decided to give him a chance."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Frederick nods

Me, too. I think she'll be a lot happier that way, and he can put up with her bossing.

Then he realizes that somebody is standing in front of him. Looking up, Noriko and Prince Susano are grinning at the pair. Frederick wonders if the Nexus' auto-translate works for the prince, or if all he heard was squeaking.

Prince, this is my daughter Helen and her boyfriend Frederick.

Susano bows politely

A pleasure to meet you Helen, and you as well Frederick.

Frederick bows formally

It is an honor, Sir.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Helen bows as well and says, "Indeed, Sir. It is an honor to meet you."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

The mighty dragon clears his throats...

Friends, family, honoured guests: if you would all now please make your way to the dining room. Dinner is about to be served.

Everyone starts to file out, and Orochi transforms back to the semblance of a human and walks out with Chiyoko

Noriko takes Susano's proffered arm, then smiles at Helen and Frederick

Shall we go?

and the pair heads off. Frederick leans over to whisper

Did you see that?! She took his arm?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Helen smiles as she walks with Frederick and whispers, "Of course she did. What did you expect?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Frederick's ears flick down in embarrassment

I guess I thought she'd be more... assertive?

Noriko's scent and body language are still that of nervousness.

The grand dining room is not so grand after the main hall, but it's still impressive to have a single table large enough for quite so many people. With Helen officially Noriko's daughter she and Frederick one of the coveted spots next to the new couple. The dinner itself is elaborate and elegant and I'm really tired of describing food for a while, so I'm gonna skip it.

Tsukiko is chatting with Tamamo, and the three other younger ninetails are still trying to get Frederick's attention without much success. The "grown ups" are all talking about old times and grand-children and the incompetency of newer divine beings. It seems the Shinto pantheon still doesn't really like the Celestial Bureaucracy all that much, even if they cooperate these days.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Helen eats her fill, chatting with Frederick about various things, and simply letting the party wash over her. She's quite out of her depths and doesn't want to offend anyone, so she doesn't really initiate conversation with anyone other than Freddy, though.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi - Banquet]

Susanoo smiles at Helen

I hear that you took part in a battle against Tenjin. What happened?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Helen smiles back nervously and says, "Not much on my part...I mostly ran around in a circle and then stabbed a demon in the back when it wasn't looking at me..."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

The prince smiles

You had shed your might armor and thought battle was done, and then were most unexpectedly attacked! And you all did that when all seemed lost, striking with a sacred weapon from your goddess and saving the day! Your friend struck through with a deadly blade, and all this in an uncertain place... this is a family I will be proud to join!

Frederick grins

You could do a lot worse, prince Susano.

The prince smirks

And you'd be hard pressed to do better - but your family stands tall no matter what happens: just like me! And you have quietly been a champion in your own way, Frederick - I know what you did for your sister at the Collegium, and I approve.

Frederick's ears fold down... obviously being around gods meant that things he thought were secret were just plain... not.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Helen blushes and her ears fold just a little, embarrassed, and she says, "Thank you, Prince Susanoo. I am proud to impress you." She looks at Frederick inquisitively, but says nothing, allowing Susanoo to respond.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Susano smiles

Thank you, Helen.

Frederick looks at both, then sighs

I have a twin sister named Katherine... named in honor of our great-grandmother. We both have a similar affinity for magic, and were both accepted to the Grey Elven school, the Collegium Arcanum: the oldest and most prestigious school of magic on the world of Erda.

The elves were ... awful.... my sister was attacked by a group of young students. They didn't know I was nearby.

He looks simultaneously proud and sheepish

They all recovered, eventually. It took rather a lot of explaining and divination spells cast on me.

The prince nods

And so I am doing even now, Frederick. I know I have done things that might seem excessive, but I did them to help. ANd yes, I did more than was perhaps reasonable... but it was all I knew at the time.

Frederick nods in turn

I... yes, I understand.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Helen smiles and hugs Frederick as she says, "You're worried about that? If your sister was attacked in the way I think she was, you absolutely did the right thing. Recovery isn't good enough for them, even."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Frederick smiles

Thanks, sweetie

Dinner finishes up, and Orochi stands

In honor of our new treaty, and now the bethrothal of our children, I have arranged for a grand ball in the great hall! Many guests are arriving even now, and it is time for us to head that way as well.

Frederick grins

Well... he certainly knows how to throw a party, doesn't he?

Noriko nods and chuckles

Oh, yes: Dad doesn't believe in doing anything half-way

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Helen nods and says, "Indeed. I can't wait to see who else will be here though," as she follows Frederick and Noriko.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi - Great Hall]

And back to the great hall they go!

The enormous room has been decorated while the families were at dinner, and a fairly sizeable orchestra has set up on the end opposite Orochi's grand dais. As for the host, he resumes his draconic form: an ironclad excuse to not dance.
    Chiyoko, however, mingles and dances.

A sizeable quantity of shadow-folk from the surrounding city have come. There is also one of Sunder's unicorn-ponies that Helen and Frederick probably have seen hanging around the temple: her name is Dark Dreams, and she is standing somewhat uncomfortably off to the side.

The orchestra plays a few notes, and people quickly find partners. Noriko chuckles

It's going to be like ninety percent waltzes. You two can take the first couple together, but after that you're going to have to mingle!

No more time! The music begins.

Waltz?!?
    Last edited by Fenric; 2014-10-19 at 06:49 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi - Great Hall]

Helen swallows and meeps, "But...I don't know how to dance..." She looks at Frederick and asks hopefully, "Teach me?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Frederick gently takes her right hand with his left and puts his right on Helen's waist.

Put your left hand up on my shoulder. It's a human thing, so I'm supposed to be leading. What that means is that that I'm supposed to keep us from running into other people, because you'll be walking backwards most of the time. I'll turn you gently, just go with it.

There's a proper form for moving your feet: Step back with your right foot, then step back and to the left with your left foot, then bring them together. Then reverse: step forward and to the right with your right foot, then forward with your left foot, then bring them together. If all the steps are the same length, you'll be back where you started. The music has a steady and distinct three-beat measure: do half the box each time.

The first one is not too fast, but the time for standing still has past!

Ready?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Helen nods, swallows, and says, "I think so." And, as the music starts, she slowly starts dancing, though she is quite frankly awful. For one, she continually tries to lead, more unconsciously than anything else, and because of this, she keeps stepping on Frederick's toes. No doubt he'll be hobbled by the end of the first song.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Frederick tries to be helpful!

Right, left, together. Left, right, together. No, you go backwards. Pardon us!

The first song finishes up only to have the prince tap Frederick on the shoulder.

May I?

Frederick sighs ever so softly - it is impolite to refuse.

Of course.

He steps aside and Susano takes Helen's hand. He winks

Don't worry... this is my second dance ever, too.

Frederick is immediately glomed onto by Keiko

Yay!
    Hello, Princess Keiko...

The music begins again, a little faster this time.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2014-10-20 at 10:19 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Helen's eyes widen as Susano takes her hand and silently prays, OhcraphelpmeNoriko, but says aloud, "I-I see, Price Susano." As the music begins, Helen does dance better, mostly due to abject terror than anything else.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

A Little Boy's Grief

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Grief

The house sets its paw down gently, but doesn't seem willing to move any further. "And if the child doesn't wish to leave? What would you do then?" It asks. It seems to know what they're talking about and all amusement has left its voice as it seems to take this matter seriously.

"Talk to him,"
    Wes says.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Noriko hears Helen easily enough, but her answer isn't much help

Who's going to help me?! I don't dance...

she's got a shadowy demon-liker person dancing with her now, complete with hooves.

But a few minutes into the song, a murmur starts to rise from near the entrance. People near that end even stop dancing altogether. Whatever the disruption is, it comes toward the area where Helen and the Prince are dancing.

The music falters: a tall, mostly-skeletal woman in a black dress walks out from the crowd. Susano turns and blinks, then bows formally...

Honored Izanami...

The woman speaks

On this day of reconciliations I bethought myself to give my blessings as well, my step-son.

Susano swallows

Thank you

She nods, and heads to the side of the room. On her way, she encounters the unicorn-pony Dark Dreams. But the music resumes and the dancers spring back to motion, hiding that from further view.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Helen's eyes reach new records of wideness as she bows wordlessly to Izanami, left speechless and in shock.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Susano blinks

That's Dad's first wife, Izanami... she created the world we came from, but had a mishap trying to create another god and ended up like that. Dad tried to rescue her, but it didn't go well and she's been secretly and not-so-secretly behind a lot of the feuding ever since. Rumor has it she created Orochi.

(( Continuity note: no, that is not canonical mythology. But Orochi's origins aren't really spelled out, and considering Izanami's threat to kill a thousand people every day it's pretty reasonable that a sizeable portion of the random demons and monsters are all her fault. Hime was strictly speaking a mortal, either, but she is here. ))

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Helen nods, swallows, and whispers, even though Izanami is gone, "Yeah...I've heard the stories." She still seems to be in a state of shock, though she regained control of her vocal chords. Isn't that nice?