New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default What are your go-to third party products for Pathfinder?

I have been wary of third party publishers for years, especially in D&D. I took this prejudice with me into Pathfinder, but after being introduced to Dreamscarred Press and Kobold Press and their excellent sourcebooks, mechanics and campaign material, I have started to gain an interest in third party resources for my campaigns. I even managed to talk my friend into adding psionics to the campaign setting he is writing right now, and I can't wait to play a psion in his game. I have also included Path of War material in my own campaign setting.

So, what are your go to 3pp's?

And on the flip side, which 3pp's are horribly broken and should be avoided at all costs?

EDIT: Though sleeping with a psion would no doubt be wonderful, I decided to add a "p" to avoid any sexual confusion. Hope none of you psion ladies are disappointed!
    Last edited by EisenKreutzer; 2014-10-15 at 05:48 PM.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What are your go-to third party products for Pathfinder?

Dreamscrarredpress is safe. I've had an altercation with them lately, which I am blowing out of proportion to get Bladecaster up to Awakened Blade's level.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

3. - Top - End - #3

Dreamscarred Press belongs to Pf for me and I couldn't imagine playing without it. Other than that I'm generally open to 3rd party though a little wary since some of the stuff is broken or just plain weird.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

There are 3PP besides Dreamscarred Press?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    This all the way. I adore the dreamscarred press content and use it in as many games as I can.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Dreamscarred Press is mandatory to make Pathfinder worth playing.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

This, so bad. ^
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I really like Radiance House's occultist

It is a really good remake of the 3.5 Binder
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

For character options I use Ultimate Psionics, Path of War, and Pact Magic Unbound. I am currently involved in a stare down with Deep Magic, and have been pondering picking up the Midgard Campaign Setting.

For both adventures and bestiaries, Frog God Games is numero uno. Rappan Athuk and Slumbering Tsar are just sheer awesomeness. And the Tome of Horrors monster books will fill you(r party) with dread.
    Fighter/Mage/Thief avatar by Linklele

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Like everyone else, Dreamscarred Press is a staple of my games. Ultimate Psionics is as essential as the CRB as far as I'm concerned.
    Rogue Genius Games has some cool stuff, particularly their Talented line, the Mosaic Mage, the Death Mage, and a few others.
    Rite Publishing and Kobold Press are pretty solid throughout. Rite in particular gets double props for their Ironborn, a much more functional and balanced version of the warforged.
    Little Red Goblin Games occasionally has some things that are so quirky they may not sit right in all campaigns, but the Runesmith, King of the Ring, and Tome of Muntitions are all excellent.
    Alluria Publishing is absolutely the resource for aquatic adventures. Cerulean Seas Campaign Setting and the books in that line are all excellent, with very high quality art and mechanics.
    Legendary Games has some cool stuff, notably their Way of Ki and Meditations of the Ki Mystics. Those are also written by authors who are regular freelancers for Paizo core and adventure path materials.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    For character options I use Ultimate Psionics, Path of War, and Pact Magic Unbound. I am currently involved in a stare down with Deep Magic, and have been pondering picking up the Midgard Campaign Setting.

For both adventures and bestiaries, Frog God Games is numero uno. Rappan Athuk and Slumbering Tsar are just sheer awesomeness. And the Tome of Horrors monster books will fill you(r party) with dread.
    Pact Magic sounds intriguing! Could you tell me a little about it?
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
    Pact Magic sounds intriguing! Could you tell me a little about it?

It has the Occultist, basically the PF version of the Binder from 3.5's Tome of Magic. And archetypes and other materials supporting those mechanics.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    I really like Radiance House's occultist

It is a really good remake of the 3.5 Binder
    To be honest, the numerous dead levels really put me off of the thing.

But yeah, Dreamscarred Press is great. Psionics, ToB and Incarnum are 3 of the best systems in 3.5, and their own additions to the systems are great.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    Like everyone else, Dreamscarred Press is a staple of my games. Ultimate Psionics is as essential as the CRB as far as I'm concerned.
    Easy to say when you work for them.
    Fighter/Mage/Thief avatar by Linklele

15. - Top - End - #15
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilarian View Post
    It has "dead levels" much in the way that the wizard does - namely, it gets so much from its primary schtick (the vestiges/spirits) that adding more to the class table would have either been superfluous or unbalanced it. Trust me though, there's a lot to love there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #16

Aside from the obvious Psionics and Path of War stuff, I've been using Ponyfinder in my most recent campaign, and am loving it. At-will non-magical flight from level 1 is really fun, and has been surprisingly non-game-breaking, at least on my pegasus Sorcerer. Heck, I've been using almost exclusively pony stuff- my bloodline and all the feats I've chosen so far (at level 5) have been from the same book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Blossom View Post
    And then you wrote about it on your livejournal, dyed your hair black and started taking warlock levels.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

I like some of Supergenius Game's stuff for casters, actually. Sure, it makes them more powerful, but also more fun and flexible. Powerful character options are great in low-op games - it's one of the reasons I get pissed at a lot of "Oberoni Fallacy!" stuff being tossed around. I'd rather have something that's fun in the low-op and broken in High-op than something that works at higher op levels while being absolutely boring/worthless in low-op.
    Last edited by Sartharina; 2014-10-15 at 11:51 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Another 3PP I really love that hasn't been mentioned is Adamant's Priest. This is what the Cloistered Cleric and/or Ecclesitheurge should have been.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Can I pop in for a moment and say that I'm really touched and honored by the support for DSP? Thanks guys :D It's been an honor to work with (and for) you and to engage in the open beta process.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I picked up Libram of the First recently. It's pretty cool, but the numbers are a little off - everything seems to be on the low side, especially because things seem mostly not to scale with level. It could be I just haven't really dived into their revamped system enough yet.

I've got Pact Magic Unbound, Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Secrets of Pact Magic, and Villains of Pact Magic (all of Radiance House, though the latter two are 3.5). They're pretty cool, though some of my favorite parts of the 3.5 stuff didn't get carried over (generic spirits in particular). I like their "constellation" system, at the very least.

I think I've mention a couple times that the current party I GM for is an Elan Warlord, a Half Giant Metaforge, a Stalker, and a Tactician (all DSP products). I own practically their whole library, I donated to both their Kickstarters, I playtest their stuff, and I even write a little for them. Yeah, I hit the psionic kool-aid a little hard.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Can I pop in for a moment and say that I'm really touched and honored by the support for DSP? Thanks guys :D It's been an honor to work with (and for) you and to engage in the open beta process.
    You've definitely been a further value-add to an already great crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    I've got Pact Magic Unbound, Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Secrets of Pact Magic, and Villains of Pact Magic (all of Radiance House, though the latter two are 3.5). They're pretty cool, though some of my favorite parts of the 3.5 stuff didn't get carried over (generic spirits in particular). I like their "constellation" system, at the very least.
    How do "generic spirits" work? I confess I only picked up their PF stuff.

I think I've mention a couple times that the current party I GM for is an Elan Warlord, a Half Giant Metaforge, a Stalker, and a Tactician (all DSP products). I own practically their whole library, I donated to both their Kickstarters, I playtest their stuff, and I even write a little for them. Yeah, I hit the psionic kool-aid a little hard.
    Oh trust me, psionic kool-aid is my middle name I remember that first Kickstarter too.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    You've definitely been a further value-add to an already great crew.
    [Blushing intensifies]

And to think, not too long ago we were at each other's throats :p

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

[Blushing intensifies]

If you want, I can go for some throats. I work with kitchen knives for a living.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

First of all, HOLY COW AKASHIC MYSTERIES JUST LAUNCHED. Talk about perfect timing for a thread about 3PP material.

Secondly:

How do "generic spirits" work? I confess I only picked up their PF stuff.
    They're low on fluff (usually just a vague theme like fire, metal, the seven deadly sins, etc.) but high on scaling. For example, it might grant a bonus to AC equal to the level of spirit it's bound as, meaning it's relevant at every level.
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

25. - Top - End - #25

I never had anything against you. I simply felt you went overboard criticizing Paizo/SKR. But since the latter is gone from the former, that is a discussion for a bygone era.

First of all, HOLY COW AKASHIC MYSTERIES JUST LAUNCHED. Talk about perfect timing for a thread about 3PP material.
    G*ddammit. *grumbles and gets wallet*

They're low on fluff (usually just a vague theme like fire, metal, the seven deadly sins, etc.) but high on scaling. For example, it might grant a bonus to AC equal to the level of spirit it's bound as, meaning it's relevant at every level.
    Just a number? Even with the scaling, that's not terribly exciting (and we do get some of that anyway, like Cromwell's AC.) I can see why these didn't make the cut.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

I kind of like the Scholar from Tripod Machine, though it might be a tad on the powerful side
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-...achine/scholar

Otherwise I live off Dreamscarred Press's Psionics I have yet to try their PoW classes but look interesting.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tome of Horrors. I have every book.
    Machinesmith (From Neo-Exodus, sold as a separate PDF) works well for my magitech setting. I like it's flavor better than any other technology based class, in fact.
    Talented Classes. Makes the Fighter, Rogue, and Monk so much better.
    Heroes of the West (Little Red Goblin Games) - American (Native and Colonial) flavored class and archetypes. Useful, since I focus on North America inspired magitech.

I have Dreamscarred Press's Psionics, and I think they did a very good job with it, but I just can't fit the flavor of psionics into my campaign setting, so I don't get any use out of the books. I waffle a lot about whether to ban it or not, because it is good work that I would kind of like to use, but it feels very jarringly out of place alongside other elements of my setting. I've also never actually run psionic rules before. I'm a good bit more confident with them than with PoW, but I'm still not fully sure of myself.

I own Path of War, but I would ban it at my table. I have no actual problem with the book, I just don't feel familiar enough with its mechanics to run it at this point in time, and I don't have time to read it cover to cover, what with school and the possibility of starting up a game. When I feel more comfortable in my ability to understand its rules, I'll start allowing it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Checked my pdf: The generic spirits were also (more interestingly) called Anima spirits. They generally gave 5 abilities, all of which scaled or were (usually) inherently useful regardless of level. Here's an example ability from the spirit flames of dancing death:

Blazing Wake: As you move, you leave a hypnotizing trail
    of fire. The wake is a 15-foot cone projected behind you. The
    wake lasts for 3 rounds in a given square and causes 1d4 points
    of fire damage per spirit level to all who enter or are caught in
    the flames. A successful Reflex save halves the damage. Activating
    or deactivating the wake is a standard action. When binding
    a 5th-level or higher spirit, anyone who fails a Will save is also
    held still within the fire, as the hold monster spell, for 1 round
    per level (with a save allowed on each new round).
    The "AC/spirit level" example I gave was kind of boring. A lot of the abilities "powered up" at a certain level like the one listed above.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilarian View Post

But yeah, Dreamscarred Press is great. Psionics, ToB and Incarnum are 3 of the best systems in 3.5, and their own additions to the systems are great.
    Agreeing with Psyren, with the number of vestiges it has it has a LUDICRIOUS amount of options each day. It has "Dead Levels" but every 2 levels it gets about 15 new abilities. And even then it gets pact augmentations and bonus feats at every level it doesn't get a new level of vestiges… So it really doesn't have any "Dead" levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Roxxy View Post
    I have Dreamscarred Press's Psionics, and I think they did a very good job with it, but I just can't fit the flavor of psionics into my campaign setting, so I don't get any use out of the books. I waffle a lot about whether to ban it or not, because it is good work that I would kind of like to use, but it feels very jarringly out of place alongside other elements of my setting. I've also never actually run psionic rules before. I'm a good bit more confident with them than with PoW, but I'm still not fully sure of myself.

I own Path of War, but I would ban it at my table. I have no actual problem with the book, I just don't feel familiar enough with its mechanics to run it at this point in time, and I don't have time to read it cover to cover, what with school and the possibility of starting up a game. When I feel more comfortable in my ability to understand its rules, I'll start allowing it.
    @psionics: have you considered using the rune magic alternate flavour of the system? It is described quite well in UP for people who don't feel comfortable with the whole crystal/mind flavour of the classes. Might be exactly what you need. If not you can always ask us for some help.

@PoW: path of war is really easy to learn. There are numerous guides out there which can teach you but even on your own you can probably understand the system in about half an hour.

These were not meant to criticise you or your playstyle but rather give you some ideas you maybe haven't thought about yet.