New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1486

Thread: Planeside

1. - Top - End - #1171
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Planeside

[Palace of Orochi - Keiko's Suite]

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    "Tamamo can rest easy then; I'm watching out for you just the same. Tsukiko will disapprove? Why?"
    Cleo rests her chin in one hand now, wondering. How much can they make fun of Noriko in turn?

"You said you didn't exactly fit as a Messenger, but what do you want to be then? Do you know yet? You were so excited by all the birds - do you keep taking care of these animals? What's a wraith? All I know is that you hunt them."
    She hesitates a moment, then goes on to another question.
    "Why did you say 'yes'? You asked me why, and I like to think I'm pretty great, but compared to your family and all the things you must see..."
    Keiko shakes her head

Tsukiko is oh so very proper: you're the wrong gender and the wrong species and your title isn't "princess" so that's wrong, too. She can get really preachy if she gets set off, but she keeps to herself otherwise.

and shakes it some more

You're right, I don't know yet: I never had a chance to explore, before. I've finally had a chance to try things, and it's been so exciting! But it's been disappointing, too... and some of that gets to your last question.

I have taken care of lots of creatures. Sometimes I have to give them up because they don't do well here, and then I find them new homes. The birds will go stay in the stables, though: rideable creatures are shared unless there's a really good reason... heh... then they get borrowed anyway. They'll get lots of attention, though, and I'll certainly visit them. I hope they do lay eggs, that would be so cute!

If a shadow drains a living creature to death and don't take care of their spirit, they turn into a nasty hissing undead thing. Exactly what sort of nasty hissing thing you get depends on who or what the creature was and what their spirit has associated. Most of the time, you just get feral imps. But sometimes you get a stronger creature, and they can get annoying fast - especially when they find their way back here to the shadows. Feral wraiths lurk out in the wilds, and they're strong enough to kill the average shadow-person, or even a small group.

And now that last...

Keiko takes a deep breath and sighs

I told you I hide a lot of insecurity with bluster and activity... I've tried before, I really have. I've had people quite literally scream and run away. I've had people make lame excuses and eloquent excuses and just flat out refuse. And it's hard enough for me to work up the courage to talk to them at all, so each time made it just that little bit harder.

But those were the better cases. On the other hand, I've had uncountable random proposals from miscellaneous princlings - several of whom fainted when they met Daddy. I've visited with people who had enough when they realized that "Princess Keiko" acts precious little like a princess. One really painful episode had the suitor bail out on me when he realized that I was the youngest.

So I've never had luck pursuing people I liked, and I've never had someone like me before - just my title.

She looks seriously at Cleo

You are fascinating and beautiful, intelligent and clever. When I'm around you, I feel... like I belong, like who I am is ok. Maybe it isn't so crazy to be a magical half dragon fox and that there is something worth... growing up for? I don't know how to describe what I mean, I'm rambling.

Ears fold down and she looks at the floor

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Firbolg in the Playground

Cleo straightens up enough to then shrug and admit that Tsukiko's concern for propriety has some basis. "I don't exactly fit the mold."

She listens about the animals, smiling slightly more at the image of the shadow terror chocobo chicks, and downright grins about the wraiths.

"And so you hunt them." Impressive, her voice is saying.

Then Keiko is the one in need of a fuzzy hug, sighing and looking down like that. Cleo can only offer a normal soft hug though, but hopefully that will be enough. At first, that answer sounded pretty disheartening. Like she'd been so unlucky in love that anyone remotely capable and not-terrible would do. But then in turns up.

"Oh, Keiko. That's some awful ways for people to act, even if they are turning you down. Look at me."
    She waits, hoping that comes off properly encouraging, and the nogitsune listens.
    "Sometimes you have to ramble to figure out what you need to say. I'm happy to hear it; we can explore the words and the world. And who you are? That's more than okay."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

[Blade - Armory Vault]

'Fancy, a skill that improves and even changes the more you use it.' By now, it's obvious what Lennie thinks of killing.

'Likely some combination of killing and stealing for the key, then. I wonder how- did you just call my people bad guys?' Lennie grins, not badly offended.

Lennie's eyes widen as the duo reach the vault. 'I sense something familar in here... Andoloran magic! Should be them alright, let me take a look.'

Crimson-red splotches coat the walls, floor and ceiling. Lennie approaches one of the many large, fist-shaped idents on the walls. 'Xangel. A combination of her Barbarian abilities- Berserk and Ironfist, in this case. Dishes out really high damage for bare hands.'

Lennie floats around the room, poking at different places. She flies to a seemingly empty spots, and hovers her palm above it. A streak of white energy momentarily glows into being, and disappears quickly. 'A trace of Nassah's Heavenly Balance. I saw other signs of light and holy damage. Many followers like Paladin only for Charge, but the class is powerful in its own right... I'm surprised an NPC assisted in the fight...'

Lennie goes back to Grant. 'Shouldn't the Crystal be in some sort of container, if it's so precious? Maybe Xangel took it with her, to find a way to unlock it. To be honest, the quest seems a bit too easy so far, for both I and Xangel. For such a huge reward, there's got to be a trick somewhere...'

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Pixie in the Playground

Keiko is hugged! When you're already fuzzy, plain hugs work just fine. She looks back up at Cleo

Thanks, Cleo.

Then she snuggles up, eyes squinched shut in adorable canine fashion.

Thanks so much.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Blade

Grant shrugs.

I've never seen how they stored the thing. I haven't been back to the blade in years.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Pixie in the Playground

So little text last time, Keiko takes two turns! But talking is a Free Action, so it doesn't count anyway. She opens her eyes and notices the clock

It's almost time for dinner! One thing about when we stay at the castle: dinner is formal. I may resist being all proper and princessy, and I may hate wearing dresses, but you do not go to dinner informally. Daddy does not approve!

She jumps up and rings the bell to call for a servant.

I've got a couple of dresses, but they probably have others you might fit - this happens all the time. I'm not tailor, so I'll get somebody to come help.

7. - Top - End - #1177

"You're welcome."

Aww, with eyes like that, she looks adorable even as a fox-thing!

Cleo looks around with some concern and finds the clock, standing up and giving her outfit another look. Sturdy and informal adventuring outfit, dusty boots, generally still a mess from the Hunting Grounds...Maybe she can just wrap her cape around her and hide in it?
    "A formal dress? And what am I going to do for shoes? How long till we need to be there."

Well, if it happens all the time, it can't be too much to worry about. Or maybe it is, and the suitors ran off when they saw Orochi get mad about dining etiquette.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Pixie in the Playground

Keiko chuckles

Shoes don't matter: like I said, we tend to go barefoot. Shower's over there, but hold on a sec...

There's a knock, and Keiko lets in a vaguely feminine dragon-person

Hey, sorry about the short notice. Do we have any dinner-clothes to fit Cleo?

The tailor looks at Cleo, nods, and smiles

Without doubt I have something that is close enough. If miss will remove her outer clothing, I will be happy to measure.

Presuming Cleo cooperates, measurements are taken and the tailor scurries off to make swift (if temporary) alterations. Keiko grins

Shower, or cleaning-cantrip?
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-07-24 at 11:19 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1179

"Oh good."

Cleo carefully removes her boots and all her various tools and weapons.

Somehow, she's managed to be surprised by the tailor, but she cooperates with the measuring process...not without some embarrassment. It's fine for these folks to go around in just a belt if they want; they have coats of fur and suits of scales! She, basically human, is blushing and acutely aware of all her not-covered skin.

"Shower. The spell might get us just as clean, but it's not the same."

The plumbing here probably works just fine, too.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh, the plumbing is quite flawless: good pressure, and you're not going to run out of hot water.

Keiko smiles reassuringly as she gives Cleo a quick lookover and tries to not be too obvious with sniffing.

I've never seen a human before. I mean...

um...

undressed...

Her ears and tails all flick. This being a little more than suitably awkward, she changes the subject.

Bathroom's over here. I don't have time for my fur to dry, so I'm gonna go the quick route.

11. - Top - End - #1181

"Did you want to?"

Keiko being awkward means there's less awkwardness for Cleo to feel - it's a conserved quality once you get past the first little bit - so she can fit in some playful teasing.

With a bit of pointed pretending no one else is there, she undresses the rest of the way and hops into the shower.

At least they have the benefit of drying quickly. And Keiko implied the tailor works very quick, so an altered formal outfit should be ready whens he's done, or soon after.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Pixie in the Playground

Keiko grins and chuckles, and watches Cleo get undressed before heading back to the sitting area and undressing herself. In a whisper that is itself barely a breath...

honestly? ... not really

She's observed other people. She watched and smelled Noriko during the whole betrothal thing... it's just not fair.

The cleanup cantrip is instantaneous, and shortly after she's dressed in what is clearly the standard shadowsilk dress for the princesses. She puts her little tiara back on, because she's started to like it, and then the tailor is back! Keiko blinks in surprise at what she's holding.

Um... are you sure?
    So I was instructed.

Keiko takes the bundle and waits for Cleo. Upon exiting the shower, she will find a grinning Keiko holding yet another of those dresses.

Cleo is to be dressed quite literally like a princess!

13. - Top - End - #1183

Poor Keiko.

Cleo comes out, now covered by a towel or other drying implement, and looks quizzically at the dress.

"I'm supposed to wear that? Already?"

Well, she is a guest here, if that's the appropriate fashion, so be it. Shame about the shadowy color, but it's fine.

She gets herself changed into it quick as she can, and stands in front of the actual princess.

"Is that right? How does it look?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Pixie in the Playground

Keiko shrugs and repeats the comment she heard herself

So I was told.

Then she grins

It is another strong sign that Dad isn't opposed to us: he's accepted the engagement as official, so you're pending prince consort sort of thing. I'm sure there's a real title for it, but we'd have to ask the Herald.

Cleo gets dressed, Keiko smiles warmly

Yep. It's a simple thing, hard to mess up.

And you look great in it!

And we can get these in other colors, too, so don't feel like you're stuck wearing dark grey forever.

So, about the food: don't talk to the waiters, they're not there to chat. Start with the outermost flatware and work your way in. Leave the fork or spoon or whatever on the plate when you're done. In the unlikely event you're still hungry when dinner's done, we'll sneak off and get a snack from the kitchen later so don't fret if you don't like something.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-07-24 at 01:45 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1185

Cleo returns a grin of her own.

"Thank you! That's a good sign then. Has he ever disapproved of someone your sisters favored?"

She glances down at the dress and nods. Even a light grey would be a step up.

Then she runs over the advice in her head.
    "Don't bother the wait staff, shrink the plate, utensils stay with dishes, don't ask for more. Thanks for not leaving me to embarrass myself."
    "Shall we go?"

Cleo holds out a hand, but Keiko will have to lead the way. She doesn't know the castle yet.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi - Corridors]

Keiko smiles

You're welcome. It's really not hard, but it can be intimidating the first time - watching poor Helen struggle along because Frederick didn't tell her anything the first time was a bit wince-worthy.

then she takes Cleo by the arm and leads her out into the castle!

Let me see... most of them were arranged, of course.
    Tamamo's first husband was ok, but he didn't wait for her and that broke her heart - she hasn't remarried and now that she's a goddess she's likely to remain that way.
    Noriko's first husband was a pain in the butt. He seemed nice enough before the wedding, but he was a total jerkface after they were married and nobody liked him. He wasn't welcome to stay. Her second husband is Susanoo, and it's a bit soon to tell.
    Hoshiko's first husband was cute but dumb, and she didn't want him anymore. She's still single.
    Yumiko was bethrothed, but they weren't engaged let alone married, and he didn't wait for her, and she's still single.
    Tsukiko wasn't even bethrothed yet, but I hear she's dallying with a mortal from our homeworld now, so she may be joining me in "incarnated" land pretty soon. No idea what Dad thinks of him, maybe we'll get a hint at dinner.

She chuckles

Now there were certainly suitors for Tsukiko and me that Dad didn't like at all! I didn't usually even see those - they'd show up to the throne room, and then be shown on their way again.

17. - Top - End - #1187

[Palace of Orochi - Corridors]

"This is universal formal dining rules, then."

Off into the castle!

"So just the one huge jerkface. Sad to hear that it hasn't worked out for any of you yet. Hopeful for Noriko, hmm?"

She's been reassured and all, but Cleo is a bit nervous anyway as they approach. There'll be a whole court of dragonpeople judging her!
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi - Dining Room]

And here we are again. It's a grand affair and it's already busy because everyone is home in preparation for Caroline and Steven's wedding! Keiko's five sisters, Susanoo, and Johann, with Orochi at the head of the table and Chiyoko across from him. Small namecards in silver holders place Keiko between Noriko and Tsukiko and Cleo across from her and between Susanoo and Johann.

Hey, guys: This is Cleo. Cleo, you've got Lord Susanoo on your right and ...

My friend's name is Johann Fitzgerald, from the NefKitre clan.

No way! I've heard of him! Tsukiko, you're dating Katrina's cousin?! That's so cool. Cleo, his cousin Katrina is the second assistant head gardner at the Temple!

Johann smiles sheepishly

Hello, Cleo. A pleasure to meet you.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-07-24 at 04:07 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1189

For some of us, it's the first time getting here.

Cleo sits down carefully in the seat with a namecard for her, smiling softly. Wonder who the other, unattached sisters have sitting across from them. Since we have husband, fiance, and boyfriend in order, who for the unattached?

"Pleased to meet you as well, Johann."

She offers him a similar smile.

"And all of you."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Pixie in the Playground

Keiko gets back around to introductions

Ok, up by Dad on our side is Tamamo. Across from her is her oldest daughter Ayame. Then its Hoshiko, and her oldest son Zhuge. Next to Tsukiko is Yumiko, and ... uh ...

The person across from her, next to Susanoo, appears human but has a vaguely visible aura and disturbance in the air around him.

Unlike all of you who seem to be in a hurry to be mortal again, I'm dating Prince Arnazad of the Western Ghaat.

Keiko nods and looks back to Cleo

That's the next kingdom west of us. They also acknowledge Grandma as ... uh... Empress? I dunno.

Noriko shakes her head

Nah, Grandma just goes by Queen.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-07-24 at 06:39 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1191

Cleo looks at each person as they're introduced, smile growing with each one.

"Best of luck to you two."

Shouldn't Keiko know the royalty of the next country over?

She inclines her head to Noriko.

"Thank you."

Johann's presence here is very comforting. Gods and dragons and princes...and some guy whose claim to fame is being related to a gardener. Not that that won't make him the second best person here, or anything. But it's just not quite the same.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Pixie in the Playground

She doesn't know them well enough to recognize by sight, no. But once she heard the name, she knew who it was.

Keiko grins at Susanoo

Settling in?

He nods

Yes, thank you. Dad's court isn't nearly so disorganized as you probably remember, so this really isn't that big of a shock. The dark has taken a little getting used to...

Keiko tilts her head

Really? You don't see it in color yet?

What do you mean?

Noriko jabs Keiko with her elbow. This works as well as ever it does

Ow! Don't poke me, Noriko!

It was supposed to be a surprise!

Then you should have told me! It's not my fault!

Chiyoko scowls

Girls!

23. - Top - End - #1193

So there's something to make this all properly colorful? That would be quite the surprise.

Cleo is about to chime in when Chiyoko calls them out of arguing, and settles for just shrugging.

"He's surprised now, aren't you?"

Noriko and Keiko, they seem like sisters. As they probably should. The others...still mysterious.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, now Susanoo is looking at Noriko quite expectantly. Keiko is looking like quite the sulky little girl. Tsukiko is making moon-eyes at Johann, who is grinning at the spectacle. Tamamo is having an indistinct conversation with her daughter, Zhuge and Hoshiko - the table is just too long to hear them. Yumiko and Arnazad are now just watching. Orochi is trying to eat and Chiyoko shakes her head.

Natives to the shadowlands see them in much the same way you see the material world. We see color and variations of light and dark: it isn't all dark grey. Cleo is dressed in a firey orange, Keiko's wearing a lovely purple. I'm in emerald green, Tsukiko's blue would make a peacock envious, Tamamo's in a mint green, Hoshiko's wearing yellow, Yumiko's in navy, and Mom's dress is pale blue.

Normally, we warn guests: because if you start to see color, you have also started to lose your hold on the material world. But that part doesn't really apply to you, Susa, and I wanted to surprise you.

Keiko slumps

Sorry... I ruined your surprise... and I forgot to tell Cleo.

Noriko rolls her eyes

How did you bring her?

Jump

Doesn't count: she's your guest. As long as you take her back, she'll be fine. Have you paid any attention to your lessons at all... ever?

Her mother clears her throat and Noriko stops criticizing.

25. - Top - End - #1195

Cleo glances around surreptitiously. No, it's still all dark grey to her.

"Keiko, you told me this outfit was dark grey to you."

She doesn't quite keep the laughter out of her voice, but does give the nine-tails an encouraging smile and little bob of the head.

"Do you see the material world in whites and greys, then?"

A quick glance towards their mother - thank you.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Pixie in the Playground

Noriko looks at Keiko expectantly. Keiko stabs at her salad and answers without looking up

I jumped instead of returning, so we're shielded and won't fade. Since this is my material body, I see material colors and everything's grey and I was too excited to remember.

And yeah, if you fade, then go back, it's all washed-out and colorless.

Chiyoko looks intently at Cleo

And I rather think you will not fade even if you attune, unless I am quite mistaken. Like Lord Susa-no-O, you are not strictly speaking a material creature yourself. Am I correct?

Now Cleo is the center of much curious attention
    Last edited by Fenric; 2015-07-24 at 08:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1197

"Interesting. Thanks, Keiko."

Cleo looks intently back at Chiyoko with a bit of surprise.

"You are correct. Is it obvious to you all? I am a sort of spirit we called a 'fae', though that word means many different things outside our home. So far as I know, I can only attune to a single realm at a time."
    Right as Cleo says that, she suspects it isn't true. Has anyone ever tried to make both a Mask and a Wheel, or anything? Maybe not. One doesn't hop between worlds on a whim. Well...didn't back there, anyway. These people - her sometime-to-be-family - they do.
    "I'm not native to the material world we arrived from either."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DoomITP View Post
    The Blade

Grant shrugs.

I've never seen how they stored the thing. I haven't been back to the blade in years.
    The Blade - Armory Vault

'So... we hit a brick wall in this quest. What now.'

Lennie continues investigating the room, looking for something she can go off.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Pixie in the Playground

Chiyoko smiles

Far from obvious. My younger daughters likely cannot see at all, and Tamamo wouldn't know what she is looking at. But I am a sorceress... it is rather my calling in life to know such things.

Perhaps an explanation in more detail might help. Pay attention, now, Keiko: you in particular need to bear this in mind.

And so, an explanation

Spoiler
    Show

In our experience, there are three ways one might move between planes. Their proper terms are Projection, Translocation, and Transposition.

Projection is simply the matter of sending your awareness to the other place. Your body remains intact, left beind, and comatose. This is dangerous, but relatively easy and commonly practiced.

Translocation is using potent magic to simply move you to the other place. But that is far from simple, as it is rather unlikely your body can properly interact with the new location: so the magic must compensate. This can actually be quite difficult, and frequently requires powerful and very complex spells to accomplish. You are here right now by that mechanism: the shadow-jumping ability brings you here directly. But since you are here in truth, anything that happens to you is immediate and direct and if you are killed, you die indeed.

Transposition is makes use of the avatar spell: creating a temporary body in the new location, transferring "you" to that, and storing your old body. The power that our shadow Vulpan descendants use to come here does this. This has many advantages, not least of which is that a great many things that would normally be fatal will now merely end the spell and send you back home.

But the Plane of Shadows is aware... it does not allow perfect avatars to be created, and it doesn't want to give you up. You will see darkness and shades of gray as if you had transposed, but as the temporary body adjusts to the plane, you will get entangled in it until it becomes your true self and you can never return. There are also a number of side effects very similar to the restrictions on Messengers who visit the material plane.

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Plane of Cats

Was that last comment of the cat king referencing her gender or her species? She couldn't be sure. "Sounds simple enough. What kind of challenges are to be expected? As you can probably tell I'm not dressed to party." She gestures down at her adventure clothes. "I came here for the challenges." Her current clothes weren't exactly flattering.
    "The challenges will come, don' worry," the King says, waving a paw dismissively, "Have some food. Meet the other guests. Enjoy yourself, doll. It's a party!"

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Realm of Cats

"Hey, cut that out!" teases Lee, waving the cat away and swishing his tail in a most amused fashion. Silly kitty.
    The kitty sits down and meows at Lee. Nearby more intelligent cats snicker.

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Gwen nods and sighs, saying, "I see...That's rather depressing, really. I wish there was some way to at least try to influence, rather than hoping based on the whims of the king..."
    "That rather sums up the realm of cats in it's entirety," Kharia says, reaching over to pet Salem. "Based on the whims of the king. It always has been. That's why being the cat king is important."