New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries!

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    I play with the Paizo guys from time to time, so I usually know a FAQ like that is in the offing before it actually hits (which is why I was trying to save you the math without actually saying anything that wasn't mine to say ;P)
    Protip: I'm really ornery and if you say I'm wrong by RAW that just makes me more determined.
    Besides, the math was easy. We only actually lose one size of damage anyway. Guru is still swinging for 864 average damage. We use Armory for our virtual size increase, Expansion for our real size increase, still can use a super big Sun Blade.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CashanDraven View Post
    Another thing I noticed in your Guru guide, you have the spiked chain listed in the weapon selections for TWF, however the Spiked chain is a two handed weapon and not a double weapon. Is there an errata or FAQ I'm missing that allows it to be used as a double weapon?

Spoiler
    Show

Two-Weapon Fighting (Series): Much of your damage comes as bonuses per-strike, and just like a rogue the more qualifying strikes you make the better. Akasins have the Two-Bladed Sword. Sineaters have the Spiked Chain (along with Bo Staff, Tonfa, and Dan Bong). Vayists have the 9-section whip in the main hand, and Nunchaku for either (though dual-wielding Nunchaku is an awesome image)
    Just wondering if I can get some clarification on this.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Just wondering if I can get some clarification on this.
    Just checked it, and it looks like 3.5 creeped itself into my writing processes. Fixing it now, and thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Just checked it, and it looks like 3.5 creeped itself into my writing processes. Fixing it now, and thanks for pointing it out.

Ah, no problem then. I really wish there was a feat that allowed you to use a different weapon as a philosophy weapon.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, no problem then. I really wish there was a feat that allowed you to use a different weapon as a philosophy weapon.
    I had that discussion with Ssalarn a ways back in the old thread. I'm on my phone, so I'd rather not search for it, but he did propose a feat. I think it was for a specific weapon, rather than a weapon group as I advocated.

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    I had that discussion with Ssalarn a ways back in the old thread. I'm on my phone, so I'd rather not search for it, but he did propose a feat. I think it was for a specific weapon, rather than a weapon group as I advocated.

I agree with a single weapon for a feat, as the ability to adapt gentle touch to a whole different group of weapons is a bit too powerful really, imo. That being said a weapon group could be adapted, perhaps if the essence you have invested in your gentle touch counts as 1 less than normal. Or, what might work better, is an Akashic feat that allows you to invest a point of essence in order to gain an extra philosophy weapon. So for a feat and essence, you can adapt a weapon into your build. Also gives you a point of essence, making it useful for people trying to get extra essence by dipping ,ect.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can you invest temporary essence, as from Absorb Radiance, or are you only able to burn it?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tulya View Post
    Can you invest temporary essence, as from Absorb Radiance, or are you only able to burn it?
    You can invest it, there are no limits to its use other than the fact that it is burned first.

Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

UPDATE: Supplemental Document is up, and it includes a few new veils (will be written into the appropriate guides), items, races (already in the guides), Racial Favored Class Bonuses (still changing quick, so not going up yet), archetypes, and a couple of PrCs. Several Veils have been edited as well.

Main question, does anyone want a Supplemental Document guide to go up detailing what wasn't in the main three? This would mostly be a race-guide to non-Akashic classes, Archetypes, Item review, and PrC notes. Warning you that it could take a while, I have a bunch of projects on my plate at the moment, but if people want it you'd best believe it will go up eventually.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

If you don't have time (and if I somehow find it) I could give the archetypes a shot.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

11. - Top - End - #131
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'd like it because "omnomnom more Akashic," but there's no rush. What makes it into the existing guides is the bigger deal.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

You mention the daevic taking Enhanced capacity to use with your passion bond, but passion bond isn't itself a veil, and the ability states that the veil's bound with passion bond cannot benefit from Enhanced capacity; what's up with that?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by yakri View Post
    You mention the daevic taking Enhanced capacity to use with your passion bond, but passion bond isn't itself a veil, and the ability states that the veil's bound with passion bond cannot benefit from Enhanced capacity; what's up with that?
    Enhanced Capacity can apply to any receptacle, not just a Veil. You can apply it to the bond itself, which fuels the Passion Veils. This is the only way to boost them, since you can't individually boost them (as you noted).

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Enhanced Capacity can apply to any receptacle, not just a Veil. You can apply it to the bond itself, which fuels the Passion Veils. This is the only way to boost them, since you can't individually boost them (as you noted).
    That's worth asking Ssalarn about. Getting an essence increased from Enhanced Capacity (Passion) IMO very clearly counts as benefiting from Enhanced Capacity.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

15. - Top - End - #135

After doing some back tracking, and looking around, I have not found an answer to a question I posted a good while back. Is there, or will there be a feat that allows a Guru to adapt a weapon or weapons to his philosophy? I mean as of the Akashic Aegis, there's really no reason to not have it for build diversities sake.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

After doing some back tracking, and looking around, I have not found an answer to a question I posted a good while back. Is there, or will there be a feat that allows a Guru to adapt a weapon or weapons to his philosophy? I mean as of the Akashic Aegis, there's really no reason to not have it for build diversities sake.
    Supposedly, it is currently being checked for balance. Something about racial weapon proficiencies potentially doing unanticipated things. Ssalarn said about a week or two ago that it is likely to make it into the final PDF, but we have to wait and see.

In other news, found out that I was totally wrong on current intent on the Passion benefitting from Expanded Capacity. I will change a few things in the guides once I get the chance.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Looking at the release Vizier PDF, Storm Gauntlets appear to only work with melee weapons. Is this something that's changing in the final, compiled version?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    Looking at the release Vizier PDF, Storm Gauntlets appear to only work with melee weapons. Is this something that's changing in the final, compiled version?
    Yes. The melee restriction will be completely removed in the final release and in the updates for all individual .pdfs the veil appears in.

19. - Top - End - #139

What happened to lashing spinnerets? You mentioned it in your vizier guide but it isn't in the release. Was it removed?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jesterjeff View Post
    What happened to lashing spinnerets? You mentioned it in your vizier guide but it isn't in the release. Was it removed?
    Reverse. It was added after the vizier PDF was released, IIRC.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jesterjeff View Post
    Keledrath beat me to it. The Lashing Spinnerets veil is in the Supplemental document, which is currently still in playtest.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

22. - Top - End - #142

Thanks ya'll.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

I just realized an Akasin Guru can't use Loyal Paladin's Spear of Light with Gentle Touch.

That's the saddest thing I've heard all day.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    I just realized an Akasin Guru can't use Loyal Paladin's Spear of Light with Gentle Touch.

That's the saddest thing I've heard all day.
    Lemme cheer you up a bit, then. Ssalarn has a feat in the works which may enable that. It's just not in the doc yet, pending preliminary playtest.

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

I keep seeing the loyal paladins lance of light mentioned in the guides. but i cant find it's stats listed anywhere in the documents. where is it? does it still exist or did it get removed and some remnants were missed in reference to it?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EternalZiggurat View Post
    I keep seeing the loyal paladins lance of light mentioned in the guides. but i cant find it's stats listed anywhere in the documents. where is it? does it still exist or did it get removed and some remnants were missed in reference to it?
    It is one of the new Veils, from the upcoming Supplemental document. I think I'm going to add an asterisk to the doc next to anything from there, I get that question a lot

My Guides:

Extended Signature HERE

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the prompt reply, I found it.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Have you considered Half Sahuagin with the Four Armed Freak trait for the Guru? Great stats and potentially 12 base attacks per round is nothing to scoff at with Gentle Touch.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Added to the Vizier errata:

Page 6: Replace the first two paragraphs in Aura of Subjugation with
    "Aura of Subjugation (Su): At 1st level the ruler’s aura of subjugation has a range of 30 feet and all creatures other than the ruler within its area of effect take a -1 penalty to their Will saving throws and a -2 penalty to all Sense Motive checks. He may choose to exclude a number of creatures equal to his Intelligence modifier from the effects of this aura.
    At 5th level the ruler’s control over his aura of subjugation improves and the penalty to Will saving throws increases to -2 and the penalty to Sense Motive checks increases to -4."

This one was a long time coming, sorry for the delay.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Have you considered Half Sahuagin with the Four Armed Freak trait for the Guru? Great stats and potentially 12 base attacks per round is nothing to scoff at with Gentle Touch.
    This trait is getting deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig