New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Banned

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 13.5: Recap Episode

Spoiler: Katawa Shoujo
    Show
    Shizune isn't really hostile to people and of all the girls she's the most altruistic. She's just very determined, passionate and outspoken which can indeed drive people off. Still, she's easily the most admirable of them, even they all have understandable, sympathetic motivations. Not only is she ultimately quite altruistic, she's also the only one of them to not let fear or fatigue or personal issues hold her back from doing what she wants and who lives completely honestly with herself and even if she might be too demanding at times, it's hard not to respect that. And that's what makes her and Lilly fighting so sad, both have entirely reasonable positions and both utterly fail to communicate them to the other and instead treat it like the other is immoral.

Also, Hiro Protagonist, you've pretty much proven the point of Rin's route. It is entirely about how she doesn't know how to make others understand her or even make them try to. It's also the route that I can empathize with the most and which it took me a week to fully process. It's weird as hell, but it's also the most powerful of the routes and one that I imagine is about something a lot of nerds have felt at various times.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Katawa Shoujo, Rin's Route
    Show
    It's been forever since I played through, and the save file is long since gone from my computer (given that my computer has a habit of regenerating on an infrequent basis or being replaced by a new one), but Rin's route was the one I liked the best, out of the two I finished. (Yes, I never got around to the other routes, even Hanako's.)

I...really liked Rin's route. But maybe that's because I identify a huge bit with the artsy sector. I felt like...I got her. And that loneliness she felt was almost physically palpable at times. The scenes up in her flat were intense and filled with a very human melancholy. Really, that's the sort of stuff that I value with the Visual Novel style of storytelling: the ability to delve into a character and understand them, take or leave the romance and sex bits.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-11-13 at 11:13 AM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Spoiler: Katawa Shoujo, Rin's Route
    Show
    It's been forever since I played through, and the save file is long since gone from my computer (given that my computer has a habit of regenerating on an infrequent basis or being replaced by a new one), but Rin's route was the one I liked the best, out of the two I finished. (Yes, I never got around to the other routes, even Hanako's.)

I...really liked Rin's route. But maybe that's because I identify a huge bit with the artsy sector. I felt like...I got her. And that loneliness she felt was almost physically palpable at times. The scenes up in her flat were intense and filled with a very human melancholy. Really, that's the sort of stuff that I value with the Visual Novel style of storytelling: the ability to delve into a character and understand them, take or leave the romance and sex bits.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That was my experience as well. I might not be part of an artsy sector, but it hit really close to my experience with academia and my own experiences in it. I got Rin in ways I've never gotten a fictional character before and just as importantly, it was a work where I felt the creators got me in ways I rarely feel. And that made it the most powerful artistic experience I've ever had. It caught exactly the kind of loneliness and alienation I know in ways similar to how I know it.

It might not do it for everybody, but if you're like me, Rin's route is the one that will speak to you. That said I read somebody who once said that the best girl in Katawa Shoujo is whoever has the same issues as you and I think there's a lot of truth to that, so I'm not really saying it's the best route in general. Just that it was the best route for me.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

In other news, I watched Gargantia and should probably go hide because I actually liked it.

It's not a show that I wound up super-hyped about by the end, but it was good enough for what I expected it to be. I wish that the rest of the show could've measured up to the quality of the first four episodes, but there was enough there to carry it through for me. (Watching it two episodes a day may have helped with that; I can imagine that it'd start to get disappointing if you had to wait an entire week for some of those episodes.)

I was anticipating the big worldbuilding twist before they revealed it, but that was just me being genre-savvy. I still liked how everything fit together to make the situation what it was.

And I perpetually love the world itself, but then again I was a sucker for Waterworld.

My biggest complaint was the heavy-handed philosophy-spouting at the end, because the philosophies were already being strongly implied anyhow. You could've conveyed the same meanings with 20% of the lines; when I say that, I mean that I could pick out the specific lines you'd keep, while cutting the rest and changing almost nothing.

But so it goes. I wasn't wowed, but I got an ending and the beginning was fantastic. Though I don't see the point to a Season 2 or OVAs. The story's done.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-11-13 at 02:42 PM.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    Spoiler: More thoughts about KS
    Show
    Lily's route seemed a bit like a gender-flip of Hanako's, with a few less emotional issues and a damn cool music box.
    Spoiler: Katawa Shoujo; Lilly and Hanako
    Show
    ...Yeah, you're kinda right. Both stories are about people who try to help someone else, and end up having to realize they have their own problems too. But in Hanako's story, it requires an outside force, Lilly, to make you realize that, while in Lilly's story, you end up putting the pieces together yourself (if you do things right to get the proper ending) and deciding you can't just let her slip through your fingers.

I ended up starting a new game for Lilly's story again, skipped all the old text, and got the good ending. I know I picked one option differently, but I can't remember which one it was. I went back to an old save of the first playthrough, picked the "avoid the subject" option in A Brief History of Thyme since I figured maybe telling her how you admire her is what drove her away in the end, trying to be independent, but it didn't work. Maybe I also have to not talk about her influence on Hanako on the train ride? I'm going to go through from the start again to see if I can figure it out...

I think Lilly's story ends better though. Hanako's story ends with Hanako being happier and more confident, with a much better relationship with you, while there's still plenty of the school year left. And that's good. But from what I can tell, Lilly's still going to be this kind of distant figure, never quite letting you guys into her life as you let her into yours, and in the end, wedging half the world between herself and the happy couple.

Um, actual anime and manga. I watched Trigun. I think mood whiplash drove me to disconnect from it. But actually, I think it's less the actual mood whiplash in and of itself, and that I can't handle the
    Spoiler: Trigun near the end
    Show
    "there is no hope!"
    theme in general, and that's what it is at the darkest point of the story.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-11-13 at 03:27 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. I actually got the opposite feeling from Trigun, where that was the theme that the antagonist was trying to push, and Vash was saying "#!#*!%(! YOU I REJECT THAT" in his own way.

(Though, the ending for Maximum is much better, in both its similarity and difference.)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

I generally don't watch series as they're coming out, but I'm making an exception for Mushi-shi. As should everyone else.

Though I don't see the point to a Season 2 or OVAs. The story's done.
    Those were my sentiments too.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    I generally don't watch series as they're coming out, but I'm making an exception for Mushi-shi. As should everyone else.
    I've kept more or less up-to-date with the second series, and I haven't even seen all of the original.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    Spoiler: Katawa Shoujo; Lilly and Hanako
    Show
    ...Yeah, you're kinda right. Both stories are about people who try to help someone else, and end up having to realize they have their own problems too. But in Hanako's story, it requires an outside force, Lilly, to make you realize that, while in Lilly's story, you end up putting the pieces together yourself (if you do things right to get the proper ending) and deciding you can't just let her slip through your fingers.

I ended up starting a new game for Lilly's story again, skipped all the old text, and got the good ending. I know I picked one option differently, but I can't remember which one it was. I went back to an old save of the first playthrough, picked the "avoid the subject" option in A Brief History of Thyme since I figured maybe telling her how you admire her is what drove her away in the end, trying to be independent, but it didn't work. Maybe I also have to not talk about her influence on Hanako on the train ride? I'm going to go through from the start again to see if I can figure it out...

I think Lilly's story ends better though. Hanako's story ends with Hanako being happier and more confident, with a much better relationship with you, while there's still plenty of the school year left. And that's good. But from what I can tell, Lilly's still going to be this kind of distant figure, never quite letting you guys into her life as you let her into yours, and in the end, wedging half the world between herself and the happy couple.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lilly's story has the best end for Lilly, Hanako and Shizune. Lilly finally lets someone in and starts making an effort at life, instead of hovering in distant rebellion against her family, she also ends up making up with Shizune. Hanako on the other hand breaks out of her shell on her own, makes friends and starts actually looking to the future, instead of stewing in bitterness at the bullying she suffered and the pity she receives. She also seems to have a far more normal, healthy friendship with Lilly and Hisao than she does in her own route.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, mostly on a whim, I caught up on YuYuYu, and damn. Episode 5 and 6 changed my opinion of the show pretty damn hard.

Spoiler: Huge spoilers for episodes 5+6
    Show
    I'm not entirely sure how to process this, but it's six episodes in and the latest episode feels like a season finale. All the Vertexes are dead, Karin is beginning to become friends with the Hero Club, and I'm super paranoid that someone is going to die next episode. Maybe its because the writer is the same as Akame ga Kiru!, but every single episode I expecting something terrible to happen, and nothing really does. Well, except for how everyone that went Mankai lost one of their senses. I feel like it'd be worst for Itsuki if the effects are permanent, since she wants to be a singer.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    So, mostly on a whim, I caught up on YuYuYu, and damn. Episode 5 and 6 changed my opinion of the show pretty damn hard.

Spoiler: Huge spoilers for episodes 5+6
    Show
    I'm not entirely sure how to process this, but it's six episodes in and the latest episode feels like a season finale. All the Vertexes are dead, Karin is beginning to become friends with the Hero Club, and I'm super paranoid that someone is going to die next episode. Maybe its because the writer is the same as Akame ga Kiru!, but every single episode I expecting something terrible to happen, and nothing really does. Well, except for how everyone that went Mankai lost one of their senses. I feel like it'd be worst for Itsuki if the effects are permanent, since she wants to be a singer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Indeed. And even though nothing terrible has happened, it keeps seeming like it might. And the various injuries the girls suffered is ominous enough to suggest that maybe something terrible will still happen. And, really, this success at keeping me guessing is what fascinates me the most about the show, it feels like something where you genuinely have to watch it all to really get what they're trying to do. Also, the girls are really likable with little touches such as how Fu's silliness is clearly an attempt at putting the others at ease when there's nothing they can do anyway.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    So... does Misha not actually have a path? Looking at the Extras section, there seems to be one less cinematic than needed for six paths, and her name isn't on the list of paths that you can look at your scene history for.

I also managed to replicate my result of properly finishing Lilly's path. I got a different idea in my head than the last time I tried, and it worked.
    Spoiler: Lilly
    Show

A Brief History of Thyme - talk to her. I got the idea that if I started addressing my thoughts about her strength, it would end up with me doing the necessary reflection later. Looks like that was right, and my first theory was wrong. Stupidly, this is also the only option on her path I didn't have a save state for.

I'm not sure if any other options are necessary, but it looks like, as one would expect, communication is the key to this relationship. So I placed my bets on options where you talk more about yourself or her.
    And yes I know I could've just looked up a flowchart. I don't care, it's not like it's an actual puzzle game.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-11-14 at 10:26 PM.
    My Steam profile

13. - Top - End - #193
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    Show
    So... does Misha not actually have a path? Looking at the Extras section, there seems to be one less cinematic than needed for six paths, and her name isn't on the list of paths that you can look at your scene history for.

I also managed to replicate my result of properly finishing Lilly's path. I got a different idea in my head than the last time I tried, and it worked.
    Spoiler: Lilly
    Show

A Brief History of Thyme - talk to her. I got the idea that if I started addressing my thoughts about her strength, it would end up with me doing the necessary reflection later. Looks like that was right, and my first theory was wrong. Stupidly, this is also the only option on her path I didn't have a save state for.

I'm not sure if any other options are necessary, but it looks like, as one would expect, communication is the key to this relationship. So I placed my bets on options where you talk more about yourself or her.
    And yes I know I could've just looked up a flowchart. I don't care, it's not like it's an actual puzzle game.
    There is no Misha route. For reasons that get readily explained in Shizune's route. Also reasons that make it extra horrible to get the bad end of that route.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Damnit Hisao, this is not what consoling someone means!

I should probably replay Katawa Shoujo at some point. I only finished Hanako's route... but it affected me a lot. This game is very good at evoking feels.

In the meantime though, I decided to watch Amagi Brilliant Park. I don't think its comedy is as good as Nozaki-kun, but it's still a pretty good show. Also I'm a sucker for stories about taking a sucky business, running it, and trying to get it back on its feet.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

I've kept more or less up-to-date with the second series, and I haven't even seen all of the original.
    Funimation have uploaded the original season to youtube (which you don't need to be in the USA to watch), so that's pretty easy to fix

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Funimation have uploaded the original season to youtube (which you don't need to be in the USA to watch), so that's pretty easy to fix
    I did not know this! Huzzah!

(I know, I'm a stickler on this point, but I really do like to keep my sources legal, and for the longest time there wasn't a good source for Mushi-shi.)

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

I know, I'm a stickler on this point, but I really do like to keep my sources legal
    You horrible, horrible person.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Damnit Hisao, this is not what consoling someone means!

I should probably replay Katawa Shoujo at some point. I only finished Hanako's route... but it affected me a lot. This game is very good at evoking feels.
    Spoiler: Katawa Shoujo; minor spoilers about Hanako and Lilly
    Show
    Hanako's route definitely gets darker than Lilly's (which isn't really surprising), and the ending is not as good for some of the characters in the story, and yet... I prefer the end. Maybe it's just because by the time I figured out that I didn't get the good ending to Lilly's story, I had spent two days winding down from it and a third going through Hanako's story. Maybe it's because I can relate to Hanako and Hanako's version of Hisao that much more than Lilly and Lilly's version of Hisao. I do think Hanako's act 2 cinematic is more powerful than Lilly's.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-11-15 at 04:49 PM.
    My Steam profile

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: This week on Fate/stay night; Unlimited Shirou Punching-bag (includes image)
    Show
    Shirou says what we've all been thinking...

I mean, I knew that the Matous were a mage family from Fate/Zero, so maybe that gave me a leg up, but I figured it was pretty obvious that Shinji was a Master. Though not, it would seem, Rider's master, unless I'm reading it wrong. He's Caster's master, yes? Because he was talking about his Servant causing comas unprovoked. Which means that Rider's master was hanging around the school as well.

Also, Rin is tsundere some more, and we finally get to meet Caster and Assassin! Caster's spiderweb trap was super, super-cool.

I really enjoyed Archer's discussion with Shirou about the nature of Heroic Servants, even if Archer attributes too little agency to Servants. 'cause Shirou has a point. Very, very interesting to hear about Archer's character, too. He died with no unfulfilled wish? Quite interesting indeed.

Having seen Fate/Zero...
    Spoiler: Fate/Zero
    Show
    I love that Shirou is getting swordsmanship lessons from King Arthuria. And has no idea.

It was also cool to see Shirou explaining his strengthening magic, and it's a good illustration of the Nasuverse's style of magic, which a friend explained to me at length while we were watching some of the Kara no Kyoukai movies.

Can't wait to see Assassin in action; nobody expects the honorable Assassin! And if his Noble Phantasm isn't Swallow Cut, I may be a bit disappointed.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

I did not know this! Huzzah!

(I know, I'm a stickler on this point, but I really do like to keep my sources legal, and for the longest time there wasn't a good source for Mushi-shi.)
    I try to stick to legal where possible, but in terms of options for Europeans we've got a somewhat reduced version of Crunchyroll's catalogue and that's about it. Physical is the only other option, but there's also a lot of stuff that's either out of print or was never officially released here as well. The slow death of the rental market also doesn't help much either.

On a brighter note, it turns out Funimation have some of their streamed shows available on Youtube and not region locked to the US, it's just difficult to find because their channel is horrible to navigate.

The (working) shows I can find on their youtube channel are:

Air Gear

Aria: The Scarlet Ammo

Baccano!

Bamboo Blade

Birdy the Mighty: Decode

Black Blood Brothers

Blue Gender

C3

Casshern Sins

Chobits

Corpse Princess

Dance in the Vampire Bund

Darker than Black (and Season 2)

Devil May Cry

Eden of the East

El Cazador de la Bruja

Fafner: Dead Aggressor

Freezing

Fullmetal Alchemist (the first one, not Brotherhood)

Glass Fleet

Haganai

Hero Tales

Heroic Age

Hetalia

Initial D First Stage

Jinki: Extend

Jyu-Oh-Sei

Mongolian Chop Squad

Mushi-shi

Nabari no Ou

Ouran High School Host Club

Phantom ~ Requiem for the Phantom

Rideback

Rumbling Hearts

School Rumble (Season 2)

Sekirei

Shigurui: Death Frenzy

Shuffle!

Spice and Wolf

Texhnolyze

xxxHolic

(this was everything I was able to find that seemed to work on my end of things - I haven't gone through every episode)
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2014-11-16 at 01:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Is Steins;Gate region-locked for you?

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

I probably should watch Baccano!...
    My Steam profile

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Is Steins;Gate region-locked for you?
    Yes. As are a substantial number of other series not on that list.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2014-11-15 at 05:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Banned

Crunchyroll doesn't have a European library. It has a number of different libraries for different parts of Europe. The British Isles, the low countries and Scandinavia get almost everything the US does with some exceptions that aren't always the same between the three regions. The rest of Europe supposedly gets a lot less and it seems like the more important the dominant non-English language of a place is, the less stuff they get on Crunchyroll.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

UBW still going strong. I'm displeased about all those Saber flags though. Ufotable, stop.

I liked those quick flashing images dream thing, that was another good addition. Ufotable, continue.

Is it next week yet?
    How about now?
    Damn, I hate following things as they come out.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

26. - Top - End - #206

On a brighter note, it turns out Funimation have some of their streamed shows available on Youtube and not region locked to the US, it's just difficult to find because their channel is horrible to navigate.
    Oh hey, thanks. I mean, on the one hand I'm cursing you because now a bunch of shows I vaguely meant to get around to watching are immediately, legally available and I feel pressure to watch them before they possibly vanish; but on the other hand, that's a handy resource!
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2014-11-15 at 08:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207

Hell yeah! The only thing that could make this better would be if they actually had the full english dub of Baccano.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

So the intermittent boob humor in Magi is grating when it shows up (but is thankfully not super-frequent), and WHY IS INSTRUCTOR MEIERS DRESSED LIKE A CHAINMAIL BIKINI DOMINATRIX, but otherwise Season 1 was just fantastic and Season 2 is shaping up to be really good so far. I can't wait to see where it goes.

Also, Alibaba, you idiot. (Speaking with reference to Episode 31.)

The world continues to be fantastically vibrant, which is the thing I keep loving about the series. Also, the Big Freaking Sword character is a hilarious pastiche of the trope taken to its logical conclusion.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

So the intermittent boob humor in Magi is grating when it shows up (but is thankfully not super-frequent), and WHY IS INSTRUCTOR MEIERS DRESSED LIKE A CHAINMAIL BIKINI DOMINATRIX
    That's nothing. You know that "bird's-eye view of anime character on white bed sheet looking up at you" art trend? Not long ago Fairy Tail did slow pan-ups of those as the ending titles animation for three episodes in a row. Including one of Wendy.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Spoiler: This week on Fate/stay night; Unlimited Shirou Punching-bag (includes image)
    Show
    Shirou says what we've all been thinking...

I mean, I knew that the Matous were a mage family from Fate/Zero, so maybe that gave me a leg up, but I figured it was pretty obvious that Shinji was a Master. Though not, it would seem, Rider's master, unless I'm reading it wrong. He's Caster's master, yes? Because he was talking about his Servant causing comas unprovoked. Which means that Rider's master was hanging around the school as well.

And if his Noble Phantasm isn't Swallow Cut, I may be a bit disappointed.
    Spoiler: Rider and Caster
    Show
    Caster is not the only Servant who knocks people out en masse while draining mana.

Although you are correct; both Caster's and Rider's Masters are at the school.

Spoiler: Assassin
    Show
    Assassin does not have the Tsubame Gaeshi as a Noble Phantasm...but it's still his signature move.

This one I may have to explain in detail, but I'll wait until the show's over.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack