New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,493 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XX: KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANS!!!

I do like the great eldrazi, along with All is Dust, Eye of Ugin, and that other eldrazi land.

And three etched.

EDIT: We need a thread name!

I vote Tap target Keg
    Last edited by Duck999; 2015-05-05 at 05:18 PM.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Orc in the Playground

MMA2015 looks like it will be a fun draft environment. I'm happy for remand and expedition map reprints, but a bit peeved at no damnation reprint.
    Custom avatar by me - based on my Half-Orc Eldritch Knight, Keth d'Lordran
    Spoiler
    Show

Tabletop RPGs
    Started with D&D 3.5, these days I mostly play 5E and occationally Call of C'thulu. Currently running two D&D 5E games over roll20

Magic: the Gathering
    Started with Return to Ravnica/Innistrad. I'll draft every once in a while but EDH is my favorite format by far.
    Decks: Lord Windgrace, Neyith of the Dire Hunt, Rielle the Everwise

Other Geeky Hobbies
    Ridley/Lucina main SSBU

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Firbolg in the Playground

Trivia question the Whateverth:

Name a keyword ability that has only ever been on one card, in any form.

Bonus: name a keyword ability that has been used from Alpha right up to the present in one form or other, and is referenced by several cards, but only actually appears verbatim as an actual keyword ability on two.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Trivia question the Whateverth:

Name a keyword ability that has only ever been on one card, in any form.
    The only reason this wasn't a piece of cake is because I'd forgotten the ability in question even existed:

Fortify

Depending on what you mean by "in any form," there's also Absorb and Aura Swap.

Bonus: name a keyword ability that has been used from Alpha right up to the present in one form or other, and is referenced by several cards, but only actually appears verbatim as an actual keyword ability on two.
    This one's easy: Fateseal, though technically it's a keyword action (). Appears on Mesmeric Sliver and Spin into Myth.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

5. - Top - End - #1475

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    The only reason this wasn't a piece of cake is because I'd forgotten the ability in question even existed:

Fortify

Depending on what you mean by "in any form," there's also Absorb and Aura Swap.

This one's easy: Fateseal, though technically it's a keyword action (). Appears on Mesmeric Sliver and Spin into Myth.
    I was.... totally not expecting there to be other answers to #1, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. There's at least one other that you missed though.

Fateseal's close, but doesn't date back to Alpha days, nor is it referenced on other cards besides the two.

I was wrong though. The keyword I was thinking of was "landwalk", which goes right through, but is usually on the card itself as "mountainwalk", "plainswalk", etc. The two cards I was thinking of Dryad Sophisticate ("nonbasic landwalk") and Ayumi, the Last Visitor ("legendary landwalk"), but I'd missed Zombie Musher ("snow landwalk") and Livonya Silone ("legendary land-walk", changed to "legendary landwalk" in the oracle text). All other instances of the work "landwalk" itself are references to the ability as part of some other ability that can grant some variation of it. It's a weird case of it being an Evergreen Keyword, but hardly ever showing up itself on the card. I kind of bungled the clue though, so that's on me.
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2015-05-10 at 01:14 AM.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    I was.... totally not expecting there to be other answers to #1, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. There's at least one other that you missed though.
    Key words "at least." Now that I've gone all the way through rule 702 rather than stopping at Fortify (since I assumed it was the one you were looking for), there's also Frenzy, Gravestorm, and Transfigure. All from Future Sight, of course. Good old Future Sight.

...I'm really surprised I'd never heard of that last one before today. It's a tutoring effect, you'd think people would use it.

Fateseal's close, but doesn't date back to Alpha days, nor is it referenced on other cards besides the two.
    By "in one form or another" I thought you were referring to cards that do the exact or nearly the exact same thing as the keyword but without using the keyword itself. Which I don't actually know if Alpha has any such card for Fateseal.

...I do know that the other keyword to have been used exactly twice comes close, though: Poisonous gives poison counters, which were introduced in The Dark.

I was wrong though. The keyword I was thinking of was "landwalk", which goes right through, but is usually on the card itself as "mountainwalk", "plainswalk", etc. The two cards I was thinking of Dryad Sophisticate ("nonbasic landwalk") and Ayumi, the Last Visitor ("legendary landwalk"), but I'd missed Zombie Musher ("snow landwalk") and Livonya Silone ("legendary land-walk", changed to "legendary landwalk" in the oracle text). All other instances of the work "landwalk" itself are references to the ability as part of some other ability that can grant some variation of it. It's a weird case of it being an Evergreen Keyword, but hardly ever showing up itself on the card. I kind of bungled the clue though, so that's on me.
    If specific variants of variable keywords are on the table, then there's also Snow-Covered Plainswalk, Band with Other Dinosaurs, Bands with Other Creatures Named "Wolves of the Hunt", and quite a few one-of-a-kind Protections.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2015-05-10 at 03:08 AM.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Barbarian in the Playground

So I've been working on entering the Rogue Deckbuilder's Master Brewer challenge, because if there's one thing I like, it's building janky decks around terrible cards. The buildaround card for this challenge was Rally the Ancestors, and here's my entry. I've also put a budget version together, which... err, frankly, might be better. But it's not as heavily based on the Rally, which was one of the conditions of the challenge. Thoughts, anyone?

(I hope this doesn't get lost in the switch between threads. If it does, I'll re-post it with absolutely no shame. )

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Colossus in the Playground

Key words "at least." Now that I've gone all the way through rule 702 rather than stopping at Fortify (since I assumed it was the one you were looking for), there's also Frenzy, Gravestorm, and Transfigure. All from Future Sight, of course. Good old Future Sight.
    Fleshwrither is unfortunately way too expensive for what it does. A 4-mana 3/3 is playable in Limited but Hill Giant has little Constructed utility. Having a toolbox is nice but generally you don't want to pay 7 mana and a card for any given three-drop in your deck and unlike with external sacrifice-effects, you cannot fake it with Transfigure using mechanics like Persist since only this card has the ability. It would take an absolutely busted 3-drop for Fleshwrither to ever be worth it (but cards with the mechanic could turn out great, of course). Transmute largely does what Transfigure does better since you can get anything and you aren't stuck casting the thing before you tutor: instead you get to first sculpt your hand and then go for it. And it's often cheaper too.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2015-05-12 at 07:34 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Fleshwriter fetches four-drops.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Fleshwrither is unfortunately way too expensive for what it does. A 4-mana 3/3 is playable in Limited but Hill Giant has little Constructed utility. Having a toolbox is nice but generally you don't want to pay 7 mana and a card for any given three-drop in your deck and unlike with external sacrifice-effects, you cannot fake it with Transfigure using mechanics like Persist since only this card has the ability. It would take an absolutely busted 3-drop for Fleshwrither to ever be worth it (but cards with the mechanic could turn out great, of course). Transmute largely does what Transfigure does better since you can get anything and you aren't stuck casting the thing before you tutor: instead you get to first sculpt your hand and then go for it. And it's often cheaper too.
    Fleshwrither finds four drops, not three drops. Also it has synergy with reanimation and Mikaus the unhallowed. I have considered playing it in my Karador EDH deck (Mad value).
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Fleshwrither finds four drops, not three drops. Also it has synergy with reanimation and Mikaus the unhallowed. I have considered playing it in my Karador EDH deck (Mad value).
    I think it's way better in EDH than in modern or anything like that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tabletop RPGs
    Started with D&D 3.5, these days I mostly play 5E and occationally Call of C'thulu. Currently running two D&D 5E games over roll20

Started with Return to Ravnica/Innistrad. I'll draft every once in a while but EDH is my favorite format by far.

Other Geeky Hobbies
    Ridley/Lucina main SSBU

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla_pasta View Post
    I think it's way better in EDH than in modern or anything like that.
    Deffinately, it is a slow toolbox engine after all.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ogre in the Playground

A small stack of people at my work are playing low-cost decks, and this has me dabbling with MtG for the first time since Alliances. No sets are off limits, technically, but to minimize cost nobody's dropped a card valued at more than $1 (roughly; the rule of thumb is that rares get the hairy eyeball, uncommons are fine unless most of the deck is silver-marked). It's a gentlemen's agreement enforced through mockery and verbal abuse, and nobody wants to trigger that when the company actively avoids having an HR department.

Within that limit, what G/U options are there to play multiple lands per turn, and/or recover lands from the graveyard?
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Within that limit, what G/U options are there to play multiple lands per turn, and/or recover lands from the graveyard?
    Depends on what you mean by "play multiple lands per turn." If you're talking Exploration-style effects the cheapest one I know of is ~$5 apiece. If you mean things like Rampant Growth, on the other hand, those are a dime a dozen.

Why you do need to be able to return lands from your graveyard?

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ogre in the Playground

Depends on what you mean by "play multiple lands per turn." If you're talking Exploration-style effects the cheapest one I know of is ~$5 apiece. If you mean things like Rampant Growth, on the other hand, those are a dime a dozen.

Why you do need to be able to return lands from your graveyard?
    Exploration, being an ongoing effect, is more what I'm looking for. Nissa, Worldwaker or Jace, the Living Guildpact get me the effects as well, but also not cheaply.

My current deck plan has the potential to draw piles of cards per turn, and the faster I can play land the more effective that will be. Simply reshuffling my graveyard into my library would work too.

Hm, or uncapping my hand size, Library of Leng-style.

EDIT: The core plan is to load a G/U deck with Evolving creatures, including a Fathom Mage, then bounce a Nulltread Gargantuan from play to library. for 1GU I add a +1/+1 evolution token to all my creatures, put the Gargantuan on my library, then redraw it with the Mage (multiple Mages should make this really interesting).
    Last edited by Occasional Sage; 2015-05-21 at 01:30 AM.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

16. - Top - End - #1486

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Exploration, being an ongoing effect, is more what I'm looking for. Nissa, Worldwaker or Jace, the Living Guildpact get me the effects as well, but also not cheaply.

My current deck plan has the potential to draw piles of cards per turn, and the faster I can play land the more effective that will be. Simply reshuffling my graveyard into my library would work too.

Hm, or uncapping my hand size, Library of Leng-style.

EDIT: The core plan is to load a G/U deck with Evolving creatures, including a Fathom Mage, then bounce a Nulltread Gargantuan from play to library. for 1GU I add a +1/+1 evolution token to all my creatures, put the Gargantuan on my library, then redraw it with the Mage (multiple Mages should make this really interesting).
    Harrow is fantastic at this, and Sakura-Tribe Elder is also very good. Rampant Growth is decent. Those are the main ones that work with basics, I think, as Kodama's Reach and Cultivate aren't what you're looking for without Summer Bloom. As for avoiding decking, just stick one Elixir of Immortality in your deck. You'll draw it eventually, play it, crack it, and you'll never run out of cards.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1487

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Harrow is fantastic at this, and Sakura-Tribe Elder is also very good. Rampant Growth is decent. Those are the main ones that work with basics, I think, as Kodama's Reach and Cultivate aren't what you're looking for without Summer Bloom. As for avoiding decking, just stick one Elixir of Immortality in your deck. You'll draw it eventually, play it, crack it, and you'll never run out of cards.
    Nature's Lore is a strictly better Rampant Growth if you don't mind being limited to finding a Forest.

Krosan Wayfarer is a 1-drop green 1/1 with "sacrifice: put a land into play."

Elvish Pioneer is a 1-drop green 1/1 with "When Elvish Pioneer comes into play, you may put a basic land card from your hand into play tapped."

Diligent Farmhand is a 1-drop green 1/1 with "1G, Sacrifice Diligent Farmhand: Search your library for a basic land card and put that card into play tapped. Then shuffle your library."

Wood Elves is a 2G 1/1 with "When Wood Elves comes into play, search your library for a Forest card and put that card into play."

One with Nature is a G enchant creature with "Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player, you may search your library for a basic land card and put that card into play tapped." Stick it on a U creature with flying and/or unblockable.

Those are probably the available options for $1 or less.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Ogre in the Playground

Someone gonna make a new thread?
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Someone gonna make a new thread?
    Thought someone more involved in the day to day chatter would do it, but it it now done

NEW THREAD (Exile all post on the stack, including this post. The player whose turn it is discards down to his or her maximum hand size. Damage wears off, and "this turn" and "until end of turn" effects end.)
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2015-05-22 at 08:31 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Thought someone more involved in the day to day chatter would do it, but it it now done

NEW THREAD (Exile all post on the stack, including this post. The player whose turn it is discards down to his or her maximum hand size. Damage wears off, and "this turn" and "until end of turn" effects end.)
    P shouldn't equal 1929292

P shouldn't equal anything.

There also shouldn't be an ampersand.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    P shouldn't equal 1929292

P shouldn't equal anything.

There also shouldn't be an ampersand.
    no idea how I messed that up.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    no idea how I messed that up.
    This Link is working for me.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tabletop RPGs

Other Geeky Hobbies
    Ridley/Lucina main SSBU

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla_pasta View Post
    This Link is working for me.
    Well, yeah. He fixed it.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.