New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG X: For Obscure Cultural Reasons, We Have Huuuuuuge Tracts Of Land

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    *mews sadly, curls up in a corner waiting for her approval*
    *offers mouse*

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG X: For Obscure Cultural Reasons, We Have Huuuuuuge Tracts Of Land

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    *offers mouse*
    *purrs, devours tribute*

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

*purrs, devours tribute*
    *pets cat-C'nor behind the ears*

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

*pets cat-C'nor behind the ears*
    *wonders when she stopped being a birdgirl, thinking about it, but settles contentedly.

So, once we manage to get there, what are your thoughts on adding Maur's Skin to Tzaltec Fire?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Dropping in quickly for a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    The far east and far west are possibly not as far away from each other as it might appear, these days.

Edit: ninjad. There are relatively few discovered regions currently free in either the west or east without taking over an existing NPC so it might be best to ask Morph if you are to abandon Alydaxis. I believe in those areas it's basically 142, 78 (currently being colonised), 83 (also being colonised), 104, 107, 113 and, since it's obviously there even if we technically can't see it, 72.
    76B is also available, as are the other underground regions of the West.

*mews sadly, curls up in a corner waiting for her approval*
    Ahh, okay.
    When it is, I can post your land post in the Lands thread temporarily. Until you gain access to a computer.

Also, I don't mean this in a bad way, but the world may not wrap around anytime soon (if at all). Have you thought about starting in the East? There are orcs to beat up there, somewhere. I believe.

EDIT - Typo
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-11-03 at 03:03 AM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oke, internet, finally.

Tuessday two weeks ago I agreed with Morph that I should not roll the tactical manouvering and let that to the round opening. This was because tactical manouvering operates under similar rules as regular combat and was open to some explotation (such as letting another player roll again if you rolled low, or mix-maxing manouver tech with allies or buying off neutral players when the total difference after the rolls is 1, we've all been there with combat rolls, it's could also pose a problem with tactical manouvering). I thought Morph agreed to let the round opener and other GMs know, but I guess he forgot or disposed of the idea without telling me..... Which resulted in me wasting 4 actions. Great. Yeah. What do the other GMs think about this?

Also, I was very very pissed when I read that the tactical manouvering had failed because of what (probably) was a communitation error. So I think I'm going to get a few days break regardless to see if I really want to continue this (my bad luck streak is amazing). I'll still be on for the Venture! probably.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

I could but I'd lose out on the Niskovian connection? And probably the frozen land thing too. *is puzzled*

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

I could but I'd lose out on the Niskovian connection? And probably the frozen land thing too. *is puzzled*
    Indeed, but you'd gain other connections and there are quite a few mountainous frozen regions there one of which may be unexplored but available to a new player. EDIT - Also, region 73 looks forested with plenty of water and my nearby region of 75 is described as temperate.
    It was just a suggestion in case you hadn't thought much on it. Sorry.
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-11-03 at 03:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, I have plans for the nearby stuff too. ;3 Ancient ruins and all.

Besides, I like Kitsanth. Not gonna run out on her~

Edit: Or I might. Lacking chill is an issue.
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2014-11-03 at 03:46 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    Oke, internet, finally.

Tuessday two weeks ago I agreed with Morph that I should not roll the tactical manouvering and let that to the round opening. This was because tactical manouvering operates under similar rules as regular combat and was open to some explotation (such as letting another player roll again if you rolled low, or mix-maxing manouver tech with allies or buying off neutral players when the total difference after the rolls is 1, we've all been there with combat rolls, it's could also pose a problem with tactical manouvering). I thought Morph agreed to let the round opener and other GMs know, but I guess he forgot or disposed of the idea without telling me..... Which resulted in me wasting 4 actions. Great. Yeah. What do the other GMs think about this?

Also, I was very very pissed when I read that the tactical manouvering had failed because of what (probably) was a communitation error. So I think I'm going to get a few days break regardless to see if I really want to continue this (my bad luck streak is amazing). I'll still be on for the Venture! probably.
    Ah. Well, when the rules changed so that the round opener did the battle rolls, tactical manoeuvring was explicitly left in the hands of the players (here) and not having heard any different I proceeded on that basis. There was also the issue that there is no sea route from Shikurai to Cuan so the navy couldn't get there anyway - while Quinton pointed out that you had put in your actions to move the ships overland, there's no precedent for that and it's debatable whether that should work (if it were possible to move ships across several overland units, it would make the canals obsolete). That aside, a lot of the issues with this battle are because nothing like it's ever happened before and it's unclear exactly how things work. I did run it past Morph and Quinton but if you think you've been screwed over or any of the rules interpretations are blatantly wrong then discussing it with them probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

A few of the things pretty much indisputably wouldn't work - the militia can't be used the round they're called, and calling the militia has always taken a full, separate action in the past that I've seen. The assumption has also always been afaik that naval troops can only carry an equal number of other troops at a time, which would have limited the aerial numbers even if the navy could get there, and as far as I'm aware while the Marius' Prowess is fluffwise an airship, in rules terms aerial naval carriers are surface vessels and thus subject to the rules for conventional navies. A lot of the rest of it I/we had to make up for this battle based on what seemed sensible.

In any case, you lost a thousand troops, so it wasn't a complete disaster (I've lost four times that number to random neighbours attacking me in the last two rounds). These things happen when a completely landlocked empire most of whose troops can't swim tries to create an underwater colony completely unconnected to the rest of its territories.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-11-03 at 04:50 AM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

If you really want cold, then the icy North is available above Niskovia. However, polar regions have resource limitations, so I fully understand if you don't want to go that way.
    Anyways... If you really want the cold, you could just say unnatural weather patterns are responsible. All of Telluris is covered by unnatural weather patterns if you think about it. Just cover the Ash Kingdom with an unnatural haze that blocks much of the sunlight and either develop a tech or use a miracle to spread it over regions you conquer or decide you don't like.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, more I was hoping for some cold regions about. I don't want it to be a weird thing, y'know? Just weather.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Well, more I was hoping for some cold regions about. I don't want it to be a weird thing, y'know? Just weather.
    Well there's always P6 and P7. 113 too, which looks fairly cold. Although we do play climate patterns a bit fast and loose the probably-tropical if not equitorial latitude, and map colouring, as well as its nearly complete surrounding by water, doesn't make 73 look particularly chilly.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-11-03 at 05:02 AM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

14. - Top - End - #74

Ah. Well, when the rules changed so that the round opener did the battle rolls, tactical manoeuvring was explicitly left in the hands of the players (here) and not having heard any different I proceeded on that basis. There was also the issue that there is no sea route from Shikurai to Cuan so the navy couldn't get there anyway - while Quinton pointed out that you had put in your actions to move the ships overland, there's no precedent for that and it's debatable whether that should work (if it were possible to move ships across several overland units, it would make the canals obsolete). That aside, a lot of the issues with this battle are because nothing like it's ever happened before and it's unclear exactly how things work. I did run it past Morph and Quinton but if you think you've been screwed over or any of the rules interpretations are blatantly wrong then discussing it with them probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

A few of the things pretty much indisputably wouldn't work - the militia can't be used the round they're called, and calling the militia has always taken a full, separate action in the past that I've seen. The assumption has also always been afaik that naval troops can only carry an equal number of other troops at a time, which would have limited the aerial numbers even if the navy could get there, and as far as I'm aware while the Marius' Prowess is fluffwise an airship, in rules terms aerial naval carriers are surface vessels and thus subject to the rules for conventional navies. A lot of the rest of it I/we had to make up for this battle based on what seemed sensible.

In any case, you lost a thousand troops, so it wasn't a complete disaster (I've lost four times that number to random neighbours attacking me in the last two rounds). These things happen when a completely landlocked empire most of whose troops can't swim tries to create an underwater colony completely unconnected to the rest of its territories.
    Ah ok. That explains. It's no problem, I'll just roll with it. Was just like "Wait...wut? Huh..This is not that I was told". This sorta things happens. I'll just try again this round. Also, fluffwise, all of Kasumor's troops can swim. However, it would be downright cheating if that counted. Hhhmm....tech idea...or a mirracle.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2014-11-03 at 05:08 AM.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Well... I can only intermittently see the map, is part of it. And even then, the numbers are nigh-illegible. :o

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, I have plans for the nearby stuff too. ;3 Ancient ruins and all.

Besides, I like Kitsanth. Not gonna run out on her~

Edit: Or I might. Lacking chill is an issue.
    Ancient ruins are cool and I remember you wanted some stuff to conquer.

Kitsanth is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    If you really want cold, then the icy North is available above Niskovia. However, polar regions have resource limitations, so I fully understand if you don't want to go that way.
    Anyways... If you really want the cold, you could just say unnatural weather patterns are responsible. All of Telluris is covered by unnatural weather patterns if you think about it. Just cover the Ash Kingdom with an unnatural haze that blocks much of the sunlight and either develop a tech or use a miracle to spread it over regions you conquer or decide you don't like.
    I don't like the thought of someone say... spreading osmium gas throughout my lands or blotting out the sun causing them to become wastes.
    Just for the record. I mean... There's nothing much I can do to stop them, but...

Well there's always P6 and P7. 113 too, which looks fairly cold. Although we do play climate patterns a bit fast and loose the probably-tropical if not equitorial latitude, and map colouring, as well as its nearly complete surrounding by water, doesn't make 73 look particularly chilly.
    Aedilred beat me to it.
    /pins a badge which says 'reliable' to Aedilred's sleeve

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

On the subject of cold regions, there's also potentially the region I explored last round - it's inside the mountain range that basically walls off the eastern continent, and has been universally described as incredibly high and hostile. It could get pretty cold up there. We also have a decent concentration of ancient ruins in that general area.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

18. - Top - End - #78

Btw, Aedilred, can you change the Ridovo death event in the openingpost to 2000 lost Sympol troops? As there were no Tzaltec troops present.

Also, control over Gunung was passed over to Calorum, it's in my action post.

Edit: Ok....action post up. Not making the same mistake twice. Also, Diplomacy might be better here....
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2014-11-03 at 05:45 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm... Could work, yeah. What sort of ancient ruins are we talking?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    Also, control over Gunung was passed over to Calorum, it's in my action post.
    Nicely timed.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

21. - Top - End - #81

Nicely timed.
    Thank you, I do try.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm... Could work, yeah. What sort of ancient ruins are we talking?
    Well, there is an entire ancient city to the south in region 88. That's controlled by Aedilred's Kingdom of the Carmine Sea. But where there's one dead jungle city, there are almost certainly more.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

That sounds quite nice, actually... Hrm.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

New rulers are typically posted here and edited into your nation post. Rolls are done in the communal thread and linked. There are no dedicated country threads, and the only active alliance thread I'm aware of is the Concordat one. Which, as a vassal of the Glazfell, you are welcome in.

Speaking of which, is it required to assign new rulers' stats before they're rolled (by labeling each 1d4 roll), or is that just how people have chosen to do it?
    Okay, so I'd need a new thread if I want to roleplay her appointment. Got it.

It's required if you're continuing a line, but if you're a new player or starting a new dynasty you can assign as you will. As I understand it.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Okay, so I'd need a new thread if I want to roleplay her appointment. Got it.
    If you just want to write a fluff piece or short story about her appointment then that can go in the IC thread, like the TALE OF IRONFANG! or Dark Moon Rises, etc. If it's going to be a full RP involving other players and their characters then a new IC thread would be appropriate: we have threads for pretty much all such events, like those listed in the OP.

It's required if you're continuing a line, but if you're a new player or starting a new dynasty you can assign as you will. As I understand it.
    That's pretty much it, yeah. To an extent it's up to the player which system to use depending on the circumstances. Although conventionally children of the previous ruler (or indeed a previous ruler, not necessarily the most recent) gain their bonuses, there is room for a bit of interpretation: an unrelated character who has been raised as heir would be eligible for the succession bonus, whereas an eldest child who was exiled for the previous ruler's entire reign might well start from scratch.

If you're using bonuses from a previous ruler (as I imagine DarkDM would want to) then the stats are rolled in order; if not then it's 5d4 assigned freely with two +1s as with a region's first ruler.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Dark, you got fluff up for your Unmarked somewhere? All I'm really wondering is if they get names or not. I'm making one a sword : P
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

27. - Top - End - #87

Hey guys, funny anecdote here:

So I can finally take a Cur 5 Action this round, and while the smart thing to do would be to upgrade my Bat's to a Great Resource so I have more to trade, that is also boring, so I was going to turn one of my other resources into a wacky magical or semi-magical Unique Resource.

I was researching mythical crops, and the best I could find was the Chinese concept of The 5 Grains. So I was going to turn my normal grains into "The Five Suns Grain" and claim it had strange mystic properties that I could use to justify making it the heart of a whole bunch of Tech Adaptation projects.

But it seemed a bit of a stretch. Sure I could make Beer for Heart Wine, and Biofuel for oil and various our setting's various Super Oils, but I couldn't really justify much more then that. So, looking into what crops are used as paper I came, inevitably, across Hemp.

Holy hell, Hemp is impossible. I did not know this.
    It's apparently a genuinely nutritional food stuff, you can make almost any imaginable material out of its fiber, not only can it be used to make biodiesel it apparent makes some of the most potent, oh yeah, and let we forget, it's also a fairly well enjoyed recreational drug.

I'm actually kind of annoyed. I was looking forward to inventing some preposterous magical super crop, but it makes way more sense to just have Crima discover Hemp of all things. I feel more then a little shaky on doing that though... I'm an American, so, I'm culturally trained to regard Hemp as sort of, I don't know, sort of the comical smelly hobo of crops.

Frankly, I'd feel more respectable replacing my Grain with Poppies...
    ...with a vengeance!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

And now you know why you come across those people who rave on about how amazing hemp is now and then. It really is a genuinely useful plant and our disdain for it is entirely cultural.

Edit: wait, your location says Austin. How can you be from Austin and not be aware of how awesome hemp is?
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2014-11-03 at 09:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

On the matter of hemp, I feel obligated to point out that not all variants of that plant need have psychoactive properties. As with many plants that have been domesticated that possess multiple uses, different varieties have been bred. Simply say you have a cultivar that contains very little of the active ingredient sought after for "recreational" uses.
    Then you can go wild with fibres and make ropes, cloth, paper, etc.
    There's also no requirement to use a plant from the real world. If you want Cree plant breeders to develop some sort of super grain, go wild.

And on the topic of poppies... I beat you there.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Edit: wait, your location says Austin. How can you be from Austin and not be aware of how awesome hemp is?
    Because the average advocate around here isn't super well informed. They're prone to waving around really ugly malformed "jewelry" on frayed dirty looking hemp rope proclaiming, "Dude, it like, totally has other uses 'sides gettin' stoned an' stuff, man! Like, look at this awesome jewelry I made!".

That's how.
    ...with a vengeance!