New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default What is the lamest prestige class concept (to you)

Is fluff just too specific or does the crunch have no real bearing in most adventures? Or does the class just seem...lame? most importantly, WHY?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: What is the lamest prestige class concept (to you)

In Song and Silence there was a prestige class about cursing yourself into a drider form.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-11-05 at 01:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

{obligatory Risen Martyr reference}

I'll be a bit controversial here though and say I don't like one of the best PrCs in core, Archmage. Really, any wizard or sorcerer who gets that high up should have that title, and those options (or similar ones) should be available to all such casters. Ditto Hierophant and Arch-Psion.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Cloaked Dancer. I like the concept, but it doesn't really do anything.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Halfling Whistler is a good class crunch-wise, but its very hard to overcome the inherent silliness of whistling in a combat situation (unless you're Yondu).
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Daggerspell Shaper. It's just so absurdly specialized.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Was it "Harper Agent" that didn't add anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by doko239 View Post
    Or be a Bard Lich and tell people you're Keith Richards
    If I'm a monk using lettuce as an Improvised Thrown Weapon, does that make me a salad-tosser ???
    Les Goblins Toxiques : A geek blog (in French) where I write about RPG, M:TG and such. Also has a podcast / radio show. RIP 2012 We had a great run but RL caught up with us!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Acolyte of the Skin never appealed to me that much. A deal with a devil should be giving you more power, not takng it away by giving you fewer spellcaster levels! That's why I modified the Alienist prestige class to fulfill the deal with a devil niche in my campaign.

Also, Ravager has always bothered me. It seems so cool, but its so bad!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Ladies and gentlemen, feast your eyes on the Fleet Runner of Ehlonna!

The easiest entry class is straight cleric...and it gives only half casting progression!

It has a bad Reflex save...and grants you Improved Evasion!

It can jump from a standing start without penalty...and Jump is a cross-class skill!

It gives you the ability to pounce...and "Shot on the Run" for free!

It has pounce and a combat feat for free...and has medium BAB progression!

Literally most of class features focus around running...since you'll be running away quite often!

It is...the most confused prestige class in the world!

"I don't always remain on the battlefield, but when I do, it's not for very long."
    --Fleet Runner of Ehlonna
    In all seriousness, this prestige class entertains me with how many directions it's trying to go in at once.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Anchorite: A caster that can't travel more than 100 feet from his house and thus operates through a willing human familiar called a proxy. Worst. concept. ever.
    1) "Let's split up!"
    2) silence
    3) TPK

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Harlot View Post
    Anchorite: A caster that can't travel more than 100 feet from his house and thus operates through a willing human familiar called a proxy. Worst. concept. ever.
    Does the human familiar get to make use of any of your class levels, spells etc.?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

The only reference to a class with that specific name is on the D&D wiki in the homebrew section. For the sake of the server, I'd advise against opening up the thread to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

13. - Top - End - #13

ElfMonkGuy

Arcane Archer, though I'm blurring the lines between 'concept' and 'execution' here.

They've had so long to get it right, but the class is still laughably bad.

14. - Top - End - #14

Every time I read the fluff for Urban Savant, I think of this A Softer World comic.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    The only reference to a class with that specific name is on the D&D wiki in the homebrew section. For the sake of the server, I'd advise against opening up the thread to that.
    Crap, you're right! I always assumed that the wiki version was the same as the Ravenloft (Domains of Dread) Version, but looking it up properly, it clearly isn't - the ravenloft version is not a prestige class and it seems to be some weird priest/paladin combo having 'mistwalking'. - clearly able to travel and no mention of proxy...
    Last edited by Harlot; 2014-11-05 at 03:52 PM.
    1) "Let's split up!"
    2) silence
    3) TPK

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Fleet Runner silliness -snip-

In all seriousness, this prestige class entertains me with how many directions it's trying to go in at once.
    Hey I won that round of Iron Chef!

My answer: Shining Blade of Heironeous, a ten level prestige class that (supposedly) makes my sword better(?)
    Last edited by dysprosium; 2014-11-05 at 04:39 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Crap, you're right! I always assumed that the wiki version was the same as the Ravenloft (Domains of Dread) Version, but looking it up properly, it clearly isn't - the ravenloft version is not a prestige class and it seems to be some weird priest/paladin combo having 'mistwalking'. - clearly able to travel and no mention of proxy...
    Even the homebrew one is not a lame idea for an NPC prestige class. It's like a form of Astral Projection several levels early (And without the 'hide in my own little demiplane' shenanigans accompanying that level).

18. - Top - End - #18

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anachronity View Post
    Arcane Archer, though I'm blurring the lines between 'concept' and 'execution' here.

They've had so long to get it right, but the class is still laughably bad.
    I'd have to agree with this. A simple fix for the class would be full or even half casting progression. Let it stack with duskblade so that if you go dusk/AA you get full attack chanelling at level 13, assuming you took levels in only those two classes.

Another archery one that just doesn't work, Order of the bow initiate. Archery is based around hitting someone as far away from you as possible, yet for this class to even work, you have to stay within charging distance of just about everything. Seriously, wth.
    Check out my Campaign World, Hiltmarch
    http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...ikis/main-page

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Somewhere, Conan the Barbarian refuses to weep, and instead curses Crom for permitting WotC to botch his class so badly.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lytokk View Post
    Another archery one that just doesn't work, Order of the bow initiate. Archery is based around hitting someone as far away from you as possible, yet for this class to even work, you have to stay within charging distance of just about everything. Seriously, wth.
    Seconded. The class's abilities would be a lot more thematically fitting if the range restriction on its precision damage was removed, or at least extended to 1 full range increments. It's still a fairly solid class (after all, it's a better damage progression than Skirmish and can keep up with Travel Devotion full-attackers via Greater Manyshot), but having to stay within 30 feet is really annoying for any archer.

As for my choice: Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil. I hate the "prismatic X" spells, and can't stand anything that expands/builds upon them. I don't care how much fun you may have rolling on tables to determine what your spells do, I don't like those spells. If you want rainbows, play Rainbow Servant. Also, the artwork for IotSV is pretty bad.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2014-11-05 at 05:57 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Master of Masks had good flavor but the execution was just simply appalling.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Blackguard is alright, except for the weird hide requirement. Because everyone knows that the first thing fallen paladins do is hide from stuff. Hiding from things is an integral step of the process to bind one's soul to a fiend as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Is fluff just too specific or does the crunch have no real bearing in most adventures? Or does the class just seem...lame? most importantly, WHY?

Any prestige class that adds melee flavor to Wizards . You simply don't need it !!! Spells are always better from a sword , and in the end if you wanna fight melee from time to time , you could transform yourself in an effective "fighter" with your spells (Tenser's Transformation etc)

But my least favorite prestige class in the game is the Green star adept !Good and strong abilities but the lore simply sucks !!! It is a mix of Superman , hulk and Merlin that i , personally , cant find attractive and most important i think that it really doesn't fit in any usual campaign

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by True believer View Post
    Any prestige class that adds melee flavor to Wizards . You simply don't need it !!! Spells are always better from a sword , and in the end if you wanna fight melee from time to time , you could transform yourself in an effective "fighter" with your spells (Tenser's Transformation etc)

But my least favorite prestige class in the game is the Green star adept !Good and strong abilities but the lore simply sucks !!! It is a mix of Superman , hulk and Merlin that i , personally , cant find attractive and most important i think that it really doesn't fit in any usual campaign
    Lets get one thing straight, while wizards are at their strongest when casting spells instead of swinging swords; if they do want to wade into melee, Tenser's Transformation doesn't the opposite of making one an effective "fighter"
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Green Star Adept. "I eat this meteor rock, and as a result I can slow my caster level down!"
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Green Star Adept. "I eat this meteor rock, and as a result I can slow my caster level down!"
    Seems legit. This is why you don't put random glowing space rocks into your mouth.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    In Song and Silence there was a prestige class about cursing yourself into a drider form.
    I like that one, personally. Unfortunately, there's that stupid little caviat where it only becomes actually useful near the end of its run, when you get the ability to multiweapon fight with an extra set of limbs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Dwarven Defender. Their entire combat style focuses on not moving. I don't care if you live in tunnels; not meting able to advance or fall back is a very good way to die.

Champion of Llanfair*pwllgwyn*gyllgo*gery*chwyrn*drobwll*llant y*silio*gogo*goch Gwynharwyf. I'm so Good at being angry it makes me magic.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    I like that one, personally. Unfortunately, there's that stupid little caviat where it only becomes actually useful near the end of its run, when you get the ability to multiweapon fight with an extra set of limbs...
    If it were any other monster then it would make more sense. But becoming a Drider is a divine punishment. Why would anyone intentionally subject themselves to a divine punishment?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    If it were any other monster then it would make more sense. But becoming a Drider is a divine punishment. Why would anyone intentionally subject themselves to a divine punishment?
    Someone with a very specific dysmorphic disorder?
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Someone with very specific fetishes? Someone who realized it was CR 7 as opposed to the drow's 1?