New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Eight Creatures?

Please forgive me if this has been addressed somewhere, and this might be easily explained by someone with better knowledge of D&D mechanics than I, a simple plebeian, possess.

V requested an item in the latest comic that can teleport eight creatures several hundred miles to the last gate. But are there not nine creatures in the order now? Roy, Haley, Elan, Durkula, Belkar, and Vaarsuvius make the Order's core members, and Blackwing, Mr. Scruffy, and Bloodfeast the Extreminator add three additional creatures, totaling nine. V is certainly counting Mr. Scruffy, else the count wouldn't be so high, so why leave out Bloodfeast? Blackwing went to rescue him when they were boarding the mechane, so V is presumably aware of Bloodfeast's existence. Also kind of hard to forget a bad-ass dinosaur ride.

Do V and Blackwing count as one creature due to their arcane bond? Is the teleporter not counted among the traveler count? Is V going to... murder one of the order?? Dun dun duuun!

Seriously though, I'm just curious for no really good reason.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Eight Creatures?

Yes, Blackwing is automatically teleported with V as part of the Familiar package.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Blackwing is bonded to V so thoroughly that Blackwing's soul gets pulled down to Hell at the same time V does even though he never agreed to the contract. One would hope he'd at least get being counted with V for the purposes of teleportation out of the deal.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Does RAW actually state that a familiar must teleport along with its master? I couldn't find any reference in the SRD to that.

5. - Top - End - #5

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/so....htm#familiars

Share Spells
    At the master’s option, he may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts on himself also affect his familiar. The familiar must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit.

If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the familiar if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the familiar again even if it returns to the master before the duration expires. Additionally, the master may cast a spell with a target of "You" on his familiar (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.

A master and his familiar can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the familiar’s type (magical beast).

When one casts teleport, one casts it on "you" as well as others (allowing one to invoke Share Spells).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/teleport.htm
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2014-11-17 at 07:06 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

Ah, I think I skimmed over that bit because it didn't occur to me it would apply to Teleport...yeah, sounds pretty solid evidence that Blackwing can teleport "for free" so long as V chooses to share the spell with him.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

See? This is why you shouldn't name any of your class features. As soon as you do, somebody's going to assume you need to separately teleport your spells, spellbooks, bonus languages, etc.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The familiar's bond only applies to spells you cast, though. That might work for a scroll or staff, but V can't use a scroll or staff of teleport for the same reason e can't cast it emself. Using something like a Helm of Teleportation, though, wouldn't be V casting a spell, so e couldn't share it with Blackwing.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe V has trouble with math. That's possible, too.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

You want them to take a dessert dwelling dinosaur polymorphed into a lizard into the frozen north... They simply dispelled the polymorph spell and released him back into the wild off screen, where he can live happily ever after!

11. - Top - End - #11

Nope. We've seen Bloodfeast on the airship since they left the Western Continent.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Malek2991 View Post
    You want them to take a dessert dwelling dinosaur polymorphed into a lizard into the frozen north... They simply dispelled the polymorph spell and released him back into the wild off screen, where he can live happily ever after!
    Elan's triplet Anel went missing when he was a baby as he was sadly taken by a Trifle Triceratops. He is currently plotting to open a rift out of the Whipped Cream Plane so he can declare war on the peoples of the Ranch Dressing Plane and expand his multi-planar Empire of Eclairs.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Elan's triplet Anel went missing when he was a baby as he was sadly taken by a Trifle Triceratops. He is currently plotting to open a rift out of the Whipped Cream Plane so he can declare war on the peoples of the Ranch Dressing Plane and expand his multi-planar Empire of Eclairs.
    Nu uh, he's totally in the Semi-Elemental Plane of Parfait! Unless I'm confusing him with Anle, Elan's other brother...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

I thought Anle was one of his sisters? Along with Lena and Nela?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Anel is his long lost brother. Lena is the evil sister, who has Anel locked in a dungeon.

It seems she has an anel-retentive personality.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

V knows that Bloodfeast isn't a permanent member of the team. He wasn't even in the group shots of the last book's final strip.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2014-11-23 at 01:01 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Anel is his long lost brother. Lena is the evil sister, who has Anel locked in a dungeon.

It seems she has an anel-retentive personality.
    That was a low blow, sir.

And also, considerably funnier than it should have been.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Perhaps he doesn't want Durkula? Or Roy had shared with him the prophecy about Belkar and he can do the math because he knows how many days are left...

Dun dun duuuun