New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Splitting the Imbued Arrow: Is it TO?

I mean, from what I understand, Mailman is TO. Hypothetically, I imagine that would could accomplish similiar damage output by stack MM on spells like Wings of Flurry (which has spell resistance, blegh), Fireball (Crummy, but as an example of stacking Admixture types), and Hail of Stone (No SR, deals damage). If the target is near an object to aim your 2d4+2 (potentially 2d2+10 with maximize empowered Arrowsplit on a Splitting Bow) arrows could just layer No Target/No SR/No Save spells like Hail of Stone.

EDIT: I'll posit a build later on. I've got a couple of tricks to showcase with this one.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-11-18 at 10:43 AM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Post Re: Splitting the Imbued Arrow: Is it TO?

Note that whether this works depends on whether your DM considers the imbued spell to be a "property" of the arrow. The only clear place that term is used is in the weapons tables; beyond that is a DM call.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-11-18 at 11:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Splitting the Imbued Arrow: Is it TO?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Note that whether this works depends on whether your DM considers the imbued spell to be a "property" of the arrow. The only clear place that term is used is in the weapons tables; beyond that is a DM call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowsplit
    This spell is cast upon a masterwork arrow or bolt, causing it to split in mid-flight into 1d4+1 identical masterwork arrows or bolts."
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitting
    Both missiles are identical, sharing the nonsplitting properties of the original missile; for example, a +1 splitting arrow splits into two +1 arrows in mid-flight.
    "Identical." As in "alike in every detail." As in "particular facts or pieces of information of something or someone." Unless we're getting into a philosophical debate as to whether or not its a fact that I am using the Imbue Arrow ability, it has been posited.

I'll nip the next one at the bud. Enhanced weapons are considered masterwork.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-11-18 at 11:12 AM.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

The part after the comma goes on to explain what they mean by "identical" though - "sharing the nonsplitting properties of the original missile."

I'm not saying your interpretation is wrong by any means, just that it's not the only possible one.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Two boxes, for instance, can be said to be identical even if they contain different contents. The arrow could be regarded as a box, with the spell being the contents of the box.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The part after the comma goes on to explain what they mean by "identical" though - "sharing the nonsplitting properties of the original missile."

I'm not saying your interpretation is wrong by any means, just that it's not the only possible one.
    Clarifications don't really work in 3.5. Half of the time they give examples that don't really matter in the first place. For example, when it says it shares the nonsplitting properties, they could be saying that it has all of the trait of the original arrow, but it lacks the weapon property splitting. Or you can say only weapon properties are kept, which means you run into other dysfunctions (arrow material changes, markings and notches for identification are gone, enhancement bonus might now count as a weapon property).

Not that I am saying that it matters. It's considered fact that it works for the purpose of the argument "Split Imbued Arrows are TO." That's what I am interested in hearing from you guys.

Some more info on possible interactions and tricks (this will act as a bit of a scratch pad for a final build):
    Mailman style builds and tactics will still be useful, depending on the build. The bare minimum CL lost is 2 before other tricks. That means you are a 9th spell level caster if you are sorcerer.

This means the recommended build will likely resemble Sorc6/Incant10/AA2/Filler2. A more gish-centered build would allow for better attack ratings.

Unlike a mailman, you can add enhancement bonuses to your attack rolls. However, you have to make normal attacks, AFAICT.

Your Familiar can use a Wand of Arrowsplit on your arrows for you. Other spells, like the Imbue SLA spells, can accomplish as similiar task. The idea is that you save your Swift Action for what a Mailman would do with it.

Teaching a sorcerer Arrowsplit will allow more options for metamagic. This will require a trick of its own. However, with the rule that Helves are Human and Elves (Races of Destiny), you can be an AA/Chameleon, with access to Arrowsplit and WoF.

The casting time of and Imbued spell is always a standard action. MM time reduction isn't need for the AoE spells themselves.

You don't need to hit your target. Have your familiar put an object (drop it? Reduce fall speed?) next to what you are shooting at if they are in the air.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's switch 'imbue arrow' to 'spell-storing' and keep splitting and arrowsplit un-metamagic'ed to make this easier for a new viewpoint. Hi. I shoot a Fireball-spell storing arrow that splits into 4-10 arrows that proceed to fire off 4-10 fireballs at once.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    Let's switch 'imbue arrow' to 'spell-storing' and keep splitting and arrowsplit un-metamagic'ed to make this easier for a new viewpoint. Hi. I shoot a Fireball-spell storing arrow that splits into 4-10 arrows that proceed to fire off 4-10 fireballs at once.
    Well, I think Curmudgeon would have a fit.

Second, why not both?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Imbue arrow needs area spell ( i doubt you guys will problems making this ). The other is limited to 3rd level ( or 4th if you go sanctum metamagic route ). Hi I launch 4-10 Save or die low levels spells.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    Imbue arrow needs area spell ( i doubt you guys will problems making this ). The other is limited to 3rd level ( or 4th if you go sanctum metamagic route ). Hi I launch 4-10 Save or die low levels spells.
    Well, my idea was to make a mailman, but without the attack rolls (hit something near the target). However, a swarm of Weirds wouldn't do any harm... except they really would.

Another trick: Area spells with the Fell Drain MM.