New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Qwertystop's Unexpected-To-Everyone-Or-At-Least-To-Him Random Banter #210

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    The noise! The horrible ringing noise!

*has flashbacks*

I'm more used to the loud cracks and pops of sketchy wire connections and discharging capacitors, but that's mostly because I'm too lazy to disconnect my circuit from my speakers and power when I'm testing/changing it. Occasionally I get a really high-pitched squeak out of it, though.
    A few odds and ends.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Qwertystop's Unexpected-To-Everyone-Or-At-Least-To-Him Random Banter #210

At first I read this as "It's not very well documented". It made every bit of sense to me.
    It must've been confusing, reading about how my friends don't have computers because a program wasn't documented. Sounds like a crazy butterfly-effect type deal.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    If you do that, you end up like me and only show up when someone posts something that I know anything about. Much like I'm doing now.

A voltmeter is a tool that will measure voltage! Nowadays, voltmeters and ammeters (which measure electrical current) are typically put into the same device (which may have other functions), known as a multimeter (as it contains multiple meters >.>). My multimeter can also measure resistance and capacitance, and test diodes. And... probably a thing or two else, but that's all I've ever used it for.

And washing machines are pretty cool. I've never taken one of those apart, but I do remember opening up our dryer when there was something wrong with it. It's surprisingly difficult to tell exactly what's wrong with things in a confined space like that.
    Yeah that is generally what I do. Unless I get sidetracked, like I kinda did for a while. And now I return.

I've actually always wanting to learn things about electricity and how it works. I never took any classes for it in high school, since I was much more focused on math and arts than in science. But I thank you for explaining this to me. I should probably write it down somewhere...help me retain the knowledge.

Heh yeah, it's been so fun. Grandma and I have had a few issues. We had to take the thing apart at least 3 or 4 times and fix 2 other parts of the machine, 3 now, to find out why it was leaking. And we started working on it because it stopped cycling. Had to move the thing onto the porch each time to take it apart somewhere we would have the room to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    I got offered one of the most expensive rooms that the student accommodation organisation offers, and I was pretty upset... But not anymore. The size of my room is 20m2. Now I just gotta wait and find out if my new flatmate will be nice or not... If they're nice, I'll be living in paradise.
    Well that sounds pretty nice! I hope your flatmate will be good. Will you be able to afford the big room?

*nallehugs*

I'd say it's going well enough, so if you take my standards into account, it's probably going very well.
    Good to hear! ^_^ Glad school is going good then. Stress with it is kinda to be expected I think, but I'm sure you will be able to handle it.

*return hugs* Oh, just as a random mention since you just made me remember this. The other day when my grandma and I were in town, there was this person doing a sort of holiday bake-sale thing for Toys for Tots. Everything was pretty cheap so I looked through what there was, and found a mug with teddy bears holding umbrellas on it, and the writing "Holiday Greetings from Santa and his rain bears". It had bears and was punny and came with candy. So I had to get it. It's great for hot chocolate!

Just drop in and say something uninteresting that's happened in your life lately, I think people are willing to hook onto any little conversation line to talk with someone. And the washing machine is definitely more interesting than the average daily loop.

I would do it more often, but tiiime...
    Heh well coming up with something uninteresting shouldn't be too hard here. I always have many game things to mention, hopefully soon video stuff. And it's the holiday time so there's always something going on. So yay conversation! I would find the washing machine scenario more interesting to talk about, if it weren't for the having to move it inside and outside repeated times. But it really isn't all that bad, just sorta annoying.

Measuring electrical potential, actually, i.e. how strongly the electricity wants to go between the two meassuring points. For electrical use (or current), you would use an amperemeter. But close enough, one could definitely use one to calculate the other if one knew the resistance between the meassuring points.
    More to add to the accumulating knowledge of electricity. You learn something all the time I guess. A lot of these are terms I have at least heard, like electrical potential, volts, amps, and resistance. I just don't really know how it all works. I imagine learning all this may come in handy at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    The reason why: My roommate happened to know one of my friends from church.
    So that one situation is why your roommate isn't surprised that you know random people? Is where you live a big place or small? That could affect the odds a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Anyone else think the guitarist looks like Beavis?
    Hmm...maybe. Kinda? Been a long while since I've seen that show.
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haluesen View Post
    So that one situation is why your roommate isn't surprised that you know random people? Is where you live a big place or small? That could affect the odds a bit.
    Big-ish state university. And one of the girls I go to church and brunch with every Sunday happens to know my roommate.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

Well that sounds pretty nice! I hope your flatmate will be good. Will you be able to afford the big room?
    I can barely afford it, but it was kind of made clear that I don't have a choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Big-ish state university. And one of the girls I go to church and brunch with every Sunday happens to know my roommate.
    Ah I see then. Kinda a case of small world, kinda not though.

I can barely afford it, but it was kind of made clear that I don't have a choice.
    Oh...I didn't quite understand that. No choice but the pricey room? Kinda odd. I hope...well I guess hope it works out.
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

7. - Top - End - #397
    Troll in the Playground

Who wants a pretzel stick?
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

8. - Top - End - #398
    Colossus in the Playground

I got offered one of the most expensive rooms that the student accommodation organisation offers, and I was pretty upset... But not anymore. The size of my room is 20m2. Now I just gotta wait and find out if my new flatmate will be nice or not... If they're nice, I'll be living in paradise.
    Awesome! I hope they're good then. And I know you said it's something you can barely afford, so I hope that doesn't become an issue either!

9. - Top - End - #399

Good luck, FinnLassie! Hopefully you'll get a good flatmate, it's not a good experience having an annoying one. I haven't been to college/uni yet, but I've been on school trips where I've had to share rooms with annoying people, and trust me, it's not fun. *shudders* Still, I don't think that you can end up with anybody worse than my old roommate. He was a nutcase.
    Last edited by Solse; 2014-12-08 at 06:20 PM.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

I love telling my theatre paper story. (I told it to several people today)

You see, freshman year I had to write an essay on Shakespeare. I spent the first half talking about the language, and how it's more modern than people realize. For example, it's Early Modern English, not Old English. That part ended with the line "On the other hand, Old English actually is a different language. For example, 'Hwæt! we gar-Dena in ġear-dagum/ ̃eodcyngina ₫rym ellen fremedon.'" And it just ended there. No translation. Would have ruined the effect of "This is a different language. You aren't supposed to understand what I just said."
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking

11. - Top - End - #401

You see, freshman year I had to write an essay on Shakespeare. I spent the first half talking about the language, and how it's more modern than people realize. For example, it's Early Modern English, not Old English. That part ended with the line "On the other hand, Old English actually is a different language. For example, 'Hwæt! we gar-Dena in ġear-dagum/ ̃eodcyngina ₫rym ellen fremedon.'" And it just ended there. No translation. Would have ruined the effect of "This is a different language. You aren't supposed to understand what I just said."
    Oooh, that's a nice one.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

I've actually always wanting to learn things about electricity and how it works. I never took any classes for it in high school, since I was much more focused on math and arts than in science. But I thank you for explaining this to me. I should probably write it down somewhere...help me retain the knowledge.
    If you want to know stuff about electricity, I am your man. Between me and Teddy (and... I want to say Razanir? I know there's at least one more EE/CompE/CS guy in here), we can probably answer any questions you've got about that stuff. I mean... "electricity" covers quite a lot of stuff, so... what do you want to learn about?

ION: Compiling 3rd-party libraries so I can do my last homework of the semester. If only all of my homework was this effortless.

And by effortless I do in fact mean a royal pain in the ass.
    A few odds and ends.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

(and... I want to say Razanir? I know there's at least one more EE/CompE/CS guy in here),
    CS minor. Except so many people mistake me for a CS major. It's as if people expect their TA to, you know, actually be majoring in the subject.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Orc in the Playground

It's the first couple of lines of Beowulf, isn't it? You have excellent taste.
    Knitting my way through life, one purl of wisdom at a time.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

I'm more used to the loud cracks and pops of sketchy wire connections and discharging capacitors, but that's mostly because I'm too lazy to disconnect my circuit from my speakers and power when I'm testing/changing it. Occasionally I get a really high-pitched squeak out of it, though.
    Yeah, this was from a course in signal processing I had last year. As the last assignment, we were to filter out a strong 2.5 kHz tone (as well as a 5.5+ kHz static) from a Bethoven piece, and I'm telling you, creating that filter was hard, leading to a lot of playing the same piece over and over with that horrible ringing noise!

Me and I my partner managed to solve it in the end as I think the only team who didn't require teacher assistance, but it took lots of work and painful debugging of the little Atmel chip (I can tell you many things about Atmel now, and none are especially flattering), and it left a strange background noise sounding much like a hot bulb engine, but I think I might know what caused that at least, and I think the teacher was wrong in his guess.

Still, traumatised.

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    It must've been confusing, reading about how my friends don't have computers because a program wasn't documented. Sounds like a crazy butterfly-effect type deal.
    Well, I was thinking about the very last sentence, the one following the random point-giving. Perhaps I should have emphasised that. I'm kind of stuck dissecting the CPython virtual machine at the moment, and it's not only poorly documented, it's been refactored at least once, and the induced entropy is glorious in its opacity.

Good to hear! ^_^ Glad school is going good then. Stress with it is kinda to be expected I think, but I'm sure you will be able to handle it.
    Yeah, I'm holding together. I'm a high efficiency/high maintenance person, so I kinda start to bend when you start to cut into my maintenance time, but right now I'm still on the stable side of the balance.

*return hugs* Oh, just as a random mention since you just made me remember this. The other day when my grandma and I were in town, there was this person doing a sort of holiday bake-sale thing for Toys for Tots. Everything was pretty cheap so I looked through what there was, and found a mug with teddy bears holding umbrellas on it, and the writing "Holiday Greetings from Santa and his rain bears". It had bears and was punny and came with candy. So I had to get it. It's great for hot chocolate!
    Hehehe, sounds like a great find!

Heh well coming up with something uninteresting shouldn't be too hard here. I always have many game things to mention, hopefully soon video stuff. And it's the holiday time so there's always something going on. So yay conversation! I would find the washing machine scenario more interesting to talk about, if it weren't for the having to move it inside and outside repeated times. But it really isn't all that bad, just sorta annoying.
    Hehehe. Make sure to keep it in mind for the future!

More to add to the accumulating knowledge of electricity. You learn something all the time I guess. A lot of these are terms I have at least heard, like electrical potential, volts, amps, and resistance. I just don't really know how it all works. I imagine learning all this may come in handy at some point.
    Imagine electricity as pulling up a rope with weights on it. Then the resistance (meassured in ohm) is the weight of the rope, the potential (volts) the force you're pulling with and current (ampere) the speed at which the rope goes up. This doesn't explain the fine inner works, but it illustrates the relationship between the three primary properties of a circuit.

If you want to know stuff about electricity, I am your man. Between me and Teddy (and... I want to say Razanir? I know there's at least one more EE/CompE/CS guy in here), we can probably answer any questions you've got about that stuff. I mean... "electricity" covers quite a lot of stuff, so... what do you want to learn about?
    I've also done a bit of signal processing (see above), so I know a bit about the behaviour of some variable-resistance components in AC circuits. Sounds niche, but I think I could go back to highschool(-ish) and finish that radio project now...

ION: Compiling 3rd-party libraries so I can do my last homework of the semester. If only all of my homework was this effortless.

And by effortless I do in fact mean a royal pain in the ass.
    Third party libraries are a scourge upon Earth. And by that I mean an unwanted blessing and a necessary evil.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2014-12-09 at 06:04 AM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

16. - Top - End - #406

I think that if you translated it, your readers would've thought "Oh, that's very similar to English. It's not that different." You made a great choice.

And either way, linguistics is (are? I'm confused now) awesome. I'm an amateur at the whole thing, but the articles that I've read on it are fascinating. I don't know that much, but I want to learn a lot about it.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SeptimusFabrius View Post
    It's the first couple of lines of Beowulf, isn't it? You have excellent taste.
    We have a winner.

I think that if you translated it, your readers would've thought "Oh, that's very similar to English. It's not that different." You made a great choice.
    Whereas I purposely went far enough in the quote to get letters that don't even exist in Modern English, just to drive home the point.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

I tried to write a story about a hairdresser but I couldn't tie up all the split ends.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

19. - Top - End - #409

I tried to write a story about a hairdresser but I couldn't tie up all the split ends.
    Groannnnn...

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Too bad. The story would have made your hair stand on end.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

Too bad. The story would have made your hair stand on end.
    All I can say is that most stories involving hair get cut short, before they grow long.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Argh, I disappeared again without intention! I meant to come in here and write like a week ago. And then I got to where I didn't know how to jump in to conversing with people and didn't know what everyone else was talking about with pages upon pages to read... What have I missed? Are friends doing well? I can't read through so much to find out!

I need to stop this disappearing stuff...
    I'm not sure of friends, but I am doing well. A little very homesick at the minute, but well.

Heh well coming up with something uninteresting shouldn't be too hard here.
    Who knows, maybe your uninteresting somethings will turn out being interesting most of the time making it rather difficult to find uninteresting somethings after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post

Who wants a pretzel stick?
    Awww... Errr...?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    All I can say is that most stories involving hair get cut short, before they grow long.
    (I don't pun. But) My own hair is doing well at the moment. It's too long to glue up as-is, but I've finally got it to stop lying in front of my face.

I was shocked. Really. I look at my reflection rather rarely and a couple of weeks ago found my hair has reached shoulder length at the back (from about chin length).

EDIT - Tired misphrasing
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-12-09 at 10:39 AM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I bow to you. You are the rightful hair to the punning throne.

― Tim Fargo

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

I bow to you. You are the rightful hair to the punning throne.
    Well, you know what they say - Hair today, gone tomorrow!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

Oh...I didn't quite understand that. No choice but the pricey room? Kinda odd. I hope...well I guess hope it works out.
    The housing market isn't too good at this time of the year, so it's simply the fact that they don't have anything cheaper to offer me, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Awesome! I hope they're good then. And I know you said it's something you can barely afford, so I hope that doesn't become an issue either!
    I'll just have to eat less. StarvingFinn!

Good luck, FinnLassie! Hopefully you'll get a good flatmate, it's not a good experience having an annoying one. I haven't been to college/uni yet, but I've been on school trips where I've had to share rooms with annoying people, and trust me, it's not fun. *shudders* Still, I don't think that you can end up with anybody worse than my old roommate. He was a nutcase.
    I've been kinda lucky having nice flatmates (though some a bit messy, or too fussy) in the past, and I'm really hoping for that to continue. I think as long as they don't party in their small room or decide to take their dishes needing a wash to the shower I'll be alright. And if the flatmate will be a guy... they better either pee sitting down or remember to put the damn seat down.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

26. - Top - End - #416

I'll just have to eat less. StarvingFinn!

I've been kinda lucky having nice flatmates (though some a bit messy, or too fussy) in the past, and I'm really hoping for that to continue. I think as long as they don't party in their small room or decide to take their dishes needing a wash to the shower I'll be alright. And if the flatmate will be a guy... they better either pee sitting down or remember to put the damn seat down.
    The horror

In all seriousness, that sounds like a pretty alright set up. Just make sure to get the food you need! Eating is important for school work!

Fingers crossed that you don't get Kramer as your flatmate, then. And seriously, I don't understand how guys can even do that type of thing standing up. They seem so out of control with it in normal stuff, after all...at any rate, here's hoping that if your flatemate is a guy, they have that common courtesy.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Well I saw my Sarah walkin'
    With another man today
    Well I saw my Sarah' walkin'
    With another man today
    When I asked her what's the matter
    This is what I heard her say

See ya' later Terminator
    I'll be going out with Kyle
    See ya' later Terminator

Can't you see you're in my way now
    Don't you know you cramp my style

― Tim Fargo

28. - Top - End - #418

Well I saw my Sarah walkin'
    With another man today
    Well I saw my Sarah' walkin'
    With another man today
    When I asked her what's the matter
    This is what I heard her say

See ya' later Terminator
    See ya' later Terminator

Can't you see you're in my way now
    Don't you know you cramp my style
    Someone's excited for Ginesys.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Actually not. I got the line "See you later Terminator" in my head and had to get rid of it somehow.

― Tim Fargo

30. - Top - End - #420

Yeah, I hate partiers. If you're going to party, do it at a club, not in my room when I'm trying to sleep.