New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Blind Character with Raven Queen Patron

Not too long ago I asked if it was possible to have a blind character with find familiar, and the over all response was 'it requires an action to no' or 'homebrew it'. But now I have found the Raven Queen patron, which gives you a sentinel raven. All it says for that is 'you can see through the raven's eyes and hear what it hears while it is within 100 feet of you'. So.... would THIS allow for a blind character? It does not say it takes an action, or even a bonus action.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Default Re: Blind Character with Raven Queen Patron

You have successfully found a homebrew solution to the possibility of having a blind character.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lunali View Post
    You have successfully found a homebrew solution to the possibility of having a blind character.
    This response doesn’t make much sense to me. What’s the OP said that makes this a home brew solution?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    This response doesn’t make much sense to me. What’s the OP said that makes this a home brew solution?
    RQ Patron is UA content. I guess that would make it homebrew?

To the original question. I think it would work just fine.
    Last edited by Wildarm; 2019-05-27 at 11:43 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I've also run into folks who seem to allow the Voice of the Chain Master warlock invocation to allow using the familiar senses without requiring an action.

"VOICE OF THE CHAIN MASTER
    Prerequisite: Pact of the Chain feature
    You can communicate telepathically with your familiar and perceive through your familiar's senses as long as you are on the same plane of existence. Additionally. while perceiving through your familiar's senses, you can also speak through your familiar in your own voice, even if your familiar is normally incapable of speech."

I've usually interpreted the first sentence to be removing the range constraint of the find familiar spell but it does not specifically state that so it can also be interpreted to allow use of the familiar's senses at any time without requiring an action.
    Last edited by Keravath; 2019-05-27 at 12:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    The first couple google results were homebrew versions of it, I'd forgotten about the UA version.

7. - Top - End - #7

Lizardfolk

If you go Raven Queen I don't think you would even be blind anymore (when the raven is on your shoulder).
    "While the raven is perched on your shoulder, you gain darkvision with a range of 30 feet "
    No requirement that you even have vision beforehand.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

What is the point of being blind when you can still see?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by NatureKing View Post
    What is the point of being blind when you can still see?
    The raven can be temporarily killed if you don't leave it on your shoulder 24/7, and if you're using all your powers, it won't be 24/7. This means the disability can resurface at all sorts of different times. Some may be comedic, others may be dangerous. A lot of spells require sight. It's a nice bit of tension and incentive to strategize.

Additionally, it colors an intriguing character. Someone whose sight flits around the room with their bird will have different perspectives, and they may be underestimated if their blindness is physically obvious. These are perks. They also likely have had struggles with the blindness before they received their raven- or if it happened afterward, they still know how badly they'd be off without that bird. This is great backstory stuff, and it's got weight. It's akin to a ranger's reason for being drawn to a certain bow or a paladin's reason for taking up an oath.

At the end of the day, though, it's cool. And that's half the reason any of us build anything.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

I'm playing a blind Monk/Chainlock who sees out of the eye's of his Imp, but of course they required a small bit of hand waiving from the DM to not be terrible. I think the Raven Queen Warlock could do it better.