New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [EMPIRE][480] The Fourth Grand Ball

Time Bubble- Night of Day 3 (1 day after the Ball)
    The rooms had been prepared at the Seaborne Confederacy’s embassy. Timing was a full day after the ball, so that those uninvolced could depart. The Eldest Child of Kina had met with the Katava and Meztli, and had prepared them both for their part in the ceremony. Everything was ready as the guests arrived.

Katava hugged Meztli close and smiled down at her, bending down to look her child in the eye.

"There's nothing to be afraid of my dear, the Eldest will ask you questions and you will answer them as you know their answers to be."

Meztli seemed older as she nodded back at her mother an affirmative, her face set in determination. Katava smiled and rubbed the girl's shoulders before standing up. Katava looked back and saw her brother Pendraga looking on eagerly. When he saw her looking his direction he nodded his approval of the situation and Katava had to admit her own relief that the blessing for her to undergo the Voice had been secured. It would be good for her to know the Mother as her inheritance would remind her of her father often enough on its own.

The Eldest led them into a small interior room, bereft of furnishings save a small lectern. It was lit only with a single small lamp of kelp-olive oil. A smoking brazier giving off a sickly-sweet smell hung along one wall. Near the lectern was a small alcove covered by a heavy curtain. Katava ushered Meztli over to it. “Rest easy, cousin. Enter the Mother’s Embrace. Fear not the dark and the cold, for it is only a test of your faith in Kina.” Elemi told the girl as he pulled aside the curtain. A wave of cold, provided by a sliver of true ice, poured out cooling the room. The girl entered the chamber and Elemi shut the curtain behind her. A moment or two later, a small hand came through the curtain, dropping the robe the child had worn.

Elemi turned to the rest of the group. “Our cousin has entered the embrace of our Mother, naked and unafraid of the dark. Let her affirm her faith, as we reaffirm ours:”
    Dearest Meztli,do you believe that Kina is the Mother of the Night?”
    A small voice from behind the curtain said “I do."
    “Do you, her family, believe that Kina is the Mother of the Night?” The believers in the room answered affirmative.
    And so it went with the rest of the affirmations:
    Dearest Meztli,do you believe that all souls come from her and will return to her in their proper time?
    Do you, her family, believe that all souls come from her and will return to her in their proper time?
    Dearest Meztli, do you understand the great and terrible power to shape your world that you have been gifted.?
    Do you, her family, believe your child capable of shaping her world through the gift of Kina?
    Dearest Meztli, will you seek understanding of your actions and strive for purity of motivation?
    Will you, her family, teach your daughter to seek understanding of themselves from within?
    Dearest Meztli, will you respect life, and treat others so that you would willingly trade paths?
    Will you, her family, teach your daughter to respect life and treat others with respect?
    Dearest Meztli, do you understand that you will be judged by Khadi, and shown neither pity nor mercy for your deeds in life?
    Will you, her family, show her no pity, nor mercy, that they should be prepared for judgment by Khadi?”

Once the final affirmation was done, Elemi picked the robe up off the floor. He pushed it through the curtain. A moment later, a very cold Meztli emerged, shivering. He embraced the child, saying, “Welcome, cousin.” He motioned for the others to join in the hug.

Katava came forward and embraced her daughter warmly, telling her how proud she was of her. Pendraga was close behind telling the young girl she had been very brave and that the Mother would be watching over her now.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DurkBlanston View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ji listened curiously to Sucheta's tale, nodding along and raising his eyebrows slightly at points. At her conclusion he stepped back in time with the dance with an appraising look before coming back together and dancing on.

"I myself never personally met a Raaneki royal couple," he began, "My grandfather Cassius visited Raaneka twice, and for a man so filled with disdain for so many he carried none for Raaneka. He spoke well of King Tikta and Queen Bhakti as friends to his heart."

"I was among the children who heard the late Councilor Dieter Stein tell his tales of Raaneki splendor, he described the streets of Bandar as the most beauteous things he had ever laid eyes on and the Kindred Stadiums as the surest sign of peace and brotherhood among mortal creatures."

"My father told me stories too. Of my birth mother, the Princess R'jas of the Far West. He spoke of her beauty and her grace encapsulating and enrapturing all the men she spoke with. According to him, her mind was sharper than any other known to exist and she brought culture from the Old Imperium believed lost forever. I believe she was a great woman, I believe she was what my father saw her as."

"But I have been to the Far West, I have walked its lands. I have marched with the armies against the Kingdom of Zuiguo, the Kingdom from which all evidence supports my mother came from. The lands were not graceful, they were not more beautiful than any other, they were as any other lands are; filled with greed and poverty and those who desire power above all else."

"It's a strange thing, the power of memory."

He paused as the dance continued into an elaborate twirl.

"I was surprised to hear of Guilder's turnabout," he said seemingly changing the subject, "I had not truthfully expected it to be a task that might be accomplished. I owe you an apology for doubting you I think. You proved my presumptions about Guilder, and Raaneka, to be untrue. The sleeping imperial north awakens and the world takes note. It is no small feat to draw the eyes of the world upon you, but what does the Dawn plan to do now that it is united and awake once more?"

Spoiler: Snow
    Show

I hope you don't mind Ji's somewhat ignoring the implications, it's just that he didn't know that Raaneki Queen and as I hope is clear he's of the opinion that what matters now is now. The past being irrelevant to the current happenings. I hope it is as interesting a conversation as I'm shaping it in my head.
    "What more than to live, Ji?" Sucheta smiled as she gave her answer. The Caercian King's words had spoken of memory, and in it he had reached towards the heart of what seemed to be his problem in how he saw Raaneka. He had but stories, and then her appearance at the Coronation and that short dance at the Games. And in those moments, those places, she had been forced to step far beyond herself, to take upon herself the duties of a vassal of the Empire to which her ancestors had bound themselves - and now her - in far more direct a fashion then those ancestors ever had. Yet the duty of a vassal was to be a hand of their liege, and so she had been what her cousin had needed her to be.

"Myrida could give you a far better answer, but I will do my best. It's all we can do, after all." She spun beneath Ji's hand in time to the beat. "None of us wish for conflict, that is something I can promise you; as my letter said, Vizini sealed the MECK project when Guilder left the Concordat of Frost and Flame at the Summit five years ago. Yet," her smile slipped, "in showing the world that we are no longer sleeping, no longer gone, we made enemies, and it is the duty of all rulers to guard their people. So we seek friends, new and old, to build a future where the golden memories of which your grandfather spoke - and older ones, which I remember - might be truth again and not memory."

"Yet you have spoken of Guilder, and of the task that you believed it to be. Perhaps you are right, but what I told you at the gate was very true. Raaneka did not impose upon Guilder the changes that Vizini and his father made, it was simply the Empire's view after your Coronation that such a change was needed. And with that, and the small guidance that my own people and our cousins of Serendel, all that you have watched with amazement was brought to pass. I cannot claim credit, and I won't - it isn't mine to claim - but I can understand why it is on myself and my people that the focus falls. It was my words that promised we would see it done." She shrugged gracefully.

"We were the first sign of new life from the oldest of the Northern Empires. My words at your coronation, I have little doubt, are widely written. And in years to come, when I am long past, the way of history might indeed name me as the one who reforged an Empire that was thought to be crumbling, and without direction. Yet for all that the future might hold those things - and all that it might not - I would tell you again here, if I can, of its truth as I know it."

"The Empire of Dawn is a family, Ji, and we were one long before ties of blood were laid between those who speak for each of us. When a family finds that one of its members has strayed, has stumbled, you do not cast them away - you reach out to them and try to help set them on a path towards recovery. There can be stern words sometimes, and certainly there were here, but few, for they are not what holds a family together. And that is what you missed, when you thought to call Guilder beyond any means to save. What everyone missed, I think."

Spoiler: Durk
    Show
    I don't really mind at all. It's not really something I really see him as religiously equipped to deal with (no offence ). As for this, yeah it maybe got away from me a bit. But Sucheta is trying to be frank, as whilst she understands diplomatic smokescreens, Raaneki culture doesn't really appreciate them. Given her past conversations with Ji, he seems to be of a similar bent. So say hello to a crash course insight into EoD internal relations. It's a magical place.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    OOC: Myrida would have been at all of this. Just everything blew up and swept by me before I had a rightful post in. I'm putting this in to show she had been there the whole time, and what not.

Time Bubble (if anyone wants to do trades during this time, before the choas of the LoF event, approach me here, or just to interact)

Myrida Serendel was in a fine dark cloak, enjoying the warmer wool provided from the Grmanhili Sheep. She was unesquorted, and politely mingled with guests, searching out the new Huroshian Queen. Unfortunately, it seemed her quarry was no where to be seen. Possibly in that meeting that was arranged between Faedas, Calorum, and Hurosha. She was wary of the meeting, given the recent history of the three nations, but if it led to a peaceful resolution, it would quell her fears. If not...Myrida's thoughts were interupted by a large lion-thing being esquorted in by Sucheta.

The Declaration

After witnessing the declaration, Myrida buckled in pain as she began to feel the brunt of Elwyr's transferance of energy. It felt like she was afire from within. Still, as she gritted her teeth, she watched the happenings of the room while not able to actively participate. After a time, perhaps fifteen minutes, she sagged but remained standing, as the pain cut off, and she was left with a strange feeling of...change? Whatever had happened to Elwyr, it was now over, and the room was much more empty as people had followed out in panic. Due to the chaos, she was largely unnoticed. It was perhaps the first time that she would want to have been noticed, being the daughter to the Emperor, and the current Empress of Dawn. It was strange. It was almost as if...what exactly had the energy done? Was she actually invisible?

She motioned a servant over with her hand, and they obeyed. Alright. No, she was not invisible...
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

[Pre-Boom]
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    "I could be tempted to do such a thing," Kalinda replied, her eyes bright and laughing. "But if it was what you needed, why," she widened her eyes demurely, yet for all the shyness she poured into the look it was clearly a tease, "I would be left with little choice but to drag you away to the dance floor."

Spoiler
    Show
    So is this Ensio or Feetrikki Hel Kaivaar, or are both names part of an overarching whole? Salterri names are confusing

Also, anything in particular you looking for from this, or just Raaneki-times?
    Show
    HURRR it was supposed to be Ensio, yes. Ensio Lius Timanpaholainen. >.< I lost track which of the two went where and didn't double-check. Feetrikki was the one to search out Cree, Ensio a Raaneki. Wasn't going anywhere in particular with it, Ensio is just a hedonist and Raaneki are well known for that. Plus he's intrigued by tales of his grandfather Tailong, who got godana tattoos from an artist brought along by the royal family for him at some point.

The names for Gun Huang's children are formatted like [personal name] [short word referencing their non-Salterri heritage] [mother's family name], with ones officially recognized by the Imperial family as a whole having "Li" as their family name at the front.

"Well, I better take you up on the challenge," Ensio replied, "considering the things I've heard of Raaneka, I must surely attempt to out-drink one of your countrymen, and dancing is best served when one's legs are still capable of standing." He extended a hand with a smirk.

[Post-Boom]
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Paco Çimar Guzman arrives

Kellan of Ashenia performed a graceful bow, an uncharacteristic move, before addressing Paco.
    "It matters not who it is who addresses you Your Reverence, but who they claim to be. This creature from the East, Hushyarr, claims to be the incarnation of Mosi Nia Rohana and simultaneously the Blazing Avatar.
    "While the former is for the followers of Radurja to investigate, it is hoped you can resolve the latter to the satisfaction of all of us present."

He turned once more to face Hushyarr, a look of speculation on his face.
    "On that note however... Now that I've managed to properly come to grips with the situation, I do seem to recall that the previous Blazing Avatar died only ten years previously. Are you meaning to say Hushyarr of the She'er that you are less than ten years of age? I for one would fine such a claim unlikely."
    Suddenly conscious he was still holding his sword, Kellan motioned one of his guards over and handed his sword over. The guard bowed and departed with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Paco, you'd know me best as Shvedrishti. I came here to reunite with my people and announce that I have been born as the Blazing Avatar." Hushyarr remained calm as he recounted the events leading up to Paco's arrival, even King Elwyr's sudden immolation.

Hushyarr turned to King Kellan, "I am in fact ten years of age, your grace. Are you aware that the lions of Jarrland are fully grown by the age of three? The She'er have more in common with them than with humans. Look to Shahyar, my brother, he is the same age as I, but I dwarf him. This was among the first reasons that I came to believe I was the Blazing Avatar. Yosi Cedro stood nearly a head and a half taller than anyone present at the First Grand Ball, and we live on a continent of giants."
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "An ape reaches maturity in ten years, a human nearly twice as long and longer again for a dwarf. Just because you bear some similarity to a lion does not mean that your life is constrained by the same rate of growth as theirs, though I will concede the point. Whatever you are, you may very well be ten years of age. As for height, I have met many men of great height, none of them were the Blazing Avatar. It is good that you're not basing your claim solely on that alone.
    "Now, that the issue of the timeline has been resolved for now, let us allow Brother Paco to take the floor."
    "Ah, that sharp politeness... you must be one of Hazael's sons." Paco nodded, eyes closing briefly as he did so. "It is true, Nissa Rodilsignya perished with unfortunate violence little more than a decade past. It is uncommon for a new Blazing Avatar to arise so quickly... uncommon, but not impossible."

He seemed to doze off for a few moments, but his breathing was deep and controlled. "Shvedrishti... it has been so long. Far too long. Where have you been during all this time, if you are both Shvedrishti and the Blazing Avatar? Your voice sounds so different from hers. Explain yourself and..." Paco's voice broke. "Come closer."
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Day 1

Double Entendre

Spoiler: Reggiejam's Eyes Only
    Show
    Senusret laughed appreciatively at Meztli's imaginary flight, and his smile was undiminished by Katava's response.

"Then I pity them. The Unmarked are potent enough to have kept even my feckless nephew alive thus far - I doubt your rivals have ever seen their like."

Day 2

Midnight

Show
    Senusret spread his hands.

"Indeed. While you have my thanks for your plans to recognize Meztli, we attend to the business of state tonight. As you are no doubt aware, Guilder's departure from the Concordat left a hole not easily filled, but it also divested us from what had become a diplomatic lodestone. And while we may all take some amusement from Raaneka's vain attempts to repair Guilder's reputation, their growing involvement in the Empire of Dawn leaves us uneasy. We believe it a prudent time to seek out allies, and with Faedas' newly-minted independence from boorish Hurosha, we see no better candidate than you."

Senusret leaned closer.

"On the behalf of Tzalteclan and all the nations of the Hegemony, I wish to offer you a seat in the Concordat of Frost and Flame. An official one, ideally, but if you feel your parting from Hurosha to be change enough, there are alternatives. You would not be the first to join our compact in secret."
    Spoiler: DarkDM Only
    Show

Double Entendre

Katava leaned in and planted a kiss upon Senusret's cheek, "Then we shall show them," she smiled with a gleeful malice and her hand moved to find Senusret's own and rest upon his thigh as she watched Meztli continue to flit about.

"It is time for bed," she said addressing her daughter after a few moments, "And not just for her," she added in a whisper to Senusret.

Meztli let her arms drop with some fuss but she seemed sleepy despite her protestations. She hugged Senusret and kissed her father's cheek before Katava escorted her to her bedroom and put her to bed. She returned to the salon and hung lazily against the door frame leading to her own room, beckoning the Teotlkan to follow her inside.

OOC: And fade to black ;D No child here since that would diminish special-ness

Midnight

Queen Kyria smiled. Her lips, the only visible portion of her face below her veil, curling up more than they had in the entire preceding days. She had been hoping for this invitation, to the point that she had grown to expect it. And now it was here.

"I shall gladly, and openly accept your gracious invitation. Long have I looked to the East as a source of inspiration since even before my ascendance to the Throne of Thorns. My mother was a pacifistic do-nothing, my father a madman ruling land he had no right to claim from a throne many miles away. From them I learned nothing. I studied instead yourself Nezetkhamun and the Kings of Glazfell and it is to both your nations I feel a special bond."

"I am surrounded south and west by fools and fops in crowns, nothing would please me more than to unite with the rulers of the Hegemon and the Tzaltec Empire and show the wider world I do not sit among the foolish of the north, but instead with the powerful of the east."

She held out her right arm, inside up, and pulled off her glove and rolled back her sleeve revealing a gaunt appendage cool to the touch.

"I recognize the rites of the Tzaltec are steeped in blood, and while I fear you may draw little from myself I will give what is available to seal this agreement in proper form."

OOC: I thought this might be what this was! Yes! Concordat membership! Woohoo! Is there a thread? Is there a secret handshake? Do we wear pink on Wednesdays? *ahem* I shall add the announcement to my actions post.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Ah, that sharp politeness... you must be one of Hazael's sons." Paco nodded, eyes closing briefly as he did so. "It is true, Nissa Rodilsignya perished with unfortunate violence little more than a decade past. It is uncommon for a new Blazing Avatar to arise so quickly... uncommon, but not impossible."

He seemed to doze off for a few moments, but his breathing was deep and controlled. "Shvedrishti... it has been so long. Far too long. Where have you been during all this time, if you are both Shvedrishti and the Blazing Avatar? Your voice sounds so different from hers. Explain yourself and..." Paco's voice broke. "Come closer."
    Hushyarr looked to Marvella for confirmation before stepping forward. It was strange to walk with four legs instead of six, but manageable. "You know of my passing, as Shvedri, yes? After that I was born to a young slave in Tzalteclan. I spent twenty-five years among them, before participating in the ritual that transformed Nezetkhamun. After that I spent a time lost, adrift in anga lingine, before Jonas and I were born again to the She'er."
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    "What more than to live, Ji?" Sucheta smiled as she gave her answer. The Caercian King's words had spoken of memory, and in it he had reached towards the heart of what seemed to be his problem in how he saw Raaneka. He had but stories, and then her appearance at the Coronation and that short dance at the Games. And in those moments, those places, she had been forced to step far beyond herself, to take upon herself the duties of a vassal of the Empire to which her ancestors had bound themselves - and now her - in far more direct a fashion then those ancestors ever had. Yet the duty of a vassal was to be a hand of their liege, and so she had been what her cousin had needed her to be.

"Myrida could give you a far better answer, but I will do my best. It's all we can do, after all." She spun beneath Ji's hand in time to the beat. "None of us wish for conflict, that is something I can promise you; as my letter said, Vizini sealed the MECK project when Guilder left the Concordat of Frost and Flame at the Summit five years ago. Yet," her smile slipped, "in showing the world that we are no longer sleeping, no longer gone, we made enemies, and it is the duty of all rulers to guard their people. So we seek friends, new and old, to build a future where the golden memories of which your grandfather spoke - and older ones, which I remember - might be truth again and not memory."

"Yet you have spoken of Guilder, and of the task that you believed it to be. Perhaps you are right, but what I told you at the gate was very true. Raaneka did not impose upon Guilder the changes that Vizini and his father made, it was simply the Empire's view after your Coronation that such a change was needed. And with that, and the small guidance that my own people and our cousins of Serendel, all that you have watched with amazement was brought to pass. I cannot claim credit, and I won't - it isn't mine to claim - but I can understand why it is on myself and my people that the focus falls. It was my words that promised we would see it done." She shrugged gracefully.

"We were the first sign of new life from the oldest of the Northern Empires. My words at your coronation, I have little doubt, are widely written. And in years to come, when I am long past, the way of history might indeed name me as the one who reforged an Empire that was thought to be crumbling, and without direction. Yet for all that the future might hold those things - and all that it might not - I would tell you again here, if I can, of its truth as I know it."

"The Empire of Dawn is a family, Ji, and we were one long before ties of blood were laid between those who speak for each of us. When a family finds that one of its members has strayed, has stumbled, you do not cast them away - you reach out to them and try to help set them on a path towards recovery. There can be stern words sometimes, and certainly there were here, but few, for they are not what holds a family together. And that is what you missed, when you thought to call Guilder beyond any means to save. What everyone missed, I think."

Spoiler: Durk
    Show
    I don't really mind at all. It's not really something I really see him as religiously equipped to deal with (no offence ). As for this, yeah it maybe got away from me a bit. But Sucheta is trying to be frank, as whilst she understands diplomatic smokescreens, Raaneki culture doesn't really appreciate them. Given her past conversations with Ji, he seems to be of a similar bent. So say hello to a crash course insight into EoD internal relations. It's a magical place.
    "Good words," Ji said as they continued their dance even as the song shifted tone and other dancers departed the floor, "Calls to family and loyalty are well heard by myself and my nation. However the words seems somewhat false, you'll pardon my saying so. For all that Guilder has done to recompense itself for those crimes committed at my Coronation those many years ago much damage was done to relations with others in the process. Not, I don't think, because the Empire of Dawn had awoken, but rather, because it did so in a way that refuted the efforts of those who kept its wayward vassal Guilder from doing more than it had."

"I know well your Empire takes issue with the nations of Glazfell and Tzalteclan but both are well bound to the Imperium itself and her vassals and are seen as caretakers of the Expanse during the erstwhile period in which your Empire lay asleep. I have heard the stories of both sides in the conflict, I would ask you not to debate my use of the term, and I find both with valid position. When Guilder was drawn back into the Empire of Dawn it reneged on its promise to pay out MECK technology. As a nation who suffered at the hands of the poor implementation of this technology I respect that it was not allowed to spread. As a nation that sees itself bound to honor and to pay respect and service to those who helped them I find the lack of honor held towards those who kept Guilder afloat during its years of near independence disturbing. It is a conflicting view Guilder has brought upon itself."

"Vizini encapsulates this, he is of the Dragon's Blood, yet he seems to express disgust alongside yourself and Serendel at the actions of the Tzaltec from whom's actions he received his blessing. There's a clash of interests that is irreconcilable. One Guilder finds itself centered in. Yet it is not the only one between whom the divide is being driven. As I said, long has the Imperium had pleasant relations with the East and long has my nation in particular had good history with Raaneka. Yet a wedge is being driven, a wedge which for all intents and purposes appears driven by yourself and your newly minted liege."

"You must be aware of this. Your words just now speak to your understanding that history, the world around you, views you as the driving force behind this newly rising Empire of Dawn. You have chosen to cast the heavy weight of Raaneka's goblet, who over decades drew to it many friends, behind an Empire poised for war, but in your haste much of the good wine did spill from the cup. You'll pardon the metaphor, I have never been one for their usage. Haste can be as great a nation builder as a destroyer. Can you say your family is truly ready to face the full brunt of its actions? War is coming Sucheta, are you certain you wish to be the force that pushes it upon your people sooner than you are ready? That is what these actions to quarrel with the Concordat will bring, sooner rather than later, war will come. Do you think it is a worthy conflict?"

Spoiler: Snow
    Show

None taken. Markus, his father, is the religious aspect of his court. Which reminds me I need to get him out some more... Ji definitely doesn't fool around too much with being tricky. He's as frank as is allowable when discussing such high level politics.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Senusret nodded to the Caercian king.

"I am sure he will appreciate your thanks, King Ji. You have mine, as well, for standing with him against this...tragedy."
    "You and your father both have my thanks too, lord Teotlkan," Eldred said, with a solemn nod. "Once again. I fear we may have to postpone our drink together, however."

Paco was less impressive in the flesh than he had imagined, but then, he supposed, he was considerably older than the last time a member of his family had seen him. Elwyr himself had been a boy at the time, after all.

He looked around the group awaiting Paco's verdict, and realised this was the new world order. It had been for some time, perhaps, and had just never been noticed. There were few enough who remembered the old days: Elwyr had been perhaps the last in the kingdom to do so. History and memory were of great importance, of course: he remembered Elwyr's own comments on the subject from before his father's death: if you did not know where you had come from, how could you determine where to go next?

But it could also blinker one to the truth. If one buries oneself in the past the present becomes obscured, and the future invisible. The old become set in their ways, fixed in their opinions... they missed the changing of the world, or fled from it. Even Nezetkhamun - although there, he had to allow, the Tzalteca had never doubted their place in the world, and were closer to being right about it than at any point in the past.

He himself was immensely proud of his family history, an unbroken line of kings to before the dawn of recorded history - but he could also see clearly, and what he saw would have driven his grandfather to tears.

As times change, though, so do the people who live in them, and he was not his grandfather.

Spoiler: Family Drama
    Show
    Wygg heard the commotion in the ballroom and followed it outside, emerging into the open air and looking for his family. It took him a while to recognise them.

"What happened?" he asked as he approached, eyes wide in shock and alarm. His father turned at his approach, looking him up and down.

"Where were you?" Athelwyr asked, in a flat voice.

"I was - " Wygg hesitated. At the time, it had seemed important, but he could tell that anything relating to ball revelry had now paled into insignificance. "Just an errand for Sucheta. I'm here now."

"You're too late," Athelwyr said. "It's all over bar the shouting. The king is dead, and you weren't there."

"Sucheta needed me-"

"THE KING NEEDED YOU! He needed us all! Perhaps if even one more of us had been present he would still live. But Sucheta needed you, you say, and so you weren't there."

Alfmyr interposed himself between them. "Peace, cousin," he muttered to Athelwyr. "Do not blame the boy - we were not so different once."

"Boy is it?" Wygg snapped. "I am man enough. You wish to fight me, father? Very well then. Malyn, give me a sword." He looked over at his brother.

"Look at you," his father said. "You've been in Raaneka so long you've forgotten how to dress yourself." He waved Malyn back. "I have no wish to fight you, Wygg. You are still my son, but you will never be more than that now. You could have been king. You should have been. The Raaneki are our friends, and I tolerated your dalliance with Sucheta because of it. But friends are not family, and you are forever marked as having forgotten that. You may reign as king consort in Raaneka, but you will never rule in Horbeach."
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-12-12 at 11:01 PM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    "How many lands can I visit? In Grove City, all of them. It's the capital of the Imperium. More lands touch on that city than I could visit in a dozen lifetimes. If I want some variety, all I have to do is run down to the markets in one of my off-times and find someone offering Burrtan carvings or Velpschnoodle cuisine, or swing by the pitches and see Twinoak and Torshammer facing off in a moopsball match."
    "I see your point, true... but how many of those lands do you get to see down here?" He points to the sandstone walls around them. To others, they would have seen the colorful decorations, dozens of international flags and pictures, or the food hung everywhere. But he apparently didn't see any of that.

"He's telling the truth," announced Molly. "The One told me, just now." She rubbed her head, and crusted black flesh sloughed off, revealing the usual snow-white tissue below.

Clovis sighed and sheathed his sword. "So what happened to Elwyr? Your uncle's doing? And what's the spider-lion-thingy?"
    Vizini sighed. "If I were qualified to answer that question with more than an overview, I'd be 100 years old... or more." He glanced back towards the now peaceful scene. "Still, things could have gone much, much, worse. There is order now, and peace. Perhaps not agreement, but that can be found later."

The Doge glanced around the room, and signaled to the guards that it was safe for the dancers to return, if any would. Given the situation, and the fact that several delegations had already left, that wasn't likely. Still, it was the Grand Ball, and it had to end on a good note, instead of this one.

He walked to Hushyarr and the others still engaged in the discussion. "There are some rather gorgeous rooms built for just such a time as this. Follow me, please." Vizini takes those interested in the discussion to one of the massive conference rooms. The floors are covered in warm, thick, soft furs, and a fire crackles in a corner, providing a homely, earthy light on the wood beams and natural style. The large table is circular, and each of its chairs large and impressive enough to fit a king, though oddly, they do not have arms. This is all the better, however, as it allows unusually shaped sentients to sit just the same, though Hushyarr may need a second seat for his size.

"I believe that this room provides more than enough space for the discussion. I myself will be in attendance, but as with all other non-judicial parties, will stay silent." He bows and takes a seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggiejam View Post
    "You can if you'd like," the Heartwastian said with a thin smile, "You don't like your position do you?" He asked returning his attention to the box, "You think you deserve more, am I right?"
    Vasili nods heartily. "I haven't heard a sentient speak anything with more truth all day. There's a whole lot more than I have, that I deserve... but do I get it? Not a chance!

"Thing is, I can't even work for it. If I try harder and harder, do better work for more hours, the masters pat me on the head, give me a few extra days of work off, more money... Maybe they're just too Guilderene to realize that people don't just want money. You know what I mean?" He grabs the box, slamming it down half-heartedly, as if it would click again.

*shhhhhnick*

He paused, staring. It had made another noise... Hm...?

Day 2

Cousins

To her credit, Senseneb restrained herself to a grateful smile at Wesley's comment, before darting forward to place a kiss on his cheek.

"Thank you cousin. Perhaps you'd like to meet in the garden later."

She smiled again, but before Wesley could respond pandemonium broke out in the ballroom, and she had seized his hand to flee.
    Wesley laughed again at her antics. They'd been waiting out there for nearly an hour while the grown-ups did their boring things inside, but it didn't matter. It had been nothing short of a delight. Senseneb was so.. unique! She knew exactly who she was, what she wanted, and wasn't afraid to say it, either.

Plus, when she talked... it made sense. Such a contrast to him. Wesley groaned, thinking about all the tutors his father had given to him to "help him speak like a ruler." None of it had helped, and he hadn't really wanted to try. Until tonight, that was. "Senseneb... how are you so confident?" He asked. "How do you do it?"
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Day 2

Cousins
    Wesley laughed again at her antics. They'd been waiting out there for nearly an hour while the grown-ups did their boring things inside, but it didn't matter. It had been nothing short of a delight. Senseneb was so.. unique! She knew exactly who she was, what she wanted, and wasn't afraid to say it, either.

Plus, when she talked... it made sense. Such a contrast to him. Wesley groaned, thinking about all the tutors his father had given to him to "help him speak like a ruler." None of it had helped, and he hadn't really wanted to try. Until tonight, that was. "Senseneb... how are you so confident?" He asked. "How do you do it?"
    Senseneb's laughter stopped abruptly at Wesley's question, and a peculiar look came over her face.

"How? I am Tzaltec."

Though the peculiar expression remained on her face, she added nothing more. Instead she waited for his response - her explanation, it seemed, was more than sufficient to her.

Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    "You and your father both have my thanks too, lord Teotlkan," Eldred said, with a solemn nod. "Once again. I fear we may have to postpone our drink together, however."
    Senusret placed his hand on Eldred's shoulder, and squeezed it firmly. Once again the Carmine king was reminded that, whatever their failings, the Tzalteca placed the utmost importance on family.

"And I accept your thanks gladly, my friend."

He turned to regard the broken man and the creature that stood on the flagstones.

"Let us see what the old man has to say."

Noticing the approach of the Carmine princes clothed as Raanekans, Senusret politely turned his attention away. As yet another young man bewitched by Raaneka threatened his father with violence, the Teotlkan spared a sympathetic glance towards Athelwyr, but said nothing.

Midnight
    Show

Midnight

Queen Kyria smiled. Her lips, the only visible portion of her face below her veil, curling up more than they had in the entire preceding days. She had been hoping for this invitation, to the point that she had grown to expect it. And now it was here.

"I shall gladly, and openly accept your gracious invitation. Long have I looked to the East as a source of inspiration since even before my ascendance to the Throne of Thorns. My mother was a pacifistic do-nothing, my father a madman ruling land he had no right to claim from a throne many miles away. From them I learned nothing. I studied instead yourself Nezetkhamun and the Kings of Glazfell and it is to both your nations I feel a special bond."

"I am surrounded south and west by fools and fops in crowns, nothing would please me more than to unite with the rulers of the Hegemon and the Tzaltec Empire and show the wider world I do not sit among the foolish of the north, but instead with the powerful of the east."

She held out her right arm, inside up, and pulled off her glove and rolled back her sleeve revealing a gaunt appendage cool to the touch.

"I recognize the rites of the Tzaltec are steeped in blood, and while I fear you may draw little from myself I will give what is available to seal this agreement in proper form."

OOC: I thought this might be what this was! Yes! Concordat membership! Woohoo! Is there a thread? Is there a secret handshake? Do we wear pink on Wednesdays? *ahem* I shall add the announcement to my actions post.
    Show
    Senusret smiled at the queen's response, while Nezetkhamun brought a hand to his chest and gave a slight bow.

"You are too kind, good queen."

From beneath the desk Senusret drew forth a parchment bearing the seal of the Concordat, as well as the signatures of all its members. Upon it the queen was surprised to see the mark of Tyrant Oluska Geriin, though its presence certainly explained the ease with which the Tzaltec passed among the Cree. The document was followed by a golden bowl and pen, as well as a long golden needle bearing the crest of Kyria's dynasty on its end.

I speak from experience when I say, thankfully, it does not take much to sign a single document.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

[Post-Boom]
    Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Hushyarr looked to Marvella for confirmation before stepping forward. It was strange to walk with four legs instead of six, but manageable. "You know of my passing, as Shvedri, yes? After that I was born to a young slave in Tzalteclan. I spent twenty-five years among them, before participating in the ritual that transformed Nezetkhamun. After that I spent a time lost, adrift in anga lingine, before Jonas and I were born again to the She'er."
    "The Tzaltec ritual?" Paco drew a wheezing breath. He looked shocked and did not speak immediately, not until he'd calmed and his expression turned to a sad but serene smile. "I have no doubt you are indeed Shvedrishti. Only she could be so foolishly passionate to meddle with the affairs of faraway gods. Come closer." He bid her, his arms open.

When Hushyarr did so, Paco gave him a slap across his leonine face. Not a hard one--the man was well over a hundred, after all--but one that nevertheless evoked a clearly audible sound. "Now grow up, my son. You may be but ten years old with the legacy of two women with twice the brawn and thrice the heart than what they should've had for brains, but with your unique position you have a great duty to live up to. Always remember," he leaned in, "Fire Above, Fire Below," he prodded Hushyarr's chest with a bony finger. "Fire Within."

The finger lingered as Paco's near-blind eyes looked up at Hushyarr. "I have met three Blazing Avatars over my lifetime. One as servant and friend, one as mentor and..." He stopped abruptly. "I couldn't explain to you how or why, but I can see you are him. The warmth of the Lord is in you, as is his destructive ability. You must learn to control it."

The old First Brother of the Blazing Temple sank back in his chair. "I have tired. I must rest, but we will speak later. Tasun, bring me back to my quarters." The monk behind him nodded and wheeled the chair away. Paco locked eyes with Hushyarr, nay, Shvedrishti, one final time, before he cast them down and looked to be dozing off in his chair again as they disappeared through the door they had come through.

[Day 1 -- with Vizini]
    As the diplomatic meeting with the Imperial delegation ended and Gun Huang and Shandian left the room, a servant bid Vizini to stay, gesturing towards the woman in black. "My Lady would like to speak with you."

The other servants closed the curtains, so that only thin streams of light entered the room. The woman in black stepped closer. "It's been a long time, Vizini. You've grown old." She said it almost appreciatively, as if there was a sense of cruel amusement to derive from his old age. Her voice sounded young, but the veil covered her face still.

[Day 2, Late Evening -- with Kyria Varinel]
    As the Ball was coming to an end, the woman in black of the Imperial delegation approached the Queen of Thorns. She held herself calmly and stately, but to the queen's eye she might have come across as anxious. "Lady Kyria, if I may, I would request of you an audience. Might it be possible to speak in private?"
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-12-13 at 03:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162

Vasili nods heartily. "I haven't heard a sentient speak anything with more truth all day. There's a whole lot more than I have, that I deserve... but do I get it? Not a chance!

"Thing is, I can't even work for it. If I try harder and harder, do better work for more hours, the masters pat me on the head, give me a few extra days of work off, more money... Maybe they're just too Guilderene to realize that people don't just want money. You know what I mean?" He grabs the box, slamming it down half-heartedly, as if it would click again.

*shhhhhnick*

He paused, staring. It had made another noise... Hm...?
    "You know, there's options for people like you. If they have value," the Heartwastian said before the Guilderene grabbed the box and slammed it upon the sidetable.

"And I might say your luck would count as valuable," the servant said, picking up the box and sliding two more sides off.

The box seemed unlocked now and the rest of the sides came sliding off. The Heartwastian opened the simple box inside and revealed the contents. Sitting inside was an intricately forged bronze pair of earrings each set with an emerald.

The Heartwaste servant looked up at the Guilderene, "A split of the rewards?" he said holding up one of the earrings, "And perhaps an acceptance of an invitation? The Queen has told me to keep an eye out for those of value."

Spoiler: OOC Sam
    Show

I know you said you didn't want to have an evil character for the Brood but, well, if the shoe fits... If you want to send Vasili off the Queen would pay for his expenses to take him into her service. Next round or the round after she'll be creating her Brood, not everyone will live, some will die some will become enthralled but it's a chance at power. There's also the option of becoming a Watcher which means he could be a human who dealt with the problems the Vampire Brood wouldn't be capable of if he wanted less risk but still greater power than he has here.

Midnight

Show
    Senusret smiled at the queen's response, while Nezetkhamun brought a hand to his chest and gave a slight bow.

"You are too kind, good queen."

From beneath the desk Senusret drew forth a parchment bearing the seal of the Concordat, as well as the signatures of all its members. Upon it the queen was surprised to see the mark of Tyrant Oluska Geriin, though its presence certainly explained the ease with which the Tzaltec passed among the Cree. The document was followed by a golden bowl and pen, as well as a long golden needle bearing the crest of Kyria's dynasty on its end.

I speak from experience when I say, thankfully, it does not take much to sign a single document.
    Show

Kyria drew the long needle gingerly and slipped it into her arm, driving it deep nearly five inches into her pale skin. No blood welled at the wound for a moment but as she withdrew the needle it surged with deep crimson blood and a few drops fell into the bowl. She picked up the pen and dipped it into the pool then placed it to the document with reverence and penned her name.

Queen Kyria Varinel

The Queen drew the pen to her lips and licked clean the last vestiges of the blood before returning it to the bowl.

"May this day be marked well in the annals of history."

[Day 2, Late Evening -- with Kyria Varinel]
    As the Ball was coming to an end, the woman in black of the Imperial delegation approached the Queen of Thorns. She held herself calmly and stately, but to the queen's eye she might have come across as anxious. "Lady Kyria, if I may, I would request of you an audience. Might it be possible to speak in private?"
    At the woman's approach the Queen dismissed her Trusted who surged to surround her naturally. She appraised the woman standing before her with a careful gaze behind her veil. This was one of the Pavonian creatures' handiwork. The Imperial one she imagined.

"Of course, it would be my pleasure to speak with one such as yourself. Please, come with me," the Queen motioned for her to follow as she continued on towards her embassy suite she had already been making her way towards.

"You are one blessed by the Mother's Gift but without knowledge or understanding, no?" the Queen asked in a conversational tone, "I suspect you have come to me for guidance. You are without a Mother to guide you. A most offensive state to be in for one such as yourself."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

At the woman's approach the Queen dismissed her Trusted who surged to surround her naturally. She appraised the woman standing before her with a careful gaze behind her veil. This was one of the Pavonian creatures' handiwork. The Imperial one she imagined.

"Of course, it would be my pleasure to speak with one such as yourself. Please, come with me," the Queen motioned for her to follow as she continued on towards her embassy suite she had already been making her way towards.

"You are one blessed by the Mother's Gift but without knowledge or understanding, no?" the Queen asked in a conversational tone, "I suspect you have come to me for guidance. You are without a Mother to guide you. A most offensive state to be in for one such as yourself."
    She followed after the Queen to her embassy suite. They made an odd pair, with the two of them both having their faces shrouded by a veil, simultaneously hiding a very similar cause underneath, yet of wildly different origin and effect.

Spoiler: Within the Embassy, for Reggiejam only
    Show
    Huanle bowed her head to the queen when they were amongst themselves, then raised her veil. "I was... blessed, yes, one could say that. Unexpectedly so, by Lucrezia of House Wulfendyne, who knew I was to be betrothed to her nephew. Lucrezia has guided me, but a mother I could never call her." She frowned slightly, as if confused. "I'm sorry, you must mean mother in a different sense. You speak of Kina, yes?"

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

[Day 1 -- with Vizini]
    As the diplomatic meeting with the Imperial delegation ended and Gun Huang and Shandian left the room, a servant bid Vizini to stay, gesturing towards the woman in black. "My Lady would like to speak with you."

The other servants closed the curtains, so that only thin streams of light entered the room. The woman in black stepped closer. "It's been a long time, Vizini. You've grown old." She said it almost appreciatively, as if there was a sense of cruel amusement to derive from his old age. Her voice sounded young, but the veil covered her face still.
    Vizini shrugs. "The reports of my age are vastly exaggerated... I could still swash some buckles, even at this age, were that ever in my character." He bows and winks provocatively, though it's unclear whether it's intended as flirting or a simple reminder of how they had first laid eyes on each other.

"Still, I am much older of soul than I ever thought possible. The things I dream about, the nightmares I struggle, are far worse than those which I imagined in the coronation grounds. The worst fate I imagined there I have already experienced and more... so I believe that I stand ready to face anything." He outstretched his two arms, holding them up.

"Why have you convened this meeting?"

Day 2

Cousins

Senseneb's laughter stopped abruptly at Wesley's question, and a peculiar look came over her face.

"How? I am Tzaltec."

Though the peculiar expression remained on her face, she added nothing more. Instead she waited for his response - her explanation, it seemed, was more than sufficient to her.
    Wesley rolled his eyes. "I didn't know that before. Actually that's sarcasm, I really did know. You just don't make sense to me. I mean, sure, you're Tzaltec, but if being Tzaltec had anything to do with it, you'd think I was good at talking, too." He pointed to his eyes, which displayed no dilution from classic southern Goldfire-tint.

"Thing-thing is that there's gotta be somethin' else. Cause not every Tzaltec is confident. There are people of all types in every place, so that's not right. Not right. Something else." Wesley scrunched up his mouth, clearly perceiving this as a mental challenge.

"You know, there's options for people like you. If they have value," the Heartwastian said before the Guilderene grabbed the box and slammed it upon the sidetable.

"And I might say your luck would count as valuable," the servant said, picking up the box and sliding two more sides off.

The box seemed unlocked now and the rest of the sides came sliding off. The Heartwastian opened the simple box inside and revealed the contents. Sitting inside was an intricately forged bronze pair of earrings each set with an emerald.

The Heartwaste servant looked up at the Guilderene, "A split of the rewards?" he said holding up one of the earrings, "And perhaps an acceptance of an invitation? The Queen has told me to keep an eye out for those of value."

Spoiler: OOC Sam
    Show

I know you said you didn't want to have an evil character for the Brood but, well, if the shoe fits... If you want to send Vasili off the Queen would pay for his expenses to take him into her service. Next round or the round after she'll be creating her Brood, not everyone will live, some will die some will become enthralled but it's a chance at power. There's also the option of becoming a Watcher which means he could be a human who dealt with the problems the Vampire Brood wouldn't be capable of if he wanted less risk but still greater power than he has here.
    Show

Welp, he didn't start that way, but the more he wrote, the more he fell towards that... so yeah, I guess he'll be taking up that offer.

Vasili grinned greedily, examining the earring with two wide eyes. "Y'know, I'm thinkin' maybe you're right about this luck thing. 'Course, it could also be that I know some boxmakers in my mum's family from up north, but I'd rather think it's the former." Another smirk to himself, and he pocketed the bauble.

"I'd certainly think... I guess I'm free to go here anyway, so I can just cut and run. What is this invitation you're talking about?" He leans in close, quiet. "I could be out of here tonight, if need be."
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Vizini shrugs. "The reports of my age are vastly exaggerated... I could still swash some buckles, even at this age, were that ever in my character." He bows and winks provocatively, though it's unclear whether it's intended as flirting or a simple reminder of how they had first laid eyes on each other.

"Still, I am much older of soul than I ever thought possible. The things I dream about, the nightmares I struggle, are far worse than those which I imagined in the coronation grounds. The worst fate I imagined there I have already experienced and more... so I believe that I stand ready to face anything." He outstretched his two arms, holding them up.

"Why have you convened this meeting?"
    The woman raised her dark veil and pulled it back to reveal her face. Li Huanle Jarrow looked as if she had never aged past 18, her tan skin being lighter than it had been all those years ago, but still as flawless and youthful as it had been at her sister's coronation. Her expression was cold as she looked at Vizini. "The nightmares you struggle compare not to the ones that are real, Vizini. For all that you are, a theatrical man, a vicious merchant or a ruler of questionable aptitude, I had always thought you and your kin to be men of your word."

Her tight gloves strained at the knuckles as she clenched her fists. She looked away from the aged Doge. "I have convened this meeting because I had opportunity: you wished to meet with my brother regardless. I had come along with the delegation, hoping to see you." She looked over him and the white scales that haphazardly seemed to adorn his face and hands. "More than just time has changed you."

16. - Top - End - #166

She followed after the Queen to her embassy suite. They made an odd pair, with the two of them both having their faces shrouded by a veil, simultaneously hiding a very similar cause underneath, yet of wildly different origin and effect.

Spoiler: Within the Embassy, for Reggiejam only
    Show
    Huanle bowed her head to the queen when they were amongst themselves, then raised her veil. "I was... blessed, yes, one could say that. Unexpectedly so, by Lucrezia of House Wulfendyne, who knew I was to be betrothed to her nephew. Lucrezia has guided me, but a mother I could never call her." She frowned slightly, as if confused. "I'm sorry, you must mean mother in a different sense. You speak of Kina, yes?"
    Spoiler: Morph Only
    Show

"No child, I speak of both Mothers," she gestured for the Imperial to take a seat, "I have mused on the position of motherhood for many years now. When I was young I could think of no reason to produce offspring beyond having an heir to name beyond my sister. After witnessing the love of my own mother, the Queen Valineth, for myself and my sister and the passion of the Mother of us all for this world my opinion changed. I felt the call of motherhood stir within me," as she spoke the Heartwaste Queen paced the floor.

"But my condition sterilized me. I thought to curse the Mother's name. She had betrayed me with Her Blessing. I was not the theologian my sister is, I did not know the Mother seeks to test us not destroy us. I read much of the Pavonian condition, surely some perversion of the Mother's Blessing, and I read of the creation of southern broods. I realized then my call as a Queen and my call to be a mother were being granted by the Call of the Mother Herself and the Blessing I had received."

"Of course, your situation was one that concerned me greatly. Could any mother claim herself to be an example or guide to her children if they did not wish to be guided? No, the matrons of the south are greedy and unthinking, they hear the call to spread the Blessing but do not heed the sense of restraint that should posses them. I however do, and it is for this reason I've taken years before beginning to enact the creation of my own Brood."

She came over and sat down across from the Salterri Princess, "I cannot take away what the Lady Lucrezia has done to you, but I can offer you a chance to have a Mother to guide you through this Blessing," she reached out and took Huanle's hands, "I can take you as a daughter-sister, guide you through the responsibilities of our Blessing and perhaps allow you to come to some sense of comfort in this condition you did not ask for but had thrust upon you."

Show

Welp, he didn't start that way, but the more he wrote, the more he fell towards that... so yeah, I guess he'll be taking up that offer.

Vasili grinned greedily, examining the earring with two wide eyes. "Y'know, I'm thinkin' maybe you're right about this luck thing. 'Course, it could also be that I know some boxmakers in my mum's family from up north, but I'd rather think it's the former." Another smirk to himself, and he pocketed the bauble.

"I'd certainly think... I guess I'm free to go here anyway, so I can just cut and run. What is this invitation you're talking about?" He leans in close, quiet. "I could be out of here tonight, if need be."
    Show

Sweet! There should be a private thread here in Round 31 sooner or later I'll PM you an invitation to.

The Heartwastian pulled at his collar to reveal scars on his neck and jaw, "I was rejected partway through," he snapped his fingers and one of the other Heartwastians shambled over and he pulled them down and pulled back their collar which the other servant made no motion to resist. Beneath the cloth was two scars marking puncture wounds.

"This one did not reject, but they were not Blessed. Too much drained according to the Queen. But My Lady has a way. A way to make more like her. Blessed by the Mother with the power of the Night. It is not without risk and the Queen has experimented without success for years, but she says now she has the way. As long as the volunteer is willing and strong enough, they may take to the Blessing and be granted eternal power."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Day 2

Cousins
    Wesley rolled his eyes. "I didn't know that before. Actually that's sarcasm, I really did know. You just don't make sense to me. I mean, sure, you're Tzaltec, but if being Tzaltec had anything to do with it, you'd think I was good at talking, too." He pointed to his eyes, which displayed no dilution from classic southern Goldfire-tint.

"Thing-thing is that there's gotta be somethin' else. Cause not every Tzaltec is confident. There are people of all types in every place, so that's not right. Not right. Something else." Wesley scrunched up his mouth, clearly perceiving this as a mental challenge.
    Senseneb sighed and placed her hand on Wesley's shoulder.

"Oh, dear Wesley. You may be blessed with the blood of the Dragon, but you were not raised Tzaltec."

She sat alongside him, pulling him close.

"If you had been, you would not worry so about the opinions of others. We know we are Tzetultep's chosen people, and even the meekest of us has that foundation to fall back on."

She gestured to the nobles and courtiers still milling around after the attack.

"Look at these people. Maybe one in ten has a purpose that compares to the pillar of faith that strengthens our people. And those that do have it did not earn it by compromise or cronyism. I have heard grandfather from time to time, mourning the upbringing your father inflicted on you. That you turned out so well tells me you have potential left. You just won't find it in a drunken Raanekan haze."
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2014-12-16 at 05:24 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Show

"No child, I speak of both Mothers," she gestured for the Imperial to take a seat, "I have mused on the position of motherhood for many years now. When I was young I could think of no reason to produce offspring beyond having an heir to name beyond my sister. After witnessing the love of my own mother, the Queen Valineth, for myself and my sister and the passion of the Mother of us all for this world my opinion changed. I felt the call of motherhood stir within me," as she spoke the Heartwaste Queen paced the floor.

"But my condition sterilized me. I thought to curse the Mother's name. She had betrayed me with Her Blessing. I was not the theologian my sister is, I did not know the Mother seeks to test us not destroy us. I read much of the Pavonian condition, surely some perversion of the Mother's Blessing, and I read of the creation of southern broods. I realized then my call as a Queen and my call to be a mother were being granted by the Call of the Mother Herself and the Blessing I had received."

"Of course, your situation was one that concerned me greatly. Could any mother claim herself to be an example or guide to her children if they did not wish to be guided? No, the matrons of the south are greedy and unthinking, they hear the call to spread the Blessing but do not heed the sense of restraint that should posses them. I however do, and it is for this reason I've taken years before beginning to enact the creation of my own Brood."

She came over and sat down across from the Salterri Princess, "I cannot take away what the Lady Lucrezia has done to you, but I can offer you a chance to have a Mother to guide you through this Blessing," she reached out and took Huanle's hands, "I can take you as a daughter-sister, guide you through the responsibilities of our Blessing and perhaps allow you to come to some sense of comfort in this condition you did not ask for but had thrust upon you."
    Spoiler: Reggiejam Only
    Show
    When Kyria spoke of her condition sterilizing her, Huanle nodded fiercely. "Exactly that. I was betrayed in my trust of the Wulfendynes, and the actions of one of their own caused me to become something that for years I thought made me less of a woman, as I was cast aside by a man who loved me before." She took a deep, nasal breath. "It was only recently that I discovered that he was wed shortly thereafter to a common maid who made his bed. The mistress of my brood, Lucrezia, I hold no love for. Respect, yes, but only so far as her power goes and her skill at diplomacy."

She listened with care to Kyria's words, absorbing them like a sponge would water. She drew a sharp breath when the Queen sat down before her and took her hands. They felt strange. Not an unpleasant strangeness, but cold, in a sense; a cold that even Huanle's unliving senses felt. "That is quite an offer, my Queen," she uttered. "Yet I hardly know why I feel hesitant... You are wise to not have created a brood in haste. I've held back from the attempt at it. It would be poor substitute for a true child, but..." Huanle looked up, facing Kyria so closely. She swallowed a lump in her throat. "Would I be able to create my own brood, if you accept me?"

Show
    I figure Huanle would be capable of creating a brood of her own, since she was a Pavonian vampire first and all. Dunno if you mean for the Brood Vampires to be capable of doing that due to the Blessing, though.

Also, you mentioned earlier you were looking for a plot to have a reason to turn a werekin into a Brood Vampire. Huanle could serve for that, since even after all these years she still desperately wants nothing more than to gain her "happily ever after", and may well fall in love during her stay in Faedas, without feeling the need to hold back from it as she has all these years. Plus it'd be a bit deliciously ironic (in a way that might be painful for her if someone would pressingly remind her of it) in that the Pavonian prince she was in love with before was a Pavonian werewolf. Way down the line, that could serve as a set-up to explore the boundaries between the different types of werewolves, but we'll focus on the vampires for a good while yet.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-12-16 at 01:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

Spoiler: Reggiejam Only
    Show
    When Kyria spoke of her condition sterilizing her, Huanle nodded fiercely. "Exactly that. I was betrayed in my trust of the Wulfendynes, and the actions of one of their own caused me to become something that for years I thought made me less of a woman, as I was cast aside by a man who loved me before." She took a deep, nasal breath. "It was only recently that I discovered that he was wed shortly thereafter to a common maid who made his bed. The mistress of my brood, Lucrezia, I hold no love for. Respect, yes, but only so far as her power goes and her skill at diplomacy."

She listened with care to Kyria's words, absorbing them like a sponge would water. She drew a sharp breath when the Queen sat down before her and took her hands. They felt strange. Not an unpleasant strangeness, but cold, in a sense; a cold that even Huanle's unliving senses felt. "That is quite an offer, my Queen," she uttered. "Yet I hardly know why I feel hesitant... You are wise to not have created a brood in haste. I've held back from the attempt at it. It would be poor substitute for a true child, but..." Huanle looked up, facing Kyria so closely. She swallowed a lump in her throat. "Would I be able to create my own brood, if you accept me?"

Show
    I figure Huanle would be capable of creating a brood of her own, since she was a Pavonian vampire first and all. Dunno if you mean for the Brood Vampires to be capable of doing that due to the Blessing, though.

Also, you mentioned earlier you were looking for a plot to have a reason to turn a werekin into a Brood Vampire. Huanle could serve for that, since even after all these years she still desperately wants nothing more than to gain her "happily ever after", and may well fall in love during her stay in Faedas, without feeling the need to hold back from it as she has all these years. Plus it'd be a bit deliciously ironic (in a way that might be painful for her if someone would pressingly remind her of it) in that the Pavonian prince she was in love with before was a Pavonian werewolf. Way down the line, that could serve as a set-up to explore the boundaries between the different types of werewolves, but we'll focus on the vampires for a good while yet.
    Show

"I believe you would dear, but you would need to do so carefully. You would need to follow my steps and my guidance. Once I know that I can create my own Brood I can begin to train you to create your own. Your Brood Matron was irresponsible, I do not believe my own Brood shall be capable of producing their own, they shall hand themselves fully over to me and end their old lives forever. It is why I insist they must choose and accept my Blessing. But you dear, you possess the southern Blessing to create Brood and for their own to create and so forth, but you shall learn of northern responsibility and have the guidance of the Mother that is lost to the south."

"I had expected I would only be able to write of my studies that my sister might learn when I taker her place at the Grove of the knowledge to create a Brood, but you Huanle, you might be my first student and perhaps my sister's teacher in time. If you desire to come north of course."

Show

That all sounds good to me!