New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: character build

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default character build

trying to make a character no homebrew of lvl 10 spellcaster non wizard. sorcerer or something of the sort please help

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: character build

um ability scores? allowed books? Party makeup? any particular houserules?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: character build

Arcane or Divine spellcaster? Give more information about what you are looking for.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well based on the information you gave us, my advice would be MAKE A SORCEROR!
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

The story of a barbarian while resting after being fatigued by his rage

I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by StrifeTheBloody View Post
    trying to make a character no homebrew of lvl 10 spellcaster non wizard. sorcerer or something of the sort please help
    You should be a Jedi.
    #MundaneLivesMatter

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windrammer View Post
    You should be a Jedi.
    How would one be a Jedi in 3.5? PsyWar?
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGuy

I don't think it's 3.5 I believe it's AD&D 1st edition.
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

What do you want to do with this character?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    I think you're missing the joke. The OP didn't even specify a system, thus Jedi is a valid response as there IS a star wars RPG. It may even be D20 based and thus belong on this board! Someone else can confirm the last point.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel7284 View Post
    I think you're missing the joke. The OP didn't even specify a system, thus Jedi is a valid response as there IS a star wars RPG. It may even be D20 based and thus belong on this board! Someone else can confirm the last point.
    I can confirm it quite thoroughly. Though it has its detractors, I find d20 Star Wars to be a big heapin' pile of fun (and really like the way the Force was handled, as well as the VP/WP and armor-as-DR system they used).
    If you strip out all the Force stuff, it works better for sci-fi/action heroes than d20 Modern in a lot of ways, too.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fast Hero 7/Gunslinger 6/Lasher 1/Paranormal Psychologist 3/Warblade 3

Be sure to take Iron Heart Surge for a maneuver, use it against insanity causing effects. Take flyby attack and mounted combat. Make sure to put skill ranks in pilot, attack using a gun and when you run out of ammo use a whip, do this from the aircraft you are piloting.

On a more serious note. Since I dont know what system you're using (I assume 3.x or PF). I can only suggest base OGL classes. The divine casters (Druids and Clerics) are always good options, and stand against wizards on equal ground. The Sorcerer class has the issue of reduced spell progression, but is still a valid and powerful choice. Partial casters (Paladins, Rangers, and Bards) are in my opinion not good choices for someone who wants to throw spells at everything, but they do benefit they'reir martial side quite nicely.
    Last edited by Judge_Worm; 2014-12-11 at 09:29 PM.
    Teal'c the Illithid avatar by me

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    The Jedi class from the ASDFHB
    #MundaneLivesMatter

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Worm View Post
    Fast Hero 7/Gunslinger 6/Lasher 1/Paranormal Psychologist 3/Warblade 3

Be sure to take Iron Heart Surge for a maneuver, use it against insanity causing effects. Take flyby attack and mounted combat. Make sure to put skill ranks in pilot, attack using a gun and when you run out of ammo use a whip, do this from the aircraft you are piloting.
    Stop trolling the OP! He asked for help for a spellcasting non wizard build!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windrammer View Post
    You should be a Jedi.
    Evidentially he is no such thing or we would know that those are not the classes he is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by skypse View Post
    I don't think it's 3.5 I believe it's AD&D 1st edition.
    Well that would rule out Sorcerer. Why do you think this out of interest ?
    Last edited by nedz; 2014-12-10 at 07:48 PM.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Ok well how about a couple stubs? Rogue 1/Sorcerer 4/ Unseen Seer 2/ Spellwarp Sniper 3 lets you get a good amount of sneak attack going finish unseen seer first then finish spellwarp sniper. If you want something a bit more fighty Crusader 1/ Wujen 4/ JPM 10 /Abjurant Champion 5 is a blast to play, due to the killer combination of Body Outside Body and White Raven Tatics or Body Outside Body and Emerald Immolation go Crusader1/ Wujen 4/ JPM 5.

Sorcerer 20 is also perfectly valid and may even be better depending on what your needs are.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

ok version of d&d is 3.5 the type of build is range bace with some close. why i said no wizard is i dont want to have to choose the spells i want to use for the day and never even use them i also dont want to have to charge my spells to use them and finaly i want to instintaly cast them and i know that there is a feat for that and to be honost i do like the psionic telepath (jedi) but my dm says i go way to far with the PP useage like one manifestation i use 145 out of 150 PP (i wnat to make sure if i dont kill what im hiting i sevearly weaken them)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

ok version of d&d is 3.5 the type of build is range bace with some close. why i said no wizard is i dont want to have to choose the spells i want to use for the day and never even use them i also dont want to have to charge my spells to use them and finaly i want to instintaly cast them and i know that there is a feat for that and to be honost i do like the psionic telepath (jedi) but my dm says i go way to far with the PP useage like one manifestation i use 145 out of 150 PP (i wnat to make sure if i dont kill what im hiting i sevearly weaken them)
    1) That was a serious wall of text.

2) I have no idea what you're saying about psionics, please explain with traditional sentence structure so we can understand.
    What time is it?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Psions can only spend power points on their powers up to their ML.

Unless you had a manifested level of 145 (possible but doubtful) then you are not able to spend that many PP on one power.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a rule in psionics that you and your DM seem to be ignoring. You can never spend more power points than your manifester level. Psionics is perfectly well balanced as long as you play it by the rules. :)

Of course ignore this comment if you are playing a level 145 character.
    Last edited by Rebel7284; 2015-02-09 at 01:16 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ignore any of these comments if you are playing a level 145 character, because you can do anything without our help.
    What time is it?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to recommend Warmage from Complete Arcane. You don't have to choose your spells, and you get to blast a lot.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

So no AD&D? Damn I was so sure on that... Hey what about playing a Sith Lord? You can use lightning on your DM and use whatever PP you want. Fck the rules! Fck the system! USE PP LIKE A FREAKING BOSS!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Since I'm fairly sure we're supposed to suggest something from the 3.5 edition and the other posters already commented on the lack of information in the OP, I'd recommend... Spellthief, or Beguiler... or Spellthief/Beguiler/Unseen Seer (which, btw, is a character I always wanted to try and never got the chance to do so).
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

24. - Top - End - #24
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

The Winged Mod:Thread Necromancy.