New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2 Thread III: Keeping Up With The Karlings

What's everyone's fixation with Independance?

I was lucky and got independend within the first five years, managed to create the kingdom of Toscana... And then had to struggle for two generations constantly looking over my shoulder at the Emperor of the HRE. Having 5000 men myself against 30 000 men (and de jure claims on everything you own) makes you do that.
    I finally gave in and just re-pledged myself to him and I am now by far the most powerful player in the HRE.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

2. - Top - End - #722
    Bugbear in the Playground

Everyone wants to be king of their own little hill, I suppose. It's easier to get alliances that actually have meaning when you're independent, and you're not at risk of your king deciding "Man, I'm not paying back money to the Jews!" right before you needed to borrow money.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

3. - Top - End - #723
    Colossus in the Playground

I find vassal play extremely boring - you're much more limited in expansion, laws, and generally doing stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

There can be times when not being independent can be fine. As long as the Crown Authority is Limited or Low, then you can pretty much operate as if you were your own independent nation anyways, or if you're just so much powerful than anyone else in the realm(even your liege) that they pretty much have to do anything you say. However, at that point there's an argument to be had that you might as well be independent. The only reason i can think of not to gain independence at that point would be if...say you also held the Kingdom of Jerusalem and wanted protection from Jihads or Crusades(depending on your religion). Since if you had an Emperor Overlord, they would have to declare on him and thus bring in all of that emperor's vassals as well as your own armies.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2015-07-20 at 10:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ogre in the Playground

Once you're at the Empire level, I don't see a reason to not become independent. Although, I thought it might be fun to play a game where you purposefully put Elective Monarchy in place and just run the Empire as a sort of Republic for a very long time. I'm always trying to remove that stuff when I'm playing though. I don't care if my son is a half-wit! He shall rule!

6. - Top - End - #726

Honestly, the "manage your vassal multi-king" minigame is a lot more fun than "dogpile on your liege with the obligatory 50 dissatisfied dukes" for me. Especially since it's so easy to quickly build your empire's fortunes on the back of a single man's claims. I still need to go back to my Britannia game where I picked up Navarra, Brittany, and Aquitaine off the claims of one single guy, whose Ambitious son lost the "pushed my claim" opinion bonus that kept his daddy in check.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

Well I think the plan now is to not create Italia, but to take over HRE and make it culturally Italian

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

8. - Top - End - #728

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Well I think the plan now is to not create Italia, but to take over HRE and make it culturally Italian
    Put the "Roman" back in Holy Roman Empire!

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Playing as a vassal can be interesting if the realm is fairly decentralized and/or unstable. Once you get to Medium/High CA and a stable ruling dynasty, there's just not enough options to keep things interesting.
    ithilanor on Steam.

10. - Top - End - #730

Well, if you're playing a vassal and you're LETTING authority get high and the dynasty get stable, then what are you doing?

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still trying to take over Ireland. I have 5 counties but none of the others seem to be interested in any decent-strength marriage alliances that could lead to unification. There aren't many foreign opportunities either, so it's hard to marry off daughters without taking a 100-point prestige hit for marrying below their station.

Every single assassination plot the entire game has failed, usually spoiled by some idiot getting drunk. I'm about ready to give up on intrigue.

One of my vassals rebelled, and I was able to take his title away; currently, it's part of my king's demense, but he's stuck in a war (Scottish rebellion #8) and can't change the inheritance laws to primogeniture; if the war is still going when the king dies, it goes to one of the kinsman. Annoying.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    I'm still trying to take over Ireland. I have 5 counties but none of the others seem to be interested in any decent-strength marriage alliances that could lead to unification. There aren't many foreign opportunities either, so it's hard to marry off daughters without taking a 100-point prestige hit for marrying below their station.

Every single assassination plot the entire game has failed, usually spoiled by some idiot getting drunk. I'm about ready to give up on intrigue.

One of my vassals rebelled, and I was able to take his title away; currently, it's part of my king's demense, but he's stuck in a war (Scottish rebellion #8) and can't change the inheritance laws to primogeniture; if the war is still going when the king dies, it goes to one of the kinsman. Annoying.
    Fabricate a couple county claims?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

13. - Top - End - #733

I started a new game as the Zunbils. How do I judge someone by the sun? I think it used to be an option in Intrigue, but all I can do is the sun festival.

Also, it's surprising how you can go from a ~4000 troop army under your first ruler with 7 martial skill to ~800 troops under a new one with 16 Martial because Gavelkind steals away all but one of your counties, god freakin' dammit! At least I was able to create Afghanistan, and the Arabian Empire suffered an unfortunate revolt so they can't get up in my business with holy wars until they finish it.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hooray Gavelkind!
    Last edited by Leecros; 2015-07-21 at 07:33 AM.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    Well, if you're playing a vassal and you're LETTING authority get high and the dynasty get stable, then what are you doing?
    Some starts begin that way, like 867 ERE or 1066 HRE.
    ithilanor on Steam.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Titan in the Playground

I built an extra city in my home province (yay, more $) and things are looking up... but I've replayed the same year 4 or 5 times because the game has started crashing on the 1128 autosave.

Any suggestions?
    Campaign Logs:

17. - Top - End - #737

Change auto-save frequency?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

HRE in my game is very stable AND very decentralized.

In fact it is the most stable HRE I have ever seen, with the same family running it for almost 200 years. ZERO large civil wars after the year 1070. Yet it runs on low throne authority.
    This means I have slowly been able to expand both inwards (by getting claims on other dukes) AND more quickly attacking outwards (eating up Sicily and Spain mainly).

At the moment I fluctuate between having 35% and 40% of the HRE's entire forces and am I now on the verge of being able to become the next emperor.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2015-07-22 at 04:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, I'm starting to get this game figured out. Despite losing 3/4 of my dynasty to disease and early death, it's 110x and my 20 year old Genius (married to a Strong princess from Bretogne or somesuch) with super stewardship (15-20 range) is King of Ireland. Once he bought the title, everyone agreed to vassalization quickly.

High Stewardship OP.

Now, I can either stop where I'm at, or try to take over Scotland. Fabricating claims buys direct rule only, and I'm already at 7/8 on my demense. I believe that what I'm supposed to do is fabricate claims province-by-province, and then turn spare provinces over to blood-relation vassals. Is that correct? At a 1-by-1 rate with truces in between, it's going to take a long, long time to take over Britannia.

Also - where's the menu option to turn on notifications for children who need educating?
    Last edited by J-H; 2015-07-25 at 07:28 PM.
    Campaign Logs:

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, I'm starting to get this game figured out. Despite losing 3/4 of my dynasty to disease and early death, it's 110x and my 20 year old Genius (married to a Strong princess from Bretogne or somesuch) with super stewardship (15-20 range) is King of Ireland. Once he bought the title, everyone agreed to vassalization quickly.

High Stewardship OP.

Now, I can either stop where I'm at, or try to take over Scotland. Fabricating claims buys direct rule only, and I'm already at 7/8 on my demense. I believe that what I'm supposed to do is fabricate claims province-by-province, and then turn spare provinces over to blood-relation vassals. Is that correct? At a 1-by-1 rate with truces in between, it's going to take a long, long time to take over Britannia.

Also - where's the menu option to turn on notifications for children who need educating?
    You can fabricate a claim on a county, and then give it to somebody with a claim on a duchy. When you press that claim in the next war, you'll snap up the entire duchy due to him already being your landed vassal.
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

High Stewardship OP.

If there are still independent counts/dukes, you can forge/press claims on them separately from Scotland (also, if Scotland breaks due to a civil war or similar, you can try to press any claims you have on the temporarily-separate provinces. But move quick, 'cause your war ends when the civil war does.. you may want to throw in in support of one side or the other to make sure neither has an upper hand until you get what you want.) You can also forge a claim on an entire duchy if your Chancellor is skilled enough (16+ preferred), although it's really expensive; the most reliable way to do it is to park your chancellor on the duchy capital you want. Wait until he develops a county claim and pay for it. Now leave him there. Eventually the claim event will fire again, and this time he should offer a claim on the entire duchy. Costs something silly like 4x your yearly income.

The traditional way is to find some disgruntled claimants to the titles you want, invite them to your court, land them, and then press their claims. Or you can try the game of thrones and try to marry your bloodline into being in line for the throne. Takes a while to pay off and can require some annoying management of the bloodline you're trying to usurp, but it works.

(If you're really good at intrigue, don't forget that truces only last for the lives of the two individuals that signed them.. so you can end the truce by murdering the other guy. If you manage to do this a few times, the rapid changeovers of rulers is likely to destabilize the realm as well, so you might be able to capitalize on a few civil wars too.)

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks.
    Every assassination plot I've ever tried has been exposed by drunken idiots, or has never gone anywhere. I'm sure it works, but even with a 15 spymaster it just doesn't work reliably.
    Campaign Logs:

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks.
    Every assassination plot I've ever tried has been exposed by drunken idiots, or has never gone anywhere. I'm sure it works, but even with a 15 spymaster it just doesn't work reliably.
    This is one of my biggest peeves with CKII. Despite all the hype about the usefulness of assassination, it's so d*** random that I never find it remotely worth it. What's that? Double-digit Intrigue on you and a 20-Intrigue Spymaster doing the power-boosting mission? 250% plot power against a target with a crap Intrigue stat? Have fun with all the opinion penalties from an assassination plot revealing your involvement twice!

At this point, I've long since given up and just treat the game as though assassination doesn't exist
    Last edited by Artanis; 2015-07-25 at 11:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

If you really want to play the assassination game, choose the Intrigue focus. Then you can have two plots against the same character going at once. One regular, one that you personally spy on the character... where you get random events like kidnapping or assassinate the character.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    If you really want to play the assassination game, choose the Intrigue focus. Then you can have two plots against the same character going at once. One regular, one that you personally spy on the character... where you get random events like kidnapping or assassinate the character.
    I didn't know that, so I'll keep it in mind

I'm still not using the normal assassination plots though. As far as I'm concerned, the Intrigue focus thing merely brings the number of assassination options worth considering up from zero to one.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #746
    Troll in the Playground

You're not helpless where plots are concerned, whether it's marrying high-intrigue amoral women into your enemy's court, or taking advantage of the fact that a spymaster is generally less beloved than a ruler, or sowing dissent if the spymaster is landed.

The spymaster is the lynchpin here, if he's on your side you'll barely ever get discovered. Sometimes, though, even if you have five thousand plot power (which I've had before; that man was very unpopular) Plot system needed a rework before they removed the assassination button, sadly didn't get one.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    You're not helpless where plots are concerned, whether it's marrying high-intrigue amoral women into your enemy's court, or taking advantage of the fact that a spymaster is generally less beloved than a ruler, or sowing dissent if the spymaster is landed.

The spymaster is the lynchpin here, if he's on your side you'll barely ever get discovered. Sometimes, though, even if you have five thousand plot power (which I've had before; that man was very unpopular) Plot system needed a rework before they removed the assassination button, sadly didn't get one.
    I know all the things that I can do to boost my chances of success. I also know how useful a well-timed assassination can be (which, incidentally, is the main reason why the system annoys me so much). My problem with it is that you have no idea whatsoever of what the odds are. There is virtually no way to determine your chances of success - and your odds of being revealed - beyond at best "maybe" or "probably" or "probably not". I have had the RNG give me the finger one too many times for me to even consider it any longer. When I play CKII, I am far happier not dealing with that annoyance and frustration than I am with getting the occasional useful result.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

I view having an assassination plot active as a long-term plan. You have no idea how much moving and shaking is going on in the foreign court as the people you've paid off try to manipulate the conditions to be just right - I like to imagine that there are a few hardcore plotters biding their time, year after year, as they liaise with the local cattle farmers to buy up dung in bulk, and argue for a special Royal License for the nearby tavern to gradually encourage their liege to patronise it ... whereas it's the johnny-come-lately spider wannabes that get drunk and blab insufferably to their peers that they know a friend of a friend who's trying to arrange a hit.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

problem is that something like assassination is a hard thing to balance in CKII. On one hand, if you make things too easy, then it pretty much becomes an easy way to victory. This was how it was in CKII before the removal of the assassinate button. You got a bunch of money together...Money which didn't really take too long to pull together(even the cost to assassinate an emperor could be easily acquired by a powerful duke), stationed your spymaster and pushed the button. Usually after 2-3 tries you killed him/her.

On the other hand, if they make it too hard, then assassination becomes one of those very rare luxuries and doesn't end up having an influence in the game whatsoever.

right now, i think they're pretty nicely in the middle of those two extremes. I'd be concerned about any more changes making it too easy/hard to do. Plus assassinations should be relatively rare. It's not like it was an everyday occurrence back then.

30. - Top - End - #750

Hello, shameless plug here! In case anyone still has some faith in me, I'm planning to start a new AAR in CK2, theoretically evolving into a mega-campaign. My earlier EU4 games were well-received if ultimately... unlucky. Check out the thread if you're interested.

On topic though, I think the Intrigue focus has taken things a little too far too. It's far too easy to, say, kidnap Charlemagne as a minor count - with no real penalties - and let him rot in your cells while the realm descends into chaos. I'm not so sure about the technical sides of CK2, but it really needs to account for the target's power and position. Or maybe I just tend to get really lucky, I don't know. From what I hear, Seduction is pretty silly too, or at least was - have these been patched recently?
    Saga of the Slavs – Paradox Megacampaign AAR (continued at last!)

Sovereign Levander on Steam