New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5: Score and Nine

A 148

Yes, as long as the spell in question is not a domain spell:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The cleric can "lose" any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower (a cure spell is any spell with "cure" in its name).

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Q 149 What happens when a creature with a natural attack dealing no damage, like an Octopus' tentacles or a Rust Monster's antennae, takes the Improved Natural Attack feat?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q150 does nondetection block see invis? Also, can I get an answer to Q122?

4. - Top - End - #304
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q151 if I have fire shield up, and some one attacks me, hits me, but doesn't do any damage because they cant penetrate my DR, do they still take the damage from fire shield?

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

A 122

Attacking has no bearing on the ability. The shadow mastiff remains totally concealed.

A 149

Nothing. If you do not know the initial damage dice you cannot deduce the increased one.

Q 151

Yes, the trigger is a successful attack, not dealing damage.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2015-01-25 at 08:42 AM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 147 No.

This is a bonus from two instances of the same source: the named class ability AC Bonus. Instead of stacking they overlap, and you would get the better of the two.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

Q 152

Can you cast a Melee Touch spell while charging, granting the charge attack bonus to the Melee Touch?
    Last edited by Cardea; 2015-01-25 at 01:52 PM.
    Just finding my roots again.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Barbarian in the Playground

A150: No/Ask your DM

Nondetection specifically grants protection against "divination spells such as clairaudience/clairvoyance, locate object, and detect spells." You could make a case for 'such as' to include other spells that are similar, but either way See Invisibility would likely not be covered under this. Clairaudience/clairvoyance, locate object, and detect (x) are all have a 'range' entry, and are based on actively finding certain things, while See Invisibility is a Personal spell that alters their sight in such a way that they can see invisible objects. As it is a personal spell, and not 'detecting' invisible foes, merely changing the target's perceptions, it is likely not prevented.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 152
    I don''t think you can cast a touch spell when charging, but if the spell has already been cast and you're holding a touch spell's charge, you can charge with the charge. No charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 144

The Warlock's Eldritch Blast has a spell level equivalent. If the SR of a Karsite or Spellwarped Creature blocks an Eldritch Blast, does the equivalent spell level count for Spell Healing and Spell Absorption, respectively?
    Repeated for a new page.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q153 monster advancement: can you advance a dark naga so that he has access to higher level spells by just adding hit dice?

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

A 153

No - increasing HD does not add any extra abilities (unless specifically noted in monster entry), and only increases HP, BAB, saves, skill points etc.

If you wanted to increase it's spell casting, you would need to give it levels in Sorcerer (which would stack with it's innate casting).

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 153 No.
    Spells: Dark nagas cast spells as 7th-level sorcerers.
    There is no mention of changing spellcasting attributes with HD advancement in the monster description. You get only what's specified.

14. - Top - End - #314

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q 133

Does the cranium Rat swarm really break several swarm rules as its entry implies? Apparently it occupies only a 5by5 foot square, and counts as a diminuitive swarm, despite not meeting the minimum number of creatures nor holding up in comparison to a standard rat swarm, which is tiny.
    Still looking for an answer to that one :/

15. - Top - End - #315

ElfPirate

A133

See the FF 3.5 Update. They take up a 10' area and are Diminutive creatures. Per MM, the primary source for monster entries, they consist of 1500 individual critters. The FF 3.5 update even goes as far as stating, "use the basic swarms information presented in the revised Monster Manual glossary."
    Hmm, seem to have left the last letter out of my name I wonder if I can change that somehow...

Vestige by Marlowe http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...2&postcount=70

16. - Top - End - #316

PirateWench

Q 154

Can the Xen'Drik Boomerang, or similar weapons, be used a melee weapon? Are there any associated penalties if yes?

17. - Top - End - #317
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q155

Can a Warforged outrun an Ooze? By which I mean I remember reading that Warforged don't have to make the same ability checks as other PCs when it comes to getting tired from running.
    Made me wonder if Oozes do.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

A 153 addendum:

There are some creatures whose casting is explicitly tied to their hit dice. A sylph, for instance, casts spells as a sorcerer of level four greater than her HD, and so advancing a sylph by RHD will advance her innate casting. Most of them, however, just have a set level.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

19. - Top - End - #319

Q156

For the application of the Factotum class ability Cunning Insight, is the ability damage dealt by a martial maneuver like Bonesplitting Strike, which is a flat amount tacked onto the damage roll, considered a part of the overall damage roll, and thus Cunning Insight can be applied to it, or is it considered separate, and thus not subject to Cunning Insight?

For reference, this is what the pertinent text says:

If your attack hits, the target takes normal damage as well as 2 points of Constitution damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    Contingency is like playing chess but you get to make several moves on your turn, several on you opponents turn and you're allowed to rearrange the board when he gets up to go to the bathroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Spite™! Obey your thirst...for VENGEANCE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    I'm not saying that nobody should play the marathon runner. I'm saying we should at least give him rollerblades.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 156

Cunning Insight can apply only to a roll (attack, damage, or save). Bonesplitting Strike's CON damage is not a roll, but the normal damage (usually) is. If you succeed on the attack you add the Cunning Insight bonus to the normal damage roll, and Bonesplitting Strike's CON damage is applied separately.

21. - Top - End - #321

Q157

Does the Decisive Strike damage multiplier apply to rolled ability damage from martial maneuvers like Mind Strike, Hamstring Attack or Mountain Tombstone Strike?
    Contingency is like playing chess but you get to make several moves on your turn, several on you opponents turn and you're allowed to rearrange the board when he gets up to go to the bathroom.
    I'm not saying that nobody should play the marathon runner. I'm saying we should at least give him rollerblades.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 157 No.

Decisive Strike is a replacement for Flurry of Blows, which requires a full-round action. Decisive Strike also requires a full-round action to execute. You cannot use a standard action maneuver (Mind Strike, Hamstring Attack, or Mountain Tombstone Strike) as part of a full-round action.

23. - Top - End - #323

Q157 Clarification

Using a Factotum's Cunning Surge, you can gain additional Standard Actions with which you can initiate maneuvers. In that case, does the Decisive Strike damage multiplier apply to rolled ability damage from martial maneuvers like Mind Strike, Hamstring Attack or Mountain Tombstone Strike?

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

A 157 Clarification

No, no matter how many actions you have available in a turn, the full round action for the full attack and the standard action for the aforementioned maneuvers are still separate actions. You cannot use any maneuver as part of another action.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2015-01-26 at 02:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325

Q157 Further Clarification

Decisive Strike also has the following clause:

If the attack hits, it deals double damage (as does any other attack you make before the start of your next turn).
    I'm not suggesting taking performing the maneuver as part of the Decisive Strike, but asking whether the multiplier, which lasts until the start of the player's next turn, applies to the rolled ability damage of those maneuvers.

Or, is it being said that, because it's a full-round action, Cunning Surge cannot be used to gain additional standard actions?
    Last edited by HaikenEdge; 2015-01-26 at 02:33 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 157 clarified

Yes, if you have an extra standard action available for a strike attack in the round after using Decisive Strike, your character will get double damage on that strike, whether it uses a damage roll or not.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q158incorporeal creatures have a %50 chance to ignore damage from a corporeal source. What if I polymorph or shape change into an incorporeal creature and say cast a spell at the incorporeal being. Does the being still get a %50 miss chance?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2015-01-28 at 02:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

A 157 further clarification

I believe the relevant rule is here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook p134
    Multiplying damage: Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage (see Multiplying, page 304).

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage, such as that dealt by a sneak attack or the special ability of a flaming sword, are never multiplied.
    (Usually this rule shows up when you're talking about critical hits, but it also applies any other time you're multiplying damage.)

So for a maneuver such as Foehammer, which deals 2d6 extra damage, you would double the normal weapon damage and Strength mod, but not the 2d6. If the damage is not in the form of dice, however, the damage is doubled, so Strike of Perfect Clarity (for example) would deal +200 damage instead of +100.

29. - Top - End - #329

Imp

Q 159

How would the breath weapon DC of an undead dragonfire adept be calculated? Off of CHA?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2015-01-26 at 05:54 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330

A159: Yes

Also use Charisma for any DC that normally would be based on an ability score the creature does not have. For example, undead creatures have no Constitution score, so any poison attacks they have would use Charisma to determine the save DC.
    Monster Manual, page 300.