New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Create Your Own Adventure: A Soft Sci-Fi Edition

I'm also going to jump on the bandwagon Xefas started, and see how this goes; hopefully we'll have an enjoyable experience. The story will be simple at first; a small colony ship is drifting through space, after an accident that left only one survivor. I have some ideas about where the story will go, but let's see what you guys choose before too much is made solid. As far as game systems go, this will be based off of the d20 system, but it will be used very loosely. I'll try to update every two or three days, depending on how many votes this thread gets. And here it goes....

The lights in corridor 2-A flicker a bit as you slowly make your way forward. The halls are clean and have a sterile look, just as they did when The Ark launched about three weeks ago. It's been very lonely here.

Choice #1
    > You have been active for thirteen thousand, three hundred seven minutes since the last organic crew member died. Your robotic nature has allowed you to survive the plague that wiped out your crewmates.
    > It's been a little over nine days since your last crewmate died, leaving you alone on this ship. What allowed you to survive as you watched friend and coworker alike wither and die from disease is unclear at the moment, but now you are alone.

Though most interior systems seem to be working, something is interfering with long-range sensors and communications. All things considered, things couldn't have been much worse. With the medical officer being the first to die, and no one able to call for help, the days of plague were emotionally grueling for all involved.

Choice #2
    > You tried to help the sick the best you could, but you ultimately could not help.
    > You weren't involved with helping the sick until a large part of the crew were diagnosed. By that point things were overwhelming.
    > You didn't help the sick at all. Whether it be because you placed priority on fixing the ship or just didn't want to be around the infected, you purposely removed yourself from the diseased as frequently as you could.

Spoiler
    Show
    Choice #1: You have been active for thirteen thousand, three hundred seven minutes since the last organic crew member died. Your robotic nature has allowed you to survive the plague that wiped out your crewmates.
    Choice #2: You weren't involved with helping the sick until a large part of the crew were diagnosed. By that point things were overwhelming.
    Choice #3: You've shut down most non-essential systems in order to conserve power. The lights are on, but the temperature is very low and the air is stale. This doesn't make much of a difference for you, and it's not like anyone else is around to complain about it.
    Choice #4: You press the button to summon the elevator with your pointer-finger. While perhaps not exactly a "new" model, your creation is relatively recent and that has some perks; namely, a completely humanoid form.
    Choice #5: It might be a good idea to go to the engine room.
    Choice #6: You were programmed to be a xenobiologist's assistant, in order to help with the Ark's cargo. You have very little experience with repairing engines.
    Choice #7: Time to check the access monitor.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2015-01-29 at 11:09 AM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Create Your Own Adventure: A Soft Sci-Fi Edition

Choice #1:
    > You have been active for thirteen thousand, three hundred seven minutes since the last organic crew member died. Your robotic nature has allowed you to survive the plague that wiped out your crewmates.

Choice #2:
    > You weren't involved with helping the sick until a large part of the crew were diagnosed. By that point things were overwhelming.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I was hoping more people were going to bite, but after three days I think it's safe to say I can keep going. Hopefully more people will get involved as time goes on. In the meantime, thank you for starting this, Ramsus.

-----

Besides the clanking of your feet as you move, the low hum of the engine is the only sound that pervades the hall. You've done a quick sweep of this level, and things seem to be functioning normally. The elevator is just a bit farther down the hall.

Choice #3
    >You've shut down most non-essential systems in order to conserve power. The lights are on, but the temperature is very low and the air is stale. This doesn't make much of a difference for you, and it's not like anyone else is around to complain about it.
    >Call it sentimentality if you want, but you haven't quite been able to go into power-saving mode yet. To do so would mean that everyone else is dead, and that's not something you're quite ready to do yet.

There doesn't seem to be much else to do on this level for now, so it would probably be a good idea to go check one of the others.

Choice #4
    >Using one of the three stubby appendages at the end of your arm, you click the button to summon the elevator. Walking in about out of door frames is a bit difficult for a robot of your size and shape, but you've grown accustomed to navigating through the halls of the ship.
    >You press the button to summon the elevator with your pointer-finger. While perhaps not exactly a "new" model, your creation is relatively recent and that has some perks; namely, a completely humanoid form.

The elevator is only waiting on you, and so it arrives pretty quickly. Closing soon after you enter, it now awaits your destination.

Choice #5
    >You want to go to the morgue.
    >It might be a good idea to go to the engine room.
    >The bridge is definitely where you want to go.
    >It's best if you go see how the cargo is doing.
    >Time to go check the mess hall.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I don't get the lack of activity either. Personally I think this has a ton of potential, so don't get discouraged!

Choice #3
    Option 1

Choice #4
    Option 2

Choice #5
    Engine room.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I guess it's time to continue. I'm starting to think that I probably should have gone with the Neanderthal prehistoric fantasy adventure.

------

As soon as you click the button for the engine room, the elevator begins to move downward. When it opens, the light in the room ahead is dim and the humming sound coming from the engine is sporadic. The shadowshift drive is still damaged, so no faster-than-light speed is possible.

Choice #6
    > You were programmed to be a soldier, and you have very little experience with repairing engines.
    > You were programmed to be a xenobiologist's assistant, in order to help with the Ark's cargo. You have very little experience with repairing engines.
    > You were programmed to be a technician; You haven't been working on the engines before now, however, as you were busy trying to repair other systems.
    > You were programmed to be a technician; repairs to the engine have been slow but steady, though you're not quite finished yet.

The access monitor near the elevator's entrance is online, but in a power-saver mode. Several vents line the ceiling, each one leading to a separate section of Engineering. If you continue forward, you could cross a small bridge to the other side of the room, which has more extensive controls for the engine, energy shielding, sensors, and communications. Underneath the bridge is the actual shadowshift drive, a large cylindrical object laying on its side. Several small lights on the access ports flicker, a sign that something isn't working properly.

Choice #7
    >Time to check the access monitor.
    >Time to follow the vents to (communications/sensors/energy shielding)
    >Time to access the main controls.
    >Time to enter the elevator again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I thought you'd given up. I'm glad you're back. Don't know if a different setting would help really. Although I still don't get why everyone isn't all over this. *shrug*

Choice 6
    Option 2

Choice 7
    Option 1

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Just saw this, I'll join in! Feel free to use Ramsus' choice 7 if it's still a tie when you post.

Choice #6

Option #2
    You were programmed to be a xenobiologist's assistant, in order to help with the Ark's cargo. You have very little experience with repairing engines.

Choice #7

Option #2
    Vents to energy shielding!

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Well, I thought you'd given up. I'm glad you're back. Don't know if a different setting would help really. Although I still don't get why everyone isn't all over this. *shrug*

Choice 6
    Option 2

Choice 7
    Option 1
    I bandwagon on to Ramus's choice.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

(I'm not all over this because this is a bit hard to grasp/understand at a glance. I think I get it now.)

Choice #6
    Option 4

Choice #7
    Option 2
    Last edited by Cyber Punk; 2015-01-27 at 06:48 AM. Reason: forgot to Bold.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Choice 6
    Option 2

Choice 7
    Option 1
    I can get behind a bandwagon of this.
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

Steam ID: blacklight101

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, hello everyone! Glad to see a few new people involved. I'll try to update more frequently.

As you switch on the access monitor, the following words appear of the screen;

Choice #8
    >"Welcome, XYGT-0853." The computer's recognition software identified you, and used your production code number.
    >"Welcome, Russell/Jeanne/Goodall/Jolly." The computer's recognition software identified you. You named yourself, and modified the computer to identify you by the name accordingly.
    >"Welcome, Russell/Jeanne/Goodall/Jolly." The computer's recognition software identified you. The crew gave you that nickname quite a while ago, and it stuck. Someone even thought it would be a good idea to modify the crew manifest to make it your 'official' name.

Note: Feel free to add your own naming options.

The welcome screen quickly disappears, being replaced by a display with several options. Though you may not be able to manpulate the finer points of the ship's subsystems, you can see their status from this terminal. You can also check the crew rooster, individual reports and logs from the past several weeks, the video cameras and other internal ship sensors, among other things.

Option #9
    >I should continue to write out reports; now is as good a time as ever.
    >Perhaps I should look into the logs filed by other crewmembers.
    >A cursory glance at the ship's subsystems is probably the best course of action.
    >I should check the internal ship sensors; there might be something I need to see.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, I love these! I wish I noticed sooner.

Choice #8

Option 3: "Welcome, Russell/Jeanne/Goodall/Jolly Ramsus." The computer's recognition software identified you. The crew gave you that nickname quite a while ago, and it stuck. Someone even thought it would be a good idea to modify the crew manifest to make it your 'official' name.

((Since Ramsus was the first, and for a time only player, I think naming rights should be his. ))

Option #9

Choice 3: A cursory glance at the ship's subsystems is probably the best course of action.
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2015-01-29 at 02:06 PM.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Choice 8
    Option 3 (lol Lex) I guess I don't care what the name is too much. I was trying to think of what Xeniobiologists would nickname a robot, but couldn't think up anything especially clever.

Choice 9
    Option 4
    Edit: Unless Option 5 "All of the above" is on the table.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2015-01-29 at 02:15 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post

Choice #8

Option 3: "Welcome, Russell/Jeanne/Goodall/Jolly Ramsus." The computer's recognition software identified you. The crew gave you that nickname quite a while ago, and it stuck. Someone even thought it would be a good idea to modify the crew manifest to make it your 'official' name.

((Since Ramsus was the first, and for a time only player, I think naming rights should be his. ))

Option #9

Choice 3: A cursory glance at the ship's subsystems is probably the best course of action.
    I can agree with this. Rasmus should get choice here.
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

15. - Top - End - #15

>"Welcome, Ramus." The computer's recognition software identified you. The crew gave you that nickname quite a while ago, and it stuck. Someone even thought it would be a good idea to modify the crew manifest to make it your 'official' name.

>All of the above in order of look for logs that could have useful information, check the sub-systems, check the ship's sensors, then write a report based on what I found out.

16. - Top - End - #16

BardGuy

Choice #8

Option #9

^^^ agreed

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Choice 8
    Option 3 (lol Lex) I guess I don't care what the name is too much. I was trying to think of what Xeniobiologists would nickname a robot, but couldn't think up anything especially clever.

Choice 9
    Option 4
    Edit: Unless Option 5 "All of the above" is on the table.
    Subscribed and bandwagoning onto this.

Subsystems are nice, but the ship wil probably hold together a little longer. I've a curiosity to see if anything is happening elsewhere.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I was trying to think of what Xeniobiologists would nickname a robot, but couldn't think up anything especially clever.
    Actually, all the names I listed were meant to be hints for what is to come. I probably should have put "exobiologist" rather than "xenobiologist" in retrospect, but I'll mash the two together. I said "soft sci-fi" for a reason, after all.

-----

A slight tinge of emotion is felt as the computer welcomes you, Ramsus. The first thing you decide to look at is the subsystems; life support is largely inactive, just as you intended. Communications are fully operational, though the interference from the surrounding nebula still prevents long-distance real-time communication. The sublight engines are working, allowing for a maximum speed of 25,000 miles per hour. The shadowshift drive is still inactive, but under repair. Shielding is active, though the starboard side is very weak. Fore and aft laser batteries are functional.

Internal sensors are functioning normally and are picking up several thousand lifeforms, external sensors are functioning normally and picking up several objects, most with a natural origin. A closer look is required for specifics.

Choice #10:
    >Perhaps I should focus on communications/engines/shielding/weaponry/external sensors at the system's primary terminal.
    >I should continue to write out reports; now is as good a time as ever.
    >I should check the internal ship sensors; there might be something I need to see.
    >It's about time I logged off the access computer, and explore the engine room some more.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Option #4, which might shed some light on the fact that this ship is apparently brimming with life.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'll agree that Option #4 seems the way to go. Though I was quite tempted to go with #3.

21. - Top - End - #21

BardGuy

Option #3

Let's see what happened to the crew.

22. - Top - End - #22

Dues Ramus know why there are a thousand life forms on board? If he duesn't then I think finding out is first priority.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I'll choose Option 3 as well. Let's see what happened to the rest of the crew.

24. - Top - End - #24

Zombie

I'll choose Option 3 as well. Let's see what happened to the rest of the crew.
    Yeah, I can go with this.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GorinichSerpant View Post
    Dues Ramus know why there are a thousand life forms on board? If he duesn't then I think finding out is first priority.
    This, otherwise #3. Oh, and hello, I'm joining now too.

I started with a false start on a planet seconds before it collided with another planet. When it started for real, it was on a prison transport ship that got shipwrecked.

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    I want these guys in a campaign.

'Hey, pretty necromancer, wanna post for a photograph?'

'Could you hurry up? I wanna see her insides!'

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

#4 Check the internal sensors. My first thought was that all that life is just everyday harmless bacteria, but then I figured the sensors would ignore those. The computer is picking up whatever killed the crew. We should collect some and find out how to kill it, then spread the cure all over the ship. If this little robot ever gets back to civilization, it wouldn't do any good to spread the disease.
    huh

27. - Top - End - #27

Can we go for sensors and logs? If not, i'll choose sensors first to make sure the ship is safe enough to actually check the logs in peace.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

LOTRfan hasn't been on in over two months. I think this game is unfortunately dead.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Booper View Post
    #4 Check the internal sensors. My first thought was that all that life is just everyday harmless bacteria, but then I figured the sensors would ignore those. The computer is picking up whatever killed the crew. We should collect some and find out how to kill it, then spread the cure all over the ship. If this little robot ever gets back to civilization, it wouldn't do any good to spread the disease.
    I will Bandwagon this, if it isn't dead.

30. - Top - End - #30

Choice #10:

Sure, most of them will be ramblings of deceased employees begging for life, but hey, there might be something useful we could learn.