New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default feycraft shadow silk hide armor

A while back i made a concept for a noctumancer (tome of magic) and made some armor for her. Feycraft shadowsilk hide armor. I like it cause this character has really high dex and this has just enough (maybe a little more than enough can't remember at the moment.) The character also has a rediculous hide check so i love the concept. they should also always be in shadowy illumination or have easy access to it unless things have gone horribly wrong so there would be 0% arcane spell failure. The issue comes the fact that this is like wearing tissue paper. a poke with a toothpick might be enough to break it as it has 1 hp and no hardness, so it should only be used if it is enchanted.

(TL;DR) I want to know, is there a way besides just basic armor bonus enchantment to increase the hp and/or hardness of feycraft shadowsilk hide armor without sacrificing bonus dex and spell failure?
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2014-12-27 at 03:28 PM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: feycraft shadow silk hide armor

Crystal of Adamant Armor from MiC Pg 24. Just note that worn armor can't be sundered, so this shouldn't come up often, if ever
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-12-27 at 04:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Matter Manipulation (Psion 8) can increase hardness by up to 5 and is instantaneous. It also increases HP.
    Follow that up with Augment Object (Clr, Drd, Wiz 3) from the Stronghold Builders Guidebook to double hardness and HP for 1day/level
    Last edited by sleepyphoenixx; 2014-12-27 at 05:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hardness is 5th or 6th level Sorc/Wiz spell, that increases an object's harndess by one. It is in the Spell Compendium.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nevershutup View Post
    Hardness is 5th or 6th level Sorc/Wiz spell, that increases an object's harndess by one. It is in the Spell Compendium.
    is that permanent?
    Damn girl you definitely have a +8 size modifier to AC!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    is that permanent?
    i would hope so, for a 5/6th level spell and only 1 point
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

7. - Top - End - #7

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    i would hope so, for a 5/6th level spell and only 1 point
    It is. For every two caster levels add 1 to the Hardness. HP is the same, tho.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

FYI, the Psion one stacks with itself (it's untyped), so with 5 consecutive castings, it could be tougher than Adamantine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    A while back i made a concept for a noctumancer (tome of magic) and made some armor for her. Feycraft shadowsilk hide armor. I like it cause this character has really high dex and this has just enough (maybe a little more than enough can't remember at the moment.) The character also has a rediculous hide check so i love the concept. they should also always be in shadowy illumination or have easy access to it unless things have gone horribly wrong so there would be 0% arcane spell failure. The issue comes the fact that this is like wearing tissue paper. a poke with a toothpick might be enough to break it as it has 1 hp and no hardness, so it should only be used if it is enchanted.

(TL;DR) I want to know, is there a way besides just basic armor bonus enchantment to increase the hp and/or hardness of feycraft shadowsilk hide armor without sacrificing bonus dex and spell failure?
    There's a spell somewhere that bumps hardness and hp, but I think the spell compendium one overwrites it.

FYI, the Psion one stacks with itself (it's untyped), so with 5 consecutive castings, it could be tougher than Adamantine.
    Mm. I believe getting an I typed bonus from the same source gets iffy. I don't have a book on me but this sounds like one of those things covered by the 'don't let your players bank on technicalities' rules.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    There's a spell somewhere that bumps hardness and hp, but I think the spell compendium one overwrites it.

Mm. I believe getting an I typed bonus from the same source gets iffy. I don't have a book on me but this sounds like one of those things covered by the 'don't let your players bank on technicalities' rules.
    Meh, it's not that bad a thing. Even applied to objects of importance, it's not that good, as a lot of things bypass hardness altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks everyone for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Crystal of Adamant Armor from MiC Pg 24. Just note that worn armor can't be sundered, so this shouldn't come up often, if ever
    I am a very cautious player about odd things at times. It is quite funny when my DM throws something completely unexpected at us that i can just ignore because i am totally prepared for it.

Also, i like the crystal. It is simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevershutup View Post
    Might be a good spell to get a scroll for or pay a wizard to cast.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyphoenixx View Post
    Matter Manipulation (Psion 8) can increase hardness by up to 5 and is instantaneous. It also increases HP.
    Follow that up with Augment Object (Clr, Drd, Wiz 3) from the Stronghold Builders Guidebook to double hardness and HP for 1day/level
    not likely to use matter manipulation because i generally don't like psionics but i will keep it in mind. The spell is something that i'm more likely to use, maybe get an eternal wand at a higher level.

The psion thing does not stack with itself. Since it is that same source it doesn't matter if the bonus is untyped you only benefit from the strongest version on the object.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Dwarfcraft template (Races of Stone) can increase HP/hardness, but I don't recall if it can be combined with feycraft. A half-fey dwarf could probably do it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Meh, it's not that bad a thing. Even applied to objects of importance, it's not that good, as a lot of things bypass hardness altogether.
    It's a matter of verisimilitude. There's a reason things harder than Adamantine are rare. There's a reason making things harder than Adamantine magically is rare. If we get into this weird "everything past this point ignores hardness of everything below this point" generalizations then why is Adamantine a thing? It's less like some mythic metal and more like bronze weaponry. Hard and sharp and only inferior to steel due to ease of fabrication.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Dwarfcraft template (Races of Stone) can increase HP/hardness, but I don't recall if it can be combined with feycraft. A half-fey dwarf could probably do it.
    A fey dwarf or a dwarf helping a fey can.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post

The psion thing does not stack with itself. Since it is that same source it doesn't matter if the bonus is untyped you only benefit from the strongest version on the object.
    I don't think it's a bonus in the sense the stacking limits care about, but that's a huge can of worms argument. It is unambiguously Instantaneous duration, however, so multiple effects never enters into consideration at all. There are never multiple Matter Manipulations operating on the item. You just change the objects' hardness and then you change it again.

Now, I personally think the intent of the power is to cap at +5 regardless, but I don't think an adequately compelling RAW argument can be made for that. (I would also make it lower level and remove the XP cost, because it's stupidly expensive for what it does.)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

On the contrary, given that it's permanent and stackable, some measure of mitigation is good. Adamantine and obdurium have a clause saying that weapons made of them ignore the hardness of any material with lower hardness than their own.

After three six castings and and a minor enchantment, an Adamantine weapon can cut artifacts in half. You know, the lost ancient metal of the illithids? That's crazy. A literally unstoppable weapon is something that deserves a cost, even if it's so far not necessary to ever have more than adamantine' sown numbers.

Magic items gain one hardness and five hit points per plus of enchantment. That might also be helpful. +5 armor has +5 hardness and +25 hit points.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Sure, a half-fey dwarf could use both templates, paid for individually, but the dwarfcraft template can only be added to metal or stone items, not shadow silk.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    I don't think it's a bonus in the sense the stacking limits care about, but that's a huge can of worms argument. It is unambiguously Instantaneous duration, however, so multiple effects never enters into consideration at all. There are never multiple Matter Manipulations operating on the item. You just change the objects' hardness and then you change it again.

Now, I personally think the intent of the power is to cap at +5 regardless, but I don't think an adequately compelling RAW argument can be made for that. (I would also make it lower level and remove the XP cost, because it's stupidly expensive for what it does.)
    i know it's been a few days since i last checked and the thread is pretty much over but i want to consider something. i didn't realize it was instantaneous, that definitely makes it more complicated. I think the RAW is ambiguous. it does not clearly define whether the original hardness is the hardness of the object right before manifestation or whether it is the base hardness of the object.

Current avatar by me

18. - Top - End - #18

ElfPirate

From the SRD

"You can increase or decrease an object’s hardness by up to 5 from its original hardness"..."Even hardening adamantine to 25 is possible."
    Hmm, seem to have left the last letter out of my name I wonder if I can change that somehow...

Vestige by Marlowe http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...2&postcount=70

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlek Flamehai View Post
    From the SRD

"You can increase or decrease an object’s hardness by up to 5 from its original hardness"..."Even hardening adamantine to 25 is possible."
    The d20srd dot org website includes non system reference document material, though, doesn't it?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Doesn't shadow silk self-repair when in shadowy areas?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Doesn't shadow silk self-repair when in shadowy areas?
    It does repair but only if it wasn't reduced to 0 hp. The issue starts with mundane feycraft shadow silk hide as 1 hp and 0 hardness. thankfully making it +1 already helps a lot as each armor enhancement bonus point adds 2 hardness and 10 hp.

Current avatar by me

22. - Top - End - #22

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    The d20srd dot org website includes non system reference document material, though, doesn't it?
    http://www.d20srd.org/faq.htm

"This site currently contains content from all sourcebooks published by Wizards of the Coast that contain open content. This includes open content from the following books published in the official d20 SRD:

Player's Handbook
    Dungeon Master's Guide
    Monster Manual
    Epic Level Handbook
    Deities and Demigods
    Expanded Psionics Handbook
    In addition, the following open game content has also been included:

Razor Boar and Scorpionfolk from Monster Manual II
    "Variant Rules" from Unearthed Arcana"

While the website does not say it, it appears that most of the Errata for the above source material has been applied too.

Another "SRD" website, the D&D Wiki is a badly organized, IMO, compilation of OGL and homebrew material. Making it difficult to browse for RAW only information.
    Hmm, seem to have left the last letter out of my name I wonder if I can change that somehow...

Vestige by Marlowe http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...2&postcount=70

23. - Top - End - #23

Devil

as for the "same source untyped bonus", it most certainly does stack. inherent bonuses from wish stack, so why wouldnt that?
    i apologize in advance for being wrong, im not quite there yet!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by geekintheground View Post
    as for the "same source untyped bonus", it most certainly does stack. inherent bonuses from wish stack, so why wouldnt that?
    Inherent bonuses aren't untyped. Their inherent. They also explicitly mention that they stack up to +5, and specific trumps general.
    That doesn't mean other bonuses act the same way, and it doesn't turn inherent bonuses into an argument why they should.

25. - Top - End - #25

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyphoenixx View Post
    Inherent bonuses aren't untyped. Their inherent. They also explicitly mention that they stack up to +5, and specific trumps general.
    That doesn't mean other bonuses act the same way, and it doesn't turn inherent bonuses into an argument why they should.
    wow, major mis-remember on my part. sorry about that... i forgot wish specifically called out its stacking. my thoughts were "if these typed bonuses stack in this situation, certainly UNTYPED would stack in a similar situation". thatll teach me to post before double checking my memory XD
    i apologize in advance for being wrong, im not quite there yet!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

wow, major mis-remember on my part. sorry about that... i forgot wish specifically called out its stacking. my thoughts were "if these typed bonuses stack in this situation, certainly UNTYPED would stack in a similar situation". thatll teach me to post before double checking my memory XD
    All good.

I think it's something that should be decided game to game, myself.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Dwarfcraft, unlike githcraft or feycraft, doesn't require anything on the part of the creator, IIRC. Feycraft requires being fey or training from fey, IIRC, and the same goes for githcraft. So, y'know, a fey that was enslaved by the gith at one point or worked for them and then left their service would be able to do both, technically, possibly even on the same item

As mentioned though, dwarfcraft is limited in what items it can be applied to rather than who or what the creator may be..
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Inherent bonuses don't stack, anyway. They just have a special rule that allows you to get a single large inherent bonus, instead of a small one. That is to say, you're not using a Wish for a +1 bonus, and then using another Wish for another +1 bonus: You're using two Wishes to get a +2 bonus.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

29. - Top - End - #29

Double checking those numbers, this whole thread was in error. Feycrafted shadowsilk armor has 5 hp & a hardness of 1, not 1 hp & hardness 5. It's 10 hp hardness 1 for shadowsilk, and the template reduces hp by only 5, and while it lowers hardness by 1, it has a minimum 1, not 0. Still kinda fragile, but not about to be shredded by a stiff wind anymore.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Inherent bonuses don't stack, anyway. They just have a special rule that allows you to get a single large inherent bonus, instead of a small one. That is to say, you're not using a Wish for a +1 bonus, and then using another Wish for another +1 bonus: You're using two Wishes to get a +2 bonus.
    Wish has that restriction, but Miracle does not: you can use Miracle to ask to have your inherent bonus increased from +1 to +2. These two spells are mostly (not exactly) equivalent in capabilities. Either one can be used to create a Manual or Tome which will grant inherent bonuses.