New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XIII - Comic As Written, not Comic As Intended

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    One of Haley's wands is Magic Missle as per 973.
    And the Giant has confirmed that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    It's a Magic Missile.
    Jon Snow and Ghost avatar (not currently in use) by Gurgleflep 15370262 328.
    How to play a monster.

I am currently Very Busy, and having limited D&D activity, so I am currently inactive.
    I got a long signature!
    DFTBA! Smilies!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XIII - Comic As Written, not Comic As Intended

Does 973 mean that Haley has the Far Shot feat?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

The maximum range of a bow is ridiculously far (you just have a big penalty to your to-hit, but you can shoot an arrow 1000 feet). I think the point of the scene is just to demonstrate that she is not recovering those arrows, not that she is shooting the arrows very far anyway.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Does 973 mean that Haley has the Far Shot feat?
    If we can prove that it went over 1000'

5. - Top - End - #125

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The maximum range of a bow is ridiculously far (you just have a big penalty to your to-hit, but you can shoot an arrow 1000 feet).
    Unless you're using a better bow. A composite longbow can hit 1100 feet.
    Speaking of composite bows, how do we know Haley's bow isn't? Or do we?
    If we don't, maybe that should be noted? (i.e. "+5 Icy Burst (Composite?) Longbow")

(For reference: Ranged weapons have a stacking -2 penalty to attack rolls for each range increment beyond the first. Projectile weapons have a maximum range of 10 range increments. The range increment of a normal longbow is 100 feet.)

I think the point of the scene is just to demonstrate that she is not recovering those arrows, not that she is shooting the arrows very far anyway.
    Yep. Isn't it possible that they were right next to the ocean, anyway? Three panels could be as little as 3 meters.

EDIT:
    Looking at Haley's statblock, I've noticed a few things.
    1. Shouldn't her bow be listed as "+5 Icy Burst Longbow"? "+5 Longbow of Icy Burst" just feels wrong (and isn't how the SRD does it).
    2. There is no citation for her having feats instead of rogue special abilities.
    Last edited by Zweisteine; 2015-01-22 at 07:45 PM.
    Jon Snow and Ghost avatar (not currently in use) by Gurgleflep 15370262 328.
    How to play a monster.

I am currently Very Busy, and having limited D&D activity, so I am currently inactive.
    I got a long signature!
    DFTBA! Smilies!

6. - Top - End - #126

BardGuy

Do you think The Giant put those Adamantine arrows in there just to toll this thread?

"Ok, there was never any indication she had these but now she did but now she doesn't. Take that, Class and Level Geekery thread!"
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Do you think The Giant put those Adamantine arrows in there just to toll this thread?

"Ok, there was never any indication she had these but now she did but now she doesn't. Take that, Class and Level Geekery thread!"
    It strikes me as the classic "Now she solved the problem...No, she didn't." situation. On the other hand, the Giant has proven himself capable of exploring tiny details, so maybe that's not the last time we saw those arrows...

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Haley has feats instead of rogue abilities because she has too many feats otherwise.

Honestly, I'd almost think she had a ranger dip, if it weren't for panel 5 of 518. It would account for her using a longbow instead of a shortbow (why would anyone ever spend a feat just for that?), and it'd also give her Rapid Shot for free, easing her feat situation further.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Haley has feats instead of rogue abilities because she has too many feats otherwise.

Honestly, I'd almost think she had a ranger dip, if it weren't for panel 5 of 518. It would account for her using a longbow instead of a shortbow (why would anyone ever spend a feat just for that?), and it'd also give her Rapid Shot for free, easing her feat situation further.
    She suggests that she should...perhaps next level she did... especially since she hasn't gotten to fight an airborn tramp since, since she was stone in the the Empire of Blood battle, and Sabine got banished in the Pyramid battle.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2015-01-23 at 11:06 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

10. - Top - End - #130

What is the difference between standard arrows and adamantine arrows? +1 to hit?

Haley shot 4 arrows in previous page, those hit.
    Here she shot 3 arrows, those miss.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    What is the difference between standard arrows and adamantine arrows? +1 to hit?

Haley shot 4 arrows in previous page, those hit.
    Here she shot 3 arrows, those miss.
    Adamentine arrows have +1 to hit, but they also bypass the DR of many creatures, like Golems. Not devils (or demons) though, so not sure why Haley had them for Sabine.

Although I've had DM's who let Adamantine count when overcoming DR/adamantine, DR/silver or DR/cold iron, so this perhaps might be the case, but I'm pretty positive that's a houserule.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-01-23 at 01:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Adamentine arrows have +1 to hit, but they also bypass the DR of many creatures, like Golems. Not devils though, so not sure why Haley had them for Sabine.

Although I've had DM's who let Adamantine count when overcoming DR/adamantine, DR/silver or DR/cold iron, so this perhaps might be the case, but I'm pretty positive that's a houserule.
    Sabine's a succubus. Demon, not devil.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #133

MindFlayer

Not devils (or demons) though, so not sure why Haley had them for Sabine.
    Haley probably has a bunch of every kind of arrow they make at this point, hoping to figure out which metal works on her.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    And? You can use your rogue abilities to get bonus feats. In core, no less.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    There's no point beyond what he explicitly stated. He was replying to

Quote Originally Posted by Zweisteine
    2. There is no citation for her having feats instead of rogue special abilities.

from above.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2015-01-23 at 04:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    That's the complaint Chronos was responding to - that Haley was noted as having taken free feats rather than (specified) rogue bonus abilities, and this was uncited. Chronos cited the number of feats as a reason why she must have chosen to spend her rogue abilities on bonus feats.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

17. - Top - End - #137
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Adamentine arrows have +1 to hit, but they also bypass the DR of many creatures, like Golems. Not devils (or demons) though, so not sure why Haley had them for Sabine.

Haley has no ranks in Knowledge (The Planes) and therefore has no idea what type of metal to use against Sabine. She previously used Manyshot to just fire both silver and cold iron at Sabine at the same time. Then in a later battle with Sabine, she stabbed her with both types of arrows. But in each case, she never actually figured out what was effective. So the most likely explanation is Haley is using guesswork, and simply hoping adamantine would work against Sabine, because she's never been established in the comic as actually knowing for sure what the best way is to bypass Sabine's DR.

Just because we know it wouldn't work doesn't mean Haley would know before she tried.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

One of Haley's wands is Magic Missle as per 973.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zweisteine View Post
    And the Giant has confirmed that.
    It also appears to be a wand of magic missiles with a caster level of 5 (see Table: Wands). Otherwise, it would not have created three missiles.

One data point probably isn't enough for this, but would Haley have only purchased a wand with that low of a caster level to avoid the sort of mishap she had in panel 5 of #970?
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2015-01-25 at 03:03 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Wouldn't adding the word 'Quickened' to the spell slow down the casting of the spell by a few microseconds? :P

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Wouldn't adding the word 'Quickened' to the spell slow down the casting of the spell by a few microseconds? :P
    No. Magic.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    It also appears to be a wand of magic missiles with a caster level of 5 (see Table: Wands). Otherwise, it would not have created three missiles.

One data point probably isn't enough for this, but would Haley have only purchased a wand with that low of a caster level to avoid the sort of mishap she had in panel 5 of #970?
    Level 5 is the lowest level caster capable of making a wand, so it's not surprising that it's caster level 5.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Added MM wand to Haley, fixed link for Bounding Attack, changed wording of Icy Burst longbow, added explanation why Haley spent her abilities on feats.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    Wands all have the same Use Magic Device DC regardless of caster level.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    You should see that differently. When you don't quicken the spell, you can't cast another one before 6 seconds (next round). During this delay, you can say the words, you won't cast a spell or do something else. Let say that you are mentally exhausted or whatever.

But with some exceptions, like quickening a spell. In this case, you don't have the "global cooldown" that you should have on your other spells or actions and you can do something else.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    You should see that differently. When you don't quicken the spell, you can't cast another one before 6 seconds (next round). During this delay, you can say the words, you won't cast a spell or do something else. Let say that you are mentally exhausted or whatever.
    In regular D&D, that is a good explanation. In OotS, you don't need one. Magic is just a bitch that way: see V's despair at having to give the magic word: kill 6 pages of "alone" space in her spell book. And Xykon only being able to craft magic items for 8 hours a day, even though he doesn't sleep. Equally, quickened takes longer to say, but shorter to cast, because.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    In regular D&D, that is a good explanation. In OotS, you don't need one. Magic is just a bitch that way: see V's despair at having to give the magic word: kill 6 pages of "alone" space in her spell book. And Xykon only being able to craft magic items for 8 hours a day, even though he doesn't sleep. Equally, quickened takes longer to say, but shorter to cast, because.

Grey Wolf
    I know you know that, but maybe it's not clear to everyone.
    The purpose of a quickening is not that the fireball will be thrown faster at it's target (I think the quickened dimensional anchor against Qarr was before I first played D&D and I thought the choice to quicken the spell was due to Qarr being quick and agile), it's that without the quickening, there would be only one (spell per round). Or one full action at least.

You don't see much it in oots, but casting a spell is not about just shouting it's name.
    For instance, when V casts a fireball, s/he requires :
    - Vocal components (incantation, or in oots, telling the spell's name)
    - Somatic components (a precise hand gesture)
    - Material components (in the case of Fireball, bat guano and sulfur)

This is why V says "I love the smell of bat guano in the morning." (also reference to Apocalypse Now) and why Redcloak taunts Tsukiko in #830 about the few spells she can casts while being grapled. Or why V can't use most of hir spell when polymorphed in a lizard.

This is also why O'Chul says "no more spells." when taking RC's holy symbol, which is required for most cleric spells (but Word of Recall does not require it).

Now, to quicken a spell still requires components. I don't think rules says why and how you can go faster, I guess you can interpret it as you want.
    Maybe a quickened spell requires a shorter incantation, maybe the components are summoned in your hand instead of having to take them in the adequate pouch, maybe the hand gesture is not the same.

I totally failed my pun about Highlander, can't find any better :(
    Last edited by Quild; 2015-01-26 at 12:15 PM.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

27. - Top - End - #147

BardGuy

I always felt that a Quickened spell had all of its components taken care of before hand and that's why it was faster. You'd say the words, do the gestures, and burn the materials and then hold the charge until later so you're just releasing the spell.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Equally, quickened takes longer to say, but shorter to cast, because.

Grey Wolf
    It sounded like you're saying "shorter to cast because Grey Wolf made it so"
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-01-26 at 04:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

It sounded like you're saying "shorter to cast because Grey Wolf made it so"
    Well, that's the rationale I give in my games. For a great many things.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

When you give that explanation, do the other players ever ask you who Grey Wolf is?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics