New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: The Legend of Korra, Book 5: It's canon. Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Eh, at the of the day, that doesn't really make much difference.
    You're being very lenient in what you like then. Because it is extremly sloppy writing if we don't take the meta-context of the writers being screwed around by Nick.
    The cut episode was probably where Dark Korra was going to be definitively addressed (wild guess).

You mean like her blatantly taking the position that territories that have no need of her help must surrender to her unconditionally or she'll take them by force? Yeah, she does that twice. Or how about her threatening the life of someone who looks like he's not going to blindly obey her? See Varrick. Or her being so hell-bent on conquering a place she has no claim to that she was going to kill her second-in-command and fiancé in order to eliminate the last resistance to her?
    even then it's not that much after her threat to leave those people bound to the train tracks if they didn't pledge loyalty to her.
    (1) That district/province/kingdom was starving all on its own without Kuvira. I agree she sent a reformed bandit to sabotage the Airbenders' aid mission, but I can see why she did it in terms of the big picture. Piecemeal aid dependent on another separated province is not a long-term solution; it only allowed the province chief/governor to continue being stubborn in the short term.
    (2) Varrick... right, the criminal who incited civil war for profits, and conducted terrorist actions in a neutral city-state in order to further incite said civil war. Who escaped from prison and everyone conveniently forgot that he's a terrorist black market arms dealer. Because he's funny.
    (3) I would've killed my fiance too. No negotiating with an enemy who blatantly violated a truce talk, on the eve of the most critical battle of the reunification war. If he died, his death was on their hands.
    (4) She gave them a choice to reform. IRL, they would've been executed right then.

you'd miss a whole lot in any of the books. Or in most television shows in general, for that matter. That's not a good metric for judging anything.
    So if I was deaf, what would I have seen?

(1) Province starving. Governor resisting a pledge to re-unify under the lawfully-tasked general. Yeah, ok. I would be wondering if the governor is feeding himself well.
    (2) Varrick. I would be wondering why he's not in jail or executed. I'd be guessing Kuvira is giving him a chance, but on a short leash.
    (3) The good guys violate truce talks. Again. Yeah.
    (4) Even without hearing it, I'd know she's strong-arming bandits to reform. Bandits trying to rob supply trains whose supplies she eventually doled out to starving countryfolk.

See, I'd miss out on hearing about how evil Kuvira is, including herself telling the viewers how evil she is. But I would be seeing all the things I would laud a military hero for, conducting herself in a desperate time for her nation.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    You're being very lenient in what you like then. Because it is extremly sloppy writing if we don't take the meta-context of the writers being screwed around by Nick.
    The cut episode was probably where Dark Korra was going to be definitively addressed (wild guess).
    Possible - but we have that knowledge of why the one episode was cut. And even so, the story still turned out pretty well on the whole. The "dark Korra" comes across just fine as merely one element of Korra's PTSD.

(1) That district/province/kingdom was starving all on its own without Kuvira. I agree she sent a reformed bandit to sabotage the Airbenders' aid mission, but I can see why she did it in terms of the big picture. Piecemeal aid dependent on another separated province is not a long-term solution; it only allowed the province chief/governor to continue being stubborn in the short term.
    I was not referring to the province we see her take over in the first episode (and I don't recall us being given any indication that the bandit who sabotaged the Airbenders' mission was sent by her, actually). I was referring to Zaofu and Republic City. Or rather, we should say the United Republic with the latter, since the city alone wasn't her goal. In that case she was outright starting a war with another country, on the sole basis that it used to be Earth Kingdom territory decades ago - over a century ago if you count the time it spent as Fire Nation colonies. She has no excuse for her actions in either of those instances, and she doesn't even really try to hide it. At Zaofu she delivers her "surrender or be conquered" ultimatum the moment Suyin makes it clear that Bolin isn't going to convince her to join, and with the United Republic she doesn't even pretend to try a peaceful approach.

(2) Varrick... right, the criminal who incited civil war for profits, and conducted terrorist actions in a neutral city-state in order to further incite said civil war. Who escaped from prison and everyone conveniently forgot that he's a terrorist black market arms dealer. Because he's funny.
    None of which makes threatening his life for refusing to build her a superweapon any less evil.

(3) I would've killed my fiance too.
    I cannot say what I would like to to that without this discussion becoming very unpleasant.

(4) She gave them a choice to reform. IRL, they would've been executed right then.
    Not by anyone decent.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #243
    Colossus in the Playground

See, I'd miss out on hearing about how evil Kuvira is, including herself telling the viewers how evil she is. But I would be seeing all the things I would laud a military hero for, conducting herself in a desperate time for her nation.
    Then you'd be the only person surprised when she crushes the medal Wu gives her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

At Zaofu she delivers her "surrender or be conquered" ultimatum the moment Suyin makes it clear that Bolin isn't going to convince her to join, and with the United Republic she doesn't even pretend to try a peaceful approach.
    Zaofu is part of the EK. It doesn't get to secede and declare independence just because the ruler got assassinated. That's really it. Do you really think Suyin is waiting for the fop of a prince to come take over her de facto sovereign city? Sure, her reason for resisting unification under Kuvira is "She's a tyrant!" She can say that for anybody she doesn't like.
    "This one is illegitimate!"
    "That one is unworthy!"
    "That other one is propped up by outside interests!"
    Bottom line, her city has been de facto sovereign and she likes it that way. Uh too bad lady, Zaofu is part of the EK, always has been. I have a very dim opinion of Suyin and nothing leads me to believe this isn't her thought process.

As for UR, I've got no easy answer for that. Aang made a terrible mistake when he gave it permanent sovereignty. For the sake of short-term moral comfort, he marked the city as a emotional and political powderkeg and assured long-term strife.

None of which makes threatening his life for refusing to build her a superweapon any less evil.
    The guy is a criminal who should have gotten the chair. I would certainly not hold it against her if she doesn't like his face, sees no need to respect him, and holds him on an extremely short leash.
    And, if you're developing military tech for the gov't, you don't get to break your contract near the end and take all the data with you. The military is not evil for court martialing you at that point.

I cannot say what I would like to to that without this discussion becoming very unpleasant.
    War is war. If a commander is not ready to put her friends and family in the same position she puts the soldiers under her command, then she doesn't deserve her soldiers' loyalty.
    Kuvira's strike on the UR is a blitzkrieg. She was counting on, and got, the advantage of complete surprise. If she faffs about at this point for 1 man, she puts her entire war effort in jeopardy as foreign powers race in to interfere. Not only does that endanger all soldiers under her command, if she backs off now it means all soldiers who had died for her thus far has been for nothing.

Not by anyone decent.
    Right... bandits in a wartorn country robbing a military train should not be executed when caught red-handed and resisting...
    Kuvira is downright humanitarian for giving them a choice. Or do you wish to say that while you're watching that episode you immediately felt she was evil for her treatment of hardened criminals? (Ofc meta-wise we all knew she was the villain before the season even started.)

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Then you'd be the only person surprised when she crushes the medal Wu gives her.
    I wasn't surprised as much as I was smiling. Finally an Asian hero who wasn't brought to an ignominious end due to blind loyalty to an unworthy ruler.

Summary: I know Kuvira is the villain. She's got concentration camps, she beats up our heroes, she's starting a war, and all the soldiers look like WW1 Germans in gas masks. But AFAIC, once again the writers decided to play around with a complex topic they had no intention of being serious with. So they just throw in stock Evil Overlord tropes to make her wrong, and that just pisses me off and make me stew in my own fridge logic.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Barbarian in the Playground

Curiously how does one become a lava bender? Can most learn it like metal bending? Or would we chalk it up to the genetics of Mako and Bolin being from a mixed bending parentage?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowscale View Post
    Curiously how does one become a lava bender? Can most learn it like metal bending? Or would we chalk it up to the genetics of Mako and Bolin being from a mixed bending parentage?
    We could also say that Combustion Power is a bending specialty which mixes Air and Fire.
    I think lavabending can only be done by special ppl who can channel Earth and Fire at the same time, though probably never either element alone.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Book 2's main problem is WTFspirits. According to Morty he still doesn't know WTFspirits, even now after the series is over. If the studio had more episodes...
    ...at least half of them would have been filled with Mako and Korra yelling at each other, Korra yelling at other people, Water Tribe politics and Unalaq's puppy-kicking extravaganza. The other half might have given us some context for the Spirit World, if we were lucky.

Well, we have had two non-bender villains - Ty Lee and Mai. Main villain though? Maybe not. If nothing else it does significantly limit their options for action scenes to have a non-bender villain when the main character is the most powerful bender in the world by default, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were hesitant to do that.
    If that was their concern, then they really didn't understand their own story premise, and should never have tried. Of course, we'll never know.

Mind you, Amon's super-bloodbending caused another problem, namely that it made him effectively unstoppable. It took Korra's sudden True Love-induced airbending - I'll keep referring to it as such, since there's nothing in the show to contradict me - and contrived circumstances to defeat him.

It's probably just a talent some people have and others don't. The genetics of bending are vague at bst.
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-02-16 at 06:51 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #248

How do people bend in the spirit world in this show, I thought the original series said that couldn't be a thing?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

If you enter the spirit world physically, through a portal, you can bend there. If you do it through meditation, you can't.

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
    If you enter the spirit world physically, through a portal, you can bend there. If you do it through meditation, you can't.
    Got it.

To another point. Boomi was my favorite legend of korra character, but it seems the more I saw of him the worse he got. Becoming a bender really robbed him of a lot of the credibility he had as the eldest child with lots of military experience and having to adapt to not having superpowers with insane tactical fortitude. All in and all, I'm really disappointment in his lack of character. Heck I wish I could of seen more of Iroh junior and Zuko's daughter.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Bumi Junior is a hilariously bad character. He was worse than useless in Book Two, since the writers decided non-benders can't do anything to spirits and he's a complete idiot anyway. Then he received airbending. This in itself is fine, but the implication is that, yes, he did need airbending to be worthy of calling himself Aang's son. The show basically reinforced his initial insecurity as true and correct.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Bumi Junior is a hilariously bad character. He was worse than useless in Book Two, since the writers decided non-benders can't do anything to spirits and he's a complete idiot anyway. Then he received airbending. This in itself is fine, but the implication is that, yes, he did need airbending to be worthy of calling himself Aang's son. The show basically reinforced his initial insecurity as true and correct.
    With the small tease of him at the end of book 1 I had such high hopes for him. You'd think without bending it'd cause him to compensate by being a mad genius and show that he earned his rank of general in the united forces. Then for him to be reduced to comic relief and to "troll" airbending training. He doesn't even seem to be the oldest sibling, I always liked the nonbenders like Asami, equalists, and Sokka. Why was he approaches so horribly is what I'd like to know. Heck even with airbending he could of been decent, but they blew it and I'll never understand why.

For some reason he was made into the Jar Jar of TLOK
    Last edited by Shadowscale; 2015-02-16 at 07:35 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Zaofu is part of the EK. It doesn't get to secede and declare independence just because the ruler got assassinated. That's really it. Do you really think Suyin is waiting for the fop of a prince to come take over her de facto sovereign city? Sure, her reason for resisting unification under Kuvira is "She's a tyrant!" She can say that for anybody she doesn't like.
    "This one is illegitimate!"
    "That one is unworthy!"
    "That other one is propped up by outside interests!"
    Bottom line, her city has been de facto sovereign and she likes it that way. Uh too bad lady, Zaofu is part of the EK, always has been. I have a very dim opinion of Suyin and nothing leads me to believe this isn't her thought process.

As for UR, I've got no easy answer for that. Aang made a terrible mistake when he gave it permanent sovereignty. For the sake of short-term moral comfort, he marked the city as a emotional and political powderkeg and assured long-term strife.
    Because not supporting an iron-fisted ambitious person whom you've known for years and can tell whether or not she'd be a good ruler is somehow wrong [/end sarcasm]

Because creating a way for four cultures to unite in trade and mix so that the conflicts that plagued them for thousands of years is somehow a bad decision [/end sarcasm]

The guy is a criminal who should have gotten the chair. I would certainly not hold it against her if she doesn't like his face, sees no need to respect him, and holds him on an extremely short leash.
    And, if you're developing military tech for the gov't, you don't get to break your contract near the end and take all the data with you. The military is not evil for court martialing you at that point.
    an illegitimate government not recognized by the other nations. developing a very powerful weapon that is literally powered by screwing up spirit energy. in a world where not respecting the spirits is Very Bad Mojo.

War is war. If a commander is not ready to put her friends and family in the same position she puts the soldiers under her command, then she doesn't deserve her soldiers' loyalty.
    Kuvira's strike on the UR is a blitzkrieg. She was counting on, and got, the advantage of complete surprise. If she faffs about at this point for 1 man, she puts her entire war effort in jeopardy as foreign powers race in to interfere. Not only does that endanger all soldiers under her command, if she backs off now it means all soldiers who had died for her thus far has been for nothing.
    War that she herself declared. That wasn't necessary. That she did anyways, because she couldn't admit that she went overboard or gone too far.

Right... bandits in a wartorn country robbing a military train should not be executed when caught red-handed and resisting...
    Kuvira is downright humanitarian for giving them a choice. Or do you wish to say that while you're watching that episode you immediately felt she was evil for her treatment of hardened criminals? (Ofc meta-wise we all knew she was the villain before the season even started.)
    So she has one good point, so what? everyone does, even dictators, doesn't change that everything else she did is well, bad.

I wasn't surprised as much as I was smiling. Finally an Asian hero who wasn't brought to an ignominious end due to blind loyalty to an unworthy ruler.
    Sorry, you seem to have made a few mistakes in that sentence. the first is "Asian": Kuvira is Earth Kingdom and made by people in Western Countries, she is nowhere near Asian. "Hero" is your second one in that she is a villain, the closest possible "asian hero" you could be referring to, to be similar to Kuvira is Qin Shi Huang, the emperor who united China, and is also the guy who enforced iron hard law, burned books, banned all other schools of thought, killed scholars just for owning books, and then died ten years into his rule because he ingested mercury in trying to become immortal after evading three assassinations, and is only seen as a hero today because of propaganda. so Kuvira is not anything new, she is in fact a legalistic tyrant, a philosophy older than the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Summary: I know Kuvira is the villain. She's got concentration camps, she beats up our heroes, she's starting a war, and all the soldiers look like WW1 Germans in gas masks. But AFAIC, once again the writers decided to play around with a complex topic they had no intention of being serious with. So they just throw in stock Evil Overlord tropes to make her wrong, and that just pisses me off and make me stew in my own fridge logic.
    Because all revolutions are clean and result in a better system than the one before it, of which there are no examples of people like Kuvira and the acts she did happening in real life! [/end sarcasm] *COUGH*StalinHitlerMussoliniMaoZhedong*COUGH*Those arejustthefamousones*COUGH*

thing is about "stock evil overlord" tropes is that they're stock for a reason. they may look cartoonish and puppy-kickingly evil, until you look at real life and actually see it happen, but I won't go into specifics on that, thats politics.

Summary:
    Kuvira is a legalist iron-fisted over-confident, stubborn poster child for why philosophies like Amon and Zahir arose in the first place, who dug herself into this hole through her own decisions because she was given, multiple times, a chance to turn back and just let things go peacefully and NOT stir up a war where more people die because of her own ambitions and stubborn pride, but she didn't because that would be giving up the power she had acquired, which she just couldn't stand. when y'know, she could've voiced her problems with the UR's solution WITHOUT deciding to resort to force, could've just let the food be delivered and not make herself the sole provider of such supplies by taking them and thus making herself a monopoly, could've worked out an agreement, the UR leaders are reasonable people and she is the one who has been doing this work for them for about three years so, she should have enough clout to have her concerns addressed in a legit manner....But nope. she chose force. thats all on her.

and you seem to have this weird misconception that "complex issues" means that the antagonist in question is somehow an inherently good person or something, when if they were, there would be no complex issues, because there would be no issues if Kuvira didn't do the things you dislike her doing. your criticizing them for giving you exactly what you wanted, because whatever version of Kuvira you think would be a better antagonist, would just be a white-washed artificial thing that doesn't reflect the reality of such situations, as shown by the history of.....everything.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Because not supporting an iron-fisted ambitious person whom you've known for years and can tell whether or not she'd be a good ruler is somehow wrong [/end sarcasm]

Because creating a way for four cultures to unite in trade and mix so that the conflicts that plagued them for thousands of years is somehow a bad decision [/end sarcasm]

an illegitimate government not recognized by the other nations. developing a very powerful weapon that is literally powered by screwing up spirit energy. in a world where not respecting the spirits is Very Bad Mojo.

War that she herself declared. That wasn't necessary. That she did anyways, because she couldn't admit that she went overboard or gone too far.

So she has one good point, so what? everyone does, even dictators, doesn't change that everything else she did is well, bad.

Sorry, you seem to have made a few mistakes in that sentence. the first is "Asian": Kuvira is Earth Kingdom and made by people in Western Countries, she is nowhere near Asian. "Hero" is your second one in that she is a villain, the closest possible "asian hero" you could be referring to, to be similar to Kuvira is Qin Shi Huang, the emperor who united China, and is also the guy who enforced iron hard law, burned books, banned all other schools of thought, killed scholars just for owning books, and then died ten years into his rule because he ingested mercury in trying to become immortal after evading three assassinations, and is only seen as a hero today because of propaganda. so Kuvira is not anything new, she is in fact a legalistic tyrant, a philosophy older than the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Because all revolutions are clean and result in a better system than the one before it, of which there are no examples of people like Kuvira and the acts she did happening in real life! [/end sarcasm] *COUGH*StalinHitlerMussoliniMaoZhedong*COUGH*Those arejustthefamousones*COUGH*

thing is about "stock evil overlord" tropes is that they're stock for a reason. they may look cartoonish and puppy-kickingly evil, until you look at real life and actually see it happen, but I won't go into specifics on that, thats politics.

Summary:
    Kuvira is a legalist iron-fisted over-confident, stubborn poster child for why philosophies like Amon and Zahir arose in the first place, who dug herself into this hole through her own decisions because she was given, multiple times, a chance to turn back and just let things go peacefully and NOT stir up a war where more people die because of her own ambitions and stubborn pride, but she didn't because that would be giving up the power she had acquired, which she just couldn't stand. when y'know, she could've voiced her problems with the UR's solution WITHOUT deciding to resort to force, could've just let the food be delivered and not make herself the sole provider of such supplies by taking them and thus making herself a monopoly, could've worked out an agreement, the UR leaders are reasonable people and she is the one who has been doing this work for them for about three years so, she should have enough clout to have her concerns addressed in a legit manner....But nope. she chose force. thats all on her.

and you seem to have this weird misconception that "complex issues" means that the antagonist in question is somehow an inherently good person or something, when if they were, there would be no complex issues, because there would be no issues if Kuvira didn't do the things you dislike her doing. your criticizing them for giving you exactly what you wanted, because whatever version of Kuvira you think would be a better antagonist, would just be a white-washed artificial thing that doesn't reflect the reality of such situations, as shown by the history of.....everything.
    Pretty much this. Yeah, MLai, you know why people have issues with your stances on this show? This is why. You have claimed you don't want Amon and other villains to be the hero, yet, that flat is not reconcilable with what you keep saying of them. You say that you don't have a vendetta against the protags and that them loosing isn't a major requirement for "Good story." for you, but once again, doesn't add up in light of stuff like this.

Particularly the "I'd kill my Fiancee too." line. Just, just freaking wow, that by itself should cost you the right to complain about Korra threatening that Judge, like, freaking Ever again.
    "I Burn!"

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

With the small tease of him at the end of book 1 I had such high hopes for him. You'd think without bending it'd cause him to compensate by being a mad genius and show that he earned his rank of general in the united forces. Then for him to be reduced to comic relief and to "troll" airbending training. He doesn't even seem to be the oldest sibling, I always liked the nonbenders like Asami, equalists, and Sokka. Why was he approaches so horribly is what I'd like to know. Heck even with airbending he could of been decent, but they blew it and I'll never understand why.

For some reason he was made into the Jar Jar of TLOK
    Both shows have problems with going overboard with their comic relief. Sokka suffered from it in ATLA. In LoK, we have several characters who serve as comic relief, and it gets even worse. It's even more jarring because Bumi clearly has some pretty deep-seated issues with inferiority and inadequacy, but it's played 100% for laughs. And then he's told that yeah, he really wasn't Aang's proper son before he got airbending. It's kind of similar to the way Bolin's disturbing relationship with Eska was laughed off.

Why they decided to limit non-bending competence to Asami after Book One is a mystery to me as well. And it's not like Asami gets a lot of screentime, anyway. The Equalists ended up irrelevant compared to their super-bending boss, but at least they did things prior to that.
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-02-16 at 08:13 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Varrick was actually pretty competent. We can thank him for inventing motion picture Tech, he did technically financially bail out Asami's company, he invented the season 4 spirit weapons, he completely out maneuvered, with very little effort, Kuvira's Fiancee, and he did EMP the Mech Suits while he and Bolin were on the run so they could get the captives away, and in doing so likely saved all there lives. He also was critical to getting Korra and crew out of the south pole in early season 2, and he was kinda trying to prevent circumstances which (Admittedly unknown to him at the time.) were running the very real risk of the end of human kind.

For a support character who wasn't even in an entire season of the show and was only a back ground element in another season, that's not a meager list.
    "I Burn!"

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Summary: and you seem to have this weird misconception that "complex issues" means that the antagonist in question is somehow an inherently good person or something, when if they were, there would be no complex issues, because there would be no issues if Kuvira didn't do the things you dislike her doing. your criticizing them for giving you exactly what you wanted, because whatever version of Kuvira you think would be a better antagonist, would just be a white-washed artificial thing that doesn't reflect the reality of such situations, as shown by the history of.....everything.
    I'm not going to reply to your indiv quips, because they all boil down to the summary based on your preconceptions. Basically, you accept the show as is. The show gives you an evil villain who is a hypocrit or a photocopy of one of our history's fascist dictators, and you take it.

I simply don't want it. We are given a complex world issue, and a character who is enmeshed in it. That is an opportunity AFAIC. An opportunity to have a character who you cannot straight up call a hero or a villain, but who the protags have to stop anyways because that's how the circumstances stack. I prefer that type of antagonist more. I've had my fill of one-sided antagonists after I graduated college (yeah I'm a late bloomer).

Do such ppl exist IRL? Sure. Do they interest me as characters in stories? Not really. I can certainly live with them, but when I see an opportunity for an ambiguous antagonist pop up, I become very disappointed when the opportunity isn't taken. Worse, when the opportunity is intentionally avoided by the writers with "Tell, Don't Show" puppy-kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Pretty much this. Yeah, MLai, you know why people have issues with your stances on this show?
    Yeah, 2 ppl. I'm so ashamed. [/end sarcasm] <-- See how annoying and lame this is, Raziere?
    The fiancee and the judge situations are completely distinct. I've already explained the fiancee situation.

Varrick was actually pretty competent..
    I gotta agree with this; it's factually correct no matter what I think of the character's ethics and the other characters' bizarre forgiveness of them.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

Zaofu is part of the EK. It doesn't get to secede and declare independence just because the ruler got assassinated.
    1) And how exactly would you know that information if you were deaf and not using subtitles?

2) Even if such is the case, pretty much all of the major Earth Kingdom territories were independent, because the "nation" was more of a loose confederacy. Our hypothetical deaf person would be able to tell that from the previous series, where one character is called "King" Bumi and the other is called the "Earth King." Or maybe they wouldn't because they're too much of an idiot to figure out how to get their TV to automatically subtitle what's going on (a function I discovered on my own at 3 years old, by simply going through the menu), in which case it would still look like Kuvira was just taking over a random place because reasons.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not going to reply to your indiv quips, because they all boil down to the summary based on your preconceptions. Basically, you accept the show as is. The show gives you an evil villain who is a hypocrit or a photocopy of one of our history's fascist dictators, and you take it.

I simply don't want it. We are given a complex world issue, and a character who is enmeshed in it. That is an opportunity AFAIC. An opportunity to have a character who you cannot straight up call a hero or a villain, but who the protags have to stop anyways because that's how the circumstances stack. I prefer that type of antagonist more. I've had my fill of one-sided antagonists after I graduated college (yeah I'm a late bloomer).

Do such ppl exist IRL? Sure. Do they interest me as characters in stories? Not really. I can certainly live with them, but when I see an opportunity for an ambiguous antagonist pop up, I become very disappointed when the opportunity isn't taken. Worse, when the opportunity is intentionally avoided by the writers with "Tell, Don't Show" puppy-kicking.

Yeah, 2 ppl. I'm so ashamed. [/end sarcasm] <-- See how annoying and lame this is, Raziere?
    The fiancee and the judge situations are completely distinct. I've already explained the fiancee situation.
    1. Yes I do! Thank you for noticing! I love accepting the world in all its flaws.

2. and? I prefer a lot of things over other things. I'd prefer a lot of better things to happen, but they don't. oh well. better luck next time. can't let it slow me down or let it prevent me from seeing whats good in the world. dwell too much on whats bad and thats all you'll see, which isn't healthy.

3. Life is full of disappointments. accept it and move on.

4. No not really, but I do see how you did it wrong, I mean really you misspelled a word thats not how I do it all, its longer and such, allow me to demonstrate:
    Yes, I totally know all about how they are distinct and will proceed to go back and read the thread because I have so much time on my hands to waste on your weird problems with the show, and I totally wholeheartedly care. [/end sarcasm]

5. really, spending time lamenting on what could-have-beens and what-ifs is fun sometimes, but really don't get obsessed with dwelling on missed opportunities if thats how you see it, especially if you really have no power to make sure that opportunity comes about. even if you had say time travel to go back and let them know of this mistake they made, they probably just consider you some crazy fan and not listen to you, though I doubt that would change much from your current situation.

myself, I live my life by this saying:
    give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
    Courage, for the things I can
    and the wisdom to tell the difference.

all the stuff that happened in LoK? Can't change it! therefore acceptance, therefore serenity. doesn't matter if there are some things that I would do better or change or whatnot-hindsight is 20-20 and its easy to see where something went wrong when its already behind you and nothing can be done about it. foresight however is far trickier and harder to pull off, and I don't expect anyone to be good at that. it all belongs to history now, either I accept it or pointlessly spend rage on it for a long period of time and gain nothing for my troubles. I tried the latter with One Piece, and I learned my lesson- I'm just not going to watch it ever again.

so my honest advice to you is to drop the chip on your shoulder and find a way to be at peace with it, trust me you'll be much happier in the long run if you just let it go.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

I gotta agree with this; it's factually correct no matter what I think of the character's ethics and the other characters' bizarre forgiveness of them.
    Really? I count at least five there dude, might wanna double check that.

And, yes, see, in the judge situation, Korra's the protag, and has a legitimate business doing it as established by the precedent of every Avatar Ever. Kuvira does not have any legitimacy doing her action in question, beyond the same legitimacy any thug on the street with a stolen gun would have, in shooting someone who annoys them for no reason other then annoys them. (That means None, btw, since you are complaining that things must be spelled out so that someone who's not on top of things enough to turn on closed captioning and pay baseline attention to either the captioned or spoken dialog.) Also, you favor Kuvira and Condemn Korra relentlessly for the respective actions.

Which leads us back to "Your idea of "Complex" is the bad guys win, and if it fails to deliver that it's bad." And your hiding behind the fact that the show does have other things you can complain about to keep kicking it for this. (Which honestly in light of how your reacting to British Lich Persona guy over in Ponytheads let's watch, utterly baffles me.)
    "I Burn!"

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Annoying as he is, I suppose Varrick does count as a more-or-less competent non-bender. Especially by LoK's standards. So amend my original statement to "Asami and sometimes Varrick". He and Baatar Jr. are the closest thing we have to non-bending bad guys post-Book One, actually.
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-02-16 at 10:29 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

That depends on if you want to count the Judge, the nasty oppressive people in Wan's flashback, Lin's incompetent detectives, and Season 2 and early 3 Riko (Who's every inch a useless sack of crap who through his own bottomless incompetence is enabling the end of the world and then blaming the Avatar for having the nerve to save it.).
    "I Burn!"

23. - Top - End - #263

Can't forget Hiroshi or Juli either. I'm just saying I wish Bumi was like Sokka from mid season 3 onward, now that would be a balance of comic relief, tactical know how and mad genius.

I can't be the only one who liked and for that matter even remembered Lieutenant though, the mustache guy is my favorite character in the series embodying all the good the equalists stood for.

24. - Top - End - #264

Annoying as he is, I suppose Varrick does count as a more-or-less competent non-bender. Especially by LoK's standards. So amend my original statement to "Asami and sometimes Varrick". He and Baatar Jr. are the closest thing we have to non-bending bad guys post-Book One, actually.
    Varrick is kind of useless, Ju Li is the useful person there.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

I remembered him. Duel tazer charged Escrema sticks was a neat weapons design (Pity they couldn't show him winning with them more often.). Oh, and yeah, the whole bad-guy murdering him on screen the instant he wasn't a useful puppet thing kinda helps cement that there was never anything valid about Amon.
    "I Burn!"

26. - Top - End - #266

I remembered him. Duel tazer charged Escrema sticks was a neat weapons design (Pity they couldn't show him winning with them more often.). Oh, and yeah, the whole bad-guy murdering him on screen the instant he wasn't a useful puppet thing kinda helps cement that there was never anything valid about Amon.
    I like to think of Lieutenant as the physical embodiment of the justice and goodness the equalists embodied as to be fair book one did have a conflict between the benders and non benders, they accelerated it, but it existed regardless.

Varrick is a mad genius though, he contributed in usefulness by being the new Hiroshi.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Can't forget Hiroshi or Juli either. I'm just saying I wish Bumi was like Sokka from mid season 3 onward, now that would be a balance of comic relief, tactical know how and mad genius.
    I did say "post-Book One". Although they amounted to nothing in the end, the Equalists were an antagonist group full of non-benders. I'd put them around the same level as Ozai's minions from ATLA. They were faceless minions of the bending villain, but effective most of the time.

I can't be the only one who liked and for that matter even remembered Lieutenant though, the mustache guy is my favorite character in the series embodying all the good the equalists stood for.
    I liked the guy, and I remember him. His fight against Mako and Bolin is pretty good, and he holds his own against Lin. He'd have defeated her, probably, if Korra hadn't intervened. A shame that everything afterwards is an endless humiliation conga for the poor guy.

I'm not sure where you get the "embodying all the good" part from, though. We know literally nothing about his motivations, except that he didn't like benders and enjoying electrocuting them. Again, just like the entire Equalist movement.

I guess you get one competent non-bending character when you put them two together.
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-02-16 at 11:38 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268

I guess you get one competent non-bending character when you put them two together.
    in bed.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

29. - Top - End - #269

I'd like to think Hiroshi contributed to the end. What I meant is that Lieutenant actually believed fully in Amon's message and wanted to make the world better for the non-benders and make everyone have an equal playing field by getting rid of the "advantaged at birth" benders. Tough luck to him his prophet was a hypocrite who bloodbended him against a wall shed a single tear and moved on.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

He didn't even shed the single tear. He didn't even blink or contemplate it. He just did it and moved on cause, hey, life's cheap if there even the least bit opposed to me.
    "I Burn!"