New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Wizard / Sorcerer Hybrid

Last month we talked about whether I should build a wizard or a sorcerer. Given how unreasonable my stats are, I said "Why not both?" Posting mainly because the board is slow. I'll either take this, or a straight Pyro wizard, to this week's session.

Spoiler: Wizard Sorcerer Hybrid
    Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    WizSorcHybrid, level 6
    Pixie, Sorcerer/Wizard
    Sorcerous Power Option: Sorcerous Power Dexterity
    Eldritch Harlequin (Eldritch Harlequin Benefit)
    Theme: Sarifal Feywarden

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 12, CON 16, DEX 18, INT 22, WIS 16, CHA 22

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 12, CON 16, DEX 18, INT 19, WIS 16, CHA 19

AC: 21 Fort: 16 Ref: 19 Will: 21
    HP: 47 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +14, Bluff +15, Thievery +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +7, Athletics +4, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +6, Heal +6, History +9, Insight +6, Intimidate +9, Nature +10, Perception +6, Religion +9, Stealth +9, Streetwise +9

POWERS
    Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
    Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
    Sarifal Feywarden Utility: Sarifal's Blessing
    Pixie Utility: Pixie Dust
    Pixie Utility: Shrink
    Wizard Utility: Prestidigitation
    Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
    Wizard Utility: Light
    Wizard Utility: Suggestion
    Sorcerer Attack 1: Blazing Starfall
    Wizard Attack 1: Thunderwave
    Sorcerer Attack 1: Explosive Pyre
    Wizard Attack 1: Flaming Sphere
    Wizard Utility 2: Moonstride
    Wizard Attack 3: Color Spray
    Sorcerer Attack 5: Thunder Leap
    Sorcerer Utility 6: Arcane Empowerment

FEATS
    Level 1: Enlarge Spell
    Level 2: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
    Level 4: Dual Implement Spellcaster
    Level 6: Unarmored Agility

ITEMS
    Accurate staff of Ruin +2 x1
    Magic Dagger +2

====== End ======
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wizard / Sorcerer Hybrid

Well, I see a decent blaster wizard build, but I'm not sure what the sorcerer half is adding to it? I think a pure wizard would serve you better.

Note that Dual Implement Spellcaster isn't very good until mid-paragon tier, and that Unarmored Agility is not really needed with int-to-AC and defensive utilities.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I guess this is a case where you can do this, but it still doesn't really make much sense to IMO. The feat sets that benefit each class are largely different, and I'm not sure there's room for both sets without leaving your defenses wide-open.

But if you think it's fun, go for it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Well, I see a decent blaster wizard build, but I'm not sure what the sorcerer half is adding to it? I think a pure wizard would serve you better.

Note that Dual Implement Spellcaster isn't very good until mid-paragon tier, and that Unarmored Agility is not really needed with int-to-AC and defensive utilities.
    Sorc adds, well, extra flavor. Dagger as implement. A few more points of damage on the at-will. The feats overlap, mostly, thus far...okay, mostly flavor. The board was slow. :-)

I'm leaning toward the Pyro Wizard. I'm curious as to what you'd take in lieu of DIS, though?

Spoiler: Pure Wizard
    Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Aedhan, level 6
    Pixie, Wizard (Mage)
    School: Pyromancy School
    School: Illusion School
    Expert Mage Option: Illusion School Expert
    Eldritch Harlequin (Eldritch Harlequin Benefit)
    Theme: Sarifal Feywarden

STR 13, CON 18, DEX 16, INT 22, WIS 16, CHA 21

AC: 21 Fort: 18 Ref: 20 Will: 21
    HP: 48 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +14, Bluff +16, History +14, Nature +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +6, Athletics +4, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +7, Heal +6, Insight +6, Intimidate +8, Perception +6, Religion +9, Stealth +10, Streetwise +8, Thievery +7

POWERS
    Sarifal Feywarden Utility: Sarifal's Blessing

Pixie Utility: Pixie Dust
    Pixie Utility: Shrink

Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
    Wizard Utility: Prestidigitation
    Wizard Utility: Light

Wizard Attack 1: Flaming Sphere
    Wizard Attack 1: Horrid Whispers
    Wizard Attack 1: Burning Hands
    Wizard Attack 1: Grasping Shadows
    Wizard Attack 1: Winged Horde
    Wizard Attack 1: Thunderwave
    Wizard Attack 1: Magic Missile

Wizard Utility 2: Moonstride
    History Utility 2: Root Understanding

Wizard Attack 3: Color Spray
    Wizard Attack 3: Fire Shroud

Wizard Attack 5: Visions of Avarice
    Wizard Attack 5: Summon Magma Beast

Bluff Utility 6: Fast Talk
    Pixie Utility 6: Pixie Invisibility

FEATS
    Level 1: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
    Level 2: Staff Expertise
    Level 4: Enlarge Spell

ITEMS
    Spirit Fetch
    Accurate staff of Ruin +2 x1
    Siberys Shard of the Mage (heroic tier)
    Cape of the Mountebank +1 x1
    Summoned Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2 x1
    Viper Belt x1

Make Whole
    Tenser's Floating Disk
    Pyrotechnics
    Enchant Magic Item
    Transfer Enchantment

====== End ======
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

5. - Top - End - #5

is Pixie a requirement?

Genasi and Tieflings make by far the best blasters due to racial support.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    is Pixie a requirement?

Genasi and Tieflings make by far the best blasters due to racial support.
    Pixie is necessary.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Some suggestions,

Pyromancy combines best with Evocation, and the damage bonuses stack.
    Sarifal is a good pick, and one of the reasons to not go tiefling or genasi (since neither of those races is fey).
    Note that there are some good cantrips out there, particularly those that let you roll Arcana for another skill.
    As your L1 spell, check out Orbmaster's Incendiary Detonation. It's an enlargeable fire spell that knocks enemies prone.
    Also, any pyromancer should look into Fire Shield at level 6. It's a solid selection of spells otherwise.
    I generally prefer starting with "flashy" feats like Arcane Familiar instead of "numerical bonus" feats like expertise. YMMV on that. Kudos on taking Enlarge Spell, it's vital to any blaster.
    Finally, I see you've already got resist poison; I recommend also getting an item of resisting fire, because that's another common damage type and of course a pyromancer should be able to deal with that.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

>Pyromancy combines best with Evocation, and the damage bonuses stack.

The Evocation buff adds approximately 0.42 to a 1d6 or 0.44 to a 1d8, assuming I have the arithmetic right; it'd be better for a 2d but I don't have sufficient caffeine to cope with the probability yet. By comparison, Illusion means I can hand out a -2 to hit debuff to everyone I hit with an Illusion power ("hello, Burst 5 Vision of Avarice"). Is that 0.44 damage really that much better?

>Note that there are some good cantrips out there, particularly those that let you roll Arcana for another skill.

I was tempted by Chameleon's Mask and Suggestion, but stealth is low-value in this campaign and no sane person will want Manic Pyro Pixie to be the party face, even if we didn't have a bard. And Ghost Sounds means my life will have background music.

>As your L1 spell, check out Orbmaster's Incendiary Detonation.

And the zone is friendly, unlike Grasping Shadows -- good catch. Change made.

>Finally, I see you've already got resist poison; I recommend also getting an item of resisting fire, because that's another common damage type and of course a pyromancer should be able to deal with that.

For the foreseeable future we're fighting Lolth's minions, and it's almost all poison and necrotic.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sorry if this isn't as relevant to your question, but what are the main differences between the two?
    I was also thinking perhaps looking at these differences would help you build a balanced sensible hybrid?

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Redrhino10 View Post
    Sorry if this isn't as relevant to your question, but what are the main differences between the two?
    I was also thinking perhaps looking at these differences would help you build a balanced sensible hybrid?
    • One is a striker, the other a controller. If you attempt to build the controller half as a striker, you can be successful, but doing so as a hybrid leads to the same issue all Striker|Striker hybrids have: you cannot benefit from both striker features at the same time.
    • They have no stat crossover. This is mitigated to a large degree by wizards' lack of a secondary stat and by the OP's abnormally high (rolled?) stats.
    • The best sorcerer feats do not work on wizard powers; the best wizard feats do not work on sorcerer powers.

Other than flavor, which is mainly a dichotomy between innate and learned magical prowess, those are the key differences.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Redrhino10 View Post
    Sorc does Area Damage and a little bit of control. Blaster Wizard does Area Damage and more control. Both Arcane power. Wizard wants INT, Sorcerer wants CHA and DEX (for a Storm or Wild build).

The main reason I want Sorc, specifically Wild Sorc, is because I'm having a hard time swallowing "He has the personality of a three year old child with a Red Bull addiction....and he's a focused scholar of magical knowledge." But at the end of the day, that's fluff and can be ignored.

"Sensible hybrid" is something on a contrdiction in terms; you're usually better not to hybrid. The only thing that makes this one plausible is that my DMs have an oddball way of generating stats, and I regularly sacrifice kittens to the Dice Gods.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    Sorc does Area Damage and a little bit of control. Blaster Wizard does Area Damage and more control. Both Arcane power. Wizard wants INT, Sorcerer wants CHA and DEX (for a Storm or Wild build).

The main reason I want Sorc, specifically Wild Sorc, is because I'm having a hard time swallowing "He has the personality of a three year old child with a Red Bull addiction....and he's a focused scholar of magical knowledge." But at the end of the day, that's fluff and can be ignored.

"Sensible hybrid" is something on a contrdiction in terms; you're usually better not to hybrid. The only thing that makes this one plausible is that my DMs have an oddball way of generating stats, and I regularly sacrifice kittens to the Dice Gods.
    Just because he's highly learned doesn't mean it's scholarly high learning which lead to a prim and proper demeanor. Even taking the stock fluff leaves you with innumerable options.

A wizard could very easily be:

• an insane recluse, muttering nonsense to themselves, clawing pseudo-sensical runes into a cave, in response to over-exposure to the far realm during or post-training.
    • a shy, bookish librarian/historian, who tends to his scrolls and tomes and hardly notices the world pass by
    • A graduate of the Trickster Academy, with honors in phantom fart noises (ghost sound), illusory banana peels(mystical debris), and self-levitating water buckets (mage hand).

In other words, just because a wizard devotes his life to accumulating magical knowledge doesn't automatically mean he falls into the boring middle category, nor does it necessarily dictate the focus of the knowledge the wizard seeks, or the means with which he does his research.

In heroic, with your stats, there's not much of a drawback to hybriding, but there's really not a benefit either. Still, it's entirely up to you.
    Last edited by Sol; 2015-01-29 at 03:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding evocation vs illusion, well, the thing is that around level 7 or so, you'll be using your at-will powers rarely or almost never. This is because combat lasts only 3-4 rounds, and you've got enough encounter/daily powers to cover that.

(edit) oh yeah, regarding cantrips, don't forget Spook...

And ok, if you foresee a lot of necrotic damage in your future, then get resistance to that :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    In heroic, with your stats, there's not much of a drawback to hybriding, but there's really not a benefit either. Still, it's entirely up to you.
    Well, the drawback of hybriding is that you don't get e.g. the spellbook feature, and as you said "The best sorcerer feats do not work on wizard powers; the best wizard feats do not work on sorcerer powers." So you effectively have to spend more feats to get the same benefit.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2015-01-29 at 05:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Ended up taking Detructive Wizardry, since the only single-target power I have is Magic Missile. Worked well.

As far as Evocation goes, for a 2d6 spell, the expected benefit is:

You roll at least one 1 for 11/36 of the rolls. Substitute the expected reroll value, 3.5, for each of those 1s (or for a single 1 if you roll snakeeyes). The average goes from 7.0 to 7.76.

For 2d8, you have 15:64 rolls which include a 1. The average goes from 9.0 to 9.82.